Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Valentia

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭stcstc

i only met danny once, but as everyone has said,

what a gent

rip

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭leinsterman

It's been a while since I even looked in this forum ... but it seems fitting to post my condolences here since this is where I first met a great friend whom I will miss very much ...

It is such a shock ... Tommy and I had only just made arrangements to go see him in Trim this coming Saturday.

My thoughts are with his dear wife Phil and two children Kate and Donall at this time.

Gone but not forgotten, so many great memories!

520443315_ddce07bd37.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭artyeva

shocking news. only met him once but he was a talent and a gent and he'llk be missed.

my thoughts are with his family and friends.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭PCPhoto

only just noticed the thread ... sad to hear the news

R.I.P. Danny/Valentia

Another soul wanders amongst us - an inspirational light amongst the darkness for so many online and offline.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Shocked at this news. I only met Danny a couple of times but I remember them all vividly. He was a gentleman with a wonderful sense of humour and fun and one of the most talented photographers I have known.

RIP.

1233531641_e97733aaf2.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,424 ✭✭✭440Hz

Very very sad news. One of my strongest memories of Danny was the wonderful tribute he paid his father when he died in 2006. He posted a most wonderful portrait on Flickr and I remember being so moved by the words he used to honour his father, I remember thinking that Danny must truly be a wonderful person to pay such a moving and honourable tribute... I wish I knew him better to attempt to say something more fitting for him, but I am sure there will be many people who will honour him in the way he deserves.

Danny, May you truly rest in peace.

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭WheresMyCamera?

I unfortunately never had the pleasure of meeting Danny in real life. He was one of the photographers on here that I would get genuinely excited about when I seen he'd posted a new photo. I was so happy to see him posting photos again here in recent weeks. Like everyone above and all who followed his online galleries I will miss not having that feeling again.

My sincere condolences for his family and friends.

RIP Danny

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,713 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

440Hz wrote: »
    Very very sad news. One of my strongest memories of Danny was the wonderful tribute he paid his father when he died in 2006. He posted a most wonderful portrait on Flickr and I remember being so moved by the words he used to honour his father,

i remember that - i had just started using boards and flickr - a year later he produced that photograph that i and many more will remember ...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,852 ✭✭✭Hugh_C

Never met Danny in the flesh but the world will be a poorer place without him. R.I.P. Valentia.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,580 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

It was from meeting such a welcoming and natural guy that it took so much of the mystery and fear of stepping forward to show one's own stuff possible.

Thanks Danny.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 760 ✭✭✭hbr

Sad news indeed. A great photographer who was always willing to share his considerable talent.

My thoughts are with his family and friends.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

Only just getting this sad news now.

What a terrible loss. I am gutted.

Cannot say more than has been said already.

The second truly great Irish Photographer we have lost in the last couple of weeks.

Farewell Danny. You will be forever missed.

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭LifesgoodwithLG

Rest in Peace Danny you were a Giant of a man with a very warm smile. You will be sadly missed. Laura

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

Like many people on here I never met Danny in real life, but again like many people I always looked forward to seeing any and all shots he took, and posted. His stuff is inspirational. His landscapes are amazing, but this has always been my fave shot: http://pix.ie/valentia/1183602/size/800

My thoughts are with everyone who is mourning him.

Zo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,369 ✭✭✭Fionn

Sad news indeed. :(

thanks for the advice, the inspiration, the wonderful photography, the friendship, the songs, the laughter and the craic!

dannyobrien.jpg

Sincere Sympathy and Condolences to Danny’s Family and Friends

Slán Abhaile Danny

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,565 ✭✭✭✭Tallon

Oh my god, that is such sad news. My deepest condolences go out to his family and friends.

His photos will always be remembered here

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

very sad news. my condolences to his family. his work and posts here were highly influential on my pursuit to study photography as a degree. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 709 ✭✭✭Dimy

R.I.P. Danny, one of the nicest guys on this forum and a wonderful photographer. I have fond memories of the Trim boardsie meeting and you were an excellent guide as well as tutor on the photography side and a great representative for Trim.

My heart was/is filled with sadness when I read this news today.

