Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rucksack epidemic

Options
  • 04-01-2016 1:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭

Has anyone noticed this lately? It seems to have spread like the plague in the last year or so.

You see it on the Dart, you see it on the Luas and you see it on the bus. Grown men travelling around looking like overgrown junior cert students with a schoolbag full of books on their back. When did it suddenly become necessary for men to cart a rucksack full of god knows what into work and back every day?

And I'm not talking about laptop bags I mean the full on Bear Grylls style camping rucksack with utility pockets and room for the kitchen sink

I think they look ridiculous. I don't know why it annoys me, but it does. Maybe it's the extra space they take up on public transport when their glorified man bag squashes you in the face as they squeeze on to the Luas looking like they're about to trek through the Himalayas, or maybe I'm just nosey and want to know what's in the bag.......is it their lunch? Or are they all like Lionel Hutz with his briefcase full of shredded paper

Come on lads leave it out please. Keys, wallet, and phone......what else could a grown man possibly need to leave the house with!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭eeguy

Laptop, work notes, lunch, phone charger. Loads of things really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭me_irl

Come on lads leave it out please. Keys, wallet, and phone......what else could a grown man possibly need to leave the house with!

I just bring a small backpack with my daily lunch hurriedly put together that morning... so it's.... (opens bag) a turkey sandwich for me today... I think. Plus a thermos of coffee (yeah, I'm 'that guy'. Saves me roughly fiver a day buying!).

Put that together with books (academic and / or personal), a4 pads, etc. I can see why people would need more room. But not that much!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

Maybe it's the extra space they take up on public transport when their glorified man bag squashes you in the face as they squeeze on to the Luas

Are you a midget/dwarf/little person?

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,074 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

Zombie apocalypse survival kit?

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭tigerboon

Brief cases were used in ye olde dayes

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭Fukuyama

Lots of people are out of the house for 12 hours a day - for example if you're working fulltime and doing evening classes. Or if they're going to the gym after work or some other hobby.

I have a laptop bag pack. Contains laptop, charger, lunch, A4 pad, pens and a bottle of water. Quite handy. Only bring it 3 days a week. It can be a pain if going to the pub after work or something though...

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

battery pack?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

No problem as long as they remember they are wearing them and that there are people behind them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,070 ✭✭✭questionmark?

Normal rucksack is kind of important when your out of the house for so long espicially if you don't drive to work. I bring one, lunch, bottle of water, phone charger, e-cig liquid and charger, keys (too bulky in the work pants), small umbrella, work notes if heading off for a meeting, sometimes the passport, change of clothes if going out after work etc...

Feck I'm very organised for work!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,622 ✭✭✭Ruu

I bring a lot of clothes to work if I want to work out before or after so might have a few days worth of stuff that I need to clear out every once in a while.

Why does it bother you so much though? Are they getting in your way or what?

• Advertisement

I bring my backpack with me whenever I want to go shopping. If I'm doing a grocery shop, it's a manbag stuffed inside a backpack. Screw paying for plastic bags that'll likely snap in a few minutes of use. Don't really care if people think it looks odd to be a grown man with a backpack - they're useful and practical as fuck.

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭Neil Issagum

Each to their own I suppose, but I still don't understand where it suddenly came from. I commuted to work in Dublin city centre for ten years and never saw it. Went to work abroad for a couple of years and when I came back it seems to be the new craze

It's cans of Dutch gold in the rucksack isn't it

Each to their own I suppose, but I still don't understand where it suddenly came from. I commuted to work in Dublin city centre for ten years and never saw it. Went to work abroad for a couple of years and when I came back it seems to be the new craze

Ah, now we've gotten to the bottom of the issue.

Goes off "travelling", and comes back better than the rucksack carrying Irish. I see, I see.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

It's cans of Dutch gold in the rucksack isn't it

Only on the Red Line......it's still Kraftbier on the Green... ;)

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Mine is just full of crumbled up newspapers.

biko wrote: »
    Mine is just full of crumbled up newspapers.
    Is that you Lionel Hutz?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,974 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

G'sss OP, people have different requirements. As someone else stated people can be out for a large period of the day. I myself am out for about 12 hours in the day. As I'm gone so long a backpack is practical and can include:

Umbrella
    Rainproof outers
    Lunch
    Large headphones
    Pens/notepad

It's ideal to have space left over in case I have to bring any items to/from work. We don't all live 5 mins away.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

Goes off "travelling", and comes back better than the rucksack carrying Irish. I see, I see.

I bet he learned how to play the guitar, grew some dreads and developed a higher state of consciousness too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Skatedude

It's been a common thing for decades, between phone, wallet, house and car keys , bottle of coke/ water not going to fit in your pockets. never mind tablet or laptop and i usually have a few basic tools as a technician.
    and lunch and wristguards if i've got my skateboard with me.

• Advertisement

smash wrote: »

I bet he learned how to play the guitar, grew some dreads and developed a higher state of consciousness too.
    Yes I'm that guy who always whips out the guitar at house parties. My repertoire includes wonderwall and Robbie Williams Angels

• Registered Users Posts: 15,912 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Possible terrorists. They are everywhere now.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,781 ✭✭✭KungPao

I'd say some are transporting body parts.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

Jaysus, when I leave for work in the morning I have a gym bag with two sets of training gear, shower kit, towel, uniform, boots, and that's just the bare essentials. If I was going to be doing anything after work I'd possibly have a bit of extra grub, maybe a book if there might be any hanging about for intervals. Definitely not hard to see how people might carry a respectable amount of stuff with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,866 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Personally I use a slim flat attache bag with a padded laptop section, its unintrusive

But when men started using handbags, they were hardly likely to be small, were they? The Swiss Army Knife of satchels.

By the way, ive seen lads with such bags on underground trains in London, New York, Singapore - its hardly an Irish thing, the reason the Irish bags are bigger, is the necessity to carry four-seasons-in-one-day worth of spare clothes.

Possible terrorists. They are everywhere now.
    Sarcasm or not, that is true. If I was in some kind of undercover anti terrorism police unit, the rucksack carrying weirdos would be first to draw my attention

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

My rucksack is just full to the brim of condoms.
    I'm just such a handsome devil, that I require that many each day due to the female of the species throwing themselves at me.

Oh, and I've my lunch and a brolly in there too.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,912 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Sarcasm or not, that is true. If I was in some kind of undercover anti terrorism police unit, the rucksack carrying weirdos would be first to draw my attention

Yeah, it was tongue in cheek, but by the same token nearly EVERYONE has a backpack nowadays, so the cops will have a tough time of it. Unless they can identify the weirdos from the ordinary.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,465 ✭✭✭✭darkpagandeath

I wear one, Is better than a Man bag... Never know when the OH will call and ask you to bring stuff back is dead handy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,249 ✭✭✭✭endacl

I bring a different part of the body to dispose of in a different part of the city each day. I'll be done in a week or so, OP. Be grand. Thanks for your patience during this difficult time.

Advertisement