Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bike on a plane...

Options
  • 24-04-2018 9:27am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭

Grateful if anyone can share any knowledge or experience on this.

Need to take a flight with bicycle. Somewhat nervous about it.

Main question is does a specific bike check in result in some different handling of the luggage? Ryanair fee is €60. However I'm pretty sure I can get the bag under 20kg and just check it in as normal luggage. Will ryanair or others accept this as normal luggage? More importantly, will paying the extra fee result in the bike being handled any differently to a regular suitcase (happy to pay for for that!).

Thanks very much for any wisdom anyone can share.

Ps, gonna go for the SCICON AEROCOMFORT 2.0 bike bag.....

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,396 ✭✭✭RocketRaccoon

It will cost more as it is a bulky item, no matter the weight and it will not receive any special treatment. It will be handled the same as any other suitcase.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,257 Mod ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

If you can rent a hard case that would be ideal, I travelled to the IOM with the bike and it didn't get on the same flight as me so had to wait a day till it arrived and it was beat up when I got it but a friend of mine had a luggage car drive over the middle of his colnago master frame and flattened it. both in soft bags with pipe insulation on the main tubes.

Luggage is luggage and its treated the same as anything else so prepare accordingly

• Registered Users Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭wersal gummage

Thanks. I will look into the price a courier company charges so, might be safer.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

I wrapped my bike in clear plastic* (remove pedals and twist handlebars 90 degrees first) and presented it like that. Got looked after well (I was able to see the handlers load and unload the plane) and didn't get thrown around, squashed or anything.

*Clear plastic courtesy of my local bed shop...

^
    You are a brave man!

• Advertisement

I spoke with aerlingus who told me that the bikes are stored in a special area on the plane...... Even if true, I guess they could be damaged getting on and off the plane...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

^
    You are a brave man!

It's based on psychology. Baggage handlers are not out to smash up your luggage but it gets caught in the crossfire of tight deadlines and inadequate staffing. A bike in a bag/case is just another bit of (heavy) luggage to load and could end up on the bottom.

OTOH, a thing that is clearly a bicycle is obviously different, won't go in at the bottom of a pile easily and won't be gratuitously trampled/hacked.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,396 ✭✭✭RocketRaccoon

I spoke with aerlingus who told me that the bikes are stored in a special area on the plane...... Even if true, I guess they could be damaged getting on and off the plane...

Depending on the aircraft type it will either go into the bulk hold or in the forward hold with buggies etc.

On a Ryanair it is in the same hold as all the other bags, usually on the floor with bags stacked on top of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭brownian

cdaly_ wrote: »
    It's based on psychology. Baggage handlers are not out to smash up your luggage but it gets caught in the crossfire of tight deadlines and inadequate staffing. A bike in a bag/case is just another bit of (heavy) luggage to load and could end up on the bottom.

OTOH, a thing that is clearly a bicycle is obviously different, won't go in at the bottom of a pile easily and won't be gratuitously trampled/hacked.

Sadly, not to be relied upon. Four of us took this approach last year flying home from Treviso with Ryanair. The butcher's bill: one bike destroyed (frame irreperable), one bike damaged (one wheel dead), one bike oddly abraded (shaved away 4mm from the head tube- must have dragged the bike upside down, or left it sitting against some sort of rotating abrasive surface.

It's an attractive idea (and cheap, and easy to carry with you)...but I won't be trying this again.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

Aer Lingus are a disaster with bikes! you can't book a bike onto a flight via their website. you have to call them and book over the phone. They also have a limit of 10 bikes per flight!

• Advertisement

[quote=07Lapierre;Aer Lingus are a disaster with bikes! you can't book a bike onto a flight via their website. you have to call them and book over the phone. They also have a limit of 10 bikes per flight![/quote]

Yeah, thanks. I have spoken with them and booked one of the 10 spaces! Seems limiting to 10 is better than Ryanair if those 10 are cared for/stored in a specific area of the plane away from rest of the luggage? As per comments above, the bike on Ryanair will just be lobbed in with everything else....

