Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread XI (The Finals Countdown)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,021 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

Clegg wrote: »
    Furlong and Leavy's availability for the Saracens game is still 'uncertain'. No chance Furlong makes it now. Either makes it back in time now.

McFadden is fully fit, back training and available for selection. But I think we're probably sticking with Keenan now.

Dan Sheahan has a cheekbone injury and is out for 6 weeks. Think he would've gotten a run out in the league.

https://twitter.com/Murray_Kinsella/status/1305476695101788160?s=19

There's no case for McFadden really.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,520 ✭✭✭arsebiscuits1

There's no case for McFadden really.

It would be a big game to come back in cold.

We had ROL on the bench at the weekend. Ferg would cover 14 better than him.

I don't necessarily think Ferg should march straight back into the match day squad but we could do a lot worse than a big hitting strong carrying generally reliable player like him.

Can cover a lot of positions and can kick at goal too.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,182 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Honestly can't call between Josh and Will. Was Will given such little time at the weekend to rest ahead of this game? Or was Josh given so much to make sure he's prepared as much as possible?

The former, I think. VDF was only given a few minutes against Munster in a similar approach before starting against Ulster.

Whilst I thought VDF was very good, I didn't think he was MOTM at the weekend. He was busy and put huge pressure on the opposition but I thought the pack generally were brilliant and both Conan and Doris were as good as him, if not better. Conan dirtied his bib with 3 penalties though. You could see Toland lining up VDF as MOTM from a long way out. Openside picks openside.

Buer wrote: »
    The former, I think. VDF was only given a few minutes against Munster in a similar approach before starting against Ulster.

Whilst I thought VDF was very good, I didn't think he was MOTM at the weekend. He was busy and put huge pressure on the opposition but I thought the pack generally were brilliant and both Conan and Doris were as good as him, if not better. Conan dirtied his bib with 3 penalties though. You could see Toland lining up VDF as MOTM from a long way out. Openside picks openside.

I'd have had Doris at Motm myself. Or Henshaw.

I do feel Toland was just stroking the flames on a bit of a media narrative in fairness.

The line out is a massive concern but I'd still be slow to drop Kelleher. I'd rather we work double time on the set piece this week and try to ensure we have a solid performance there. Kelleher brings a lot outside the set piece. He's actually very similar to his opposite number this coming weekend. He has a brilliant engine and comes up with some big moments in defence. I rewatched the game and the 2 or 3 occasions when Ulster were camped in our 22 in the first half saw Kelleher coming off the line like a train and driving men back in the tackle on a few different occasions.

The throwing is a massive concern though. He could either go on to be the next Jamie George or the next Bernard Jackman depending on whether he sorts it out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,607 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

The line out is a massive concern but I'd still be slow to drop Kelleher. I'd rather we work double time on the set piece this week and try to ensure we have a solid performance there. Kelleher brings a lot outside the set piece. He's actually very similar to his opposite number this coming weekend. He has a brilliant engine and comes up with some big moments in defence. I rewatched the game and the 2 or 3 occasions when Ulster were camped in our 22 in the first half saw Kelleher coming off the line like a train and driving men back in the tackle on a few different occasions.

The throwing is a massive concern though. He could either go on to be the next Jamie George or the next Bernard Jackman depending on whether he sorts it out.

I don't think he has an inherent problem with his throwing, he was fairly on the money before his injury back in December and then for his short return in the 6N it wasn't too bad either.

The first game vs Munster that was partially down to the fact we had Baird and Fardy as the 2 locks, and neither really had experience in called the lineout. However last week with Ryan and Toner back in the fold it really should have improved.

Would just be a massive concern that we'll lose a lot of momentum if we're losing our own ball at the lineout, Sarries won't give us the same outs that Ulster did by turning over possession so easily afterwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

It appears Simon Zebo may not be renewed by Racing 92.

Leinster should sign him.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,607 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Nah I think Bryan Byrne has shown now that he's a decent replacement for Healy when he retires so we've no real use for another prop.

Nah I think Bryan Byrne has shown now that he's a decent replacement for Healy when he retires so we've no real use for another prop.

Ha. You picked the wrong Byrne - how embarrassing.

I think you mean Adam

• Registered Users Posts: 2,902 ✭✭✭Rigor Mortis

He could do a job in the Championship with Ealing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,830 ✭✭✭KH25

I do think Leinster should be looking at a back 3 player with Rob and Ferg leaving...

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,241 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

Lol

Does anyone think Zebo's comments / attitude towards Schmidt could impact his chances of joining a province?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

Does anyone think Zebo's comments / attitude towards Schmidt could impact his chances of joining a province?
    Not really the thread but zero chance of affecting him joining a province. IMO Zebo will be in France for rest of his career anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 11,291 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

He could do a job in the Championship with Ealing.

The trail mix finders?

I think him being 31, clearly past his best and probably looking for a pretty significant salary would impact his chances more.

I think Munster is the only place that he'd go to and also the only province that would look at him but they probably don't need him with Gallagher, Nash and Daly having bolstered their back three options alongside Earls, Sweetnam, Conway and Haley.

If Racing pass on him, I could see another French club as a likely landing spot. I could see him ending up somewhere like Pau and his career winding down.

McCall has stated he expects Mako Vunipola and Wigglesworth both to be available this weekend.

Regardless of absentees, this is going to be the biggest challenge and best team that Leinster have faced this season.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,745 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

McCall has stated he expects Mako Vunipola and Wigglesworth both to be available this weekend.

Regardless of absentees, this is going to be the biggest challenge and best team that Leinster have faced this season.

How match fit are they likely to be having only 1 game in over 6 months though?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

molloyjh wrote: »
    How match fit was James Ryan at the weekend?

molloyjh wrote: »

As fit as James Ryan.

• Advertisement

Leinster will win comfortably. Ye can stop the cute hoor routine.

No but his comments about Leinster definitely impact his chances of joining this one ha

I think him being 31, clearly past his best and probably looking for a pretty significant salary would impact his chances more.

I think Munster is the only place that he'd go to and also the only province that would look at him but they probably don't need him with Gallagher, Nash and Daly having bolstered their back three options alongside Earls, Sweetnam, Conway and Haley.

If Racing pass on him, I could see another French club as a likely landing spot. I could see him ending up somewhere like Pau and his career winding down.

Munster have a lot of back three players out of contract so they could make room for SZ. I don't think it will happen.

What will happen is #ZeboInBlue.

Munster have a lot of back three players out of contract so they could make room for SZ. I don't think it will happen.

What will happen is #ZeboInBlue.

Haha that would be PR suicide for Leinster.

No but his comments about Leinster definitely impact his chances of joining this one ha

What did he say?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,754 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Zebo wasn't good enough for Leinster in 2017. He certainly won't be good enough three years and three stone later.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Zebo wasn't good enough for Leinster in 2017. He certainly won't be good enough three years and three stone later.

Harsh. You try living in Paris, eating French cuisine with the cheese, and the wine, and the cheese, and keep your ideal weight. C'est pas facile!

What did he say?

Can't find the exact quotes. Think it was an interview with the42

Basically describing his out and out hatred for Leinster and saying you could offer him a million a year he still wouldn't play for Leinster

EDIT: found it https://m.facebook.com/watch/?v=766232733734322&_rdr

• Registered Users Posts: 16,754 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Can't find the exact quotes. Think it was an interview with Donal Lenihan.

Basically describing his out and out hatred for Leinster and saying you could offer him a million a year he still wouldn't play for Leinster

It's part of the intro theme of the Rugby Weekly podcast.

• Advertisement

It's part of the intro theme of the Rugby Weekly podcast.

Yeah found the quote. Knew it sounded familiar.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement