Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

France Ferry & Campsite info (use Search function) mod warning post 1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭Heroditas

Funnily enough, I was also looking earlier and saw that the same accommodation in the same campsite we were in this year for the same length of time but two weeks later into July was €500 cheaper than what we paid for this year!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭BlazingSaddler

Some change of Marketing by Eurocamp, now the mobiles are Comfort, Premium and Ultimate apparently!

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,014 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

I guess it depends where you book. We got ours (3 bed Comfort Plus with air con) for 1800 for ten nights in July 24. Taking in Bastille Day this year which should be fun 😊

• Registered Users Posts: 3,520 ✭✭✭paddylonglegs

that is a serious hike

We got a deal which they run in October, it’s was 20% off. maybe wait until you see a sale coming up , but we weren’t too pushed on where we went at the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Gwento

Being searching for July 2024 various sites in the Palmyre area with mobiles available on siblu sites through Air B&B 3 weeks in bonne Anse plage 1059 euro, les Charmettes 1254 euro all with AC now i know you will still need to purchase a pool pass but still... anyone went down the Air B&B or booking.com route

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,651 ✭✭✭10-10-20

Yes, did it in 2022 in Les Charmettes and got a grand mobile off a French lady. What's the specific question that you have?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭webpal

Try https://www.directholidayhomes.co.uk/ also, have gone with them a few times. You may get free adult passes but will definitely get 20% off passes.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,863 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Does the campsite themselves rent cabins (or family tents if that's what you're after)? It could work out a lot cheaper than going with Eurocamp or Canvas.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Gwento

Yeah no questions i suppose there's no difference really dealing direct with the owners than with siblu and save near on a thousand euros.

We just returned from les Charmettes a nice site the grounds are well maintained and lots of security but it's an enormous site the pool area is too small to accommodate the 1500 mobiles on the site it is so busy the water really never looked clean not once did i see anyone do any testing of the water while we there.

La Palmyre to Royan area is so beautiful the cycle paths to the beach's are very safe for young and old and were a factor in why i booked bonne Anse plage which is near the beach for July next year 21 nights on booking.com

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭airy fairy

Can anyone recommend any campsite along the Normandy coast and heading east? It's been years since we went that way.

Vendée this year, we have a dog and felt the few hot days, 30+ was just too hot. That aside, after 15+ years of holidaying there, it was only this year did we realise dogs are unwanted on beaches during peak season, having young teens,it was a balancing act this year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,772 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

I’ve booked La Vallee in Normandy for next year. Like yourself I’ve headed Brittany/ Vendee neck of the woods but decided on the above for WW2 beaches etc/ Bayeaux and into the Calvados region.

Was looking originally on doing the Bilbao route but have now booked both 14 days on site plus ferry for less than what the Spanish crossing was costing on its own.

From my recollection, the landing beaches and all the history is beautiful (if that's the right word). I remember us staying near Caen and travelling miles every day. Had a caravan then, too old for it now! Must look up those areas you've named.

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭Aidan Harney

Optional day out, non war related, is festyland or parc festyland, in the outskirts of Caen.

An amusement park with a range of rides from baby/toddler range through roller coaster up to 'liable to throw up'..

About the size of Tayto/emerald Park, 20 euro in and all free thereafter.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 lyndak16

Heading to La Sirene in a few weeks. Has anyone been at the start of Sept? Is the town dead or still quite lively?

1. Are they strict with the tight swimwear for boys?

2. Will we get away without having a car? I see they have a beach bus shuttle and the land train but they only mention times for July and August. We intend to hire bikes.

3. Is it very casual at night-time dress wise? Trying to figure out what to pack as we have never done a camping holiday before and want to be prepared.

Any other tips also welcome.

Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,610 ✭✭✭talla

Stayed in La Vallee a couple of years ago doing the Normandy beaches.

I wouldn't recommend it, only site in France that I'd never go back to.

Site was a bit rundown and didn't like some of the clientel staying there.

