Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

We are 100 seconds from doomsday

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,233 ✭✭✭This is it

It's interesting.

I have heard environmental activists suggest that certain world problems are not important as they will not last they will go. The cuban missile crisis ended etc.

But the climate will get worse unless we change.

I suggest to them though that the reason we find worldwide action hard ...is because of these human issues getting in the way. And we need to solve them too if we are to conquer environmental issues.

War is very damaging to the environment.

Also POVERTY impacts negatively on the environment. A lot of activists think its the other way around but they are uneducated.

POVERTY IS A MAJOR CONTRIBUTOR TO CLIMATE CHANGE.

If we solve these things we will be helping the environment HUGELY!

But a lot of activists don't point this out.

Poverty can degrade/deplete forests, soil, grasslands, and wildlife.

But a lot of activists are uneducated and think poverty actually helps the environment which is TOTALLY UNTRUE. And its a dangerous idea that massive companies are selling to get away with treating people like ****e and ruining the environment.

Solve poverty and war and you will help the environment.

DOES ANYONE REALIZE THE IMPACT HOMELESSNESS HAS ON THE ENVIRONMENT IN THIS COUNTRY?

Encampments have litter run off, toilet waste run off , homeless waste is a huge environmental issue.

Not only does it hurt the people who are themselves homeless it hurts the environment too.

But i never hear people talking about these problems.

All I hear is this vague idea we should return to poverty to save the environment. I think its the far right pushing this phantom idea. BECAUSE A RETURN TO POVERTY WOULD SCREW THE ENVIRONMENT!

We need to stop this thinking and educate people. We need modern day hygiene habits to HELP the environment. We are not asking people to line in hippy encampments. In fact that would be disastrous for the environment.

Needs more bold and CAPS.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 904 ✭✭✭Blaze420

iamstop wrote: »

This is what happens unfortunately when people use hollowed out bats as ****ing soup spoons.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,761 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

Should I Take the washing in?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

The only way to save the planet is for China to stop building mega city ghost towns and other pollution, the US is another that's draining resources.....

Many many more of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,027 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Keep the sheep worried and in line

• Advertisement

No matter what this small island does it won't matter a fcuk.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭Adyx

CageWager wrote: »
    A bunch of people scaremongering to secure their fat cat future creaming massive salaries and research grants from governments, international organisations, and nonprofits.

You mean the people who own the arms manufacturers, fossil fuel companies etc. I presume.

There is money to be made from a responsible attitude to industry but not with current attitudes.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Pinch Flat wrote: »
    Should I Take the washing in?
    Well, there's a fair peasouper out there, so yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,176 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

The only way to save the planet is for China to stop building mega city ghost towns and other pollution, the US is another that's draining resources.....

Many many more of course.
    WRONG.

Building proper waste disposal systems for the world's poor would solve a lot of it.

Solving all world conflict would HUGELY reduce climate change.

Military build up contributes to climate change.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,914 ✭✭✭circadian

Does this have anything to do with the game I use to play on pc called Doom???

Doom Eternal isn't out until March, unless we're getting an early release and Mary Robinson is a fan of shotguns with grappling hooks.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭iamstop

circadian wrote: »
    Doom Eternal isn't out until March, unless we're getting an early release and Mary Robinson is a fan of shotguns with grappling hooks.

We all know she is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭Gynoid

"The science of the climate crisis makes it imperative that we take urgent action in 2020. We need a change of mindset in politics, finance, business and civil society." - Mary Robinson talking earlier...(Newstalk)

It's okay, Mary, the UN have got it covered....

"U.N. shipping agency, the International Maritime Organization (IMO), aims to reduce the industry’s greenhouse gas emissions by 50% from 2008 levels by 2050, a target that will require the swift development of zero or low emission fuels and new ship designs using cleaner technology.

In the first study into costs, researchers estimated that the cumulative investment needed between 2030 and 2050 would be between $1 trillion to $1.4 trillion, or an average of $50 billion to $70 billion annually for 20 years." ( Reuters)

Guess who will get that 1 trillion to deal with the 2.2% of the planets carbon emissions caused by shipping?
    Why, it will be those very clever and well embedded rich folk who are invested to their oxters presently in carbon fuels ie oil, and their sideline industries pharmaceuticals and armaments, but who are all set to diversify pretty soon. Electric cars, carbon free tech, low carbon shipping. That would be them lucky billionaires who doubled in number since 2008 when the "people" were made to bail out bondholders and banks.

It's going to take trillions and trillions and bazillions of tax euros for these dedicated and heroic billionaires to diversify their portfolios to tackle the other 97.8% of carbon emissions so they can save the world, poor pets. Pass the collection plate quick, I'm all in.

This is it wrote: »

This was worth 10 secs of your life to post.

Apologies for trying to be clear and make it easier for people to read the post. I should have just let it be a wall of text.

That's all i was trying to do by the way. I like it when people highlight things or make them stand out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭Your Face

I going out to rev the car.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭Peatys

So we all move to nyc and it'll be 100secs to 7.

500858.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,111 ✭✭✭Ger Roe

I think bold and CAPS uses up more electricity to display your post. It's not good for the environment.

Be careful with your bold and CAPS .... think of the children. ;)

Ger Roe wrote: »
    I think bold and CAPS uses up more electricity to display your post. It's not good for the environment.

Be careful with your bold and CAPS .... think of the children. ;)

Maybe I should switch to bullet points. :o

But wait ....GUN CRIME!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Whatever does finally get the human race - will be the last thing we suspect...

Why is it always the whoremongers and religous type fundamentalists who love screaming about doomsday type bs?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,805 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

CageWager wrote: »
    A bunch of people scaremongering to secure their fat cat future creaming massive salaries and research grants from governments, international organisations, and nonprofits.

‘It’s like the time haughey addressed the nation and told them it was time to tighten their belts and live within their means.fcukin laughable.and we all know now what he was up to.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,233 ✭✭✭This is it

This was worth 10 secs of your life to post.

Apologies for trying to be clear and make it easier for people to read the post. I should have just let it be a wall of text.

That's all i was trying to do by the way. I like it when people highlight things or make them stand out.

Try all you want, it's a mess and makes it harder to read.

• Advertisement

Try all you want, it's a mess and makes it harder to read.
    Sorry. I find it easier to read when people do that. I will try something else. I wasn't trying to be difficult.:(

Its no big deal.

You are SO MEAN! Not talking to you starting now!

• Registered Users Posts: 33,133 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I see George Lee has a piece on it on the rte website.

He's in his element there. Scaremongering is his forte.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,062 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Mary Robinson is some dose

And 'The Elders'...wtf kind of pontificating nonsense is that? I bet one is 'the oracle', another is 'the architect'

• Registered Users Posts: 3,027 ✭✭✭Lantus

In the opinion of the people whose job it is to market same said clock on TV...... Mmmm

Bring back the millennium clock in the Liffey and rename it the doomsday count down clock....

Good luck been able to see it though...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,687 ✭✭✭buried

It's not even a proper clock.

It starts at 9pm.

Mary trying to tell us the time on a quarter of a pizza slice.

Come back with a real clock you ninny, then I might start to half listen to yer noise.

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

retalivity wrote: »
    Mary Robinson is some dose

And 'The Elders'...wtf kind of pontificating nonsense is that? I bet one is 'the oracle', another is 'the architect'

It's also ironic that they call themselves the elders thinking it gives off some vibe of wisdom and mysticism, when in reality the only vibe elders give off is a cloud of condescending farts. There's good reason we give Granny an extra large sherry at Christmas, and it's not so she might stay awake to inspire us with another 4 hours of her intellectual insights.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 373 ✭✭careless sherpa

Only short of pushing a cart around shouting bring out your dead

It's interesting.

I have heard environmental activists suggest that certain world problems are not important as they will not last they will go. The cuban missile crisis ended etc.

But the climate will get worse unless we change.

I suggest to them though that the reason we find worldwide action hard ...is because of these human issues getting in the way. And we need to solve them too if we are to conquer environmental issues.

War is very damaging to the environment.

Also POVERTY impacts negatively on the environment. A lot of activists think its the other way around but they are uneducated.

POVERTY IS A MAJOR CONTRIBUTOR TO CLIMATE CHANGE.

If we solve these things we will be helping the environment HUGELY!

But a lot of activists don't point this out.

Poverty can degrade/deplete forests, soil, grasslands, and wildlife.

But a lot of activists are uneducated and think poverty actually helps the environment which is TOTALLY UNTRUE. And its a dangerous idea that massive companies are selling to get away with treating people like ****e and ruining the environment.

Solve poverty and war and you will help the environment.

DOES ANYONE REALIZE THE IMPACT HOMELESSNESS HAS ON THE ENVIRONMENT IN THIS COUNTRY?

Encampments have litter run off, toilet waste run off , homeless waste is a huge environmental issue.

Not only does it hurt the people who are themselves homeless it hurts the environment too.

But i never hear people talking about these problems.

All I hear is this vague idea we should return to poverty to save the environment. I think its the far right pushing this phantom idea. BECAUSE A RETURN TO POVERTY WOULD SCREW THE ENVIRONMENT!

We need to stop this thinking and educate people. We need modern day hygiene habits to HELP the environment. We are not asking people to line in hippy encampments. In fact that would be disastrous for the environment.

So you're saying we need to kill the poor and the homeless people?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

5 to 1 baby, 1 in 5
    No one here gets out alive

Advertisement