Ps, I was on hold for about 2 minutes with Aerlingus before getting through and quickly booking the bike on... Agree that online would be easier but it wasn't exactly a disaster in the grand scheme of things!

Yeah, thanks. I have spoken with them and booked one of the 10 spaces! Seems limiting to 10 is better than Ryanair if those 10 are cared for/stored in a specific area of the plane away from rest of the luggage? As per comments above, the bike on Ryanair will just be lobbed in with everything else....

Ps, I was on hold for about 2 minutes with Aerlingus before getting through and quickly booking the bike on... Agree that online would be easier but it wasn't exactly a disaster in the grand scheme of things!

Your obviously not flying to Lyon in July! ;)

p.s. you flight booking is no longer an online booking, so you can't check in in advance.
    p.p.s. I don't believe for a second that they are stored in a "Special" place on the plane or that AL baggage handlers are any different to any other airline.

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭Euro Fred

Snakes are cheaper

• Registered Users Posts: 877 ✭✭✭mamax

Let's hope you don't get these guys ;)

https://youtu.be/wpOMXWkmiX4

• Registered Users Posts: 24,960 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

If the airline is using an independent contractor, it will be them who will be handling your bike - not Aer Lingus, Ryanair etc.

(For the record, I've travelled many times with the bike and have never had any damage. Much more damaging is the shite you have to listen to from some check in staff especially on internal US flights where they try to charge you for the bike and an additional charge for 'sporting goods'.)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,565 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

The airline has no input on how the luggage is treated so get that out of your head quickly. There is zero difference between Ryanair and AL for transport of bikes - both use ground-based baggage handlers for loading/unloading and this is where the problems occur. Baggage handlers couldn't give a fcuk one way or the other but you can be lucky and escape with no damage, it's only a matter of time though.

The higher Ryanair fee allows you to transport up to 30kg in the bike bag, versus 23kg for AL (€50), and this can be handy if heading away for more than a few days to an event etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,166 ✭✭✭✭ED E

If your bike is low value, rent over there.

If your bike is expensive, buy a bike box. Bags aren't enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 815 ✭✭✭1bryan

Grateful if anyone can share any knowledge or experience on this.

Need to take a flight with bicycle. Somewhat nervous about it.

Main question is does a specific bike check in result in some different handling of the luggage? Ryanair fee is €60. However I'm pretty sure I can get the bag under 20kg and just check it in as normal luggage. Will ryanair or others accept this as normal luggage? More importantly, will paying the extra fee result in the bike being handled any differently to a regular suitcase (happy to pay for for that!).

Thanks very much for any wisdom anyone can share.

Ryanair charge 60 each way but allow 30kg. The last time I flew with Aer lingus they charged 50 each way but only allowed 25kg. I'd struggle to get my bike box under that (but aer lingus are generally fairly decent about excess kgs - particularly if your clothes luggage comes in under weight).

I use a hard shell case but it's hard to transport due to the lack of a proper handle on it. I've been investigating reasonably priced alternatives but have yet to come up with something in the 300-400 euro price range that hasn't had at least something negative said about it.

For the time being I'll stick with what I have. Paid 350 for it around 10 years back and it's come on around 20 flights with me without ever having had my bike sustain any damage.

The last time I flew was 2 weeks ago and I saw the luggage being transported to the plane. The bikes were stood up vertically at one end, with suitcases packing the rest of the space. Looked very secure.

The only problem I've found is when they put the bike out on the luggage belt when you arrive. As often as not, they put it wheel-side down. Still haven't suffered damage but I get nervous every time that happens.

ED E wrote: »
    If your bike is low value, rent over there.

If your bike is expensive, buy a bike box. Bags aren't enough.

The Ventoux Box is your only man! :)

http://www.buxumbox.com/ventoux-box/

mamax wrote: »
    Let's hope you don't get these guys ;)

https://youtu.be/wpOMXWkmiX4

Better still.....Assume you will get those guys and pack your bike accordingly! ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,524 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

Looks like a very nice bag... You've nothing to be nervous about, would be very very unlucky if something happened to your bike from the Dublin airport side anyways!

