Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What book are you reading atm?? CHAPTER TWO

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

I opened a book and in I strode

Now nobody can find me.

I’ve left my chair, my house, my road,

My town and my world behind me.

I’m wearing the cloak, I’ve slipped on the ring,

I’ve swallowed the magic potion.

I’ve fought with a dragon, dined with a king

And dived in a bottomless ocean.

I opened a book and made some friends.

I shared their tears and laughter

And followed their road with its bumps and bends

To the happily ever after.

I finished my book and out I came.

The cloak can no longer hide me.

My chair and my house are just the same,

But I have a book inside me.

Julia Donaldson

• Registered Users Posts: 13,412 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

Finished Small Game, it was an enjoyable enough quick read.

Started Gwendy's Magic Feather yesterday, it's the follow up to Gwendy's Button Box by Stephen King and Richard Chizmar, but this one is just written by Chizmar and you can tell. His style is very different to King's and I personally find it a bit jarring, he basically writes as if he's narrating someone's day. I'll finish it but I wouldn't be rushing out to buy any of his other stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,561 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

‘Come Closer’ by Sara Gran. Another short one.

A sort of psychological horror, a woman possessed by a demon and all told from her perspective so there’s gaps to be filled in by the reader for some blackouts. Decent and easy to read.

Next up will be ‘To Say Nothing of the Dog’ by Connie Willis, I think.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Registered Users Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

I have a pile of Christmas books I haven't even looked at yet, started Richard Osmond's The bullet that missed, and rather than reading new books, I have been going back to authors I Like a rereading.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,358 ✭✭✭raclle

I'm the same. They're sitting there looking at me. I'll get around to them eventually. Currently reading "The Alchemist" shouldn't take long as its a short book.

• Advertisement

It’s more about the journey than the destination with ‘The Alchemist’.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

Enjoying it so far. Have a feeling it'll come full circle.

I'm mostly hate-reading Gwendy's Magic Feather at this point, it's objectively awful. I long since gave up finishing shíte books out of obligation but I do want to get to the third one in the trilogy, which Stephen King has co-written again.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,051 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Finished end of watch by Stephen king last in the Mr Mercedes series of books really enjoyable read

I hate that. That's one of the reasons I'll finish a book. That and the price.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭laoisgem

Starting "The myth of normal" looking forward to it as I really liked "In the realm of hungry ghosts" by Gabor Mate. My night time reading is Miriam Margolyes autobiography, it has **** reviews but just need chewing gum for the brain at bedtime. As a side note, I didn't get the hype with "The body keeps the score".

• Registered Users Posts: 32,051 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Surprised to hear Miriam Margolyes book has crap reviews?! I thought it was a really fun and funny page turner.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭Jack Daw

Last book I read was White Noise by Don De Lillo.

Very weird that I happened to be reading it when that train de-railment incident in Ohio occurred, which is pretty much identical to a similar incident in the book.

Thought the book was good, something different, there's a it of everything in it, comedy, thriller, mystery and dystopian fiction all rolled into one.

Good to know, I was surprised to see the bad reviews. It's mad that I can actually imagine her voice speaking the words in the book 😁

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭krusty411

Currently reading The priory of the orange tree, it flows really well, I like how Samantha Shannon writes. Last week I finished The laws of the skies, it's a short horror story translated from French in and around 160 pages I think, it was alright but no 6 year old's think or speak like the ones in this book.

• Registered Users Posts: 877 ✭✭✭_Godot_

I'm reading The Priory of the Orange Tree too, and rereading the first Skulduggery Pleasant book.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,438 ✭✭✭Sgt Hartman

The Man in the Big House by folklorist Eddie Lenihan. A collection of folklore stories from an old resident of County Clare whom Eddie visited in a psychiatric hospital in the early 80's.

Well, I finished this at about 5.30 and am already 118 pages into Gwendy's Final Task. The difference with King at the helm is staggering.

Sounds very interesting, let us know your thoughts,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,481 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

I have loads of literary books to read , but I do love history so starting Inglorious Empire by Shashi Tharoor. Its about the British rule in India and how they caused excess deaths of100 to 165 million people in 40 years

Post edited by cj maxx on

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭rock chic

Belonging by Catherine Corless its brilliant

• Registered Users Posts: 30,354 ✭✭✭✭Tauriel

Murder Most Local: Historic Murders of West Cork by Peter O'Shea

Just started Lessons in Chemistry by Bonnie Garmus, based on a recommendation from my 5th year English teacher which was seconded by my sister. But everyone in it is a sexist prick and I hate it already after only 25 pages 😞

There's some great little stories on weird supernatural occurrences such as fairy abductions and piseógs. Some of the other stories ramble on for too long though, especially the one where he's explaining in detail how an old wheat chaff separator works, I got bored and moved to the next story.

I guess when it comes to story collections you just have to separate the wheat from the chaff.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,839 ✭✭✭RayCon

Just finished Trevor Horn : Adventures in Modern Recording: From ABC to ZTT. I admire Trevor Horn and the book is interesting in telling his beginnings and then the major songs he's played on / produced over the years however his story telling is a combination of "This one time in Band Camp" coupled with the Fast Show Character who's catchphrase was "Which was nice".

7/10

• Registered Users Posts: 30,354 ✭✭✭✭Tauriel

Code Breaker: The Untold Story of Richard Hayes, the Dublin Librarian Who Helped Turn the Tide of World War II by Marc Mc Menamin

Fascinating true story about the former Director of the National Library of Ireland who was seconded to the ultra secretive G2 of the Irish Army during WWII. Hayes was a brilliant cryptographer who single handedly broke a number of Nazi codes, which neither the infamous Bletchley Park or Americans could decipher, which ultimately helped the Allies defeat the Nazis but also importantly, kept Ireland out of the War.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,885 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Just finished The Secret History by Donna Tartt. I feel like I've been reading it for months. It's ok but way too long. Also in what world do 20 year olds talk like that and drink like that. Glad it's over finally.

• Advertisement

Advertisement