Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Quiz marque 2

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 77,027 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

I thought he was "just" the Admin!

Now you can really say you've made it big, Beasty. :cool:

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,534 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Thanks. I've swapped the bike for a mobility scooter. Let's see if I can crash that at 55 km/h.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭lucalux

feargale wrote: »
    Toilet paper?

Not this... though they do make recycled toilet paper now..
    So perhaps in some ways it could be applicable:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,637 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

Beasty wrote: »
    It's mods that come with chains....

...speaking of which, without looking can anyone name the 2 mods of this forum?

:P
    Looksee and, err, not me anymore?

Belated welcome Beasty. :)

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,788 ✭✭✭✭looksee

All I can think of (re-used manuscript) is palindrome and I know its not that, no it has vanished. Maybe a clue?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,775 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

looksee wrote: »
    All I can think of (re-used manuscript) is palindrome and I know its not that, no it has vanished. Maybe a clue?

You've tipped me off. Palimpsest!

Verry close with palindrome!

Lol, so near!

keane2097 wrote: »
    You've tipped me off. Palimpsest!

Ding ding ding, we have the correct answer!

Isn't it a nice word? :)

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 77,027 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

It is! But I always associated it to TV schedules. I didn't know they had TV studios, back then! :pac:

• Advertisement

Lol, so near!

So very near, I would have been the same, as I only rediscovered the word lately, having read it years ago.

Googling where I heard of it, I think it was '1984' the Orwell book.

"Orwell used it as a metaphor in 1984 when describing Big Brother's way of eliminating memory —

“All history was a palimpsest, scraped clean and re-inscribed exactly as often as was necessary.” "

I only know it from highlighting it about 30 times for a definition on the kindle in the last few months, and still forgot it until the mention of palindrome!

I'm still waiting on my Irish soccer player with the most red cards.

A clue:

Think of a guy that had a long career but spent a lot of it under serious pressure!

Best? Paul McGrath? Keane? I don't know any other Irish footballers...

Ok here's one -

There's a fairly common word in English that means to split/slice apart, but also means to attach/stick to something.

Can you name it?

Ok here's one -

There's a fairly common word in English that means to split/slice apart, but also means to attach/stick to something.

Can you name it?
    Cleave and "cleave to..."?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭feargale

I'm still waiting on my Irish soccer player with the most red cards.

A clue:

Think of a guy that had a long career but spent a lot of it under serious pressure!

Steve Staunton?

OldGoat wrote: »
    Cleave and "cleave to..."?

Correct! I think I got that one from University Challenge

Steve Staunton?

Nope. Right part of the pitch but this player would be more recent. Retired more recently than Keane as well.

Correct! I think I got that one from University Challenge
    What is the tallest lighthouse in Ireland/UK?

• Advertisement

What is the tallest lighthouse in Ireland/UK?

Fastnet?

I'm no use with the soccer one atall, Roy Keane and Robbie Keane are the limit of my knowledge of soccer players :o

The lighthouse, I keep thinking Wexford and Cork coasts, but I don't know the names of any of them.

Must resist Googling :)

Nope. Right part of the pitch but this player would be more recent. Retired more recently than Keane as well.

Mick McCarthy?

Fastnet?
    Yep, Fastnet it is at a fine 54 meters high. It's 'character' (it's unique light signature for ships to recognize) is Fl, W, 5s - Flashing white every 5 seconds.
    It's on my bucket list to photograph it. :)

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,534 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Mick McCarthy?

I suspect McCarthy never even played 8 PL games...

... and he's from Barnsley:pac:

Not Mick either.

As a further clue, this player was a centre half and played in the premier league for Everton, Man City, Aston Villa and QPR. Russia once famously ran out of Russians trying to overcome him.

I'm beginning to suspect there are not many soccer experts among the O&Os :D

Alas there is one....:pac:

Diccky Dunnit?

Also know as Richard Dunne - definitely a blast from the past!

Oh and McCarthy predates the Premiership (he's a year older than me:o)

Yep, Fastnet it is at a fine 54 meters high. It's 'character' (it's unique light signature for ships to recognize) is Fl, W, 5s - Flashing white every 5 seconds.
    It's on my bucket list to photograph it. :)

I saw it only once, walking northwards on Cape Clear. When I reached the summit I turned around and saw this apparition a few miles south. It's called the teardrop of Ireland, the last sight of the old sod by many an emigrant.
    Incidentally since you said Ireland/UK I was tempted to guess Eddystone. I think it may be the tallest in UK.

