Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Rugby World Cup 2019 Japan Travel etc...

Comments

GiftofGab wrote: »
    Apparently when you get a kidney transplant they don't replace the old Kidney they just stick a new one in there.

Only learned that yesterday. I always thought they would have taken it out and replaced it. There ya go!

That's a bit f**king greedy init?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 498 ✭✭BobbyBobberson

Howya folks,

Just wanted to pop in and say hi after weeks of following this thread. Decided last week to make the trip and so have applied in the ballot which closes Sunday. Fingers crossed.

Was in Japan a couple of years ago and I thought the place was absolutely incredible. Looking forward to seeing what a tournament is like over there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 96 ✭✭sligoblue

After looking up the various packages, booked to go for 11 days, Scotland, Japan and NZ v SA matches.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 395 ✭✭whampiri

I'm the opposite. Having considered the cost and value we're actually going to defer our visit until after the rugby. Given the prices are nearly 200% the norm, we should be able to get twice the time there for the same money. I.e. 4weeks instead of 2 just after the tournament.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 96 ✭✭sligoblue

whampiri wrote: »
    I'm the opposite. Having considered the cost and value we're actually going to defer our visit until after the rugby. Given the prices are nearly 200% the norm, we should be able to get twice the time there for the same money. I.e. 4weeks instead of 2 just after the tournament.

But this thread is about the Rugby World Cup rather than a standard holiday. I'm paying way more than I would the other 10 months of the year, but I'm going to watch and support the Irish Rugby team.

Have not seen anything about the 200% increase, have you a link for that? Was not aware that was the case at all!

Ill be staying in hostels myself hopefully. Last time we were there we stayed in AirBnBs and got some great prices but I see there is a major crackdown on that!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,821 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

For the ticket ballot, do you have to buy the tickets you're assigned even if you don't want them?

Or is it that if you want some of the tickets you have to buy all of them?

Seeing different answers to this. I know it doesn't take payment details so guess it's the 2nd one?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭troyzer

Eod100 wrote: »
    For the ticket ballot, do you have to buy the tickets you're assigned even if you don't want them?

Or is it that if you want some of the tickets you have to buy all of them?

Seeing different answers to this. I know it doesn't take payment details so guess it's the 2nd one?

You have to take all of the tickets you've been offered or you don't get any tickets at all.

troyzer wrote: »
    You have to take all of the tickets you've been offered or you don't get any tickets at all.

On the t and cs says ''You must purchase all tickets that you have successfully applied for through a ballot.'' Makes it seem like you have to purchase all of them regardless, even if you don't want any say?

• Advertisement

On the t and cs says ''You must purchase all tickets that you have successfully applied for through a ballot.'' Makes it seem like you have to purchase all of them regardless, even if you don't want any say?

I only saw it when doing the actual application. Seemed a bit unclear before that

No you can decline them. It'll say it when/if you're offered tickets.

It'll say something like "You have until X to make a payment or the tickets will be relinquished".

I've bought tickets already on previous ballots.

It'll say something like "You have until X to make a payment or the tickets will be relinquished".

Ah that would make more sense. Was that for this rwc?

Ah that would make more sense. Was that for this rwc?

Yes. On the supporters club ballot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,899 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

Basically if you looked for 5 tickets to each of three matches (i.e. 15 total) you must buy all 15 or none at all

you cannot pick and choose and buy 3 to each game instead

Anyone have a rough idea of how many tickets have been sold for Ireland's pool games and possible qf and semi up to now? I know stadium and team packs were on sale earlier in the year so just curious what sorta chances there are of getting tickets in this ballot?

• Advertisement

Anyone have a rough idea of how many tickets have been sold for Ireland's pool games and possible qf and semi up to now? I know stadium and team packs were on sale earlier in the year so just curious what sorta chances there are of getting tickets in this ballot?

There's a colour coded availability next to each fixture in the website.

Chances are poor.

There's a colour coded availability next to each fixture in the website.

Chances are poor.

Spotted that, thought it was more estimation of demand but sane thing I guess. Picked cascading option and MasterCard and there's a few of us entered but wouldn't be too confident. Know there's a general sale in January but could be all gone by then I guess

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

Round 2 of the repechage tournament is tomorrow
    Both sides who won and who lost in round 1 are facing off.
    Hong Kong and Kenya play in the curtain raiser and winner needs to win to keep hopes of a world cup spot then Canada take on Germany
    Games at 12pm/3pm

Round 2 of the repechage tournament is tomorrow
    Both sides who won and who lost in round 1 are facing off.
    Hong Kong and Kenya play in the curtain raiser and winner needs to win to keep hopes of a world cup spot then Canada take on Germany
    Games at 12pm/3pm

I imagine world rugby is hoping Germany gets in.

Might drive up interest in a huge, wealthy market.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭finbarrk

• Advertisement

Spotted that, thought it was more estimation of demand but sane thing I guess. Picked cascading option and MasterCard and there's a few of us entered but wouldn't be too confident. Know there's a general sale in January but could be all gone by then I guess

When did they say we would be notified about the ballot results?

finbarrk wrote: »

When did they say we would be notified about the ballot results?

Monday.

I might have a world cup semi final ticket going and on Monday, I might have a final ticket as well.

Heading to Japan with the girlfriend but she doesn't have much interest in the rugby, I sort of regret paying for two tickets. I'll probably try and shift my spare.

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭The Caveman

I might have a world cup semi final ticket going and on Monday, I might have a final ticket as well.

Heading to Japan with the girlfriend but she doesn't have much interest in the rugby, I sort of regret paying for two tickets. I'll probably try and shift my spare.

You have lots of time to change her for a new girlfriend :-)

You have lots of time to change her for a new girlfriend :-)

Eight years now, I'm too far in.

I don't mind though, those tickets were really expensive. I'd rather they want to a fan and I could make my money back.

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭The Caveman

On the official site there is an option to sell the tickets back to RWC closer to the time, so you will not be out of pocket.

On the official site there is an option to sell the tickets back to RWC closer to the time, so you will not be out of pocket.

I know, it's no risk really. But obviously I'd rather be standing next to someone in green if at all possible.

It's way too early to be talking about this I suppose, I want to find out if I have tickets to the final yet first.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 wexfordhun

I know, it's no risk really. But obviously I'd rather be standing next to someone in green if at all possible.

It's way too early to be talking about this I suppose, I want to find out if I have tickets to the final yet first.

If mine is anything to go by, she will change here mind a dozen times between now and then. Then you will sell it and thats when she decides she 100% wants to go!

wexfordhun wrote: »
    If mine is anything to go by, she will change here mind a dozen times between now and then. Then you will sell it and thats when she decides she 100% wants to go!

Fair point.

But she really does have zero interest in it. I'm waiting until the week of the match anyway because I'll probably sell both of them if Ireland don't get there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,721 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

RTÉ will be showing the 2019 RWC as Eir and RTE have just made an agreement fo all games will be FTA

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,803 ✭✭✭lertsnim

RTÉ will be showing the 2019 RWC as Eir and RTE have just made an agreement fo all games will be FTA

Not all games will be FTA.

RTÉ Sport will televise 14 live matches from Rugby World Cup 2019, including all of Ireland’s matches, the knockout stages and a daily highlights show.

I won't complain about that as the games will be free and HD.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Raisins wrote: »
    We’ll have to suffer that arrogant weasel Daire O’ Brien for the whole World Cup interrupting anyone around him that knows anything about the sport.

Go easy.

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭Raisins

Go easy.

That was too harsh. His constant interruptions, non - sequiturs and feigned pally lads banter wrecks my head. Joe Molloy, Sinead Kissane, Darragh Moloney are way ahead of him.

Anyways, anyone book flights in the past week?

That was too harsh. His constant interruptions, non - sequiturs and feigned pally lads banter wrecks my head. Joe Molloy, Sinead Kissane, Darragh Moloney are way ahead of him.

Most of the flights for my dates won't be out until early December. Some are available now but my cousin (owns a travel agency) said I'd be best off waiting.

I booked mine about a month ago. But I'm just going for the opening weekend. I might book for the final also, if I'm lucky in the ballot.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,938 ✭✭✭C0N0R

Fair point.

But she really does have zero interest in it. I'm waiting until the week of the match anyway because I'll probably sell both of them if Ireland don't get there.

Going to throw my hand up here and say I might be interested if/when you know anymore!

C0N0R wrote: »
    Fair point.

Going to throw my hand up here and say I might be interested if/when you know anymore!

Well like I said, it would be easier to get rid of two than one. So in reality it'll probably go to someone who's already there because I'm going to want to shift mine as well if Ireland don't qualify for the semi final.

Well like I said, it would be easier to get rid of two than one. So in reality it'll probably go to someone who's already there because I'm going to want to shift mine as well if Ireland don't qualify for the semi final.

Would you be looking to head out after the qf if they win it? Dunno what way the flights would be at that stage

Would you be looking to head out after the qf if they win it? Dunno what way the flights would be at that stage

So me and the girlfriend are heading out anyway, we've wanted to see Japan for years so it's going to be less of a piss up with the lads on tour and more of a two week holiday with rugby in the middle.

We're heading out a few days before the semi final Ireland should be in the bracket for (assuming they get there) and coming back a few days after the final. I haven't got final tickets yet (I'll know on Monday) but I do have semi final tickets.

So we're going to Japan anyway but we'll know a few days before we go if Ireland are going to be in the semi final or not. They could potentially come second in the group which would put them on the other side of the bracket or they could lose a quarter. In that case, I'll shift both of them. Mostly because they were really, really, really expensive and I couldn't justify spending that kind of money to watch South Africa Vs England. Not when I could quite easily find a willing buyer for two tickets and then have a nice wedge in my back pocket to go mental in Japan.

However, my girlfriend isn't really fussed so if Ireland do get to the semi final (and final if a) I get tickets and b) Ireland get to the final) I'll probably be looking for a paddy over there to sell the other ticket to. Me and the girlfriend have booked a hotel literally across the road from the stadium so she's happy enough to have a bit of a spa day while I'm at the match.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭dublin99

Not a rugby fan but a regular traveller to Japan.
    Just saw Cathay Pacific is having Black Friday sale.
    Econ (saver Q class) Dublin - Japan is about €680 till end of September including 30 September on days when there are direct DUB-HKG flights (M, W, Th, Sat) Premium econ is about €1100. Fares are determined by departure date and go up by 250 plus on 1 October.
    Its easy connection in HKG and open jaw is allowed (say return from Osaka, Nagoya, Fukuoka, Sapporo or Okinawa). Use multi- city function to search. For those who want to tag on a beach holiday Okinawa has great weather in October and you can get a cheap one way on a LCC to get there.
    I would not recommend the departures from Cork, Shannon etc as they connect in London and HKG but the LHR-HKG flights are likely to be the reconfigured Boeing 777 with 3-4-3 rather than the 3-3-3 seating. The Dublin Hkg flights use the new A350s!
    Expertflyer is useful to get information on seat availability.
    Hope this info is of use to some fans!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭lufties

dublin99 wrote: »
    Econ (saver Q class) Dublin - Japan is about €680 till end of September including 30 September on days when there are direct DUB-HKG flights (M, W, Th, Sat) Premium econ is about €1100. Fares are determined by departure date and go up by 250 plus on 1 October.
    Its easy connection in HKG and open jaw is allowed (say return from Osaka, Nagoya, Fukuoka, Sapporo or Okinawa). Use multi- city function to search. For those who want to tag on a beach holiday Okinawa has great weather in October and you can get a cheap one way on a LCC to get there.
    I would not recommend the departures from Cork, Shannon etc as they connect in London and HKG but the LHR-HKG flights are likely to be the reconfigured Boeing 777 with 3-4-3 rather than the 3-3-3 seating. The Dublin Hkg flights use the new A350s!

Having lived in HKG, I agree Dub-HKG is much better than via LHR. The CX 777s are old and shoddy imo. Go for the A350 would be my advice.

That's fine if you live close to Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Flew Hong Kong to Dublin a few weeks ago on Cathay. Best long distance flight I've ever been on, by a distance.

Admittedly, it was helped by the flight being about 70% empty and everyone getting 3-4 seats to lie down on and sleep. But the entertainment system, the food and the service was all top class. I'd happily go with them again next time I'm going to Asia.

It's showing at about €950 return for the weekend of the Final with Cathay Pacific from Dublin.

You sexy bastard. Just got my return flights for €640

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭dublin99

finbarrk wrote: »
    It's showing at about €950 return for the weekend of the Final with Cathay Pacific from Dublin.

If you select dates with direct Dublin flights eg 21 October out, return on 5 Nov (connects to direct HKG-Dublin flight early morning 6 Nov) it's still €639 return.
    This is the supersaver O class fare so it wont get cheaper. Use Cathay's own website check dates/fare combination. If there is a choice between Narita or Haneda (both in Tokyo), Haneda is much closer to the city and cheaper to get in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

Canada beat Hong Kong 27-10 to qualify for Pool B with New Zealand, South Africa, Italy and Namibia

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭Raisins

dublin99 wrote: »

Thanks for that info dub!

Having flown with them is the premium econ worth the 1,100 on cathay? Few of the lads are pretty tall but it’s double the cost.

Was looking at the Dub to HK flight myself. Also seen a decent flight which was Dub to Helsinki and then Helsinki to Osaka and second flight was only 9 hours.

Anyone here waiting on ballot results tomorrow? Fingers crossed!

Was looking at the Dub to HK flight myself. Also seen a decent flight which was Dub to Helsinki and then Helsinki to Osaka and second flight was only 9 hours.

Anyone here waiting on ballot results tomorrow? Fingers crossed!

Sort of quietly terrified I'll win final tickets but at a higher pricing level than I'm comfortable with.

• Advertisement
Advertisement