Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Slave Trader Edward Colston's statue torn down in Bristol

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭AllGunsBlazing

The telly must be all re-runs for it to have gotten this far.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,998 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

I propose a statue to the first person who can spell the plural of hero correctly!

Now the real question is, should I leave the mistake there for ever or should I edit it to the correct spelling?...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

Odhinn wrote: »
    As with the confederate stuff over in the US, it should be taken down and kept in a park, with various signs and the like explaining their context and time.

like Memento Park in Budapest, where they moved all the statues of Lenin, Marx etc. from Hungary's communist era

• Registered Users Posts: 33,692 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Statues are quite literally Idols.

That is their purpose, it's why people commission them of themselves.

What I find utterly hilarious is the veneration here of an individual that would have bought and sold any Irish person he could if it made him a pound.

Yes he belongs in the history books as an example. But he doesn't require idolisation in public spaces looking down over everyone. Stick him in the back of the slave traders museum in Liverpool. A big example of what an excuse my french see you next Tuesday..

But the statues should go and the schools, hospitals, streets and concert halls named after him, should be renamed.

that's going a bit far now...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Edgware

FVP3 wrote: »
    The younger members run the joint as far as I can see. The Indo keeps trying to scare us with the idea that behind their democratic facade lies a group of fascists, but given Sinn Fein's position on literally everything they are clearly far to the left on social issues and on immigration etc.

As for the Russell statue, it should probably go.
    So don't bother about all the other names on the memorial

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Edgware

listermint wrote: »
    Statues are quite literally Idols.

That is their purpose, it's why people commission them of themselves.

What I find utterly hilarious is the veneration here of an individual that would have bought and sold any Irish person he could if it made him a pound.

Yes he belongs in the history books as an example. But he doesn't require idolisation in public spaces looking down over everyone. Stick him in the back of the slave traders museum in Liverpool. A big example of what an excuse my french see you next Tuesday..
    Let's tear down the John Mitchell statue in Newry. He was a slave owner in the U.S.

its odd taking down the statues but keeping the wealth isn't it? We know who the slave owners were, they were all compensated. Why not get some reparations from them?

tear down the buildings, everyone in Jamaica gets a brick

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭FVP3

I'd bet if you went to a 'save the Colston statues' meeting, you'd meet some thick fcukers.

Not everything in history needs a statue to be remembered. He can be remembered in history, for all that he did both good and bad. But the statues should go and the schools, hospitals, streets and concert halls named after him, should be renamed.

Well that is correct. Statues ( in public) venerate people, while museums explain people and history. However there are two problems

1) Leaving it to a mob is not any way to do this. Some person somewhere may not like your favourite statue.
    2) If you do leave it to the mob pretty much nothing is left. Very few UK historical figures, apart from a few scientists and poets, would survive much scrutiny. Even some of the writers and scientists might not.

any statues to JK Rowling knocking around?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭SharpshooterTom

c.p.w.g.w wrote: »
    White washing history is wrong...statues of people who achieved great things during their life's that were erected in good faith should still stand...

Churchill hated the Irish, I have no problem with his statue because his attitudes towards the Irish are acknowledged to be unacceptable in today's world. But during this time he was also the Prime Minister of Britain and they played a role in the destruction of Nazi Germany...

It's like the nonsense of going back through famous peoples Twitter to find dirt to throw at them

Did the same with Franco's body in Spain...and it's only helped the right gain more support

Churchill actually has mixed views on Ireland, he sympathised with a united Ireland and when he spoke to Irish ambassador John W Delanty he was quoted as saying in 1946
    Churchill reportedly told Dulanty: “I said a few words in parliament the other day about your country because I still hope for a united Ireland. You must get those fellows in the North in, though; you can’t do it by force.”

Churchill added: “There is not, and never was, any bitterness in my heart towards your country.”

Later, in May 1951, Churchill had another conversation about Ireland with Frederick Boland, who had succeeded Dulanty as ambassador. The two met at a Buckingham Palace reception where Churchill told him he had wanted to come to Ireland to see a horse of his run in the Irish Derby, but the horse had died.

Churchill said: “I’m sorry. I would have liked to have gone over and I’m sure the people would have given me a good reception – particularly if my horse had won. The Irish are a sporting people."

“You know I have had many invitations to visit Ulster, but I have refused them all. I don’t want to go there at all, I would much rather go to southern Ireland. Maybe I’ll buy another horse with an entry in the Irish Derby.”

https://www.irishcentral.com/roots/history/winston-churchill-united-ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭Das Reich

Funny thing is that descendants of slaves also are the descandants of the slave owners. And African people that were not sent to American continent have also some guilty (they sold slaves to Arabs and Europeans).

tear down the buildings, everyone in Jamaica gets a brick

Could keep the buildings though. 46,000 people were compensated in Britain, only 800 or so here if I recall correctly.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭joe40

Fun fact, the guy who wrote the well known hymn "amazing grace" was a slave trader.
    He converted to religion after a bad storm but continued slave trading.