I'd recommend Les Ormes for Normandy beaches visit, only just over 1.5 hours drive to beaches, we did the other sites that we never got around to on our first visit when staying in Les Ormes.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,651 ✭✭✭10-10-20

Never there in Sept but I'd expect it to be relatively quiet as all of the kids will be back to school, etc. Don't know what crowd age will be there at that time. The town of Argeles sur Mer is seasonal, so many of the shops might be closed. But there is a busy port there, so you'll find places for food alright.

Swimwear wasn't an issue last year, 2022, has it changed since?

Without a car, yes you'll be fine. Bikes are great for getting around. I do think that the train/shuttle is high-season only though, but never-the-less, the beach is only a 7 min cycle from the gate.

Pretty casual alright, bring long pants and a jumper anyway as the nighttime temps will be dropping.

Drop into the guys in Blue Bear where you rent the bikes, see what activities they offer in Sept, we have done the sea kayaking as a family twice with them. The electric bike rides around Collioure are good too. They provide transport.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 lyndak16

Brilliant thanks for all the info!

I heard some campsites are strict with the speedo style swimwear so didnt know if this one was too.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,014 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

I had heard that too and brought them as an 'in case' but didn't even take them out of the suitcase😅

• Registered Users Posts: 7,772 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

Did Les Ormes last year with the grandkids. Myself and the wife just looking for a change of scenery and will use it as a base for touring around.

They don't have to be the micro-tiny Speedos. Tight shorts are also acceptable, a la trunks.

Dunno why people object so much to having to wear them.

Neither of the camps we were in last year said anything about people wearing Bermudas but Des Menhirs cracked down on it in the second week we were there this year because it was coming into high season.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭Baybay

Water is scarce enough this year in the south of France. Restrictions in place for car washing, watering gardens, filling private pools, in some cases in relation to building work etc. Some villages particularly affected but homes in general, not yet though rain is badly needed. Some golf courses are buying in water in tankers so perhaps some campsites are also. Bulkier swim shorts absorb a surprising amount of water which when times-ed by those wearing them, can result in quite a drop in levels.

I'd recommend getting the tight trunk shorts for swimming. An investment for future campsite visits as nearly all require them...you can get them for a few euro on Shein.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,261 ✭✭✭jfh

is there much difference between booking La Garangeoire directly or through eurocamp? for someone that has been there , eurocamp is open for booking but the campsite itself is not .thanks

Not sure but the Eurocamp mobile homes seem to be a bit better quality than the campsite's own ones, although there are a few very nice campsite ones but they cost an awful lot more.

The main advantage with going through Eurocamp is access to the kids clubs which are brilliant there.

Campsite is gorgeous but some pitches can get quite waterlogged if it rains a bit.

We loved it but wouldn't go back. Too remote for our liking and we always feel it's nice to get away from the Irish accents for a couple of weeks. It must have been 80-90% Irish people when we were there last July. Not doubting that that in itself will appeal to a lot of people though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭BlazingSaddler

Same here unfortunately, but we went out of season (Easter) but did find it good for the WW2 sightseeing. The campsite itself was the worst I’d been to.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

I’ve been wearing tight Speedos for 7 years of France trips cause my wife told me I had to wear them. Never occurred to me that I could get away with not wearing them. I’d love to think my wife wants to see me in speedos but I can’t imagine anybody wants thst.

Is the Speedo’s requirement even a thing?

It is a thing but it depends on the camp enforcing it. We stayed at La Croix Du Vieux Pont in July for a week and I wore shorts every day in the pool, nobody said a thing to me. Going back again next year for 10 days, kids absolutely loved it.

It's the law in France. It's just not always enforced.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,711 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

Just for clarity... If you don't wear them, are you planning on wearing an alternative or just going in the buff?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

I just pictured an over zealous French cop enforcing the law

I hadn’t considered that, but to be fair I wouldn’t want to subject other people to that.

Advertisement