Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Big Little Lies (HBO) [** Spoilers **]

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭ondarack

Myself an my wife were watching this on sky Atlantic on demand but it's seemed to have disappeared. We were on to the last episode and all, does anyone know if it will be coming back onto sky?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,479 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

ondarack wrote: »
    Myself an my wife were watching this on sky Atlantic on demand but it's seemed to have disappeared. We were on to the last episode and all, does anyone know if it will be coming back onto sky?

The 30 or so days probably ran out. Probably won't come back unless second season is coming soon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,031 ✭✭✭✭bnt

I'm halfway through the first episode, but am already enjoying this a lot while trying to avoid spoilers. The family of Madeline Martha MacKenzie (what a name) are cracking me up, especially the youngest daughter Chloe, who's totally laid back and cranking up King Kong by The Mothers of Invention on the stereo. I like her already. :p

Death has this much to be said for it:
    You don’t have to get out of bed for it.
    Wherever you happen to be
    They bring it to you—free.

— Kingsley Amis

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭Pinkman

Is it just me or has this been taken down from Sky's on demand service? No repeats even showing when I type it into the search.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Good show. Found the first episode or two a bit of a slog but once it takes off, it really becomes quite gripping. I thought the 'twist' was obvious by the third episode, but the whole affair just works pretty well that I didn't mind, I just appreciated the journey. No idea if they're making a second season, but it does work extremely well as a once off so it's well worth watching regardless of whether it's renewed or not.

Great performances all round, but particularly Kidman and Skarsgrad. I'd recommend it to anyone, and really urge people to stick with it even if the opener doesn't quite grab them because it really does reach high points I'd never have expected of it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,509 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Coming back for a second run, 7 episodes.

Deadline

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

Oh wow! Delighted!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,383 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

Andrea Arnold directing the entire season? Interesting and excellent choice if so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,498 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

JP Liz V1 wrote: »

Well that's the Best Actress category sorted for the next Emmy and Golden Globes..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭Klonker

Watched this after reading the book ( which was fantastic) and just couldn't take to this at all. Tone was off, was made very OTT American while book is based in Australia abd ut just messes the tone and feel of show. Nicole Kidman is so badly cast it's actually unbelievably. Agree with everyone it looks and songs great but that's not enough to make a good show for me.

Anyway if anyone gets a chance read the book even if you've already seen the show, very enjoyable :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,473 ✭✭✭longshotvalue

JP Liz V1 wrote: »

That's a pity, biggest over actor going.. Hard to watch anything she is in

• Registered Users Posts: 889 ✭✭✭messy tessy

Klonker wrote: »
    Nicole Kidman is so badly cast it's actually unbelievably

Thought she was absolutely perfect in this. I would have imagined it would be very hard to fault her performance throughout series.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭Klonker

Thought she was absolutely perfect in this. I would have imagined it would be very hard to fault her performance throughout series.

Couldn't disagree more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,752 ✭✭✭johnpatrick81

I usually quite dislike her, but she was immaculate in this. I couldn’t imagine any other actress playing her role any better than she managed.

• Advertisement

Same I thought she was outstanding. And I wouldn’t rate her normally, in fact I usually find her quite irritating. Her solo scenes with the therapist were brilliant.
    Looking forward to season 2. Not a fan of Meryl though, so, there’s that.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,674 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

I know we're getting it anyway, but we didn't need a second season of this. It was a complete story.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,509 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

• Closed Accounts Posts: 498 ✭✭BobbyBobberson

Jesus I love that programme. I was annoyed when they announced the second series but have to say I am looking forward to it now.

What a soundtrack on Series 1.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,695 ✭✭✭Lisha

Jesus I love that programme. I was annoyed when they announced the second series but have to say I am looking forward to it now.

What a soundtrack on Series 1.

Omg I saw no need for the second series but after seeing that trailer I want it now damnit!!!
    Oh what a sound track on s1 I’ve high hopes for season2

Full trailer. The walls start to close in from June 9th.

Well, based on the first episode I don't see them regretting a second season. Despite the recap I'd forgotten much of the first season. 2.01 had a those sharp exchanges and Meryl's scream. :o Police tapes pending...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,695 ✭✭✭Lisha

I loved ep1 series 2.... well worth a watch

Loved the recap and I was drawn into the show immediately. I have high hopes for the season.

Glad to see Harvest Moon back on the playlist. It was my first dance song (Neil Young’s version) and Monterrey and driving over the wooden bridge on the PCH was part of my honeymoon road trip :)

Big Little Lies season 2, episode 1 music (every song in order of appearance)

Joan Jett - 'Bad Reputation'
    The Spinners - 'I'll Be Around'
    Jimmy Ruffin - 'What Becomes Of The Broken Hearted'
    Diana Ross - 'It's My House'
    Sufjan Stevens - 'Mystery of Love'
    Portishead - 'The Rip'
    Cassandra Wilson - 'Harvest Moon'
    Sinead O'Connor - 'All Apologies'
    Phoebe Killdeer and The Short Straws - 'Fade Out Line'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,047 ✭✭✭Unearthly

Meryl Streep was hilarious to Reese Witherspoon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,031 ✭✭✭✭bnt

Unearthly wrote: »
    The very definition of "loose cannon" - you get the impression she's capable of just about anything. I guess we will find out, won't we?

Death has this much to be said for it:
    You don’t have to get out of bed for it.
    Wherever you happen to be
    They bring it to you—free.

— Kingsley Amis

I thought it was excellent. To be honest whey Streep chooses not only to go into TV but to go into a show in its second series then you know it is going to be a good show.

Music was great, I love the soundtrack from the first and hope to hear some new tunes here.

