Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Metallica for Slane 2019

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭pawdee

Have to say I like Slane as a venue. Hell to get out of though so camping is the best option.

Saw Bob Dylan and Santana there in '84 my first outdoor gig. I was 16. Big riot the evening before.
    I enjoyed Queen in '86 even though the critics slated them.
    RHCP in 2003 were excellent.
    Guns n Roses was a laugh last year. Enjoyed it.
    I'd go to see Metallica if Judas Priest were supporting otherwise I wouldn't bother!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,509 ✭✭✭bennyl10

Anyone hearing any legitimate support rumours?
    Seeing volbeat and a7x/ghost being rumoured.. but they're surely too big to support over here

• Registered Users Posts: 37,770 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

bennyl10 wrote: »
    Anyone hearing any legitimate support rumours?
    Seeing volbeat and a7x/ghost being rumoured.. but they're surely too big to support over here

They might need big support to sell tickets

For there US stadium tour they toured with A7X, Volbeat, Gorgia and when they hit Europe on there arena tour they had Kvelertek as support

Tbh Irish promoters rarely pay out for good support bands like last May for the stones in Croke Park we got The Academic where dates in other venues got the Likes of Liam Gallagher, Richard Ashcroft, The specials etc

I'd love if we got the Smashing Pumpkins as support but doubt that will happen. I'd gladly take Volbeat, Ghost and Alice In Chains. Dont mind A7X but saw them in the 3arena last year and in Marley in 2009 and they were ok but want something different

• Registered Users Posts: 5,509 ✭✭✭bennyl10

PTH2009 wrote: »
    They might need big support to sell tickets

For there US stadium tour they toured with A7X, Volbeat, Gorgia and when they hit Europe on there arena tour they had Kvelertek as support

Tbh Irish promoters rarely pay out for good support bands like last May for the stones in Croke Park we got The Academic where dates in other venues got the Likes of Liam Gallagher, Richard Ashcroft, The specials etc

I'd love if we got the Smashing Pumpkins as support but doubt that will happen. I'd gladly take Volbeat, Ghost and Alice In Chains. Dont mind A7X but saw them in the 3arena last year and in Marley in 2009 and they were ok but want something different

That's my main worry.. that UK/Europe will get ghost and Volbeat/A7X,
    We'll get primordial(nothing against them but not that level)/the coronas an probably pay more for the privilege

• Registered Users Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭Always Be Closing

Ghost would be incredible

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Bressie confirmed as Co - headline

WHISKEY WHISKEY WHISKEY IN THE JAR

I can't imagine when the lessner known songs are played casual fans will start talking and all that

Dreading the ole ole ole, the drunks and drugged out crowd

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,596 ✭✭✭threein99

WHISKEY WHISKEY WHISKEY IN THE JAR

I can't imagine when the lessner known songs are played casual fans will start talking and all that

Dreading the ole ole ole, the drunks and drugged out crowd

Have you ever been at a Metallica gig here ?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,454 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

threein99 wrote: »

I've been to a couple of Metallica shows in Ireland where the crowd have started a Whiskey chant.

Doesn't matter whos playing Slane though. There will be thousands of olé olérs there. Singing it all day. Tri colour headbands, Celtic jerseys, animals from the midlands in Lee jeans and Ben Sherman shirts who haven't traveled beyond Athlone in 5 years, angry loud nordies who've been on the piss since 7am, people looking for fights, burning newspapers down the back and pissing everywhere.

Huge queues for the toilets, 45 minute queues for pints and food. A big crush getting out followed by a few hours sat in the carpark....

A total nightmare.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,348 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

Sounds like poor Nal isn't keen on straying outside of his big smoke comfort zone either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,952 ✭✭✭Degag

I’m guessing bringing your own booze in is outlawed?

Sounds like poor Nal isn't keen on straying outside of his big smoke comfort zone either.

Far fro it. Ill go abroad, as I've done plenty of times.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,820 ✭✭✭Wooderson

Mountcharles will try and cheapo this one through... Crystal Swing as support etc.

'Tallica in the RDS in high summer would be a belter, natch. Or indoors, even better. Theyre ace.

The Nal wrote: »
    Far fro it. Ill go abroad, as I've done plenty of times.

You could do that so and let us know how you get on it would make better reading than moaning your arse off and throwing in snide remarks about a section of the Island you clearly have an issue with.

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭DepecheHead101

You could do that so and let us know how you get on it would make better reading than moaning your arse off and throwing in snide remarks about a section of the Island you clearly have an issue with.
    But over hyping what a problem out of towners at gigs are by casting them as phantom caricatures makes his messages so sharp-witted and unmissable!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,054 ✭✭✭D.Q

threein99 wrote: »

I've been to a couple of Metallica shows in Ireland where the crowd have started a Whiskey chant.

