Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Teen Worked In Shop For 10 Weeks To Afford Christmas Presents-Told He’s Unpaid Intern

Options
  • 08-12-2015 10:54am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,431 ✭✭✭

A teenager who spent 10 weeks before and after school working in a shop to save up for Christmas has been told he won’t be getting paid.

Jay El-Leboudy, 15, had been working mornings and evenings in his local Londis for over two months in a bid to save up for gifts for his family.

However, when he came to collect his overdue wages he was told by the boss that he wouldn’t be getting them – as he was on unpaid work experience.

Furious mum Zoe Buckwell said the store’s owners – who were family friends – had arranged an internship with the view of taking him on part time.

She says he had been working two days a week at the shop in Canterbury, Kent, since.

She told The Canterbury Times: “Jay worked nearly every day during half term.
    "He was hoping to have his money in time to buy Christmas presents.”

One of the stores owners told the paper he had never agreed a wage.

He said: “I said to her [Jay’s mother] that he’s only 15. The law says he’s not allowed to work and because we sell alcohol, he’s not allowed in lots of areas, but he is allowed to follow people around.”

https://news.yahoo.com/teen-who-worked-in-corner-shop-for-10-weeks-to-170210642.html

Man thats really ****ty. He might not have agreed a wage or whatever, but I bet it was implied, and that shop owners just chancing his arm. Even if the kid is too young for work, surely bunging him a few quid won't kill them.

*waits for the inevitable job bridge comparison*

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

If he needed unpaid work experience to stack shelves then the boss should've just told him to go home and play Tetris.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,318 ✭✭✭✭Menas

WTF like?
    Poor kid gets a hard early lesson on what nasty shytes people can be.
    Hopefully the kid gets his dues.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,556 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Naughty show owners, although in fairness, this would suggest that actually hiring him would be illegal:
    The boss of the store, who does not want to be named, said they do not have to pay the teen, because Jay was allowed free hot drinks.

He said: "I said to her [Jay's mother] that he's only 15. The law says he's not allowed to work and because we sell alcohol, he's not allowed in lots of areas, but he is allowed to follow people around.

"I have had in the past someone come in and take things in their bag.

"So in his case I had to take trust with the fact I know the parents and his grandfather.

"I treat all my staff like family, I said he's allowed to eat and drink whatever he likes.

"If he turned up after school and he was hungry, I'd say he could have a coffee.

I gave her the fact that because he's not got a national insurance number he would not be allowed any sort of payment or anything from me.

"I need to tell the tax people. When he's 16 he would be allowed payment if there was a vacancy and if things work out."

It may all work out though:
    After learning he wouldn't be getting any money, Zoe started a fundraising page to help fund Jay's Christmas shopping - which has already received more than £100.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/teen-told-10-week-shop-6968075

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭The Sun King

I thought it was fairly common courtesy to hand the young fella or girl an envelope with a few quid in it on the last day of work experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭petes

"If he turned up after school and he was hungry, I'd say he could have a coffee."

That would fill your belly!!

• Advertisement

I thought it was fairly common courtesy to hand the young fella or girl an envelope with a few quid in it on the last day of work experience.

Also common courtesy to not get the papers involved when you're insulting a shop owner for not breaking the law.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,431 ✭✭✭MilesMorales1

Also common courtesy to not get the papers involved when you're insulting a shop owner for not breaking the law.

Well law or not, its a pretty ****ty thing to do.

Not breaking the law, but still being a tight git. Throw the kid 150euro even and be done with it.

I'd like to know the misers in my area, whatever the "well technically.." crowd have to say about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,986 ✭✭✭conorhal

I agree, that's seriously stingy. The kid seems however to be under the impression he was in paid employment rathere then a work experience gig, so I kind of wonder why it never occured to him to ask when it was pay day or what his hourly rate was. It was a bit dim or timid or both not to ask such basic questions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭Summer wind

The shop owner should be shot with a ball of his own ****e.

• Advertisement

conorhal wrote: »
    I agree, that's seriously stingy. The kid seems however to be under the impression he was in paid employment rathere then a work experience gig, so I kind of wonder why it never occured to him to ask when it was pay day or what his hourly rate was. It was a bit dim or timid or both not to ask such basic questions.

