Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Football Manager 2019

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭The Voice of reason

Anybody know how to reject one of the bids?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,959 ✭✭✭diusmr8a504cvk

Hi lads, I've never played football manager before and was thinking of getting into it once College ends in early May.

As someone who knows very little about the game, could anyone give a me a rundown on the whole thing?

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭Shaunoc

Pick a team, manage them. It really is as simple as it sounds...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,959 ✭✭✭diusmr8a504cvk

Shaunoc wrote: »
    Pick a team, manage them. It really is as simple as it sounds...
    I'll try Reddit for info instead

• Registered Users Posts: 7,724 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

Hi lads, I've never played football manager before and was thinking of getting into it once College ends in early May.

As someone who knows very little about the game, could anyone give a me a rundown on the whole thing?

You’re picking the right time to do it, very easy for it take over your life and a champions league semi final is much more important than a 9am exam

One thing I’ll say is don’t look up player abilities or potentials, its much better to be blind to what they actually are since you’ll only get indications from your coaches as opposed to Fifa which gives full ratings

In any case a lot of the ‘wonderkids’ will differ in potential from game to game anyway, young ones like Hudson Odoi for instance will have his potential generated randomly and he could end up a championship player in my save and an elite world class winger in your save

Some of the more developed players will have set potentials but will need gametime and other things to fully develop

For the first time we have tactics already in the game in FM19, before this you had to start from scratch for them. Gegenpress is fairly broken as a high press high tempo style is just effective as in real life atm

Its hard to go into too much else without actually having to play the game, I picked it up back at FM10 with no issues myself but it can look overwhelming at first with so much on your screen these days so its probably best to come back when you have specific questions rather than a broad outline of what to expect

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35,024 ✭✭✭✭Baggly

If you support a club, always a good bet to start managing them. Little bit more of an emotional investment.

Failing that, some of the bigger UK clubs are a good bet.

Maybe best to start off with just 2 or 3 leagues loaded (depending on your computer spec) and treating that first game as a way to learn the ropes.

They have introduxed in game tutorials this year, so you should be fine with the technical side of managing things if you do those.

Last bit of advice is that you can do as much as you want to do as a manager. Your assistant will ask you what you want to do and what you want him to do as soon as you take over.

Previously I would have controlled everything, but I'm a busier man now, so i mostly like to focus on match day and transfers now.

Anybody know how to reject one of the bids?

Thats the touch game isnt it? I think you are snookered on that one so. Few ways to get around it on full game, but not on touch, i think.

(sorry for delay - you probably still arent on that screen 2 weeks later)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,596 ✭✭✭threein99

Thats a wise move.

Oh and dont buy the editor. Removes the challenge.

Unless you are into that, then go nuts. I used to buy it and create my own team, or move Bohs into the PL etc etc; but i think there are in built features to create a team in FM2019 (im not sure, i havent really used them).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,375 ✭✭✭Sin City

Pter wrote: »
    Oh and dont buy the editor. Removes the challenge.

Unless you are into that, then go nuts. I used to buy it and create my own team, or move Bohs into the PL etc etc; but i think there are in built features to create a team in FM2019 (im not sure, i havent really used them).

I have the in game editor
    I only really use it to change nationality of player to match real life (like Ryan Johanson to declare for Ireland)

But other than that yeah it does ruin the fun
    Got it for the first time in fm 18 and Ill admit I was messing around with it so much it ruined the game for me

So now its only for nationality change (and its difficult still not to use it as a cheat for scouting )

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,956 ✭✭✭OptimusTractor

Got sacked by Liverpool after only 1 season. In a tantrum I voted for Brexit in the 3rd referendum (2026). Then used my European passport to get the Lyon job.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭Sirsok

Took over Udinese who were 20th in the l3ague, crawling out of it hovering on 16th, game against AC, who are third, drew 0-0..., game crashed and now I'm currently 4-1 down at half time

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭505_

Got this last week, first FM since 2014. Played one season with Man Utd so far. Signed Varane for £60 million at the beginning of the season and Rabiot for £6 million in January. It was a fairly poor first season. Finished in third 10 points behind Liverpool despite beating them 3-2 and Anfield and 5-1 at Old Trafford. Lost in the semi final of the FA cup to Arsenal on penalties. Got to the Champions League final against Liverpool. We hit the post 3 times in the first twenty minutes and managed to go in 2-0 down at half time. Went all out attack for the second half and got thumped 5-1 in a champions league final..

• Registered Users Posts: 5,754 ✭✭✭Deebles McBeebles

505_ wrote: »
    Got this last week, first FM since 2014.

Did you find it tough to get used to? Haven't played since FM16 myself and it looks very different in parts.

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭Doogs27

Anyone else go through periods where you are constantly thinking of when you can get home and play FM. Times where you can't even watch television without having it on, on your lap.

