Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

€25k spending spree

• 26-01-2017 8:58pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭

Just reading about the girl who had €51k lodged to her account in error and decided to go on a spending spree and spent €25k of it within 9 days in Dunnes, Tesco, Centra, Heatons, Lifestyle, New Look and Shoe Rack.

She arrived into court with a sob story about never having disposable income before and never being able to buy presents for her family and that "Any young girl on social welfare like me would have done what I did". She conveniently claims that she "frittered" the money away and now has nothing to show for it.

The judge has adjourned it to April and asked for an assessment to see if she is suitable for Community Service. The real kicker was that when asked about repaying it, she said she was on Lone Parents and only got €250 a week, so could only afford to pay back €10-€20 out of this (I presume it's per week).

I think the book should be thrown at her. She's stolen money that she knew wasn't hers, has no remorse and had no intention of paying it back. There has to be consequences to your actions if you break the law.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,925 ✭✭✭pudzey101

i think 99% of us would blow €51k on hookers and coke if it happend us

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭gercoral

I don't understand how people don't have morals.
    I;ll get off me high horse in a minute but if I found money on the street, I put it into the nearest charity box or buskers box.
    I just don't feel right taking it. I'm quite happy with my lot, and it's not much.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,478 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

pudzey101 wrote: »
    Good luck to them getting that back!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭Butters1979

The self entitled, money for nothing types are plentiful in this country. Knackers are knackers. And she did in her hoop spend that in tesco's and spar. Drugs and big screen tv's

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

gercoral wrote: »
    I;ll get off me high horse in a minute but if I found money on the street, I put it into the nearest charity box or buskers box.
    I just don't feel right taking it. I'm quite happy with my lot, and it's not much.

It's the whole "so what" attitude that annoys me. I'm on lone parent so can only pay €10 a week. How about getting a fcuking job to pay it back??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,030 ✭✭✭pavb2

I just don't feel right taking it.
    Same . . I would just live in fear of being karmacally retributed for taking it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,523 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

The self entitled, money for nothing types are plentiful in this country. Knackers are knackers. And she did in her hoop spend that in tesco's and spar. Drugs and big screen tv's

3 grand on '2 crystal vases'!
    Is that what the kids are calling it these days??

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

What a blithering idiot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,290 ✭✭✭dresden8

The biggest knackers are "respectable" types who wear very expensive suits.

25k? 'Tis nothing.

https://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/willie-mcateer-sentenced-for-fraudulent-anglo-loan-but-gets-no-extra-prison-time-773675.html

€7.2 BILLION and €8 MILLION

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,448 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Poor person who lost it would have no hope with that attitude .
    Geez, how cruel are you .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 434 ✭✭Sprog 4

Dunnes, Tesco, Centra, Heatons, Lifestyle, New Look and Shoe Rack.

:D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭judeboy101

pudzey101 wrote: »

I'm a 7-UP man myself

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,520 ✭✭✭learn_more

As far as I'm concerned it's the banks fault and they should be fully liable for any lost money. Couldn't care less about the morals of the woman who spent the money. Banks we're talking about here. Banks. Properly upstanding moral institutions. Give me a break with all the righteousness here. Complete waste of time of a court case. Bank should be fined for incompetence.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭longshanks

judeboy101 wrote: »
    I'm a 7-UP man myself

So 8 hookers then. You'll have that money gone in no time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Berserker

Just reading about the girl who had €51k lodged to her account in error and decided to go on a spending spree and spent €25k of it within 9 days in Dunnes, Tesco, Centra, Heatons, Lifestyle, New Look and Shoe Rack.

Wonder what she bought that cost €25K in those stores.

learn_more wrote: »
    As far as I'm concerned it's the banks fault and they should be fully liable for any lost money. Couldn't care less about the morals of the woman who spent the money. Banks we're talking about here. Banks. Properly upstanding moral institutions. Give me a break with all the righteousness here. Complete waste of time of a court case. Bank should be fined for incompetence.

That's nonsense. It was an honest mistake by 1 frontline member of staff. The girl who's account it went into knew it wasn't hers and tried to spend as much as possible, as quickly as possible.

If, god forbid, you miskeyed an account number and it went into someone else's account and they spent, would you just say fair enough it was my mistake??

If I saw that happen, I'd tell the bank right away. You don't f*ck with a bank. They'll always win.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

How do you fritter away 25k in 9 days in the places she mentioned.

What does she have to show for it?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,639 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

It's unbelievable that people actually believe you can just spend the money and somehow the bank won't find out and prosecute you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,478 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

If I saw that happen, I'd tell the bank right away. You don't f*ck with a bank. They'll always win.

