Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Teen Worked In Shop For 10 Weeks To Afford Christmas Presents-Told He’s Unpaid Intern

Options
13»

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,869 ✭✭✭asherbassad

At least this guy got some valid experience through the work.

He learned that he should work his bollix off in school to avoid having to work for one of these gits later in life.

So educated workers are suddenly immune from scumbag employers?

• Registered Users Posts: 73,382 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

gofundme page is gone now.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,502 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

Teen Worked In Shop For 10 Weeks To Afford Christmas Presents.

Did he not twig after the second week of not getting paid that something wasnt right?

or after the first month?

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭NoCrackHaving

Teen Worked In Shop For 10 Weeks To Afford Christmas Presents.

Did he not twig after the second week of not getting paid that something wasnt right?

or after the first month?

This is the bit of the story that doesn't ring quite true. Even if you were being paid monthly, after 4 weeks and no pay you'd be asking questions.

However his mother really should have been helping him out a bit more regarding National Insurance number's and the like. It's likely a 15 year old in his first job would no sweet fa about these sort of things but his mother should.

This is the bit of the story that doesn't ring quite true. Even if you were being paid monthly, after 4 weeks and no pay you'd be asking questions.

However his mother really should have been helping him out a bit more regarding National Insurance number's and the like. It's likely a 15 year old in his first job would no sweet fa about these sort of things but his mother should.

A national insurance number is automatically assigned to everyone just before they reach 16 so that it is active for use once they reach that age.
    You dont pay NI if you are under 16 and work.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,574 ✭✭✭falan

Reminds me of when I was 16 or 17 and doing a welding course. I did 6 weeks unpaid work experience right before christmas in an absolutely freezing welding/engineering workshop.
    The boss told me after a day or 2 that if I worked really hard then there would be a really good bonus at Christmas for me which would also be when I was finishing up.
    I swear I never worked so hard in my line with him nearly everyday reminding me of this great bonus I was getting christmas week.
    I was basically his bitch, making tea, going to the shop and sweeping up all day everyday.
    It was a filthy grimy workshop. He had these machines he wanted me to clean up and sell at auction so I spent weeks wire brushing rust and painting them up, all the time him telling me about this great bonus I would be getting at Christmas.
    The day finally came that my suffering would end. It was 3 days before christmas I think.
    The mood in the workshop was festive. The lads were breaking up for two weeks and we were all off down the pub for a Christmas drink. It was also the day I was leaving.
    I couldn't wait to get my hard earned bonus that boss man had been boasting about everyday.
    Finally he called me into his office and gave me this great speech about how hard I had worked and he that i had earned my bonus.
    He gave me my envelope with my name all neatly printed and wished me luck, merry Christmas, thanks and goodbye.
    I was so excited walking out the gate. Now time to go and get twisted and maybe get a Christmas kiss somewhere.
    When I opened the envelope there was 5 pounds and a with compliments printed on a piece of paper...yes 5 pounds...Never been so gutted in my life the stingy fat Fcuk..I think it got me 3 pints. 

• Registered Users Posts: 24 huwants2no

Seems to be common practice these days for 'college kids' to be taken on 'training days' by sme's (stingy mingy e-arsĕholes) and not chuck em a few quid.if someone does a bit of work for u,you pay them.isnt that the way the world turns

• Registered Users Posts: 1,051 ✭✭✭purplepanda

jonny24ie wrote: »
    Actually the young lad can legally work part time from 13 so the shop owner is a tool

https://www.gov.uk/child-employment/minimum-ages-children-can-work

Appears from that link that employers have to do a detailed work health & safety assessment for each under 18 worker & give a copy to their parents / guardian / authority. Plus other potential paperwork.

Asking around friends regarding this issue & it appears that many companies also won't employ under 18's due to insurance reasons / age of legal responsibility issues.

Apprenticeships don't seem to usually start until 18 years old plus nowadays.

Hardly surprising that some young people opt of of education & spend years in limbo when in former years they would have found some employment & earned a wage & responsibility. :rolleyes:

Advertisement