Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x
Thread Closed  

12-02-2020, 09:35   #1
TinyChancer

Tiny Homes

I'm not going to be working full time next year, which is great for my sanity and personal development but doesn't sit very well with the bank, who were going to give us mortgage approval for a home loan.

Were interested in modular or tiny homes. I still have a part time income coming in and the OH is full time so we'll be eligible for a smaller loan. Can anyone recommend any companies in South West Ireland doing them? I've looked into a few but they seem quite expensive and not great value on top of potentially needing to procure a site.

Any experience/insight welcome, thanks.
Thanks from:
Advertisement
12-02-2020, 10:13   #2
Ray Palmer

You probably can't get a mortgage for one only a loan.

When the people selling them say they are in a legal grey area that tends to mean they aren't legal but nobody has been prosecuted yet.

People have said they don't meet building regulation and the response from vendors seems to be there is no specific legislation for log cabins. That really means they have to pass all the standard regulations which many do not appear to comply with.

Local planning laws will determine where they can be placed and they appear to have to comply with standard planning laws. They could be considered the same as static caravans but they do need planning. Lots of the talk on the vendors sites seem to fudge this and focus on them as extensions to existing buildings.

They do initially seem like a reasonable idea but any investigation I do suggests there are many reasons not go down that route in Ireland.

The reality of living in them is also seems to be difficult. People seem to often need storage units and very disciplined on what they keep handy. Need to be incredibly organised and clean to work.
(2) thanks from:
12-02-2020, 12:16   #3
Caranica

Search this forum. They come up as "magic housing solutions" every few months.
12-02-2020, 12:25   #4
Gumbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinyChancer View Post
I'm not going to be working full time next year, which is great for my sanity and personal development but doesn't sit very well with the bank, who were going to give us mortgage approval for a home loan.

Were interested in modular or tiny homes. I still have a part time income coming in and the OH is full time so we'll be eligible for a smaller loan. Can anyone recommend any companies in South West Ireland doing them? I've looked into a few but they seem quite expensive and not great value on top of potentially needing to procure a site.

Any experience/insight welcome, thanks.
There was an exact thread like this recently, either here or over in the Construction and Planning forum.
Advertisement
12-02-2020, 12:45   #6
TinyChancer

Thanks, I searched tiny homes and there was nothing useful but those links look very good.

Planning regulations loophole is food for thought. The weather here is not ideal for anything lacking stability or wanting for insulation. The amount of space you'd have to give to that alone would make it more like a tiny room than any type of home.
12-02-2020, 12:51   #7
Ray Palmer

Quote:
Thanks, I searched tiny homes and there was nothing useful but those links look very good.

Planning regulations loophole is food for thought. The weather here is not ideal for anything lacking stability or wanting for insulation. The amount of space you'd have to give to that alone would make it more like a tiny room than any type of home.
You can get insulation that is a couple of mm thick and equivalent to 3 feet of old insulation so not the real issue. Building regs and planning are the biggest issues.
12-02-2020, 12:53   #8
Thisonedone

So does anyone know what the minimum size of a house you can build is in Ireland if you follow all the planning regs?
12-02-2020, 13:24   #9
Gumbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thisonedone View Post
So does anyone know what the minimum size of a house you can build is in Ireland if you follow all the planning regs?
Planning Regs dictate the size of the dwelling as I highlighted in your other thread on this matter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kceire View Post
There is a minimum for good design practices that will have to be passed by the Planning Department before you even approach the Building Regulation requirements.

Have a look at the Quality Housing for Sustainable Communities document by the Dept. of Environment, Heritage and Local Government.

Last edited by Gumbo; 12-02-2020 at 13:27.
(2) thanks from:
Advertisement
12-02-2020, 13:42   #10
sKeith

Quote:
Originally Posted by kceire View Post
Planning Regs dictate the size of the dwelling as I highlighted in your other thread on this matter.

I haven't read your other post. Can you put up a link to it or answer the question here.
12-02-2020, 14:11   #11
Gumbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by sKeith View Post
I haven't read your other post. Can you put up a link to it or answer the question here.
https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/show...#post112523985
Thanks from:
12-02-2020, 17:01   #12
Yellow_Fern

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Palmer View Post
You can get insulation that is a couple of mm thick and equivalent to 3 feet of old insulation so not the real issue.
I love the idea of tiny homes, but this isnt the case. The best insulation out there is vaccum panels. I did a back of the envelope calculation and to get vacumm panels to equal three feet of fibreglass you still have a panel 10 cm thick. Plus it is very expensive and a pin hole prick will render the whole thing useless. A more common solution would aerogel which would still be 40 cm. Both options very expensive.
Thanks from:
12-02-2020, 22:50   #13
TinyChancer

This is the company we were looking at. I can't find anything about planning permission so I'll get in touch with them tomorrow and find out.

A lot of the other threads had shipping containers and modified units like that... That seems very hard to imagine getting planning for, but maybe these tiny homes might get approval. You can also get modular ones that can be adapted to whatever space you have, which I'm looking into.
13-02-2020, 02:12   #14
Del2005

Quote:
This is the company we were looking at. I can't find anything about planning permission so I'll get in touch with them tomorrow and find out.

A lot of the other threads had shipping containers and modified units like that... That seems very hard to imagine getting planning for, but maybe these tiny homes might get approval. You can also get modular ones that can be adapted to whatever space you have, which I'm looking into.
If they are planning and building regulation compliant do you not think they'd advertise it? The fact that the website only mentions temporary uses doesn't inspire confidence.

It's been said here before that you can make a house out of anything you want, it's the cost of meeting our building regulations that makes building expensive not the materials used.
Thanks from:
13-02-2020, 02:24   #15
StupidLikeAFox

Quote:

€57k is the starting price? Why not just get a high end caravan or campervan? At least you will have something to sell on if you change your mind later
Thread Closed