Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unlearning what our society has taught us.

Options
124»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,816 ✭✭✭skooterblue2

coinop wrote: »
    You're correct. So why is the feeding the Ethiopian population the responsibility the Irish? I remember during Live-Aid that it was announced the Irish donated more per head than anyone else in the world. A nation of suckers.

Its only when you have Bob Geldof telling you, you are a cheap skate and he doesnt pay tax himself. Bono telling you to cough up more you skinflint nation with being registered for recording rights in Shannon and tax in Amsterdam and the rest in Caribbean that puts it into perspective.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 814 ✭✭✭debok

However, I'd say that personality counts far more than appearance, and more importantly, personality is something that can be changed/modified. This idea of personality being static and that you're stuck with that way when were born, was such a limiting factor. Leaving that limiting belief behind me, was one of the greatest changes in my life.

There is a saying in Chinese Medicine that :
    The face you have in your 20's is the face your parents gave you,
    The face you have in your 30's is the face Society gave you,
    The face you have in your 40's is the face you gave yourself.

On reflection be kind to yourself and others.

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭Fritzbox

There is a saying in Chinese Medicine that :
    The face you have in your 20's is the face your parents gave you,
    The face you have in your 30's is the face Society gave you,
    The face you have in your 40's is the face you gave yourself.

On reflection be kind to yourself and others.

Chinese medicine says that? Didn't Coco Chanel say something similar?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 814 ✭✭✭debok

Fritzbox wrote: »

But the Chinese spread it around the world. Too soon?!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

Isn’t the face you have the result of tiger langer soup?

eviltwin wrote: »
    Always respect and be good to your parents. Still elements of that school of thought around today but it was worse when I was young.

People might be better if that was still the case.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,695 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

People might be better if that was still the case.

To be fair to them, it is still the case for the vast majority of people in Irish society and their parents that they respect their parents and are good to their parents. It’s also understandable that there exist in Irish society a small number of people who may not have a good relationship with their parents.

It’s also true to say that some people who have issues with their parents end up in positions where they try to inflict their issues on parents through those parents children. Well, they try anyway. It’s something I’ve noticed with legislation and policies being introduced which attempts to do an end-run around parental consent in the same way as it was done by authoritarians previously in society. That’s why I suggested earlier that not all that much has actually changed in Irish society.

Fritzbox wrote: »

I learned it in Acupuncture college from a psychologist

A Green Card to the US is a Status Symbol to tell your inner circle about.

I have an engineer "in my pocket"

Follow the Crowd to be successful

• Advertisement
Advertisement