Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Moving to Northern Ireland

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭trashcan

Was in a pub up there one evening. The lip was hanging out me with the thirst and I decided I’d have a swift pint bottle of Bulmers before I started on the porter.

‘Pint of Bulmers there dude’

‘We call it Magners around here, laddie’ was the reply from the red-faced overweight barman.

Ignorant bollôcks. A lot of folk up there have a terrible manner. Specially the ones close to the border. The average Armaghman is one step removed from the gorilla.

You did call him "dude" though, so I'd say you got off lightly, all things considered ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

Carnmore wrote: »
    A dystopian view..which is your nearest NI county/town?

Derry and Strabane are equidistance from me.

Derry is an ok city, I wouldn't want to live there but as a city its not bad. Strabane is a complete dump, there is no other way to describe it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Berserker

Used to spend a lot of time in Belfast for work and I loved it there. Very cheap compared to Dublin and the people were very friendly. I'd go for it if I was you, OP. Nothing to lose. If it doesn't work out you can move back.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭Shadowstrife

Ditto on Strabane. A good place to live it is nawt

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Carnmore wrote: »
    Has anyone moved to NI or know if the cost of living is cheaper?

Houses seem to be generally cheaper as are motoring costs but rates of circa £1000 GBP are payable on a 3 bed semi-detached.

Cost of living is a lot cheaper. I go up to Bangor quite a bit. Lovely town, close to Belfast, hopping pubs, some amazing walks etc. Never had an ounce of trouble.

mfceiling wrote: »

Parts of NI are fabulous and some of the houses and views there will be beyond most of us on here.

The people are just the same...worrying about work, trying to bring up their families, watching the same crap on tv, following Liverpool or Man Utd.

Cost of living is cheaper but the wages are lower...however the money seems to stretch a bit further.

Anyway for the bank holiday I'm going camping to the north coast...I'll take in the giants causeway and the game of thrones locations as well as a bbq and a few cheap craft beers (yeah the drink is cheaper).

Agree 100%. Leaving aside the boat trip from Ballycastle to Rathlin island and its enormous history, the Glens of Antrim are world-class stunning. Timeless, and steeped in a gorgeous Gaelic world history - just visiting a very old cemetery outside Cushendall and seeing the graves of medieval gallowglass/gall óglaigh was mindblowing. There are still well-preserved clacháin settlements in more remote parts, and plenty of red squirrels still in Glenariff Forest Park

The only thing they lack is a world-class hotel. If somebody renovated this beauty by the sea in Cushendun it would give some option.

A lot of folk up there have a terrible manner. Specially the ones close to the border. The average Armaghman is one step removed from the gorilla.

Ah the backward bigoted comment condemning others for being backward and bigoted. Well done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,506 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Derry and .Strabane are equidistance from me.

Derry is an ok city, I wouldn't want to live there but as a city its not bad. Strabane is a complete dump, there is no other way to describe it.

Ah strabane, was 'the most economically deprived town in the uk' for 3 years running, before scarborough or barrow in furness had a heroin epidemic and took the title.
    Has a savage 24hr asda though that appears ro be even cheaper due to its location. That is the only thing going for it though.

The north is grand. Anywhere that is relatively settled i.e. not a sectarian estate is fine, some well integrated towns on the north coast are lovely.

Advertisement