Loved it as an opener! Was a bit dubious when I heard it was being made - and it was a lot more melodramatic/soapy than original which is kind of a pity - but see why they had to go in that direction. Hope it doesn't go tooo crazy on that front, but suspect it will unfortunately.
    Soundtrack fantastic again and looks like the husbands (mostly Reese's) may get more of a role this season. The younger cast were amazing season 1 - so sweet to see them all a few years older now!

Cali_girl wrote: »
    Loved it as an opener! Was a bit dubious when I heard it was being made - and it was a lot more melodramatic/soapy than original which is kind of a pity - but see why they had to go in that direction. Hope it doesn't go tooo crazy on that front, but suspect it will unfortunately.
    Soundtrack fantastic again and looks like the husbands (mostly Reese's) may get more of a role this season. The younger cast were amazing season 1 - so sweet to see them all a few years older now!

I thought the two husbands were excellent last year but especially Adam Scott.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,654 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

Unearthly wrote: »

Her "apology" in the realtor's office was brilliant!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭Credit Checker Moose

I have to say not liking Streep.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,016 ✭✭✭Shelga

Burst out laughing at Renata's
    "Make sure they know my daughter was in a coma" at the assembly, you could barely hear it
    :pac:

Not sure season 2 is quite as good as season 1 but watching these actresses spark off each other is still 20x better than anything else on TV, now that Chernobyl is over!

I thought it was the weakest episode so far. I mean it is still such a great programme, but just thought this episode was not up to the usual standards. Renata was quality this week I have to say.

Watched episode one and wasn’t tempted to watch the rest. It just doesn’t have the same appeal this time around for me.

I liked 2.03. Remarkable how pretty much all of them skirt towards or implode sometimes. Privately, or publicly. Madeliene's freak out at the school meeting. :pac: And with Meryl chipping away...well. Renata has the worst sense of entitlement I've seen in a character I've seen in quite some time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,498 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

What's the deal with the therapist?

Keep Renata poor :p

• Registered Users Posts: 889 ✭✭✭messy tessy

Renata was quality this week I have to say.

Renata has easily become my favourite character in this.

Not liking this season so far. Finding it really boring.

• Advertisement

catching up on s02e02 now. it's wonderful watching these actresses bounce off each other

According to my other half, Witherspoon had something up on social media the other day indicating that the next episode was going to be big. I wonder was that in response to what was a poorish enough episode last week. Looking forward either way!

Watched episode four, just isnt hitting for me. Laura Dern was excellent again though, she is having a stormer of a series. Anyone else watch it?

Episode 5 last night and it really is weak compared to last season. Still a decent watch but it is beyond slow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭cdgalwegian

Watched episode four, just isnt hitting for me. Laura Dern was excellent again though, she is having a stormer of a series. Anyone else watch it?

Watched episode 2 last week, and already thinking of dropping it. Certainly Laura Dern has moved it up a notch, though I might keep going coz of Meryl Streep; I was never a fan, but she's excellent in it.
    Kiwanuka's Theme tune, Cold Little Heart, had me hooked in the first few seconds of season 1: the ensuing season was quite enjoyable, with its various pros and cons. This season though, for the moment at least, has no clear direction. Most likely it will centre around Streep's tenacity regarding what happened, but it's only got the feel of trying to have something it pulled off well in season 1; making the problems of self-centred rich Americans entertaining, with a background whodunnit, whizzing along with cool tunes until a dramatic finale. Only this time, the central conceit is gone, in that it's no longer a whodunnit. So they seem to have their eye on the prize of a dramatic finale again, but not doing a great job with lead-up. Time will tell: I think I'll wait for further reviews before continuing.

I'm enjoying it - how things are crumbling and how this is depicted.
    Only this time, the central conceit is gone, in that it's no longer a whodunnit. So they seem to have their eye on the prize of a dramatic finale again, but not doing a great job with lead-up. Time will tell: I think I'll wait for further reviews before continuing.

It's hard to ignore that feeling - like they're chasing a finale that'll be a hook into a 'we never planned this originally, but feck it, we're going for a third season'. Everything will be in tatters at the end because we need to explore that next time.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭cdgalwegian

OK, this might explain some things. Looks like Andrea Arnold got screwed over. Shame.

https://www.indiewire.com/2019/07/big-little-lies-season-2-andrea-arnold-lost-creative-control-jean-marc-vallee-1202156884/

Quite an interesting article; one generally hears that about films re creative control- not so much with long form tv.
    I quite liked American Honey and Red Road, and loved Fish Tank, so was really pleased to see Andrea Arnold's name at the opening credits; the article goes some way to explaining the current meanderings. As it happens, I was "encouraged" to watch episode 3, and was glad I did, as I enjoyed it. It does seem to be coalescing around its new central conceit (as per not very spoilery spoiler in my previous post). It'll need to solidify fairly sharpish though, or it'll be a very uneven season, where some remarkable talent will be squandered.

They certainly put Celeste through the grinder for the first half of the court stuff, Mary Louise's presence was felt without her saying a word. Touch of pulling things out of the hat with end and Celeste turning things around, but it seems there's a theme here about survival, within the show overall. The writers are really turning the screws on Bonnie too.

Imagine a car journey with Renata. :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,823 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

My biggest issue with Season 2 has been Bonnie's story, I find it extremely dull and any scene that involves her mother makes me want to switch off my TV.

Aside from that I'm enjoying it though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,016 ✭✭✭Shelga

I’ve enjoyed season 2 but it could never live up to the first season, seeing as it focuses on the aftermath of an event, and not its own, properly-defined plot.

I’m not sure I think it was really necessary... although Meryl was great.

• Advertisement
Advertisement