Followed by periods where cannot even look at it. Even the ould reliable 'go to' saves, I get totally sick of.

Yet I know after about two or three months I'll be back on a deep dive again in some obscure league. The constant FM cycle.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,137 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Doogs27 wrote: »
    Anyone else go through periods where you are constantly thinking of when you can get home and play FM. Times where you can't even watch television without having it on, on your lap.

Followed by periods where cannot even look at it. Even the ould reliable 'go to' saves, I get totally sick of.

Yet I know after about two or three months I'll be back on a deep dive again in some obscure league. The constant FM cycle.

Yep, struggling to keep motivated in my current save tbh.

I've essentially won all I can win with Arsenal so I'm debating packing it in and starting in the lower leagues with a team like Leyton Orient or something similar

• Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭Tomw86

Whats the touch game like, and is it easy to play on a mobile phone?

I know its late to be getting it with the season nearly over but I love FM, haven't played in a few years mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,110 ✭✭✭Colemania

Tomw86 wrote: »
    Whats the touch game like, and is it easy to play on a mobile phone?

I know its late to be getting it with the season nearly over but I love FM, haven't played in a few years mind.

The mobile version is highly unrealistic and player values are all over the place. It was on sale recently for 5.49 so I bought it and used my phone credit to buy it. For a somewhat free game, it's grand like

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭505_

Did you find it tough to get used to? Haven't played since FM16 myself and it looks very different in parts.

Not really. But I decided I was going to just have a quick go through the first season. I set up a basic enough tactic and delegated a lot of stuff like the new training setup to the staff. It's easy to delegate a lot of the work to staff if you are worried about features or it being overly complicated. I'm going to take a more hands on approach with everything in the second season.

• Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭Tomw86

Colemania wrote: »
    The mobile version is highly unrealistic and player values are all over the place. It was on sale recently for 5.49 so I bought it and used my phone credit to buy it. For a somewhat free game, it's grand like

Thanks, would you say its too easy - as I found this with previous mobile versions?

I might give it a shot anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭Shaunoc

cheap money wise investment
    expensive time wise

Tomw86 wrote: »
    Thanks, would you say its too easy - as I found this with previous mobile versions?

I might give it a shot anyway.

Ya it's easy enough. Too easy to sell players anyway, you pretty much get bids in for all players you list up and sometimes even more than you list them for. Now that money is definitely needed because as I said, player values are too high. I found there's some good deals to be got from the Brazilian league teams

• Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭Sirsok

Colemania wrote: »
    Ya it's easy enough. Too easy to sell players anyway, you pretty much get bids in for all players you list up and sometimes even more than you list them for. Now that money is definitely needed because as I said, player values are too high. I found there's some good deals to be got from the Brazilian league teams

And I find it's the complete opposite on the desktop version.

No value for any players I sell, even world beaters or wonderkids I discover, they are valued at 60 million, I get offered 20 million, I don't accept and my players go mad.

Meanwhile a 16 year old seven worth 125 k I get quoted 72 million

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,137 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Sirsok wrote:
    No value for any players I sell, even world beaters or wonderkids I discover, they are valued at 60 million, I get offered 20 million, I don't accept and my players go mad.

Yeah it drives me batsh1t mental this part, and has been going on for years.

No one wants to pay fair whack for my players, all I get is rumours of bids for huge money that never actually happen.

And then I get quoted obscene prices for anyone I want to purchase. I find that element of the game largely unfair tbh, as in the AI wont pay full whack for my guys yet charges exorbitantly for who I want to purchase.

Necro wrote: »
    Yeah it drives me batsh1t mental this part, and has been going on for years.

No one wants to pay fair whack for my players, all I get is rumours of bids for huge money that never actually happen.

And then I get quoted obscene prices for anyone I want to purchase. I find that element of the game largely unfair tbh, as in the AI wont pay full whack for my guys yet charges exorbitantly for who I want to purchase.

Ya I found that with the touch version, which is essentially the desktop version. Mobile one doesn't sound so bad now then!

Argos have put this back up to 43.99, my own fault for waiting. Any ideas on where the cheapest place to get it is?

Argos have put this back up to 43.99, my own fault for waiting. Any ideas on where the cheapest place to get it is?

If you're in Ireland or anywhere in the EU it's 18.89 on cdkeys currently. That's where I got my copy.

Linkage:

https://www.cdkeys.com/pc/games/football-manager-2019-pc-steam-cd-key

Excellent, cheers for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,956 ✭✭✭OptimusTractor

Find it strange that DoF is part of the scouting staff but HoYD is part of coaching staff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,724 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

I suppose the DOF can be in charge of the transfer of players coming in like if you give him instructions to do so, ie scouting players

HOYD is only in charge of players currently at the club right? Makes sense that's he's in coaching

Advertisement