-Dimitry

• Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭SinisterDexter

Glad but then saddened to have met him at the weekend, and looking at his website reminds me that I can do better and that he had the eye for the 'different shot'.
    A quote from his website: "You are very welcome to my little corner of the internet. I set this blog up to simply keep a record of my photography on public view. I hope it survives long after I am gone."
    Unfortunately it will survive after you are gone and so will our memories.
    RIP. My thought are with his family and friends.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭trooney

Have only ever been awestruck at some of the work this man produced. I hope this legacy will last a long, long time. I'd never had the pleasure to meet Danny in person but am awfully saddened by this... Thoughts out to all of his family and friends.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,368 ✭✭✭Covey

Oh god I can't believe this. Had arranged to meet him on Saturday. My sincere condolences to his family.

Danny was not just a great photographer but a tremendous person in every sense. Right now I'm very sad and in total shock. I'll come back though with a proper more fitting rememberance in time.

The last message I got from him was "are ye coming to Trim on Saturday" . I am Danny but Trim will never be the same again.

Sleep well.

T.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭leinsterman

The funeral is Friday morning at 11am in the Church of St Patrick's in Trim for those who can make it ...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

I'm still shocked with this.

Danny was a great man, a good friend and someone I admired. An absolute character, and someone who made time for everyone. He'll be sorely missed.

1265149044_fba7cec97f_b.jpg

2355289397_d64bbf1424.jpg

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,510 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Just saw aload of stuff on Twitter but cou;ldn't see who it was in relation to so checked here to see if I could figure out what the story was....I'm absolutely shocked :(

I never met Dannie but he seemed like a sound lad from his posts on boards and his tweets, very very sad news may he rest in peace :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,027 ✭✭✭jpb1974

That's really terrible news.

Whilst I don't post here much and didn't know the man I could see from his contributions on the forum that he was very well respected by many members.

Farewell Sir, my condolences go out to your family.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,155 ✭✭✭PopeBuckfastXVI

This is shocking, I'm so terribly terribly sorry.

Condolences to the family, and all of us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,424 ✭✭✭bernard0368

I never met the man but his photographs were an inspiration.

Rest In Peace and condolances to his family.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

I never met him either but I loved his photos.

Condolences.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Dodgykeeper

Deepest Condolences to Valentias Family and Friends on their sad loss, I hope they read this thread and see how respected he was and somehow that helps them get through this difficult time.

R.I.P.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭peter1892

Very sad news indeed. I didn't know him personally but knew his excellent work.

From reading the heartfelt & genuine outpouring of sadness on here it's clear that he had many friends & admirers on this forum, and will be missed. Condolences to his family and friends. R.I.P.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 290 ✭✭weepee

I didnt know Valentia, but as a fellow member of 'boards',my condolences to his family.
    RIP.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,659 ✭✭✭magnumlady

Very sad. R.I.P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭K_user

I don't know what to say...

My sincere condolences go out to his family and may he rest in peace.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭joolsveer

Like a lot of others here I never had the pleasure of meeting Danny but online I considered him a friend and always found him really supportive. My condolences to his family and friends.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Chorcai

My deepest condolences go out to his family and friends.I never got the chance to meet Danny sadly. He will be missed that's for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭SusieQue

Covey wrote: »

The last message I got from him was "are ye coming to Trim on Saturday" . I am Danny but Trim will never be the same again.

Sleep well.

T.

This made me cry.. again!! Danny just lives around the corner from me & I pass his house every day.. sometimes I actually call in. Trim will never be the same again is right!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 431 ✭✭Omnipresence

Never met the guy but my father is from Valentia Island and I practically grew up there - his pictures of the place and people I know captured the place better than anyone...

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭SusieQue

Danny O'Brien... You are the reason I have taken that next step into the world of photography! Your work is so inspirational. You saw something in me & encouraged me to take it further! Thanks to your advice, i purchased my first SLR, thanks to the loan of your books, I learned a bit along the way, thanks to the loan of your lenses, I managed to snap a few half decent shots, thanks to you being my neighbour, we even managed a few photowalks together. I can't believe we spent the weekend with you at the Balloon festival & now you are gone! Thats so wrong. I love you and miss you, you legend! A true gent, a great family man. The mere mention of your name will always bring a smile to anyone who had the pleasure of knowing you. I'm so so sad since I heard the news yesterday evening. I cannot begin to imagine what poor Phil, Donall & Kate are going through. Its just so wrong. Trim will not be the same without you Danny. Elder Grove just won't be the same without you. RIP my friend. I miss you so much x

Looking pleased with himself, taken last Sunday with Denis
    658F76523AC244588F417B53E631AB86-800.jpg

