Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rucksack epidemic

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,905 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Man bags are so much bigger than ladies' handbags these days.

How the worm has turned all the same.

I give all credit to gay men. They made it OK.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Inspector Coptoor

I cycle to work so would be bringing in a change of clothes, iPad, maybe some notes/files, food etc.
    Got a new weaterproof bag for Christmas and its high viz.
    I wouldn't really bring a big rucksack on public transport tho.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭dancingqueen

They are handy alright, but yesterday a fellow with one on his back decided to try on a shoe (in Schuh) awkwardly in the middle of the floor, backpack upon his back and smashed me in the face. Be aware of your dimensions, is the key

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

Each to their own I suppose, but I still don't understand where it suddenly came from. I commuted to work in Dublin city centre for ten years and never saw it. Went to work abroad for a couple of years and when I came back it seems to be the new craze

Well in 10 years theres been this invention called the laptop which most people have and need to bring to and from work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,465 ✭✭✭✭darkpagandeath

Are we getting confused between what most of us have a backpack a small one vs a Rucksack used to climb Everest ?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Backpack salesmen I'd say.

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭Desmo

I cycle to work so I use it to carry rain gear, cycle repair kit, phone charger and sometimes laptop or any paperwork. My rucksack is huge. It is big enough to take everything I need as handluggage only for a trip abroad of up to a few days. I also use it to carry shopping home. I have no alternative. If I get the bus or Dart I still use it. It probably looks really awful. Good!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,814 ✭✭✭harry Bailey esq

I wear one, Is better than a Man bag... Never know when the OH will call and ask you to bring stuff back is dead handy.

Haha whipped!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,465 ✭✭✭✭darkpagandeath

Haha whipped!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qUUc4Cq5NJc

NSFW or something...

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

Desmo wrote:
    I cycle to work so I use it to carry rain gear, cycle repair kit, phone charger and sometimes laptop or any paperwork. My rucksack is huge. It is big enough to take everything I need as handluggage only for a trip abroad of up to a few days. I also use it to carry shopping home. I have no alternative. If I get the bus or Dart I still use it. It probably looks really awful. Good!

Don't care what you look like. Just keep it out of my face.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,744 ✭✭✭diomed

How else are you going to bring home office stationery?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,752 ✭✭✭Lights On

First Up wrote: »
    Don't care what you look like. Just keep it out of my face.

Sounds like my ex girlfriend.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,431 ✭✭✭MilesMorales1

Battery pack
    Phone cable
    Water bottle
    Book.
    Umbrella
    Spare plastic bag.

Easy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Chartsengrafs

smash wrote: »
    I bet he learned how to play the guitar, grew some dreads and developed a higher state of consciousness too.

He went abroad, not to Galway.

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭Otis_taylor2

Yes I'm that guy who always whips out the guitar at house parties. My repertoire includes wonderwall and Robbie Williams Angels

Is this you ?

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭Neil Issagum

Yes I'm that guy who always whips out the guitar at house parties. My repertoire includes wonderwall and Robbie Williams Angels

Is this you ?

No

• Registered Users Posts: 6,190 ✭✭✭Archeron

Bring back those weird little canvas bag granny trolley pulley things in a wide selection of tartans, that'll be much better and it will create a golden age for the small rubber wheel makers.

smash wrote: »
    Maybe it's the extra space they take up on public transport when their glorified man bag squashes you in the face as they squeeze on to the Luas

Are you a midget/dwarf/little person?
    Yes I am

They are handy alright, but yesterday a fellow with one on his back decided to try on a shoe (in Schuh) awkwardly in the middle of the floor, backpack upon his back and smashed me in the face. Be aware of your dimensions, is the key

Did you call him up on it?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭Pac1Man

OP which are you talking about?

Bag A

Or

Bag B

Or somewhere in between?

• Advertisement

Pac1Man wrote: »
    OP which are you talking about?

Bag A

Or

Bag B

Or somewhere in between?

Exhibit 'A' your honour

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,436 ✭✭✭c_man

Grown men travelling around looking like overgrown junior cert students with a schoolbag full of books on their back.

Well, how else do you propose carrying them?! Most days of the week I'll have a bag going into work. It'll contain a laptop, notebook and maybe a book or two which are needed for my current project. Once in a while, I'll have lunch in there too.

The requirements aren't much different from the schooldays so why would we need a different bag/contraption?

Exhibit 'A' your honour

That's a backpack. Exhibit b is a rucksack.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

It all the fault of Dora and Backpack!

syklops wrote: »
    Exhibit 'A' your honour

That's a backpack. Exhibit b is a rucksack.
    Both are hideous to me

• Registered Users Posts: 28,719 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Just buy a car people! Much easier than lugging stuff around (may cost a bit more though)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

Each to their own I suppose, but I still don't understand where it suddenly came from. I commuted to work in Dublin city centre for ten years and never saw it. Went to work abroad for a couple of years and when I came back it seems to be the new craze

Has been the norm since I started work in 2007.

Big corporates issue backpacks with laptops because the older style laptop bags destroy your spine and companies don't want to be liable for the damage to your posture.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,176 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

It would be physically impossible for me to use a backpack or a rucksack without lumbering around the office in a white crash-helmet going "PSSSSHHH! Good luck, Mr. Gorski!" :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭boobar

I use a messenger bag. I need to be able carry laptop, notepads, work papers, kindle for reading at lunch or on the train. Pens, portable hard drive, lunch box.

Just handy. No need for a gigantic back pack.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

I only wear mine coming and going to suicide bomber practice at the Mosque.

Advertisement