Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Bon Jovi, RDS, 15th June 2019

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭imitation

Weepsie wrote: »
    Were the Manics on that early yesterday?.friend said they were on at 7 , but I never know to trust his recollection even if sober.

Yeah I went mainly for Manics, they were only on at 6.50 and were gone again at 7.50, bit disappointing to loose at least 30 minutes.

• Site Banned Posts: 20,686 ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

imitation wrote: »
    Yeah I went mainly for Manics, they were only on at 6.50 and were gone again at 7.50, bit disappointing to loose at least 30 minutes.

Ah Ive seen them a lot, easily my most seen band, so an hour to keep me going is fine by me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,564 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

Any where nearby fir a scent pint? On the way on from Stephens green?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,900 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

OwaynOTT wrote: »
    Any where nearby fir a scent pint? On the way on from Stephens green?

O donoghues is a nice spot and not that far of a walk to the venue

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭Captain_Crash

Any tickets for tonight anyone? Was gold circle last night and wanna go again!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,795 ✭✭✭sweetie

I've two tickets for first to quote me. No PM's thanks

GONE thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭keeponrockin

sweetie wrote: »
    DONE!

• Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭colmufc

DeanAustin wrote: »
    Jon was quite dignified through the whole fiasco but did say a couple of times that he could no longer trust Richie. He also said that year was the worst of his life and a good deal of it was down to Richie not showing up. There’s also a rumour that Richie was intending to come back for the back end of that tour and Jon wouldn’t have it. As far as the band goes, I think Richie’s burned his bridges.

If he’s back and I’m proven wrong, I’ll buy your ticket for the gig.

The reason Jon had such a difficult year was down to his daughter going to rehab , there were rumours that richie passed a comment about Jon being on his high horse regarding drugs when he couldn't keep.his own daughter in check but that seems to have been rubbished , at the end of the day he may return if they work out a less hectic tour maybe follow the Metallica method 2 weeks on 2 weeks off

sweetie wrote: »

Ahh ****, a min too late

imitation wrote: »

We didn't lose any maniac stage time they were getting the time the got no matter when they started Jovi were never going to be on for 8.10 last night it's really only a cop out from mcd to get people into the venue on time so as not to create a rush at the gates

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭rushfan

dobman88 wrote:
    Came on about 6.40. Bon Jovi was on at 8.30 and played until 10.40. Encore finished at 11

Manics on at 7 on the nosey, off at 7.50. My first time seeing Bon Jovi, thought the sound was fine, stage backdrop was amazing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

colmufc wrote: »
    We didn't lose any maniac stage time they were getting the time the got no matter when they started Jovi were never going to be on for 8.10 last night it's really only a cop out from mcd to get people into the venue on time so as not to create a rush at the gates

Or sell more booze. ?. Never ever saw so many pissed ppl at a gig in my life.

We had 2 idiots infront of us who were acting the maggot all night and I passed them on the way out they were collapsed on top of each other on the grass ,but thankfully didn't see much of that ,I'd say tonight will be worse as the crowd will probably be much more casual with the amount of free tickets going

Any tickets for tonight anyone? Was gold circle last night and wanna go again!

There were loads of tickets floating around last night. Was even offered FREE ones. Tonight shouldn't be a problem

• Registered Users Posts: 3,855 ✭✭✭DeanAustin

colmufc wrote: »
    The reason Jon had such a difficult year was down to his daughter going to rehab , there were rumours that richie passed a comment about Jon being on his high horse regarding drugs when he couldn't keep.his own daughter in check but that seems to have been rubbished , at the end of the day he may return if they work out a less hectic tour maybe follow the Metallica method 2 weeks on 2 weeks off

His daughter overdosed in 2012. Im sure that played a part in his bad time the following year but most articles mentioned Richie, the record label fallout and the failed Buffalo Bills bid. For example:

https://www.google.ie/amp/s/amp.ft.com/content/a3951c6c-d788-11e6-944b-e7eb37a6aa8e

You mustn't have been at Liam Gallagher in Malahide last year so.

rushfan wrote: »
    You mustn't have been at Liam Gallagher in Malahide last year so.

Dealt with him in a previous life. I was talking about punters though :).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

We've bought some Gold Circle tickets so happy to pass our free standing etickets on to the first person that can answer the following question.

I'll PM the first user that posts the correct answer so don't answer unless you really want the tickets.

Before Bob Jovi was formed Jon was performing in an Asbury Park club and Springsteen got on stage and preformed a few songs with him..... what was the name of that club?

d21336e6285d5c69.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭Diarmuid

We've bought some Gold Circle tickets so happy to pass our free standing etickets on to the first person that can answer the following question.

I'll PM the first user that posts the correct answer so don't answer unless you really want the tickets.

Before Bob Jovi was formed Jon was performing in an Asbury Park club and Springsteen got on stage and preformed a few songs with him..... what was the name of that club?

d21336e6285d5c69.jpg

The Fast Lane?

Probably more tonight given lots of us have free tix. Thankfully my friend is badly hungover, so it'll be just the one for me

• Advertisement

Dealt with him in a previous life. I was talking about punters though .