Showing his usual easy going pleasant manner
    6DD436EC945A4D13A47352F0F88D9295.jpg

And another one, with a bit of humour.. He said only last saturday, that he'd get me back for this one. He tooka few sneaky shots of me alright! Hope I get to see them :)
    D6CC18AC09B942918B93082B91DEE690.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,713 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,699 ✭✭✭Brian

Very sad news. RIP and strength to his family.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭kjt

I got an email this morning telling me about this terrible news. I always enjoyed looking through Danny’s shots. He was a great photographer and an inspiration within the Irish photography community. Sadly I never had the joy of meeting Danny in person but have spoken to him many times online. He always came across as a true gent, a man of great integrity and a kind soul.

As Fergus said earlier, I hope his family take the time to read through this and see what an impact Danny had on many of us!

Kyle Tunney

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,889 ✭✭✭Third_Echelon

When I heard this last night on Twitter I couldn't believe it. Genuinely a truly nice man and a great photographer.. Some of his pictures were just breath-taking. As someone else mentioned earlier in the thread, this picture in particular was one of my favourites: http://porchfield.com/2009/06/14/fields-on-blue/

I grew up in Trim and went to school with his son Donall (I was a few years ahead, but my cousin was in Donall's class). I briefly lived in Elder Grove with relatives when my family first moved to Trim so I knew Donall and Danny through playing football, hurling etc out on the old green in Elder Grove. Would have been around 1988/89 direction...

I hadn't spoken to Danny in person since that era and with going to college, moving away from home etc, it had been a long time, but i was delighted when i realised a few years ago when Valentia on boards was Danny. Always knew he was into photography (I think he did it professionally for a while), but when I actually saw his pictures via boards, flickr, pixie etc, it was then you realised his true talent. I always loved photography myself and bought an SLR a few years ago. Danny's pictures were always an inspiration and he always took time to comment or let you know how you could improve.

Always had good rugby conversations with Danny on Twitter regarding Leinster and Munster games... and he had a genuine love for the town of Trim through his work on the local council and it was nice to see Donall carrying on the family tradition :)

He was a great representative of Trim and genuinely he will be missed. RIP Danny. Your pictures will most definitely be around for a long time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 779 ✭✭✭DK32

Very sad hearing about the loss of Valentia yesterday. I had the pleasure of meeting Danny during the Trim photo walk. He made time for everyone that day, sharing his local knowledge of Trim and it's sights.
    Like many others, I admired his photography, I find his photo's from Valentia Island to be both beautiful & inspirational.
    My sincere condolences to his family during this most difficult time.

RIP Danny

Danny experimenting with his lensbaby during the Trim photowalk:
    6A5CDF8AD2D344E1AD08AB0EA5CC5A75-800.jpg

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 616 ✭✭✭pearljamfan

awful sad news, may he rest in peace, my heart goes out to his family and friends who will be missing him deeply.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭upmeath

I rarely post on the photography forum on boards but I regularly drop by just to have a gawk, and my first look at Danny's latest work was often experienced either here or at porchfield.com.
    A fantastic photographer, truly talented. He was gifted with an admirable eye for the world around him. His photography from the southwest coast is nothing short of breath-taking. Nobody has captured Trim like Danny did since the Normans came. Outstanding records of the castle, the town and its people. I remember him taking family portraits around the time of my first communion nearly twenty years ago. His legacy to many will no doubt be his many prints, which are and will always be synonymous with the town, people and culture of Trim. His presence and talents will be missed but not soon forgotten.
    My condolences to Phil, Dónall, Kate and extended family.
    RIP.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,281 ✭✭✭Ricky91t

After looking through a lot of his photos yesterday and Today, They've now opened up my eyes to the wonderful Islands off the cost of Kerry and I'll hopefully make a trip there this summer, So Thanks Danny.

For people who may not know him to well his flickr is here

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭Nforce

Condolences to his family and friends.

RIP Valentia.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,146 ✭✭✭Morrisseeee

I'm shocked, I never met the great man, but he was an inspiration to me starting off in photography and here on boards.ie........May you take many more great picture in Heaven my good man.........RIP.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,319 ✭✭✭sineadw

I just keep bursting into tears. I'll really miss him..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

Such terrible news. I'm still in learning mode but his contributions here made such an impression.

• Advertisement
Advertisement