Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking for ideas/recommendations for a week or so cycling holiday...

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,326 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

Galego wrote: »

What climbs are you planning to do this summer in Asturias?

All of them haha

Well it's going to be a somewhat painful holiday if all goes well!! This is a preliminary list, subject to change. The other guys haven't been before so don't really know what's in store hahaha.
    We're going to hit 2 stages of the Vuelta along the way. Excuse any spelling mistakes.

Angliru, Cordal, Corbetoria, Gamonitero.
    Covadonga, Jitu escarandi.
    Cassielles, mirador el Fito ( Vuelta +rest day :D:D)
    Puerto Ponton, Pandetreve/Pandueredas, Cain Valdeon.
    La Cubilla (Vuelta day)
    Puerto Somiedo, Farrapona.
    No bother.....

I've previously done the Angliru, Covadonga, Farrapona, Cubilla, Fuente Dé and Piedrasluengas. Also done San Glorio twice before, fantastic climb. I might switch a Picos loop for the Ponton - Cain day, all depends on the legs and weather and I'd love to try and fit Salto la Cabra but we only have a week....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭Galego

Daroxtar wrote: »
    All of them haha
    I am from there myself and going for some cycling there this summer (as most of.my holidays). Trying to convince Terry to come with me. Tell him how beautiful this part of the world is! Way better value than anywhere in France IMO (ok i am biased).

I love loops so would always climb-descend a combination of Somiedo/Ventana/Trobaniellu/La Cubilla/Farrapona and depending on the legs you can throw in the middle San Lorenzo/Cobertoria/ Ermita de Alba to name some.

Another nice loop is Tarna (from Langreo) and descend back from San Isidro. If you do the climb San Isidro then you climb Señales from León and descend Tarna.

Pandetrave is a beast of a climb from Cain if you are planning to stay a night in Cain. No many people do the full climb as Cain is a dead end.

Anyway enjoy Asturias/Leon/Cantabria and if you ever wish to go and do different climbs/places in the Northwest of Spain then check out climbs like Ancares, Llano de las Ovejas, Foncebadon, Campo las Danzas (Vallenon), El Peñon, Fonte da Cova, Virgen del Valle, Redondal, O Cebreiro, Cabeza de Manzaneda. These are beasts and very different to the Asturias climbs. Most unused in La Vuelta.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,326 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

Galego wrote: »

Pandetrave is a beast of a climb from Cain if you are planning to stay a night in Cain. No many people do the full climb as Cain is a dead end.

That one is probably the biggest day, depending on if we do that or the Picos loop. We're staying in Cangas, so cycle up Ponton then descend to Cain. Have a good relax and meal, then climb back out and swing around to Riano for dinner before descending back Ponton to Cangas. Roughly 160/3500m.
    I'm being optimistic about the whole thing but we'll have a minibus so might shorten some of the days by driving some sections between up and back climbs. If it all goes well we'll have around 14-15000m climbing in the week. Even if we skip a bit we'll still go well over 10000

Terry, listen to Galego :D
    Here's a link to one of the Spanish websites. Turn on Google translate or just look at all the lovely pictures. It's a guy who had 3 weeks in the area and a target to climb as many of the mountains as possible. He does some job!!!
    https://apmforo.mforos.mobi/570933/10964452-3-semanas-de-zurroneo-ye-lo-que-hay/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭Galego

Daroxtar wrote: »
    I'm being optimistic about the whole thing but we'll have a minibus so might shorten some of the days by driving some sections

Terry, listen to Galego

This is a loop i want to do this summer. Scenery is amazing and not too hard on the legs. You cand add and climb La Camperona while passing Sotillos de Sabero if you want to add some more climbing.

https://www.strava.com/routes/18235403

Advertisement