Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

We are 100 seconds from doomsday

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,222 ✭✭✭robman60

It loses credibility when for as long as I remember it's been at least five to 12.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,693 ✭✭✭buried

Just put it back an hour you politician idiots.

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

• Registered Users Posts: 81,640 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

We might as well go out with a bang.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭jetsonx

Yes, Doomsday is close alright. I've just watched a party political broadcast from Fianna Fail.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,510 ✭✭✭Wheety

I bet someone forgot to carry the 1.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭floatwinner

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭CageWager

A bunch of people scaremongering to secure their fat cat future creaming massive salaries and research grants from governments, international organisations, and nonprofits.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,322 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

i hoped mary walked and sailed to the press conference

• Registered Users Posts: 1,124 ✭✭✭jonon9

Enough time to rub one out then.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Ah nuts, did I miss it? I'd hate to think I got left out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,373 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

I think we're facing dangerous times, but doom is potentially more imminent than it was during the Cuban Missile Crisis? I don't know about that.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Does this have anything to do with the game I use to play on pc called Doom???

id say that for as long back as humans could garner attention and some small measure of control over their fellows by screaming that the end was nigh, that someone has been doing so

funny. the end was never nigh before, turned out things were ok mostly.

im sure this time its different though.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,176 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

May i ask the op a question?

What would it take for you to take climate change as seriously as she suggests it should be taken?

This is a genuine non agenda question.

I am not saying it is as serious or it's not as serious as she suggests. Put that aside for a moment what would it take for you to take it seriously?

Obviously the title is dramatic 100 secs on the world clock is a long term comparatively to us.

I think with our small life span its hard for us to grasp. Our perception is limited.

Let's say hypothetically she was correct.

How would someone explain this to you OP in a way you could understand and believe?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Homer called out a date and time, nothing happened the Simpsons just went down hill.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭2020Vision

US2 wrote: »
    Is Mary Robinson gone a bit mad ?

"The Doomsday Clock now stands at 100 seconds to midnight, the most dangerous situation that humanity has ever faced."

https://twitter.com/rtenews/status/1220388748791369731?s=19

Looking on the bright side, we'll all be dust long before the State pensions time bomb explodes!

(Although I'm a tiny bit sorry for poor Greta Bunburger who may never see her grandchildren.)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭dhaughton99

i hoped mary walked and sailed to the press conference

Chairperson of the Elders, I’ll have you know.

Wasn’t the head of that committee #metoo’d?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭US2

May i ask the op a question?

What would it take for you to take climate change as seriously as she suggests it should be taken?

This is a genuine non agenda question.

I am not saying it is as serious or it's not as serious as she suggests. Put that aside for a moment what would it take for you to take it seriously?

Obviously the title is dramatic 100 secs on the world clock is a long term comparatively to us.

I think with our small life span its hard for us to grasp. Our perception is limited.

Let's say hypothetically she was correct.

How would someone explain this to you OP in a way you could understand and believe?

I'll believe it when I'm under water or melting in the sunshine.

Arghus wrote: »
    I think we're facing dangerous times, but doom is potentially more imminent than it was during the Cuban Missile Crisis? I don't know about that.

It's interesting.

I have heard environmental activists suggest that certain world problems are not important as they will not last they will go. The cuban missile crisis ended etc.

But the climate will get worse unless we change.

I suggest to them though that the reason we find worldwide action hard ...is because of these human issues getting in the way. And we need to solve them too if we are to conquer environmental issues.

War is very damaging to the environment.

Also POVERTY impacts negatively on the environment. A lot of activists think its the other way around but they are uneducated.

POVERTY IS A MAJOR CONTRIBUTOR TO CLIMATE CHANGE.

Poverty often causes people to put relatively more pressure on the environment which results in larger families (due to high death rates and insecurity), improper human waste disposal leading to unhealthy living conditions, more pressure on fragile land to meet their needs, overexploitation of natural resources

If we solve these things we will be helping the environment HUGELY!

But a lot of activists don't point this out.

Poverty can degrade/deplete forests, soil, grasslands, and wildlife.

But a lot of activists are uneducated and think poverty actually helps the environment which is TOTALLY UNTRUE. And its a dangerous idea that massive companies are selling to get away with treating people like ****e and ruining the environment.

Solve poverty and war and you will help the environment.

DOES ANYONE REALIZE THE IMPACT HOMELESSNESS HAS ON THE ENVIRONMENT IN THIS COUNTRY?

Encampments have litter run off, toilet waste run off , homeless waste is a huge environmental issue.

Not only does it hurt the people who are themselves homeless it hurts the environment too.

But i never hear people talking about these problems.

All I hear is this vague idea we should return to poverty to save the environment. I think its the far right pushing this phantom idea. BECAUSE A RETURN TO POVERTY WOULD SCREW THE ENVIRONMENT!

We need to stop this thinking and educate people. We need modern day hygiene habits to HELP the environment. We are not asking people to line in hippy encampments. In fact that would be disastrous for the environment.

US2 wrote: »
    I'll believe it when I'm under water or melting in the sunshine.

Throws you in the deep end. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭dhaughton99

Chairperson of the Elders, I’ll have you know.

Wasn’t the head of that committee #metoo’d?

https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article/peteraldhous/lawrence-krauss-sexual-harassment-allegations

We need to approach the environment from a sociology-econonmic geographical viewpoint.

War poverty etc.
    If we solve all of these other problems .....a lot of environmental issues will be solved too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭Xertz

I'd agree we've a LOT of global problems and highly tense situations but that Doomsday clock adds nothing to it other than a confusing metaphor and provides nothing constructive to most people.

If you want to solve problems; define them and give people real concrete help to overcome them. I really find that scary Cold War relic clock does nothing other than depress people.

A serious, but hopeful message is far more useful to actually dig us out of our various messes. All that clock does is make people feel hopeless and fatalism / not caring sets in.

Xertz wrote: »
    I'd agree we've a LOT of global problems and highly tense situations but that Doomsday clock adds nothing to it other than a confusing metaphor and provides nothing constructive to most people.

If you want to solve problems; define them and give people real concrete help to overcome them. I really find that scary Cold War relic clock does nothing other than depress people.

How about this.

How reducing global poverty would stop climate change?

https://www.1millionwomen.com.au/blog/would-reducing-global-poverty-help-planet/

Poverty drives climate change. We must solve global poverty to stop climate change.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,958 Mod ✭✭✭✭iamstop

The Wuhan Coronavirus will have a thing to say about his!

• Registered Users Posts: 951 ✭✭✭Neames

Wheety wrote: »
    I bet someone forgot to carry the 1.

That's NumberWang!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,373 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

It's interesting.

I have heard environmental activists suggest that certain world problems are not important as they will not last they will go. The cuban missile crisis ended etc.

But the climate will get worse unless we change.

I used the example of The Cuban Missile Crisis because it was the closest the world came to Nuclear War and effectively the end of civilisation. It ended, but at the time that immediate chances of all out Nuclear War was higher - way higher - than what it is now.

Arghus wrote: »
    I used the example of The Cuban Missile Crisis because it was the closest the world came to Nuclear War and effectively the end of civilisation. It ended, but at the time that immediate chances of all out Nuclear War was higher - way higher - than what it is now.

How do people calculate these things I wonder?

iamstop wrote: »
    The Wuhan Coronavirus will have a thing to say about his!

The wha?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,958 Mod ✭✭✭✭iamstop

Advertisement