Doesn't matter whos playing Slane though. There will be thousands of olé olérs there. Singing it all day. Tri colour headbands, Celtic jerseys, animals from the midlands in Lee jeans and Ben Sherman shirts who haven't traveled beyond Athlone in 5 years, angry loud nordies who've been on the piss since 7am, people looking for fights, burning newspapers down the back and pissing everywhere.

Huge queues for the toilets, 45 minute queues for pints and food. A big crush getting out followed by a few hours sat in the carpark....

A total nightmare.
    Did you not make the exact same comment about GnR at Slane?

D.Q wrote: »

Yup. And was 100% correct aswell.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057641420&page=69

Some essential reading here for any potential first timers.

All jokes about the apes from the midlands, its shíte that we tolerate MCD and Slane year after year. They must secretly be laughing at us.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,202 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Never been to Slane, have heard a lot of complaining about it, but would probably go for Metallica (Only seen them once, in '08 in Marlay). Hoping for a good support to make it worth while though. Ghost would be class, as would Alice in Chains.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users Posts: 6,054 ✭✭✭D.Q

D.Q wrote: »

All jokes about the apes from the midlands, its shíte that we tolerate MCD and Slane year after year. They must secretly be laughing at us.
    Haha I was dreading it beforehand because of all the scaremongering on here.

Breezed up on the day, no problems getting in.
    Queued for 5 minutes for a burrito on arrival, no more than ten minutes for pints, then breezed back to Wicklow no problem afterwards.
    Didn't notice any burning newspapers but it was quite a wet day.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 1DRose

Linking to a thread predominantly filled with comments about how brilliant it was? :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭duffman3833

most people complain about the walking to and from buses car parks etc. What do they expect, a small village with 80000 people heading into it and they complain about the walk. we should build 80000 escalators for them so

• Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭RolandGoose

The Smashing Pumpkins supporting would be incredible! Hopefully the organisers can put on a full day special event and regain the long lost magic of Slane!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,805 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

most people complain about the walking to and from buses car parks etc. What do they expect, a small village with 80000 people heading into it and they complain about the walk. we should build 80000 escalators for them so

Finally, a bit of sense!

Paris show in Stade De France is down for 12th May 2019 and ticket prices are €140-€170 😮😮

Expect Slane to be around that price

I wonder will there be Golden Circle/GA and the VIP seating ??

• Registered Users Posts: 10,218 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

Another Thread about metallica + slane + gig .......

3rd thread talking about something that hasn't been confirmed yet !!

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... "

greenspurs wrote: »
    Another Thread about metallica + slane + gig .......

i think we should start another one, just encase

How much were the seated tickets for Guns N Roses ???

Seems a much better experience and if it's under €230 I'd go for that.

How much were the seated tickets for Guns N Roses ???

Seems a much better experience and if it's under €230 I'd go for that.

fcuk that!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,710 ✭✭✭endainoz

I've been to Slane three times with three different results. First time was in 2009/8 for the Stones, great gig crowd was full of ageing hippy types and every other sort too. Getting out of there was a bit of a nightmare as we had booked a BandB in the village but went in a totally different way than we came out, guards didn't know how to get to any where and even though this seems fairly recent, Google or apple maps weren't really that common yet. Overall a good experience though.

Second time was for the Foo Fighters from 4ish years ago. That year we stayed in an unofficial campsite where you could park your car and pitch your tent right beside it. It was a great job and will hopefully do the same in 2019. Great part about that was no traffic to worry about leaving the following morning and a great show too, a highlight was when Dave and co covered Jailbreak as a tribute.

The last time was for GnR past Slane gig, went in fairly skeptical about how Axls voice would hold up but was so glad to be wrong, really blew me away. Drove that year but of traffic leaving but got out fairly handy.

I know there are some horror stories about people being stuck in traffic for ages or waiting forever for a pint and all that. The infrastructure around the village isn't great so that's an issue people just need to put up with. Didn't see much crazy ques last time for beer or food and saw no trouble whatsoever. That being said it is a huge gig of 80,000 people bound to have a few scummers thrown in there.

It's also a gig/event that's full of people who don't do many gigs and just go for the spectacle of the whole thing which is fine. I go to a lot of gigs myself but that doesn't mean I'm all high and mighty because I know what an encore is.

Overall its an amazing ampitheatre marred slightly by being too popular with poor roads but it's part of Irish culture now. How could you not smile at that image of Michael D at Springsteen from the 80s? I'm looking forward to a proper big rock show next year myself, hope to see some of you there!!!

• Advertisement

greenspurs wrote: »

Official statement was made on the leak, it was a hold your horses job as opposed to it being knocked off as having no credibility, be strange if it wasn't inevitable now.

Advertisement