Not condoning anything, I don't care what the time any human being should have known slavery was vile

• Registered Users Posts: 15,808 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

The younger members run the joint as far as I can see. The Indo keeps trying to scare us with the idea that behind their democratic facade lies a group of fascists, but given Sinn Fein's position on literally everything they are clearly far to the left on social issues and on immigration etc.

As for the Russell statue, it should probably go.

Leave it there as an embarrassment to pub republicans and a reminder how the RA flirted with Nazis.
    It looks terrible, poor effort at a statue it's like it's made of concrete.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,808 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Edgware wrote: »
    Let's tear down the John Mitchell statue in Newry. He was a slave owner in the U.S.

So was George Washington, father of the nation.
    Bet there's thousands of statues and things named after him. Get cracking lads.

like Memento Park in Budapest, where they moved all the statues of Lenin, Marx etc. from Hungary's communist era

I was there. I felt a bit sorry for the communist transport minister of Budapest 1945-1970 or so. I felt he did a bang up job.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,017 ✭✭✭Odhinn

Ex fuckin zactly.

So was George Washington, father of the nation.
    Bet there's thousands of statues and things named after him. Get cracking lads.

Yeh, a lot of the confederate bashing was merely the history of the victors. Not that those statues ( most added in or post Jim Crow) shouldn't have gone, but what about the clear racists and slave owners who were US, and not confederate, patriots? Keeping Jefferson's memorial are we? Oh the capital and a State is named after a slave owner? Oh is the name of your foremost military academy still the name of a pox spreading war criminal?

Great.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,500 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

The notion that young people in the west today are somehow being 'oppressed' is too absurd to entertain.

No generation has had more opportunities and everything handed to them in history.

All seems a bit demented really, like there is a serious lack of perspective.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭dan1895

Odhinn wrote: »
    Ex fuckin zactly.

They would need a much bigger park in the UK, though. Maybe Hyde park might do it but there'd be nowhere for a picnic, or a kick around.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,998 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

that's going a bit far now...

Why? Things change. I think it's fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

The parallels with ISIS here are ridiculous. ISIS destroyed ancient monuments because they weren't Muslim. The protestors today tore down the statue because he made his money from trading slaves. Honestly, who wants to celebrate slave trading?

I'm baffled it took so long to read this comment.

The man was a slave trader and absolute scum, why exactly should he have a monument to him?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,017 ✭✭✭Odhinn

They would need a much bigger park in the UK, though. Maybe Hyde park might do it but there'd be nowhere for a picnic, or a kick around.

True. They're no way near coming to terms with their colonial past there though, though in fairness you can say the same for a lot of the European former colonial powers.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,391 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

I would have preferred it if they'd gone through the route of approaching the local council or whomever has jurisdiction over this but a man like this has no business being idolised like this in the 21st century.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 13,852 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

He was a slave trader ffs. The IRA blew up Nelson's column, same bloody thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭SharpshooterTom

Cromwell is now trending on twitter. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,670 ✭✭✭ShamNNspace

Maybe they might head town to ballybunion next and pull down Clinton's statue an throw it in the sea, after all wasn't it his vile wife who on Obamas watch (Power played a part in it too but she got the usual soft soap chat with Duffy the other day) pulverised a nation into the stone age turning it a haven for bandits and training ground for terrorists and a place which now sells slaves in open markets just kilometres from the EUs border. I remember just getting a disinterested half smile and quick change of subject when I mentioned it at the time. Do these Black lives matter too??

• Advertisement

Why? Things change. I think it's fine.

Where would you stop in Britain? Churchill may have helped save Europe from Naziism but he was a clear racist in other parts of his political career. And during the war to, to bengal?

As I said 46,000 people were compensated, and that is probably the entirety of the great and good of British society at the time, beyond that era there were innumerable others. Queen Liz for instance.

British trading in enslaved Africans became established in the 1500s. In 1562 Captain John Hawkins was the first known Englishman to include enslaved Africans in his cargo. Queen Elizabeth approved of his journey, during which he captured 300 Africans. He then sailed across the North Atlantic and exchanged them for hides, ginger and sugar. He returned to London in 1563. Thirsty for greater profits, he organised another voyage for 1564 to which Queen Elizabeth contributed one vessel.

http://queryblog.tudorhistory.org/2009/02/question-from-mike-elizabeths-views-on.html

Off with Liz's head.

Advertisement