Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Valentia

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 760 ✭✭✭hbr

Sad news indeed. A great photographer who was always willing to share his considerable talent.

My thoughts are with his family and friends.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

Only just getting this sad news now.

What a terrible loss. I am gutted.

Cannot say more than has been said already.

The second truly great Irish Photographer we have lost in the last couple of weeks.

Farewell Danny. You will be forever missed.

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭LifesgoodwithLG

Rest in Peace Danny you were a Giant of a man with a very warm smile. You will be sadly missed. Laura

• Registered Users Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

Like many people on here I never met Danny in real life, but again like many people I always looked forward to seeing any and all shots he took, and posted. His stuff is inspirational. His landscapes are amazing, but this has always been my fave shot: http://pix.ie/valentia/1183602/size/800

My thoughts are with everyone who is mourning him.

Zo

• Registered Users Posts: 2,368 ✭✭✭Fionn

Sad news indeed. :(

thanks for the advice, the inspiration, the wonderful photography, the friendship, the songs, the laughter and the craic!

dannyobrien.jpg

Sincere Sympathy and Condolences to Danny’s Family and Friends

Slán Abhaile Danny

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,569 ✭✭✭✭Tallon

Oh my god, that is such sad news. My deepest condolences go out to his family and friends.

His photos will always be remembered here

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

very sad news. my condolences to his family. his work and posts here were highly influential on my pursuit to study photography as a degree. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 709 ✭✭✭Dimy

R.I.P. Danny, one of the nicest guys on this forum and a wonderful photographer. I have fond memories of the Trim boardsie meeting and you were an excellent guide as well as tutor on the photography side and a great representative for Trim.

My heart was/is filled with sadness when I read this news today.

-Dimitry

• Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭SinisterDexter

Glad but then saddened to have met him at the weekend, and looking at his website reminds me that I can do better and that he had the eye for the 'different shot'.
    A quote from his website: "You are very welcome to my little corner of the internet. I set this blog up to simply keep a record of my photography on public view. I hope it survives long after I am gone."
    Unfortunately it will survive after you are gone and so will our memories.
    RIP. My thought are with his family and friends.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭trooney

Have only ever been awestruck at some of the work this man produced. I hope this legacy will last a long, long time. I'd never had the pleasure to meet Danny in person but am awfully saddened by this... Thoughts out to all of his family and friends.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,368 ✭✭✭Covey

Oh god I can't believe this. Had arranged to meet him on Saturday. My sincere condolences to his family.

Danny was not just a great photographer but a tremendous person in every sense. Right now I'm very sad and in total shock. I'll come back though with a proper more fitting rememberance in time.

The last message I got from him was "are ye coming to Trim on Saturday" . I am Danny but Trim will never be the same again.

Sleep well.

T.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭leinsterman

The funeral is Friday morning at 11am in the Church of St Patrick's in Trim for those who can make it ...

• Registered Users Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

I'm still shocked with this.

Danny was a great man, a good friend and someone I admired. An absolute character, and someone who made time for everyone. He'll be sorely missed.

1265149044_fba7cec97f_b.jpg

2355289397_d64bbf1424.jpg

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Just saw aload of stuff on Twitter but cou;ldn't see who it was in relation to so checked here to see if I could figure out what the story was....I'm absolutely shocked :(

I never met Dannie but he seemed like a sound lad from his posts on boards and his tweets, very very sad news may he rest in peace :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭jpb1974

That's really terrible news.

Whilst I don't post here much and didn't know the man I could see from his contributions on the forum that he was very well respected by many members.

Farewell Sir, my condolences go out to your family.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,155 ✭✭✭PopeBuckfastXVI

This is shocking, I'm so terribly terribly sorry.

Condolences to the family, and all of us.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,424 ✭✭✭bernard0368

I never met the man but his photographs were an inspiration.

Rest In Peace and condolances to his family.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

I never met him either but I loved his photos.

Condolences.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Dodgykeeper

Deepest Condolences to Valentias Family and Friends on their sad loss, I hope they read this thread and see how respected he was and somehow that helps them get through this difficult time.

R.I.P.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭peter1892

Very sad news indeed. I didn't know him personally but knew his excellent work.

From reading the heartfelt & genuine outpouring of sadness on here it's clear that he had many friends & admirers on this forum, and will be missed. Condolences to his family and friends. R.I.P.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 290 ✭✭weepee

I didnt know Valentia, but as a fellow member of 'boards',my condolences to his family.
    RIP.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,657 ✭✭✭magnumlady

Very sad. R.I.P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭K_user

I don't know what to say...

My sincere condolences go out to his family and may he rest in peace.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭joolsveer

Like a lot of others here I never had the pleasure of meeting Danny but online I considered him a friend and always found him really supportive. My condolences to his family and friends.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 2,283 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chorcai

My deepest condolences go out to his family and friends.I never got the chance to meet Danny sadly. He will be missed that's for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭SusieQue

Covey wrote: »

The last message I got from him was "are ye coming to Trim on Saturday" . I am Danny but Trim will never be the same again.

Sleep well.

T.

This made me cry.. again!! Danny just lives around the corner from me & I pass his house every day.. sometimes I actually call in. Trim will never be the same again is right!

• Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭Omnipresence

Never met the guy but my father is from Valentia Island and I practically grew up there - his pictures of the place and people I know captured the place better than anyone...

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭SusieQue

Danny O'Brien... You are the reason I have taken that next step into the world of photography! Your work is so inspirational. You saw something in me & encouraged me to take it further! Thanks to your advice, i purchased my first SLR, thanks to the loan of your books, I learned a bit along the way, thanks to the loan of your lenses, I managed to snap a few half decent shots, thanks to you being my neighbour, we even managed a few photowalks together. I can't believe we spent the weekend with you at the Balloon festival & now you are gone! Thats so wrong. I love you and miss you, you legend! A true gent, a great family man. The mere mention of your name will always bring a smile to anyone who had the pleasure of knowing you. I'm so so sad since I heard the news yesterday evening. I cannot begin to imagine what poor Phil, Donall & Kate are going through. Its just so wrong. Trim will not be the same without you Danny. Elder Grove just won't be the same without you. RIP my friend. I miss you so much x

Looking pleased with himself, taken last Sunday with Denis
    658F76523AC244588F417B53E631AB86-800.jpg

Showing his usual easy going pleasant manner
    6DD436EC945A4D13A47352F0F88D9295.jpg

And another one, with a bit of humour.. He said only last saturday, that he'd get me back for this one. He tooka few sneaky shots of me alright! Hope I get to see them :)
    D6CC18AC09B942918B93082B91DEE690.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 13,578 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,699 ✭✭✭Brian

Very sad news. RIP and strength to his family.

Advertisement