Except in this case where they have feck all chance of the person giving the money back and even less chance of them having any assets to repossess, and even less chance again of the girl going to prison etc as she has a child. Id imagine she has a house sorted already so no need to worry about not getting a mortgage etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

She is lucky. Couple of weeks/months ago someone went to prison for something similar.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,639 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

Presumably if 50k of your dosh got transferred into my account in error and I spent it, you'd give me a thumbs up and say
    'At least you're not Denis O'Brien'?

dresden8 wrote: »
    The biggest knackers are "respectable" types who wear very expensive suits.

25k? 'Tis nothing.

https://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/willie-mcateer-sentenced-for-fraudulent-anglo-loan-but-gets-no-extra-prison-time-773675.html

€7.2 BILLION and €8 MILLION

No the biggest knackers are the knackers. This bankers are worse crap is bull.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

I'd give them the runaround for a few weeks, passing them from person to person in my Refunds Department, losing their documentation and asking them to re-submit it all with all of their original birth certificates and driving licences.

No they shouldn't. If I dropped my wallet on the street it's my fault, but it's still not some knackers money. Finders-keepers is not a law.

The type of people who would assume to take this money are usually self entitled scroungers who never earned any themselves in the first place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,520 ✭✭✭learn_more

That's nonsense. It was an honest mistake by 1 frontline member of staff. The girl who's account it went into knew it wasn't hers and tried to spend as much as possible, as quickly as possible.

If, god forbid, you miskeyed an account number and it went into someone else's account and they spent, would you just say fair enough it was my mistake??

If I did I wouldn't just think I was going to get it back easily. I would just hope I would and would blame myself if I didn't.

If I did I wouldn't just think I was going to get it back easily. I would just hope I would and would blame myself if I didn't.

Of course you would. I reckon you'd be on here within an hour with a rant about how useless the bank was at getting your money back and the person who swiped it was a scummer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Pull the other one. If you accidentally deposited 50k in the wrong persons account, they spent every penny of it and told you to **** off, you'd just say to yourself "Oh, my fault, lesson learned, oops!" :confused:

You'd be on here ranting about the evil bank that took your money. Rabble rabble.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭Summer wind

This woman is a complete wagon. She should have to show receipts for everything she bought with the stolen money and get the biggest punishment the court can give her. But as we all know she won't because she will use her children as an excuse that she can't go to jail and the judge will take pity on her and she'll walk out of the court and laugh up his arse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,040 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

That's the same as the person in the OP, theft. What you do is drop it into a Garda Station and then after 90 days, or whatever the limit is, the Gardaí will give you the money if it isn't claimed. Then you can give it to a charity or busker.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭Winterlong

Took all her friends and family out for meals every night for two weeks. And then ignored the bank trying to contact her.
    She knew what she was doing was wrong. She should have to pay back every penny.
    But agree with the above, why is she not looking for a job?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭boardsuser1

Amazing how yer man that done something similar was jailed.

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-and-law/courts/circuit-court/teenager-jailed-after-20-000-mistakenly-lodged-into-account-1.2933483

A lack of convictions is no reason to avoid a jail sentence for such a large sum.

Sexism of the highest level.

Lone parent me arse, every child has a father.

And I know what i'm talking about, my ex is claiming the One Parent Family Payment even though I am actively in my child's life.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 281 ✭✭skankkuvhima

KC161 wrote: »

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-and-law/courts/circuit-court/teenager-jailed-after-20-000-mistakenly-lodged-into-account-1.2933483

A lack of convictions is no reason to avoid a jail sentence for such a large sum.

And I know what i'm talking about, my ex is claiming the One Parent Family Payment even though I am actively in my child's life.

Oh ho, a few people here won't like that. Although you are 100% correct.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 638 ✭✭✭Estrellita

“Any young girl on social welfare like me would have done what I did.”
    No, they wouldn't dear.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 281 ✭✭skankkuvhima

Estrellita wrote: »
    No, they wouldn't dear.

Are ye going out together?

Are ye going out together?

What?

Oh ho, a few people here won't like that. Although you are 100% correct.

I've had the 'lone parent' card thrown at me in the past

I must stress though, I AM NOT HAVING A GO AT ANYONE.

But where is the consistency in the legal system?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

Surprised this doesn't happen more often, IBANs are way too long and easy to get a digit wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,672 ✭✭✭elefant

Whenever a story like this is posted on facebook by the Independent or the Times there are streams of comments decrying 'But the bankers!!'.

How many years will pass before this line stops being trotted out? It's like the catch-all excuse for all sorts of abdication of financial responsibility.

• Advertisement

jester77 wrote: »
    Surprised this doesn't happen more often, IBANs are way too long and easy to get a digit wrong.
    Rarely if ever did this happen with the old sort code/account number system.

