Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking for ideas/recommendations for a week or so cycling holiday...

Options
  • 15-04-2019 11:23am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,881 ✭✭✭

Had an entry for this year's maratona, carried over from last year, but given the cost of going right now and the fact I've been twice before, I've decided its not worth it.
    Looking for an ideas on places to go for 4-5 days cycling, either with a tour/cycling travel company (preferable) or solo. Was thinking either Alps or Pyrennes and thick some iconic climbs off the bucket list. Happy to go any time between July-end of September (weather should be ok during that period?)
    Looking for ideas on tour companies/specific packages etc that are worth a go. Only gone abroad to do specific sportives/gran fondos in the last few years, but find them very expensive even if they are great experiences. Not interested in either etape or marmotte this year even if a spot was available.
    Any ideas/help greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭selwyn froggitt

Sierra Nevada in Andalucia.

Was there in 2015,incredible cycling on super quiet roads,brilliant climbs to some of Spains highest villages and a chance to ride (Pico Veleta) the highest paved road in Europe at over 11,000 feet.
    Based ourselves in Velez de Benaudalla and just over an hours transfer from Malaga.
    Used Cormac Keeney to sort bikes hire/transfers/hotels,great to deal with.

http://www.sierranevada.cc/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,881 ✭✭✭terrydel

Was there in 2015,incredible cycling on super quiet roads,brilliant climbs to some of Spains highest villages and a chance to ride (Pico Veleta) the highest paved road in Europe at over 11,000 feet.
    Based ourselves in Velez de Benaudalla and just over an hours transfer from Malaga.

Wow, I'd need an oxygen mask up that high!
    Looks great but this year I think I want to tick off a few of the iconic Alpine or Pyrennean climbs I've not got round to yet.
    Cheers.

terrydel wrote: »
    Looks great but this year I think I want to tick off a few of the iconic Alpine or Pyrennean climbs I've not got round to yet.
    Cheers.

Keep it on the back-burner then,you will not regret it.

Keep it on the back-burner then,you will not regret it.

Just checking out their website, it is very tempting and looks great value.
    Im guessing if I went first week of september that the weather is pretty sure to be ok?
    In the process of trying to buy a house right now so the cost of some of the trips to the more popular cycling destinations is a bit offputting, so may come back to this.
    Much appreciated.

September would be the most perfect time to visit,temperatures in the mid 20's and all the snow will have melted.
    We went in May with snow on the mountain tops,absolutely stunning but we couldn't get past this on Pico at just over 3,000 metres,great memories though.

13268479-10208131149388711-1575438602102254751-o.jpg

• Advertisement

September would be the most perfect time to visit,temperatures in the mid 20's and all the snow will have melted.
    We went in May with snow on the mountain tops,absolutely stunning but we couldn't get past this on Pico at just over 3,000 metres,great memories though.

13268479-10208131149388711-1575438602102254751-o.jpg

I've cycled up the Wicklow gap in similar! Will deffo keep this in mind if I cant find anything else that isnt overly expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭Large bottle small glass

Cheers.

In France especially, owing to the size of the race, a lot of the iconic climbs can be quite busy with traffic.

I didn't really enjoy the Tourmalet but Solour/Aubisque was a joy.

The best part of Pyrenees for me was the empty climbs the tour doesn't use.

In the Alps the Vercors region is magic, away from the busier more iconic climbs further east.

Depends what you want for trip/why you cycle.

Well known areas of Pyrenees/Alps won't be cheap.

Step outside your comfort zone and do an end to end credit car tour on a eurovelo route?

In France especially, owing to the size of the race, a lot of the iconic climbs can be quite busy with traffic.

I didn't really enjoy the Tourmalet but Solour/Aubisque was a joy.

The best part of Pyrenees for me was the empty climbs the tour doesn't use.

In the Alps the Vercors region is magic, away from the busier more iconic climbs further east.

Depends what you want for trip/why you cycle.

Well known areas of Pyrenees/Alps won't be cheap.

Step outside your comfort zone and do an end to end credit car tour on a eurovelo route?

