Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rick Stein - An Appreciation

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,273 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Marcusm wrote: »
    Keith Floyd was created as a TV personality by David Pritchard who subsequently “created” Rick Stein as a more consistent/manageable replacement.

Pritchard produced both shows and yes effectively Rick Stein replaced Floyd in the role in Pritchards shows but I think created is not appropriate term for what happened in either case. More like replacing Cantona with Ronaldo... than Simon Cowell territory.

Or are you implying its actually Pritchards recipes and culinary skills on the show rather than just excellence in production?

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,218 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

odyssey06 wrote: »
    Pritchard produced both shows and yes effectively Rick Stein replaced Floyd in the role in Pritchards shows but I think created is not appropriate term for what happened in either case. More like replacing Cantona with Ronaldo... than Simon Cowell territory.

Or are you implying its actually Pritchards recipes and culinary skills on the show rather than just excellence in production?

Not at all but the travelogue approach was Pritchard’s and his choices ce of presenters made it work; contrast with Hairy Biker rubbish or some of John Torode’s. Without Pritchard, Stein would be running 2 or 3 restaurants in Padstow. Also have his appearances in the shows are often golden moments.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

I remember the days before TV chefs and mammies taught us how to cook.

Marcusm wrote: »
    Not at all but the travelogue approach was Pritchard’s and his choices ce of presenters made it work; contrast with Hairy Biker rubbish or some of John Torode’s. Without Pritchard, Stein would be running 2 or 3 restaurants in Padstow. Also have his appearances in the shows are often golden moments.

I would say Pritchard has a gameplan and the talent of spotting talent and putting them in a role where the talent can shine.

Pritchard deserves credit for sure probably the lions share in terms of going up a notch above other shows - but I think Rick brings a lot to that equation.

Interesting review here of Prichards book Shooting the Cook
    https://www.google.ie/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/books/2009/may/09/shooting-the-cook-david-pritchard

• Registered Users Posts: 15,905 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

The canal boat trip on the Canal du Midi was a legend. For me anyway/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17 Rkcorry

I think his shows are so real, his love of food, fish, travel, tantrums, landrovers, and over indulging is something I can easily relate to.

His restaurants and pub in padstow is also very nice should anyone be passing....

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭Johnwayne98

anewme wrote: »
    There can NEVER be too much fish!

I think, with respect to the contributor of the 'too much fish' comment and to the many countries he visits, fish is such a vital part of the daily diet of many of the locals.

anewme wrote: »
    There can NEVER be too much fish!

I think, with respect to the contributor of the 'too much fish' comment and to the many countries he visits, fish is such a vital part of the daily diet of many of the locals.

And they are coveniently associated with scenic waterside locations... and you can film scenes of fishing boats in action. Much more diverting than cows in a field!

nc6000 wrote: »
    That's what I thought too!

And me!As well as him having had a distinguished spell in the military.

• Advertisement

nc6000 wrote: »
    That's what I thought too!

And me!As well as him having had a distinguished spell in the military.

• Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭Sultan_of_Ping

You can never have enough fish!

Big fan of Stein and his travel/cooking programmes. Recipes, ingredients and techniques are relatively straightforward and fuss-free.

A few years ago we went to "Padstein", stayed at and dined in the restaurant. Excellent meal.

As a surprise herself had booked me on their 2 day fish and shellfish course which was a brilliant experience - learned loads, really enjoyed it and got to briefly shake his hand when he popped in.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭ellejay

I went off him very recently, which is annoying because I loved his programs.

He was at a seaside location (as usual) cooking an old fashioned local dish, lamenting the loss of traditional old dishes.

All going well enjoying the show til I heard "rather like the Irish during the famine - they either didn't know or just forgot they could eat limpets and cockles, so they all starved"

I wish I could remember what country it was.
    I'm thinking Albania but really not sure.

A lot of British people (including my own English relatives) don't know anything about Irish history. Having said that, there are a lot of Irish people who are ill informed about Irish history. RS is not a historian so I wouldn't be too quick to judge him.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,906 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

I like Peter Kuruvita and lately Adam Liaw they both have a fairly relaxed vibe and are knowledgeable without being pretentious.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭Kevin Finnerty

ellejay wrote: »

He was at a seaside location (as usual) cooking an old fashioned local dish, lamenting the loss of traditional old dishes.

All going well enjoying the show til I heard "rather like the Irish during the famine - they either didn't know or just forgot they could eat limpets and cockles, so they all starved"

It was Albania I'm sure, and thought the same as yourself initially. It wasn't derogatory though coming from him, and to be fair hes probably right too.
    Myself and the missus are going on a city break next year and had it whittled down to Copenhagen or Lisbon. Undecided we watched RS's take on both cities. The Mercado de Ribeira in Lisbon made our mind up. It's his genuine enthusiasm without the pretentiousness I like most, would love to share a beer and bratwurst with him.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,132 ✭✭✭beer enigma

It was Albania I'm sure, and thought the same as yourself initially. It wasn't derogatory though coming from him, and to be fair hes probably right too.
    Myself and the missus are going on a city break next year and had it whittled down to Copenhagen or Lisbon. Undecided we watched RS's take on both cities. The Mercado de Ribeira in Lisbon made our mind up. It's his genuine enthusiasm without the pretentiousness I like most, would love to share a beer and bratwurst with him.

Also check out Mercado de Campo de Ourique ;) Steins have used a photo of my daughter on their website blog for a few years now and after it was posted we got a lovely email direct from Rick thanking us for letting them use it and saying how much he loved it - it was really warm and personal, nice touch, genuine guy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭Kevin Finnerty

Also check out Mercado de Campo de Ourique ;) Steins have used a photo of my daughter on their website blog for a few years now and after it was posted we got a lovely email direct from Rick thanking us for letting them use it and saying how much he loved it - it was really warm and personal, nice touch, genuine guy

:D

Thanks, just googled and that was the wrong one I posted. Just screensaved your post! Because I know what'll happen:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,811 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

I hadn't seen much of him until catching his series on Mexico at the start of this year. It was a brilliant series tied in well with the opening of each show of him driving his coupe down the highway and reminiscing of his first trip to Mexico several years before after his father had died from suicide.

It was great watching, the perfect mix of travel, culture and food and a lot of the stuff he did was interesting and informative - like how they made that Mexican tequilla (of some sort) and where chocolate comes from.

I went on to watch the Hairy Bikers' Mediterranean Adventure and it was excellent too, with great shots of the guys on their bikes on meandering roads.

The BBC produce some great stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,257 ✭✭✭SoupyNorman

Long time fan of Rick, I love the real early stuff where it was nearly all seafood and the plates were bloody awful early 90’s patterns. The early Rick Stein was like the evolution of Keith Floyd…it was more polished with a lot less booze.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,645 ✭✭✭storker

Jellybaby1 wrote: »
    I remember the days before TV chefs and mammies taught us how to cook.

...and your mammy had been watching Delia Smith and Fanny Craddock.

storker wrote: »
    ...and your mammy had been watching Delia Smith and Fanny Craddock.

Oh I'm even much older than you think! I'M the one who watched Delia, but I never saw Fanny Craddock because, mammy didn't have a telly. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

ellejay wrote: »

I missed that but I think I've watched him for the last time then. Definitely won't be giving him any more money for anything anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭ellejay

No he's not right.
    And he's fed into the stereotype that the thicko Irish wouldn't have starved to death if only they'd eaten limpets.
    So really he's just glossed over the fact that they raped the lands of anything vaguely edible and sent it all to London, while letting the dumb ole Irish die.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,655 ✭✭✭Corvo

That dog of his was a right bastard.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,429 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

A Rick Stein fan!!!?? I've traveled to Padstow and eaten in his restuarants and cafe(s). His fish and chip shop is amazing and great value, we're not eating onion rings at all here btw!

We've traveled to Cadiz in Southern Spain where he had one of his 'Long Weekend' episodes, we followed some of his routing and ate in Casa Manteca where this lady roared at him and frightened the bejaysus out of him:

p04hjmcq.jpg

This is us in Casa Manteca:
    23wd3t.png

So yeah, we could be considered fans :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,811 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

His series 'From Venice to Istanbul' is currently on the iplayer. 4 episodes I think. The first episode expires on Monday but the others should be there for another few weeks.

I saw the first episode last night (Venice) - good watching but I prefer the Mexico series, perhaps because Italy is well covered. The 2nd episode is on Croatia and the Dalmatian Coast.

I think Albania is the 3rd episode and the 4th then Istanbul presumably. It covers the old trading route it seems.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,480 ✭✭✭Vicarious Function

When I read the title of this thread I think he has just died. That's just the way it comes across to me.

Advertisement