View Poll Results: Going camping this year?
Yes 26 18.98%
No 101 73.72%
Already been. 10 7.30%
Voters: 137. You may not vote on this poll

10-06-2021, 09:06   #16
biko
Arbiter

It's good people go camping. Help the local economy.
Thanks from:
Advertisement
10-06-2021, 09:10   #17
Allinall

Quote:
Originally Posted by biko View Post
It's good people go camping. Help the local economy.
That's only if you go camping locally.

Most people like to travel a bit further afield.
Thanks from:
10-06-2021, 09:12   #18
JimmyVik

We have a group of about 5 families now who have given each other access to each others gardens for the summer to pitch you tent.
Also a couple of us swapping our whole houses.

Last weekend we had friends from Clare camping in our garden in Dublin with their 2 kids.
Other friends from Donegal coming this weekend. They can all use the BBQ in the garden or bring their own cooking stuff.
They can use the kitchen once we are all vaccinated. Probably a few more trips for everyone like this before the summer is out too.
First weekend in July we are going camping in their garden in Donegal.
And last weekend in August we are camping in a Kerry friends garden.
Everyones kids are all excited tbh. Some adults arent though
10-06-2021, 09:12   #19
listermint

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allinall View Post
That's only if you go camping locally.

Most people like to travel a bit further afield.
Locally means Ireland ....
(3) thanks from:
10-06-2021, 09:28   #20
SineadSpears

Quote:
Originally Posted by TefalBrain View Post
I used to love it here just as in got older I couldn't handle the **** weather and sudden influx of Lidl/Halfords campers.
on that last camping trip I was on, a family pulled up in a van and start building a fcuking fort around them.
The father was hammering away a big barrier around the area they were camping. unloading everything and anything from the van for about two hours.

It was kinda ridiculous watching them setting everything up. could hardly call it 'camping'.

But jesus the next morning me getting out of my swamp of a tent to see their big fcuking castle all snug and protected
(3) thanks from:
Advertisement
10-06-2021, 09:31   #21
HBC08

Quote:
I used to love it here just as in got older I couldn't handle the **** weather and sudden influx of Lidl/Halfords campers.
Not a question I've asked myself often but the answer seems to be yes,there is such a thing as a camping snob.
10-06-2021, 09:33   #22
TefalBrain

Quote:
Originally Posted by HBC08 View Post
Not a question I've asked myself often but the answer seems to be yes,there is such a thing as a camping snob.
Have you seen the sorts that buy all their camping gear in Halfords/Tesco/Lidl etc..

The horror
10-06-2021, 09:54   #23
whisky_galore

Quote:
Have you seen the sorts that buy all their camping gear in Halfords/Tesco/Lidl etc..

The horror
The same sorts that buy an inflatable boat from Lidl and think its grand for the Atlantic...
10-06-2021, 09:57   #24
Tabnabs

Poor Wicklow is destroyed with abandoned tents, fire pits still smouldering after everyone has gone home and literal bags of rubbish left behind.

The sooner Benidorm is back on the menu the better.
Advertisement
10-06-2021, 10:10   #25
HBC08

Quote:

The horror
I mean really....
There should be a separate area for these degenerates.
Thanks from:
10-06-2021, 10:34   #26
JustAThought

Between growing up camping & going to a school with a uniform I think that’s whats hardened me to anything life throws at me! Loved it as a kid but also have strong memories of the misery - summers basically sharing a room with 5 people and one wardrobe between us all - going to bed when it got dark cos there was no insulation or heat other than the gas ring to cook on - and the misery of truging in the rain in coat, PJ’s & barefoot in wellies to find a bush or camp toilet in the dark

I like my bit of luxury now & thou part of me loves the wild of tent-ing in the middle of nowhere I’m not sure I’d really feel safe doing it anymore - too many oddballs & drugheads around to be able to properly relax and sleep - and the dog wakes you with the fear going mad but its only a mouse or rabbit bopping around outside!

I’d defo to it but in a camper or van - neither of which I have atm!!! Ireland can be a great little country but you’d need the good weather and showering & water facilities!!!.
(2) thanks from:
10-06-2021, 10:39   #27
FlubberJones

Not a chance, would rather smash my toes with a hammer than sit in a rainy field with no facilities, nowhere to go and nothing to do.
(2) thanks from:
10-06-2021, 10:42   #28
ReginaldSmythV

The Irish never fail to deliver. No matter what it is, there will always be someone looking down their nose at those who aren't doing something as long as they are.
Thanks from:
10-06-2021, 10:43   #29
theteal

Same here in Engerland. We'd normally go a couple of times a year and there would always be availability up to a couple of weeks beforehand. We've got two trips booked for this summer since early April (first one is next week, whoop!) and it turns out we were lucky to book so early. These are "wild" sites too so none of this luxury glamping lark.

Love me a bit of camping, especially here with the weather being better than home. In saying that, these trips are long weekends, I'm not sure I'd be into a full week or two of it. Feckin' kids would drive me demented.
(2) thanks from:
10-06-2021, 11:08   #30
whisky_galore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tabnabs View Post
Poor Wicklow is destroyed with abandoned tents, fire pits still smouldering after everyone has gone home and literal bags of rubbish left behind.

The sooner Benidorm is back on the menu the better.
This crowd would normally be resort goers I'd bet, and have unfortunate min wage workers at their beck and call, picking up after them.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion