Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tame Impala - 3 Arena 2019

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

I think part of it is that Irish people will pay higher prices and tolerate mid week gigs more than people in other countries, hence bands will play here on a wednesday so that they can play elsewhere at a weekend.

not really. there's 5 "weekdays/schoolnights" out of 7. we get plenty of weekend gigs too, but the likelihood is obviously that they'll fall on a weeknight.

look at any bands' tours and they'll be playing plenty of midweek gigs all over Europe or the UK too.

the idea that bands are schduling their trips across Europe or the world, with a view to playing in Ireland on Tuesday rather than Friday, is absolute nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭Lotus Flower

I think part of it is that Irish people will pay higher prices and tolerate mid week gigs more than people in other countries, hence bands will play here on a wednesday so that they can play elsewhere at a weekend.

Is this a serious post? There's loads of mid-week gigs elsewhere too

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭Noelmcgov28

Le Bruise wrote: »
    Seem to be loads of tickets still available for this. Still in two minds as to whether or not to get them. Why must my favourite gigs be mid-week!!

For this gig, Ticketmaster give you the option to resell your ticket for the same price or lower. I agree mid-week is a nightmare with work etc. wish it was on a weekend.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 17,424 ✭✭✭✭Conor Bourke

Also forgot about the presale but picked up three standing tickets at about 09:11, delighted with myself :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭Zardoz

Is this a serious post? There's loads of mid-week gigs elsewhere too

What he says is true .
    Dublin and London rarely get weekend gigs as these are two of the biggest markets in Europe .
    The weekend dates are kept for less attractive markets to drive sales.

• Advertisement

Zardoz wrote: »
    What he says is true .
    Dublin and London rarely get weekend gigs as these are two of the biggest markets in Europe .
    The weekend dates are kept for less attractive markets to drive sales.

I totally disagree. There's a gig on almost every night of the week in London, sometimes multiple. One of my best friends lives in Amsterdam and same thing there, she's at midweek gigs all the time

I totally disagree. There's a gig on almost every night of the week in London, sometimes multiple. One of my best friends lives in Amsterdam and same thing there, she's at midweek gigs all the time

Amsterdam is a big market too ,probably third in Europe behind London and Dublin .
    Of course London has gigs on most nights of the week but the big acts tend to play indoor gigs midweek there so as to keep the weekend gigs for the weaker markets.

Take this weeks major tour announcement by Khalid.
    Dublin on a Tuesday ,London on Tuesday and Wednesday .
    Glasgow on Friday,Birmingham on Saturday and Leeds on Sunday.
    Its no coincidence that the weekend dates are reserved for the 3 weakest markets .

The Lumineers tour also went on sale today ,Dublin and Glasgow are getting a Friday gig ,Manchester Sunday and London ..a Wednesday .

• Registered Users Posts: 21,152 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

In a largely festival tour, standalone indoor gigs are likely gonna be midweek due to slots being used at weekends by festivals

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,478 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

the idea that bands are schduling their trips across Europe or the world, with a view to playing in Ireland on Tuesday rather than Friday, is absolute nonsense.

Le Bruise was commenting on the fact that most of his favourite bands play midweek here. My point is that people in Ireland pay for mid week gigs and so get mid week gigs. They also pay more than people in other European cities.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.thesun.ie/tvandshowbiz/music/733997/irish-music-fans-getting-fleeced-as-punters-charged-more-than-double-the-ticket-prices-for-gigs-than-other-european-cities/amp/

Very often youll see a band playing here mid week and sure enough theyre in London at the weekend. Its a lot rarer, IMO, to see them play london midweek and here at the weekend.

Amsterdam is a big market too ,probably third in Europe behind London and Dublin .
    Of course London has gigs on most nights of the week but the big acts tend to play indoor gigs midweek there so as to keep the weekend gigs for the weaker markets.

Take this weeks major tour announcement by Khalid.
    Dublin on a Tuesday ,London on Tuesday and Wednesday .
    Glasgow on Friday,Birmingham on Saturday and Leeds on Sunday.
    Its no coincidence that the weekend dates are reserved for the 3 weakest markets .

The Lumineers tour also went on sale today ,Dublin and Glasgow are getting a Friday gig ,Manchester Sunday and London ..a Wednesday .

so Dublin is getting a Friday night, and Manchester is getting a "schoolnight" gig, completely negating your point :confused:

they're playing Madrid on a Saturday night, no doubt a big market.
    playing midweek gigs in Hamburg and Utrecht, which I can't imagine are bigger markets than Madrid...

• Advertisement

Le Bruise was commenting on the fact that most of his favourite bands play midweek here. My point is that people in Ireland pay for mid week gigs and so get mid week gigs. They also pay more than people in other European cities.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.thesun.ie/tvandshowbiz/music/733997/irish-music-fans-getting-fleeced-as-punters-charged-more-than-double-the-ticket-prices-for-gigs-than-other-european-cities/amp/

Very often youll see a band playing here mid week and sure enough theyre in London at the weekend. Its a lot rarer, IMO, to see them play london midweek and here at the weekend.
    paying more is a separate issue.

you'll see them here midweek and in London at the weekend as that's the natural route. They'll play in Belguim/Netherlands/France midweek then as that's the easiest route for trucks/shortest travel time.
    although your assertion is completely at odds with Zardoz's that they play in London midweek...

there's a 5/7 chance they'll play on a "weeknight" here. or anywhere.

Anne-Marie is here on Saturday 1st June.
    Michael Buble is here on Friday 7th June.
    David Blaine on a Saturday 8th June.

there's nothing booked for the whole midweek 2nd-5th.
    there's nothing booked on Sunday 9th/Monday 10th.

why put those gigs on at the weekend and keep the middle of the week free?

even looking through the 3Arena dates, it's a mix, mostly weeknight gigs, but some weekend gigs too.

The Eagles playing Saturday and Monday. why not Sunday and Tuesday?

Cher on a Friday.
    Sigrid on a Friday....

paying more is a separate issue.

you'll see them here midweek and in London at the weekend as that's the natural route. They'll play in Belguim/Netherlands/France midweek then as that's the easiest route for trucks/shortest travel time.
    although your assertion is completely at odds with Zardoz's that they play in London midweek...

there's a 5/7 chance they'll play on a "weeknight" here. or anywhere.

Anne-Marie is here on Saturday 1st June.
    Michael Buble is here on Friday 7th June.
    David Blaine on a Saturday 8th June.

there's nothing booked for the whole midweek 2nd-5th.
    there's nothing booked on Sunday 9th/Monday 10th.

why put those gigs on at the weekend and keep the middle of the week free?

even looking through the 3Arena dates, it's a mix, mostly weeknight gigs, but some weekend gigs too.

The Eagles playing Saturday and Monday. why not Sunday and Tuesday?

Cher on a Friday.
    Sigrid on a Friday....

Anne Marie is playing a Saturday night because the 3Arena is by far the biggest venue on her tour so it needs a weekend date.
    Likewise Sigrid and David Blaine.

Bubles gigs in the 3Arena are the most expensive on his UK and Ireland tour so again from a promoters point of view higher risk so need a better date .
    Chers tickets are astronomical money so again higher risk .

If an event is viewed to be a higher risk it will get a better day of the week ,if its a hot ticket it will be a midweek gig .

Anne Marie is playing a Saturday night because the 3Arena is by far the biggest venue on her tour so it needs a weekend date.
    Likewise Sigrid and David Blaine.

Bubles gigs in the 3Arena are the most expensive on his UK and Ireland tour so again from a promoters point of view higher risk so need a better date .
    Chers tickets are astronomical money so again higher risk .

If an event is viewed to be a higher risk it will get a better day of the week ,if its a hot ticket it will be a midweek gig .

So you're changing your story and it's not down to the biggest markets but whether a gig is risky/ too expensive?

So you're changing your story and it's not down to the biggest markets but whether a gig is risky/ too expensive?

I'm not changing my story at all .

• Registered Users Posts: 14,364 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

It's total nonsense to suggest there's some sort of conspiracy to have mid week gigs here instead of elsewhere. I've been to loads of weekend gigs over the years.