Whats an end to end credit card route? Not heard that term used before.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,108 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

could always stick with Italy and head up around Bormio area - at the foot of the Stelvio, close to the Gavia & Mortirolo too. all fairly challenging climbs! then you've other options like Foscagno which takes you over to Livigno, can loop into Switzerland etc.
    biggest issue with it imo is the long journey up from Milan...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,548 ✭✭✭siochain

Raid Pyrenees is a great trip, quite roads, secluded villages and a good few classic climbs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭2 Wheels Good

Stayed in Argeles-Gazost near Lourdes in 2014 for the Etape, great central location for loads of scenic climbs.

Velo Peloton organises trips too
    Climbs, to quote Velo Peloton "Within 15 km there are over 30 categorised climbs, including Col du Tourmalet, Col d’Aubisque, Col du Soller, Hautacam, Cauterets, Luz Ardiden and many more. "

I've done 7 of the climbs and it really is stunning down there.

siochain wrote: »
    Raid Pyrenees is a great trip, quite roads, secluded villages and a good few classic climbs.

I saw one in the pyrennes on facebook recently, but cant recall the name!
    It looked ideal.
    I'll check yours out, cheers.

Stayed in Argeles-Gazost near Lourdes in 2014 for the Etape, great central location for loads of scenic climbs.

Climbs, to quote Velo Peloton "Within 15 km there are over 30 categorised climbs, including Col du Tourmalet, Col d’Aubisque, Col du Soller, Hautacam, Cauterets, Luz Ardiden and many more. "

Nice one, thats interesting.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,805 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i've stayed in las alpujarras a few times (my dad's cousin has lived there since the 70s). it's a beautiful part of the world.

a few years back, we dropped down to orgiva to do some shopping, and on the road up from orchiva to pampaneira, passed a chap on a bicycle, with only one leg. that's a tough enough spin with two legs...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,811 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

i've stayed in las alpujarras a few times (my dad's cousin has lived there since the 70s). it's a beautiful part of the world.

a few years back, we dropped down to orgiva to do some shopping, and on the road up from orchiva to pampaneira, passed a chap on a bicycle, with only one leg. that's a tough enough spin with two legs...

Have you read Chris Stewart's books on the area. He lives there. He was in the band Genesis before he got replaced by ... well.. Phil Collins!

It seems to be a cheaper quiter option.

Maybe a hybrid or mountain bike on the various trails around Europe would be a good option.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

Whats an end to end credit card route? Not heard that term used before.

Example: Boat to cherbourg, train to somewhere, cycle back to cherbourg, boat home.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,805 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Have you read Chris Stewart's books on the area. He lives there. He was in the band Genesis before he got replaced by ... well.. Phil Collins!
    I have it at home somewhere - we walked past his house one day, walked from fondales to orgiva and got the bus back.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,329 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

If you want something slightly different to the Alps or Pyrenees and are willing to do it yourself and not through any companies then try flying to Santander with Ryanair, rent a car and head west taking in the Picos and Cantabrian mountains. You can hit pretty much all the major climbs from the Vuelta Espana on the way: Lagos de Covadonga, Angliru, Jitu Escrandi, Corbetoria, San Lorenzo, Farrapona..... the list goes on and on. Accommodation is cheap, food is good, roads are virtually empty.
    Good Blog link to show some of the climbs in the area https://humancyclist.wordpress.com/2018/07/22/cycling-asturias/-

If you wanted to do a sportive then there's the Clasica Puertos De Somiedo in August https://www.somiedo.bike/clasicabike.html

There are a few companies doing tours in the area if that's the route you'd prefer. Here's a link to some of the itineraries

https://www.cyclefiesta.com/cycling-holidays/mountains-northern-spain.htm
    https://roadcycleasturias.com/angliru-cycling-holidays/

Might as well add that I'm heading over with a couple of clubmates in September to do a fair bit of climbing and catch a stage or two of the Vuelta while we're at it so let me know if you want anymore info.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭The Noble Nudge

Theres an Alps version of the raid...
    Will look it up later and post a link.
    All the climbs with a choice of 3 routes on the day...depending on how you feel

• Registered Users Posts: 6,303 ✭✭✭positron

Absolutely stunning place - amazing roads, amazing views, great coffee & food stops, brilliant value on everything. Granada is a fine place to stay as well, a lot of history, culture, squares, food etc etc. When wife and I were there in 2018, the temperature in Granada was nearly 40 degrees C and couple of hours later we were standing next to 10 feet tall compacted-snow thing half way up Sierra Nevada.. We were on a motorbike. I fancy going up there on a pedal bike - but good god, it must be so hard - I won't be fit for it any time soon. It's so high up in the sky I was starting to get nervous riding the motorbike up those endless hairpin turns. There were tonnes of cyclists riding to the Pico veletta that day as well. There were also at least four camouflaged test cars up there, BMWs and Nissans.