Agreed. As a teenager doing work experience you should expect nothing, as that's what the gig involves. However you shouldn't go away empty handed, expected or not, as a gesture even.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,404 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

I think 10 weeks in a shop is a little more than work experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,719 ✭✭✭lertsnim

The shop owner is a dick. An internship in a supermarket? Give over. Instead of giving the lad a couple of hundred he now has the bad publicity. Well played sir. Why would the child work 10 weeks without pay and not think something was wrong?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭purplepanda

Since when is it illegal for a 15 year old to work (as in get a paid wage) in a grocers shop? Myself & most of my 14 -15 year old friends done much the same in Bakers, Butchers, Grocers, even Woolworths & Tescos, some even got jobs when they left school at 16! Yes most kids actually left as they could get jobs! :eek:

This was the early '80's & I don't remember the law being changed? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,936 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

AdamD wrote: »
    I think 10 weeks in a shop is a little more than work experience.

according to this, he worked about 8 hours a week (2 nights, from 5 to 9)

http://m.canterburytimes.co.uk/Outrage-Canterbury-teen-works-unpaid-weeks/story-28299469-detail/story.html

it really does just look like work experience at that rate.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,485 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

15YO's must be getting soft.

Time to stick a brick through the shop window.

At least this guy got some valid experience through the work.

He learned that he should work his bollix off in school to avoid having to work for one of these gits later in life.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,936 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

his mother has set up a gofundme page.

of all the causes that are online, i'm thinking although he might have got screwed over, why would anyone contribute to a 15 year old's Christmas fund?
    she obviously wants something decent from him.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

In a world where kids are being directed toward self obsessed narcissism and getting the next best selfie shot. Here we have a young lad with a sense of responsibility and a maturity & willingness to get of his ass and put in the work. It's the kind of qualities we should welcome and promote in younger kids. It's just unfortunate that he has probably met his first real kunt in life. No law may have been broken, but putting a few pound into his hand is what most decent people would have done.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,025 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Since when is it illegal for a 15 year old to work (as in get a paid wage) in a grocers shop? Myself & most of my 14 -15 year old friends done much the same in Bakers, Butchers, Grocers, even Woolworths & Tescos, some even got jobs when they left school at 16! Yes most kids actually left as they could get jobs! :eek:

This was the early '80's & I don't remember the law being changed? :rolleyes:

I think you have to be a family member of the owner to work at that age now

• Advertisement

This story has done very well on Reddit. Wonder how long until someone starts a gofundme and raises thousands of pounds for Christmas presents.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Lesson no1 young man don't let your mother organise an unpaid internship and keep her away from red tops .

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Except it doesn't seem like that's what happened here.

It sounds like he was still "working" there, and went up to the owner to find out where his wages were. Of course the owner is going to go, "Uh, nowhere?"

Perhaps the owner was going to throw him a few quid in the run up to Xmas, but we'll never know now because his mother appears to have led him astray by organising an unpaid internship.

The chances are that the mother had agreed to do an unpaid internship - or maybe misunderstood what the store owner said (because, I would assume/hope that they would have said upfront whether it'd be unpaid or not), but didn't inform the son about this, so when he approached the owners, they were confused.

And now, because of this mother, the shop and the owners are made to be the bad guys.

Shop owner seems a miserable Scrooge.

Kid seems gormless.

Parents should put their hands up too.

A shower of dimwits all round. No wonder they were friends before the kid took a job without asking how much he was getting per hour, and the owner took advantage of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭OldNotWIse

Shop owner is a miserable shíte IMO and I feel sorry for the kid. But the mother setting up a go fund me page? Seriously? I think this one annoys me even more than my homosexual friend who set one up to pay for a sperm donor so she can have a kid :D

• Registered Users Posts: 78,278 ✭✭✭✭Victor

It would seem not to be illegal for over-13s to work in England. https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/work/young-people/young-people-and-employment/
    although there may be bye-laws making further restrictions.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,449 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Actually the young lad can legally work part time from 13 so the shop owner is a tool

https://www.gov.uk/child-employment/minimum-ages-children-can-work

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,223 Mod ✭✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

Victor wrote: »
    It would seem not to be illegal for over-13s to work in England. https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/work/young-people/young-people-and-employment/
    although there may be bye-laws making further restrictions.
    jonny24ie wrote: »
    Actually the young lad can legally work part time from 13 so the shop owner is a tool

https://www.gov.uk/child-employment/minimum-ages-children-can-work

The shop owner also said he didn't have a national insurance either though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,544 ✭✭✭Samaris

I worked (part time as a summer job) from the age of 15, as did most of my friends. We got paid absolute peanuts of course, and we all looked forward to the (slight) pay-rise when we were 16.

I believe the going rate was about 3.15/hr. That'd have been in...er...2000-2001-ish, I think.

Advertisement