And maybe ticket prices are expensive here, but people seem to consistently conveniently foget that we're an island that takes a bit of extra money, effort and time to get in and get out of compared to mainland Europe. The UK is an island too, but people, usually play a few gigs there to make it a bit more lucrative than here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭Le Bruise

I seem to have kicked off quite the heated debate. Mid week or no, I gots me a ticket...roll on June 26th, can’t wait!

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,478 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

Arghus wrote: »
    It's total nonsense to suggest there's some sort of conspiracy to have mid week gigs here instead of elsewhere. I've been to loads of weekend gigs over the years.

And maybe ticket prices are expensive here, but people seem to consistently conveniently foget that we're an island that takes a bit of extra money, effort and time to get in and get out of compared to mainland Europe. The UK is an island too, but people, usually play a few gigs there to make it a bit more lucrative than here.

Its not a conspiracy at all. In fact, your second paragraph is exactly the point. As a smaller market we have to pay a little bit more and live with getting the less desireable nights for a gig. We pay more and accept mid week gigs over weekends. Thats the price we pay for being an island off the west coast of Europe.

The alternative is we dont get these gigs. But that doesnt disprove the argument that Dublin will not be the number one location for bands

• Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Effects

Effects wrote: »
    That's what I'm hoping. I've contacted Ticketmaster so will wait for their confirmation.

"Your tickets are standing.
    The row and seat number was just added for admin purposes.

Kind Regards
    Ticketmaster "

Its not a conspiracy at all. In fact, your second paragraph is exactly the point. As a smaller market we have to pay a little bit more and live with getting the less desireable nights for a gig. We pay more and accept mid week gigs over weekends. Thats the price we pay for being an island off the west coast of Europe.

The alternative is we dont get these gigs. But that doesnt disprove the argument that Dublin will not be the number one location for bands

Sorry but it is total nonsense. I've been to many gigs on a Friday and Saturday over the years. Besides, those who work regular Monday to Friday hours don't make up the whole working population. A midweek gig to those in shift work, etc, is the same as a weekend gig for a regular Monday to Friday worker.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭Sam Hain

Sorry but it is total nonsense. I've been to many gigs on a Friday and Saturday over the years. Besides, those who work regular Monday to Friday hours don't make up the whole working population. A midweek gig to those in shift work, etc, is the same as a weekend gig for a regular Monday to Friday worker.

Well said.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,856 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

Does anyone know if there is an issue with the Ticketmaster website? There are standing tickets available for this gig, according to the website, but if I try to select 3 tickets and proceed to "checkout", a message displays stating "We couldn't find you a ticket". I assume if the standing tickets were sold-out, that option would not be available to choose from? Thanks in-advance!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,810 ✭✭✭Rfrip

Does anyone know if there is an issue with the Ticketmaster website? There are standing tickets available for this gig, according to the website, but if I try to select 3 tickets and proceed to "checkout", a message displays stating "We couldn't find you a ticket". I assume if the standing tickets were sold-out, that option would not be available to choose from? Thanks in-advance!

Would you try the app? I just went in to there and there deffo is standing available

Rfrip wrote:
    Would you try the app? I just went in to there and there deffo is standing available

Just tried it on the app there, same issue. Seems very strange..

When I input 2 standing tickets it has the tickets available. But when I enter 1 standing ticket it says we cannot find you a ticket. Typical stupidity from Ticketmaster.

When I input 2 standing tickets it has the tickets available. But when I enter 1 standing ticket it says we cannot find you a ticket. Typical stupidity from Ticketmaster.

Ya that was my issue at the weekend...I wanted 3 tickets but couldn't get them, the website was only allowing me to get them in pairs! What a mess. I rang them now and standing is sold out :mad: I'm gonna get 3 seated, and we will chance sneaking into the standing section on the night. Don't know how feasible that is, I did it years ago but I haven't been to the 3 lately and don't know how strict security is these days!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,810 ✭✭✭Rfrip

Anyone know who the support is?

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭sally cinnamon89

Rfrip wrote: »

Hopefully pond

Rfrip wrote: »

There 1st show of the tour is on Saturday and a band called AlaskaAlaska is supporting them. I don't know if its the same for the Ireland gig or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 running_away

Any word on support yet?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭beecee

Advertisement