That SEPA thing is a load of cobblers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,952 ✭✭✭Conall Cernach

If you're not living together, the child lives with her and you don't have joint custody then she is entitled to claim the One Parent Family Payment. It is means tested anyway so any money you are giving to support your child will be taken into account.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

A simple phone call would sort that, but, you'll have to pay her more money...

jca wrote: »
    A simple phone call would sort that, but, you'll have to pay her more money...

Paying money every week without fail.

The article from the Irish Times.
    A woman went on a massive spending spree after a bank accidentally deposited more than €51,000 into her account, a court has heard.

Margaret McDonnell (23) spent the money on items for her children, including bedclothes, clothes and shoes, Dublin Circuit Criminal Court was told on Wednesday.

For two weeks, Ms McDonnell ate out every night and bought gifts, including two crystal vases and a “crystal mushroom lamp”. She also brought family and friends out to dinner.

She spent a total of €24,946 from the accidental deposit. At Wednesday’s hearing, McDonnell, of Rathvilly Park, Finglas, Co Dublin, pleaded guilty to 13 counts of theft of cash from Bank of Ireland on dates between March 7th and 16th, 2013.

Judge Cormac Quinn adjourned the case to April next and ordered a Probation Service report to assess Ms McDonnell’s suitability for community service. Det Karl Smith told the court that, in March 2013, a Bank of Ireland customer went into the bank’s Finglas branch to get details for his account to allow the transfer of €51,808 into it from a foreign bank account.

He was given an IBAN number, but when the money did not show up later in his account he contacted the bank again. It was then discovered he had been given the details for Ms McDonnell’s account instead of his own.

The €51,808 had dropped into her account on March 6th. The following day, Ms McDonnell withdrew €5,000 from her account. Over the next nine days, she spent large amounts in Dunnes, Tesco, Heatons, Centra, Lifestyle Sports, Shoe Rack and New Look.

On discovering its mistake, the bank took back the €26,862 remaining from the original deposit. They also wrote to Ms McDonnell asking her to repay the rest of the money, but she ignored the letter. After her arrest, Ms McDonnell accepted full responsibility for spending the money.

She told gardaí that she had thought the money was hers as it was in her bank account. "I just went on a high. It was such a lot of money. It was in my account so as far as I was concerned it was mine,” she said. She said she spent the money “on everything and anything, stupid things”.

Asked if she was bothered by the fact she had stolen the money, she told gardaí: “If only you knew me, you would know I was bothered by this. “Any young girl on social welfare like me would have done what I did.” She said she ignored the letter from the bank because she was scared and had realised she had done something wrong.

Oisín Clarke BL, defending, said that his client had never had disposable income to spend before and had never been able to buy gifts for friends or family. He said Ms McDonnell had never been in trouble before and had always tried to live her life in an upright fashion.

Mr Smith said it was highly unlikely Ms McDonnell would re-offend. He said that she could not believe how stupid she had been. He said she had “flittered the money away” and had nothing to show for it.

Mr Clarke said Ms McDonnell was in receipt of €250-a-week in lone-parent allowance and could only afford to use €10 or €20 out of this to repay the stolen money.

If you're not living together, the child lives with her and you don't have joint custody then she is entitled to claim the One Parent Family Payment. It is means tested anyway so any money you are giving to support your child will be taken into account.
    Even when I was with her she was doing it. I think you get where this is going.

She's blocking joint custody because of the money she'll lose and will have to look for a job (her words,not mine) plus her youngest child is soon to hit the 7 (not my child, a different one)

You know what I mean anyway, don't want to go off topic.

• Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭timmy880

Lads the bankers screwing the country out of billions doesn't make every other theft correct.... So can that stop being used as an argument in cases like this?

She knew what she was doing, ignored the letter when she got caught and tried to spend it all as quickly as possible. Now is claiming that she is on social welfare and can't pay it back? Complete bs.

Rarely if ever did this happen with the old sort code/account number system.

That SEPA thing is a load of cobblers.

It often happened. And when it happens now it's down to a digit in the sort code or bank account being wrong or miskeyed.

An IBAN is made up of the following:

IE26 (country code) AIBK (Bank Code) 931234 (sort code) and 12345678 (account number).

If you get the country or bank code wrong it won't go anywhere, so it's always a mistake on the sort or account number.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,661 ✭✭✭✭ted1

It's the whole "so what" attitude that annoys me. I'm on lone parent so can only pay €10 a week. How about getting a fcuking job to pay it back??

Other than that what gets me, is that she decided to blow it. Surly someone with limited means should make it last , give herself an extra 100 euro a week. That's a better standard of living for ten years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 552 ✭✭✭Commotion Ocean

Didn't a similar thing happen to an 18 or 19 year old chap and he went to jail only recently?

• Advertisement
Advertisement