Great part of the world. I would recommend it to anyone.

• Advertisement

I'll just leave this here :) had it all to myself (and the farmer at his hay)

2014-07-23-19-57-48.jpg

Where is that?

Thanks for all the advice lads, gonna spend a bit of time over the long weekend and try nail something down, once we've sorted what dates we are taking off and the missus lets me go!

It's Luz Ardiden, not the toughest but the view back is stunning

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭Exiled1

Agree. Great base for cycling - best by far in France. Some nice little hotels at reasonable cost who are into cycling tourism. The choices of climbs are awesome, best I 'enjoyed' was Col du Tentes. Fly into Lourdes. Velo Peleton has closed since last year afaik.
    Luc-San Saveur at the bottom of the Tourmalet is another good centre, though no time to warm up before climbing the monster.
    Best time to go? After 21 August.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,525 ✭✭✭kilns

2014-07-23-19-57-48.jpg

Luz Ardiden?

Exiled1 wrote: »
    Agree. Great base for cycling - best by far in France. Some nice little hotels at reasonable cost who are into cycling tourism. The choices of climbs are awesome, best I 'enjoyed' was Col du Tentes. Fly into Lourdes. Velo Peleton has closed since last year afaik.
    Luc-San Saveur at the bottom of the Tourmalet is another good centre, though no time to warm up before climbing the monster.
    Best time to go? After 21 August.

Paddy who ran Velo Peloton sold the lodge, he actually set up a bike hire shop in Argeles Gazost, hiring quality bikes (pro level LaPierre bikes) but I dont know if he still has it open as I wasnt over last summer (my family own a house in Argeles Gazost). However I believe the lodge has only changed name and is called Haute Pyrenees cycling lodge now

kilns wrote: »
    Luz Ardiden?
    That's it, ~70km round trip from Argeles.

That's it, ~70km round trip from Argeles.

Yep, I have done it many times, more hairpins than Alp DHuez and much quieter than Tourmalet

Gavarnie while not that hard is one my favourites for the views along the way, ending at a world heritage site

kilns wrote: »
    Yep, I have done it many times, more hairpins than Alp DHuez and much quieter than Tourmalet

Gavarnie while not that hard is one my favourites for the views along the way, ending at a world heritage site
    Will second that, Gavarnie is incredible, great coffee stop before heading upwards for Col de Tentes.

Col d'Aubisque via Col du Soulor not far behind for views.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭Galego

Daroxtar wrote: »
    If you want something slightly different to the Alps or Pyrenees and are willing to do it yourself and not through any companies then try flying to Santander with Ryanair, rent a car and head west taking in the Picos and Cantabrian mountains. You can hit pretty much all the major climbs from the Vuelta Espana on the way: Lagos de Covadonga, Angliru, Jitu Escrandi, Corbetoria, San Lorenzo, Farrapona..... the list goes on and on. Accommodation is cheap, food is good, roads are virtually empty.
    Good Blog link to show some of the climbs in the area https://humancyclist.wordpress.com/2018/07/22/cycling-asturias/-

If you wanted to do a sportive then there's the Clasica Puertos De Somiedo in August https://www.somiedo.bike/clasicabike.html

There are a few companies doing tours in the area if that's the route you'd prefer. Here's a link to some of the itineraries

https://www.cyclefiesta.com/cycling-holidays/mountains-northern-spain.htm
    https://roadcycleasturias.com/angliru-cycling-holidays/

Might as well add that I'm heading over with a couple of clubmates in September to do a fair bit of climbing and catch a stage or two of the Vuelta while we're at it so let me know if you want anymore info.

Cantabria already has some amazing climbs and scenery. San Glorio is my favorite one and can be done in a loop crossing over the Picos de Europa and back.

Galicia and Leon also have some insane and beautiful climbs.

What climbs are you planning to do this summer in Asturias?

Advertisement