QUESTION:
    According to citypopulation.de which sovereign country has comparatively the longest coastline per square km of area?
    You will get equal credit if you can name the second ranking in that list.
    No cogging please.

• Advertisement

I'm beginning to suspect there are not many soccer experts among the O&Os :D

I would have some knowledge of international soccer, but to follow club soccer overseas, especially in England, you would need to give up the day job. In normal times it seems to be on tv every day.

Longest coastline - would that be Greece?

Longest coastline - would that be Greece?

No, and I'm not sure if you misunderstand the question. Not absolutely longest coastline.

which sovereign country has comparatively the longest coastline per square km of area?

No, I got that, it always strikes me that Greece isn't that big but has a very wiggly coastline, I am sure there are smaller places that are even wigglier though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,887 ✭✭✭IrishZeus

Japan?

Indonesia has to be a possibility?

• Advertisement

Micronesia? French Polynesia? Or is it Chile?

I'd say that Norway has the jaggiest coastline followed by, errrr, Scotland?

Alas there is one....:pac:

Diccky Dunnit?

Also know as Richard Dunne - definitely a blast from the past!

Oh and McCarthy predates the Premiership (he's a year older than me:o)

Yes, that's right

I'd say that Norway has the jaggiest coastline followed by, errrr, Scotland?

Norway has the longest coastline of any European country, but not at all the longest in then world in proportion to its size.

New Home wrote: »
    Micronesia? French Polynesia?

No, but you're on the right track

P.S. French Polynesia is not a sovereign state. Is Micronesia sovereign? I think it's controversial.

• Advertisement

Oh lord, I just looked it up. Indonesia isn't in the ha'penny place. The ensuing debate should be good though!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,887 ✭✭✭IrishZeus

IrishZeus wrote: »
    Japan?

??

IrishZeus wrote: »
    ??

Nope.

I never said it was on the Pacific.

Yes, that's right

Well I'm going for another footie one

An Irishman who played for both NI and ROI. Picked up the FA Cup. Although an outfield player on one occasion played in goal (from the start of the match) for his English team....

Well I'm going for another footie one

An Irishman who played for both NI and ROI. Picked up the FA Cup. Although an outfield player on one occasion played in goal (from the start of the match) for his English team....

Jackie Carey?

So...who else owes us a question? :D

oh yes, we are still waiting for the coastline one.

Jackie Carey?

Yep

Played for the IFA XI and the FAI XI - playing England twice 3 days apart, losing 7-2 at Windsor Park, and 1-0 at Dalymount

First non-British player to captain an FA Cup winning team (Manchester United in 1948 - the first team to win the FA Cup without any home ties - mainly because Old Trafford had been bombed in the war!)

One Stephen's Day United were playing Sunderland at Roker Park. The goalkeeper went down with an illness and with no travelling reserve Carey played in goal. United regularly looked to their Irish players whenever they needed someone to replace an injured goalkeeper, mainly because of their GAA Football skills

Coastline question is outstanding but I now owe another:

Which Irish venue was destroyed by fire on 18th July 1951 following an exhortation to "Keep the home fires burning"?

Coastline question is outstanding but I now owe another:

Which Irish venue was destroyed by fire on 18th July 1951 following an exhortation to "Keep the home fires burning"?
    My father was on duty with the fire brigade the night of the fire so I've heard the tale of it so many times. It was the Old Abbey Theatre.

My father was on duty with the fire brigade the night of the fire so I've heard the tale of it so many times. It was the Old Abbey Theatre.

Correct, the theatre caught fire following a performance of Sean O'Casey's The Plough And The Stars. In the final scene of O’Casey’s play about 1916, two British soldiers guard the dead bodies of a working class Loyalist woman and two children in the attic of a Dublin tenement. They drink tea and sing the army marching song “Keep the Home Fires Burning”. 

Not to be outdone by the Liffeyside impostor, the real capital of Ireland had its own theatre fire on 12th December 1955 when the Cork Opera House went up in flames. A young recently married couple who were both professional performers at the Opera House had lodgings in the city while they were saving for a house. Husband looked out the window, saw the fire and called his wife saying "look at that." She exclaimed "oh, that's Rory Borey-Alliss. Isn't it magnificent!" He retorted: "Rory Borey-Alliss my
    a---. That's our mortgage gone up in flames."

• Advertisement
Advertisement