As you were!! 😂

There were loads of tickets floating around last night. Was even offered FREE ones. Tonight shouldn't be a problem

Got sorted in the end!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 24,005 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

I was at the gig last night and I thought it was brilliant, the Manics did a great set when they were clearly cut up about their sound guy who died a week ago.

For the main even, while it's clear that JBJ doesn't have the vocal range anymore and is covered by the rest of the band he's well able to put on a show.

1 thing that REALLY annoyed me about the gig was all the smokers, I forgot how disgusting smoking is and I had 5 people around me chain smoke through the whole thing.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,535 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

Clareman wrote: »
    I was at the gig last night and I thought it was brilliant, the Manics did a great set when they were clearly cut up about their sound guy who died a week ago.

For the main even, while it's clear that JBJ doesn't have the vocal range anymore and is covered by the rest of the band he's well able to put on a show.

1 thing that REALLY annoyed me about the gig was all the smokers, I forgot how disgusting smoking is and I had 5 people around me chain smoke through the whole thing.

Or the idiots who hold their cigarettes burning end facing out, so that they burn people who walk past

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 378 ✭✭conical

2 free tickets if anyone can use them?
    (babysitter just fell through)

Edit (for tonight, Sunday 16 June)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,381 ✭✭✭lolie

Spare E ticket for this evenings gig if anyone wants to use
    it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭but1er

Refused at the gate told my ticket was ready used. Gutted no idea how, anyone else with the free tickets any trouble

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,400 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

but1er wrote: »
    Refused at the gate told my ticket was ready used. Gutted no idea how, anyone else with the free tickets any trouble

Was that one you got yourself from TM via Three or did someone give it to you?

Thanks for the ticket Nutzz. Thought the Manics were great, but it was my 15th time seeing them I think.

Bon Jovi I approached very casually. I expected to know a lot more songs than I did, but I think over here at least, unless youre a fan and have the album's that only a handful of their songs ever get radio play.

With that said, I knew every word to every Manics songs where as a lot people there knew A design for life and 1 or 2 others at most.

Also, Bon Jovi blatantly lifted a Metallica riff, had a song that sounded like Oh Darling at one point, another that sounded like Crazy Train for a bit

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,152 ✭✭✭893bet

Did you buy it second hand?

Kudos to them for playing for over 2.5 hours though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,240 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

Kudos to them for playing for over 2.5 hours though

Absolutely. That, and for covering so many decades of their back catalogue. Anyone who complains are just dick swinging.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 709 ✭✭✭frogstar

Brilliant gig.

Played one of my favourites that I've never heard live but was lost on a lot of people... Wanna make a memory

Did tico tease the start of Always but then played bed of roses?

Encore was fantastic, 4 songs and well over curfew

Manics were great but think a more rock band would have suited better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭Mrs Shuttleworth

Similar thing happened to me at Slayer gig 3Arena last year. Got a free ticket from the security company in charge, only read the seat and the row, got there seat was taken, Girl in seat sees my ticket which has her name on it, she throws a banshee strop as to how I had her ticket for which I had no explanation other than was given to me in good faith.

Brilliant show tonite from Mr BJ and RDS was great all round, bars toilets and food were seamless, no queueing issues at all, sound was amazing and place was packed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,625 ✭✭✭✭okidoki987

Similar thing happened to me at Slayer gig 3Arena last year. Got a free ticket from the security company in charge, only read the seat and the row, got there seat was taken, Girl in seat sees my ticket which has her name on it, she throws a banshee strop as to how I had her ticket for which I had no explanation other than was given to me in good faith.

Did they not scan both tickets?
    If so and she was sitting in the seat, how did you get in with same bar code?

• Advertisement

okidoki987 wrote: »
    Did they not scan both tickets?
    If so and she was sitting in the seat, how did you get in with same bar code?

Good question and a complete mystery. Ticket scanned perfectly for me at the door.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,141 ✭✭✭ConcertKing

Jons voice really is gone and afraid to say it wasn't a patch on the last time I saw them in 2011 at the same venue.

Being a drowned rat from the rain didn't help either I guess.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,253 ✭✭✭ooter

what was the craic with the cap, if he stuck that on to stop his hair from getting wet well I don't know what to say?
    some very dodgy barnets on that stage last night.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

Was dreading it going by some videos of Saturday night but thought it was a great gig and Jon's voice wasn't so bad. When Bed of Roses started I was sure this would be a song he would struggle but he was fine. Atmosphere in the Gold Circle was excellent. Glad I went as was 50/50 due to Richie not being there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,676 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

Great gig....
    The screens are stunning, and great backgrounds for the songs.

JBJ's voice is knackered , as many have said, and the other 4 lads do really dig him out on those massive notes in the older songs, but that's what happens, the same has happened Bono. 36 years is a lot of singing !

Really enjoyed the gig, JB knows how to get a crowd going, and he seems to be enjoying it, which helps too.

I was impressed by Phil X , well capable of pulling off Ritchies solos, and very capable harmonies.

