Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rick Stein - An Appreciation

Options
  • 03-11-2018 1:26pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 80 ✭✭

Is there a better presenter of cooking shows on TV? I really think not. The guy is just getting better with age. His most recent series on the BBC (Spain, India, Eastern Med, Long Weekends) are so well made and enjoyable.

I really enjoy how much he gets involved with the history of an area, its culture and how that is all reflected in the food. You can really tell that his enthusiasm for food and travel is undimmed. And he wears his encyclopediac knowledge of food very lightly.

I was watching Jamie Oliver's latest show travelling through Italy and he seemed like a child (even though he's forty plus) compared with Rick.

Any other Rick Stein aficionados here?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,428 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

I enjoy his programmes tremendously though in terms of trying out the recipes shown it would be Nigel Slater or James Martin. He does a great job of bringing together the food and the history of the place. Keith Floyd was great craic but it was more about him than showing the places.

One slightly annoying thing is that if you watch Michael Portillo train travel shows he seems to hit a large number of same places... as if bbc are doubling up production.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,459 ✭✭✭Arthur Daley

He is a bit fish mad though. Like his shows when they are having something other than adventurous seafood dishes.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,951 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Long Weekends is one of the best food show formats going. Agree he does too much seafood but that is what he is known for of course

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭Captain Red Beard

Giving out about Rick Stein for cooking fish is like complaining about Mozart for going on about music.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,902 ✭✭✭✭anewme

Love Rick Stein. Love fish. Even my Mum Watches him him (yer man that does be everywhere)

Always had a bit of a crush on him too.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,058 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

I have to say I do enjoy his long weekends,

It seems the food is just a part of the overall show, which is nice as it’s not just full on food and “watch me cook this local food” type of stuff which most other TV chef’s seem to do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

Always liked Rick Stein, and yes of course he goes on about fish a lot but after all he does own a seafood restaurant so it has to be expected. His series in Mexico was very good too and it wasn't all fish either.

I like how he takes out his note book and starts jotting down the recipe as the dish is being cooked, often in small, rustic, family operated places. Its all about the flavour.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 80 ✭✭shortcircuitie

Great comments all. I must admit I'm a fish nut so it doesn't bother me in the slightest if he does a lot of fish.

A great point was the notebook and his dedication to authenticity in local dishes. You can see that his food is the antithesis of both the molecular approach and also the "InstaFood" school. Sure it looks lovely, but you can tell the primary concern is always flavour

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

His India series is still my favourite cookery TV I've seen. And whatever about the food he always gets across the fact that he loves it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 945 ✭✭✭Colonel Claptrap

No love for chalky?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭heldel00

Love Rick and watching his shows is pure relaxation for me.
    But.... i have to look away when he is eating. He just shovels it into his mouth, starts talking with mouth full and something always falls out. Bit gross

No love for chalky?[/quote

Always at the end of the program the closing credits were always Rick and Chalky on the top of a cliff in Autumny weather and the camera panned out. Don't know why but I always thought thought that captured them both and their relationship perfectly.

Remember at the tine Chalky was so famous, his death was mentioned in parliament. Loved where he attacked the microphone, it's my favourite out take.

I was watching Nigellas new show recently and wanted to tell her to F off with her hair do and make up and silk dressing gown making midnight brownies. It reminded me why I really like Rock Stein so much.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,757 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Patww79 wrote: »
    His India series is still my favourite cookery TV I've seen. And whatever about the food he always gets across the fact that he loves it.
    It was superb. I also really enjoyed his tour of Germany, but I'm a real fan of sauerkraut, sausages & pork knuckles.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Not that much of a foodie but I like the culture and history party of his shows. Also he talks about his film crew a lot. Very pleasant.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,947 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

beauf wrote: »
    Not that much of a foodie but I like the culture and history party of his shows. Also he talks about his film crew a lot. Very pleasant.

Yep, that's exactly my view of him too, I enjoy the travelogue aspect and watching local people cook too, he is normally very respectful of local chefs and cooks which I like. Very easy watching anyway.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

He is the best in regards cooking and travel shows. Too much fish?!

RasTa wrote: »
    He is the best in regards cooking and travel shows. Too much fish?!

There can NEVER be too much fish!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,655 ✭✭✭corks finest

Is there a better presenter of cooking shows on TV? I really think not. The guy is just getting better with age. His most recent series on the BBC (Spain, India, Eastern Med, Long Weekends) are so well made and enjoyable.

I really enjoy how much he gets involved with the history of an area, its culture and how that is all reflected in the food. You can really tell that his enthusiasm for food and travel is undimmed. And he wears his encyclopediac knowledge of food very lightly.

I was watching Jamie Oliver's latest show travelling through Italy and he seemed like a child (even though he's forty plus) compared with Rick.

Any other Rick Stein aficionados here?
    Enjoy him,kinda Jeremy Clarkson of the foodie gang

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,323 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Haven’t watched a food programme in a while. Does he have something in at the moment?

• Advertisement

Enjoy him,kinda Jeremy Clarkson of the foodie gang

Ah here, they're polar opposites. Clarkson is a dickhead, Stein completely sound.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,912 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Yes I like his shows. His voice is very relaxing and he seems to visit lots of great spots for his weekends. I loved his Bologna show, but I had just returned from a trip there so it resonated.

However, reading the thread title, I though he had passed on to the great restaurant in the sky!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Watched him during the week where he was in Cambodia, the salads he was preparing looked absolutely unreal, and he cooked a pork curry with pineapple and grated fresh coconut that I know I would love.

Definitely going to try recreate a few of the dishes in the coming weeks.

He's a man after my own heart the way he oftimes likes to sit back in an exotic country admiring the view having in his words "a really cold nice beer".

I like some of Jamie Oliver's dishes, don't get me wrong, but he's not in the same league as Rick.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 80 ✭✭shortcircuitie

anewme wrote: »
    No love for chalky?[/quote

Always at the end of the program the closing credits were always Rick and Chalky on the top of a cliff in Autumny weather and the camera panned out. Don't know why but I always thought thought that captured them both and their relationship perfectly.

Remember at the tine Chalky was so famous, his death was mentioned in parliament. Loved where he attacked the microphone, it's my favourite out take.

I was watching Nigellas new show recently and wanted to tell her to F off with her hair do and make up and silk dressing gown making midnight brownies. It reminded me why I really like Rock Stein so much.

That's where Rick shines above all the others- authenticity.

There is no BS staged dinner party with rent a crowd a la Nigella. On his shows the only people he eats with are those he has just been cooking with, or the crew.

The bits with the crew are great because they are total anti foodies and all they want is like a steak or a burger. It seems every time they are in a far flung locale all David (the director) can do is extol the virtues of roast lamb and mint sauce!

I too loved the long weekends show. I had been in Cadiz not long before his show was broadcast and it was so great to see him enjoying with enthusiasm the same food that I had done.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,069 ✭✭✭✭beertons

Rick is very informative on the places he visits.

Floyd is very funny, he must have knocked back some amount of drink in the day. He was always Balooba's by the time the dishes were ready to eat.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,225 ✭✭✭nc6000

However, reading the thread title, I though he had passed on to the great restaurant in the sky!

That's what I thought too!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,473 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

No love for chalky?

God no, he was a horrid yoke. And I love dogs!

Same!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,436 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Dial Hard wrote: »
    God no, he was a horrid yoke. And I love dogs!
    Sacrilege! Chalky was one of the best bits of the program!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,823 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Alun wrote: »
    Sacrilege! Chalky was one of the best bits of the program!

Chalkie was highly entertaining on TV and I really like Rick Stein but he is a nightmare pet owner who does nothing while his pet causes havoc attacking people, other pets, pissing and generally being a badly behaved, badly trained dog. Even saw Rick sneak him into a hotel that didn't allow pets.

Rick wouldn't be welcome in my house with that dog.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,224 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

odyssey06 wrote: »
    I enjoy his programmes tremendously though in terms of trying out the recipes shown it would be Nigel Slater or James Martin. He does a great job of bringing together the food and the history of the place. Keith Floyd was great craic but it was more about him than showing the places.

One slightly annoying thing is that if you watch Michael Portillo train travel shows he seems to hit a large number of same places... as if bbc are doubling up production.

Keith Floyd was created as a TV personality by David Pritchard who subsequently “created” Rick Stein as a more consistent/manageable replacement.

See also Patrick’s a Llewellyn who created Two Fat Ladies (they fidn’t Know each other before the series) and Jamie Oliver whom she saw in the background of the River Cafe series and designed the whole “Naked Chef” mentality including sourcing the apartment and scooter.

These are effectively the Simon Cowell of cooking lifestyle shows.

Advertisement