Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tiny house dublin

Options
  • 12-09-2018 6:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Hellooo, was just wondering if anyone out there has attempted or succeeded in building a tiny house in dublin!!! It’s obviously not common at all so I’ve been finding it really difficult to get the idea off the ground or figure out if it’s even possible or realistic. I will give a disclaimer and say that I don’t know anything about property, construction etc so I am going into this totally blind. I also don’t even know where I could park the thing since there aren’t any mobile home sites close to the city as far as I’m aware and buying land is beyond my means. I could be totally out of my mind thinking it’s even an option but pls if you have any info or past experience let me know!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,283 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

probably no chance, our planning system doesn't allow any originality or new thinking at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,202 ✭✭✭overshoot

Read up on mews houses. Generally small houses built to the rear of large plots with access to a laneway.
    So it's not impossible, but your going to have to find the right site and zoning.

Edit there used to be a few viewable in open house Dublin. I haven't had a right look at this year's program as I'm not in the city but it's in October. So it would give you a good chance to question an owner or architect who may have been involved in it

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,441 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

probably no chance, our planning system doesn't allow any originality or new thinking at all.

God forbid we have minimum standards for bedrooms, bathrooms and living space.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

Not sure, but if it's on wheels (van conversion, or built upon a trailer) it might avoid much of the planning stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

You,d have to find a small site for sale ,its expensive to buy any site in dublin.
    Maybe you could build a small extension in someones garden,
    maybe you have a relative with a large garden.
    I built extension with a friend ,
    with 1 bathroom, 40x12 ft.On one side of his house.
    Single floor.He got planning permission,architects plans etc cost 1200 approx
    Its was easier as he connected to house for esb, water,etc
    eg he has only 1 esb meter, 1 water meter.

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/housing/planning_permission/planning_perm_altering_a_house.html

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 40,994 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Not sure, but if it's on wheels (van conversion, or built upon a trailer) it might avoid much of the planning stuff.

Nope

You still can’t just pull up and live there though. Technically.

riclad wrote: »
    You,d have to find a small site for sale ,its expensive to buy any site in dublin.
    Maybe you could build a small extension in someones garden,
    maybe you have a relative with a large garden.
    I built extension with a friend ,
    with 1 bathroom, 40x12 ft.On one side of his house.
    Single floor.He got planning permission,architects plans etc cost 1200 approx
    Its was easier as he connected to house for esb, water,etc
    eg he has only 1 esb meter, 1 water meter.

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/housing/planning_permission/planning_perm_altering_a_house.html

That’s just an extension to the main house. The main house owner would own the extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭Dudda

Have to disagree. It's originality that's missing sometimes from a lot of designers. Here is one example https://www.irishtimes.com/life-and-style/homes-and-property/cornering-the-market-a-sharp-new-build-in-clontarf-1.3284381
    Nobody could get planning permission for a decent house as you need a certain area of outdoor space. By having folding doors for the ground floor they enlarged the size of the garden allowing a two story 120sqm house.

A new build small house in Dublin is very rare and difficult but not impossible.
    Finding a site, finding a cheap site (cheap in this case as it was refused planning twice), finding a good architect who can make the site work and get planning permission.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,009 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Dudda wrote: »
    Have to disagree. It's originality that's missing sometimes from a lot of designers
    Originality is expensive because nobody exactly knows what they're doing. It's always cheaper to copy.

So arguably the problem is that clients don't want to pay for good original designs, or rather would prefer to spend the money on floor to ceiling bifold doors or whatever other trendy crap is fashionable at the time.

Lumen wrote: »
    Originality is expensive because nobody exactly knows what they're doing. It's always cheaper to copy.

So arguably the problem is that clients don't want to pay for good original designs, or rather would prefer to spend the money on floor to ceiling bifold doors or whatever other trendy crap is fashionable at the time.

Spoke to a girl today who battered the builders down to the penny to get the lowest price for an extension claiming poverty and using every last cent they had.....then comes the fit out and in comes the Range cooker!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,599 ✭✭✭scwazrh

kceire wrote: »
    Spoke to a girl today who battered the builders down to the penny to get the lowest price for an extension claiming poverty and using every last cent they had.....then comes the fit out and in comes the Range cooker!

Always have to laugh at this type of thing on site .Customers wanting to skimp on insulation or solar panels due to not having enough cash and then the granite counters are spec'ed for the kitchen.

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭mike_2009

There's a trial by Naas local council but haven't heard of any others. There's a Tiny House facebook group that has all the legalities pinned which is worth a read. I'll PM you link to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Effects

kceire wrote: »
    God forbid we have minimum standards for bedrooms, bathrooms and living space.

But then you have an issue like I had a couple of years ago, where DCC wanted me to have 60 sq m of garden space for a one bed, 88 sq m house. Completely overkill and not cost effective.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Effects

Dudda wrote: »
    Have to disagree. It's originality that's missing sometimes from a lot of designers. Here is one example https://www.irishtimes.com/life-and-style/homes-and-property/cornering-the-market-a-sharp-new-build-in-clontarf-1.3284381

But what was the cost of that house? It's completely bespoke, and expensive to construct. Anything different to the norm is.
    It's an amazing house, I went to see it last year. Incredibly detailed inside.
    Architects fees obviously not included either as it was his own site.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

I'd hardly call 60m2 overkill?

I agree though that the rules are too stifling - there's practically nothing to distinguish any newish house from any other newish house. Even in country areas where you've a few hundred "1 off" houses where you'd expect to find a bit of originality there's practically no difference.

• Subscribers Posts: 40,994 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

I'd hardly call 60m2 overkill?

I agree though that the rules are too stifling - there's practically nothing to distinguish any newish house from any other newish house. Even in country areas where you've a few hundred "1 off" houses where you'd expect to find a bit of originality there's practically no difference.

There's a large cohort that don't value design and just want the largest floor area they can afford.

The problem lies with the councils for giving bland generic designs permission

Effects wrote: »
    But then you have an issue like I had a couple of years ago, where DCC wanted me to have 60 sq m of garden space for a one bed, 88 sq m house. Completely overkill and not cost effective.

DCC Development Plan always stated 15 Sq. M per bed space. Now obviously 15 Sq. M would not be enough, but for a one bed house with a footprint of 88 sq. M, they probably allowed for future alterations to convert to 2 bedroom as 88 Sq. M would be very high for a one bed.

Im currently doing 2 bed bungalows with 62 Sq. M.

Advertisement