They came on at 8.15 , and walked off just before 11.

Overall, a great nights entertainment, and if you didn't leave the RDS with a smile on your face afterwards ….. well..

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... " #NoPopcorn

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭Cool_CM

Thanks for the ticket Nutzz. Thought the Manics were great, but it was my 15th time seeing them I think.

Bon Jovi I approached very casually. I expected to know a lot more songs than I did, but I think over here at least, unless youre a fan and have the album's that only a handful of their songs ever get radio play.

With that said, I knew every word to every Manics songs where as a lot people there knew A design for life and 1 or 2 others at most.

Also, Bon Jovi blatantly lifted a Metallica riff, had a song that sounded like Oh Darling at one point, another that sounded like Crazy Train for a bit

Yeah, the Manics were class. Was hilarious looking around and seeing about 7 other people in the Gold Circle bouncing for You Love Us!

ooter wrote: »
    what was the craic with the cap, if he stuck that on to stop his hair from getting wet well I don't know what to say?
    some very dodgy barnets on that stage last night.

Thought the same, the cap and hoodie combo was awful but thankfully only thing to complain about!

I was seated Block E just an amazing view but it struck me that "Gold Circle" is turning into quite the sneaky scam, on the maps online it's one-third of the pitch but definitely was closer to half the pitch last night.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,677 ✭✭✭Zwillinge

Got the free tickets on the App.

I love the Manics, so was delighted to see them and their cover of Sweet Child of Mine was very unexpected but strangely fun :D
    James seemed very cringey with his clap along business, so fair play to him for giving it a go.

I'll be honest, my knowledge of Bon Jovi is limited to drunken night club dancing at 2/3am.

After reading through here, the voice makes more sense and all in all, it was a great screen setup and his musicians are fantastic.

And I'm guilty of not studying for the Bon Jovi quiz at the beginning... anyone ever taste his pasta sauce? :pac::D

• Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭baron von something

Richie who??

Great gig and he wasn't missed tbh. John's voice is a bit shot but he still held his own and the band more than made up for his struggling vocals. Very tight band.
    The visuals were probably the best I've ever seen at a concert. The set list was pretty good. A little tease of Always at one stage when Tico played the first couple of drum beats but then they broke into Bed of Roses which I was delighted with. You could tell that they were genuinely enjoying themselves too and it showed when they did the second encore. The sound was brilliant from where I was standing. Perfect sound from the manics too who were also great. All in all, a great day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,020 ✭✭✭✭GBX

Went on the freebie from Three. Glad I went. Great night. The added bonus of the Manic Street Preachers topped it off. I wouldnt be a die hard Bon Jovi fan but that was a great gig. Decent mix of older and new. Sound quality was top notch and great visuals.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 610 ✭✭✭JustMe,K

I went on Saturday and loved every minute of it. Manics were decent and Bon Jovi were excellent. As has been said the visuals were unreal, and they really looked to be enjoying themselves on stage too. Of course Jons voice isnt what it used to be, but to be able to still pull a crowd and hold a crowd 30 years on is something Justin Bieber or Ed Sheeran are unlikely to be able to do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,616 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

kcdiom wrote: »
    something Justin Bieber or Ed Sheeran are unlikely to be able to do.

That's a weird jab at the end. I dunno about Beebs, but I'd say if Ed Sheeran wants to keep touring he'll keep touring for a long long time. He seems like a well managed healthy kid who doesn't necessarily belt out the tunes. So he should last.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 610 ✭✭✭JustMe,K

errlloyd wrote: »
    That's a weird jab at the end. I dunno about Beebs, but I'd say if Ed Sheeran wants to keep touring he'll keep touring for a long long time. He seems like a well managed healthy kid who doesn't necessarily belt out the tunes. So he should last.

Ah I keep hearing a lot of ****e talk about people who are touring recently, even back to Phil Collins last year, Bon Jovi, Metallica, The Cure, Bruce Springsteen, U2 etc all milking it right now, but they have stood the test of a few generations of music that a lot of current artists won't. I'm a massive Ed Sheeran fan, I'd love to be going to see him again in 10, 15, 20 years time but I just don't think it would happen :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,357 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

frogstar wrote: »
    Brilliant gig.

Played one of my favourites that I've never heard live but was lost on a lot of people... Wanna make a memory

Did tico tease the start of Always but then played bed of roses?

Encore was fantastic, 4 songs and well over curfew

Manics were great but think a more rock band would have suited better.

You mean they didn't play this?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,776 ✭✭✭SmallTeapot

I won tickets from MCD for this, and was delighted I went. I missed the Manics, unfortunately, due to being delayed beforehand, but arrived on the the pitch shortly before Bon Jovi took to the stage. Weather was terrible, but the atmosphere was great :) Jon is a fantastic front-man and I really loved the stage visuals.
    '(You Want To) Make A Memory' was lovely to hear live.

Thanks for the advice earlier in the thread from a few posters re parking - I got a lovely spot on just off Clyde road which was a handy walk down to the arena :)

Here is the set list, for anyone interested: Link

• Advertisement
Advertisement