MojoMaker wrote: »
    The higher Ryanair fee allows you to transport up to 30kg in the bike bag, versus 23kg for AL (€50), and this can be handy if heading away for more than a few days to an event etc.

The higher RA fee is due to them being more greedy! :D Not to the actual weight...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,270 ✭✭✭spyderski

A few points on this.

1. Other posters are correct - Ryanair or Aer Lingus doesn’t matter - the same ground crew will be loading the plane.

2. I have never seen the weight limit for either airline being enforced. That covers Dublin, Bologna, Lyon, Paris and Las Palmas Airports. You hand the bike to Oversized Baggage after you have been given your boarding pass etc. So they don’t get the chance to charge you for excess weight.

3. Do not use a soft bag (such as the Scicon). Only a hard case will do. And if your bike gets damaged under “normal” handling, the Airline will not cover damage due to insufficient packing. Even if they do it will be covered by the Warsaw/Montreal Convention, which will only pay a set amount per KG. Maximum across all your luggage will be about €1500, so you might get say €1k at the very most for total destruction of your bike, if you could prove the damage occurred due to negligent handling.

spyderski wrote: »
    ....2. I have never seen the weight limit for either airline being enforced. That covers Dublin, Bologna, Lyon, Paris and Las Palmas Airports. You hand the bike to Oversized Baggage after you have been given your boarding pass etc. So they don’t get the chance to charge you for excess weight....
    Nor have I but one of our club members was charged excess on an AL flights a few weeks ago. Think it was €10 per kg over.

Nor have I but one of our club members was charged excess on an AL flights a few weeks ago. Think it was €10 per kg over.

Interesting. Any idea what Airport?

A few points on this.

1. Other posters are correct - Ryanair or Aer Lingus doesn’t matter - the same ground crew will be loading the plane.

2. I have never seen the weight limit for either airline being enforced. That covers Dublin, Bologna, Lyon, Paris and Las Palmas Airports. You hand the bike to Oversized Baggage after you have been given your boarding pass etc. So they don’t get the chance to charge you for excess weight.

3. Do not use a soft bag (such as the Scicon). Only a hard case will do. And if your bike gets damaged under “normal” handling, the Airline will not cover damage due to insufficient packing. Even if they do it will be covered by the Warsaw/Montreal Convention, which will only pay a set amount per KG. Maximum across all your luggage will be about €1500, so you might get say €1k at the very most for total destruction of your bike, if you could prove the damage occurred due to negligent handling.

I've had my bike box weighed a few times, but thankfully I've never been over the stated weight limit. The fact that WA says someone was charged for excess baggage charge by Aer Lingus does not surprise me one bit!

07Lapierre wrote: »
    I've had my bike box weighed a few times, but thankfully I've never been over the stated weight limit. The fact that WA says someone was charged for excess baggage charge by Aer Lingus does not surprise me one bit!

Yeah, they weigh them every time, it’s just always after they’ve processed your boarding card and other baggage. The O/S baggage belt has a scales built in. Last time I flew mine was 42kg! Bike box alone weighs 13kg so easy to go over the weight limit. I’ve said for ages the airlines will catch on some day. Maybe that day has arrived...

Thanks for all the comments.

For cost and subsequent storage reasons I'm not willing to go with the hard case.... Realise that I could well regret that decision. Will do some research on anything I can do to make the packing as secure as possible, although of course I know it can't be the same as a hard case. The bike bag is 9kg and I guess the bike with pedals is a little under 8kg, so I have a few kg of bubble wrap or whatever to play with!

Interesting. Any idea what Airport?
    Not sure what airport - think he was returning from Tour of Flanders Sportive or one of the classics sportives.

• Advertisement

Last time I flew mine was 42kg! Bike box alone weighs 13kg so easy to go over the weight limit. I’ve said for ages the airlines will catch on some day. Maybe that day has arrived...

You're lucky! Anything 32KG is pushing it, means that they have to get 3 baggage handlers to load/unload the bag, which slows up the process of unloading the aircraft...

Advertisement