Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Valentia

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭pixbyjohn

R.I.P. Valentia

• Registered Users Posts: 6,321 ✭✭✭Jackobyte

RIP Valentia.

I only knew him through boards but he came across as both a lovely man and a talented photographer. My condolences to his family and friends. He will be missed terribly in this forum by all.

RIP Danny.

• Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭Nisio

He was a great photographer; his work always amazed. My thoughts are with his family.

Oisin

• Registered Users Posts: 3,385 ✭✭✭Jemmy

Only met Danny once recently on a photowalk in Trim, total gent. Such a lovely man, very sad news.
    My thoughts are with his family.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭soccerc

Shocked and saddened.

Danny made me see the positive aspects following my heart attack last October and we shared some black humour surrounding cardiac problems.

May he Rest In Peace

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Ar dheis Dé go raibh a anam.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭ThOnda

9A8613D1E1CE4F5D9A6922E79C504B86-800.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 14,970 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

It's always terrible news when the world looses a decent soul. I think I may have met him briefly at the launch of the book. While I may not have known him I have read his posts over the years and he always came across as a polite, respectful pleasant person. I didn't know he had been ill so it's a little shocking to know another regular poster is gone. Rest in peace sir.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,763 ✭✭✭Fenster

20100407215658_098.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭xia

4142674530_9b231df486.jpg

The only occasion I had the pleasure of meeting him in "real life". On the book launch last year (and this was always my favourite picture of that night).

We only briefly talked but there was something about him that made me feel some sort of connection you sometimes feel with people you just met. So I have a slight idea how people who knew him better feel like at the moment.

My thoughts are with his family and friends.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭sheesh

Thats very sad. I love his stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭Slidinginfinity

I only met Danny once, at the Trim photowalk.
    He was the first to give up his ticket for the castle tour, so other could go.
    He was quick with a smile or a bit of warm advice.
    His passing is a loss to us all.

Rest In Peace, Danny

• Registered Users Posts: 13,589 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

deeply shocked - possibly more than anyone here he encouragerd me to keep going - always backing me up whenever I had the hump - always promising to meet up at an exhibition - 2 weeks ago I was shooting the breeze with a mate of his - I was thrilled to see him recover and always wanted to meet the man himself - but never to be - even yesterday he commented on one of my photos - quite apt

http://pix.ie/thebaz/1123413

A genuinely good man here

Danny R.I.P.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 4,948 ✭✭✭pullandbang

I've known Danny for 25 years. I'm still in shock after hearing the news. He was an inspiration to a lot of people including myself. Words just fail me at the moment.......

I did have the pleasure of spending a few hours with Danny last Sunday at the Balloon Fiesta in Trim. Generous to a fault, Danny swapped lenses with me for the day to let me try his 100-400. He took my 70-200 and used it. My last shot of him, taken on Sunday as he photographed the kids in the egg hunt.

5787519118D947B39DF2D56CF2AC6EE2.jpg

May he rest in peace and may his memories live on forever. Sadly missed by those who knew him.

• Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭aidan18

Shocked too Dennis, only meet the man once in Trim in February RIP

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭IamBlip

When I first saw the award winning "Conflict" photo of the Gannets I was totally blown away and followed his work on here and Pix.ie ever since.

Even though I never met the guy or talked to him personally, from all accounts on here I do believe he was an absolute gent, that did share his time, knowledge and craic with those in his company and I'm really saddened hes gone, he will be missed deeply.

Formely Blip on boards, long time photography lurker.......I gonna try change that now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭Marcus

I just can't believe this. I spoke with Danny on the phone just the other day.

Danny, I will miss you, Pixie will miss you and the thousands of people who enjoyed your unique perspective and viewed your photos over and over again will miss you.

RIP my good friend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭joeKel73

I just got Th0nda's Flickr update which led me here. This is the first time I've ever been truly shocked and saddened by an online thread.

The only time I came across Danny in "real life" and the first time I came across his work was when we were both shortlisted for the esb environmental photography awards back 6 years ago, before my boards.ie days . I later stumbled across his portfolio online and I can say he was the single most inspirational photographer that got me properly into photography. His wildlife shots are incredible. He took exactly the photos that I wanted to take! "[Flickr] New items from Danny O'Brien" emails never went unread.
    stabo wrote: »
    He is the reason i want to go to Skellig islands this year.
    ^ same here.

R.I.P. Danny.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,967 ✭✭✭mrmac

I read the OP, and my stomach knotted up! Amazing how someone you've never met, can inspire and affect you so much. A sad day.

No dis-respect to anyone on here, but this shot of his, is in my all time top 10 - it's saved in my favourites as I keep coming back to stare at it.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,257 Mod ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

Thats terrible sad news, what a loss of a gent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭stcstc

i only met danny once, but as everyone has said,

what a gent

rip

• Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭leinsterman

It's been a while since I even looked in this forum ... but it seems fitting to post my condolences here since this is where I first met a great friend whom I will miss very much ...

It is such a shock ... Tommy and I had only just made arrangements to go see him in Trim this coming Saturday.

My thoughts are with his dear wife Phil and two children Kate and Donall at this time.

Gone but not forgotten, so many great memories!

520443315_ddce07bd37.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭artyeva

shocking news. only met him once but he was a talent and a gent and he'llk be missed.

my thoughts are with his family and friends.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭PCPhoto

only just noticed the thread ... sad to hear the news

R.I.P. Danny/Valentia

Another soul wanders amongst us - an inspirational light amongst the darkness for so many online and offline.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Shocked at this news. I only met Danny a couple of times but I remember them all vividly. He was a gentleman with a wonderful sense of humour and fun and one of the most talented photographers I have known.

RIP.

1233531641_e97733aaf2.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 6,424 ✭✭✭440Hz

Very very sad news. One of my strongest memories of Danny was the wonderful tribute he paid his father when he died in 2006. He posted a most wonderful portrait on Flickr and I remember being so moved by the words he used to honour his father, I remember thinking that Danny must truly be a wonderful person to pay such a moving and honourable tribute... I wish I knew him better to attempt to say something more fitting for him, but I am sure there will be many people who will honour him in the way he deserves.

Danny, May you truly rest in peace.

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭WheresMyCamera?

I unfortunately never had the pleasure of meeting Danny in real life. He was one of the photographers on here that I would get genuinely excited about when I seen he'd posted a new photo. I was so happy to see him posting photos again here in recent weeks. Like everyone above and all who followed his online galleries I will miss not having that feeling again.

My sincere condolences for his family and friends.

RIP Danny

• Registered Users Posts: 13,589 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

440Hz wrote: »
    Very very sad news. One of my strongest memories of Danny was the wonderful tribute he paid his father when he died in 2006. He posted a most wonderful portrait on Flickr and I remember being so moved by the words he used to honour his father,

i remember that - i had just started using boards and flickr - a year later he produced that photograph that i and many more will remember ...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,852 ✭✭✭Hugh_C

Never met Danny in the flesh but the world will be a poorer place without him. R.I.P. Valentia.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,432 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

It was from meeting such a welcoming and natural guy that it took so much of the mystery and fear of stepping forward to show one's own stuff possible.

Thanks Danny.

Advertisement