Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

€250 charge to remove coffin handles before cremations (5 Minute Job with a cordless)

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭Darragh29

galwayrush wrote: »
    Good grief, i am so undervalued as a Joiner.:eek:

:D:D:D

I think the undertakers should get a handle on this before more people are ripped off!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

Chippy in an undertakers. e250 for five minutes work removing about 2 dozen spax screws, an average of two to three stiffs passing through a day, thats handy cash, and its recession proof. :).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,107 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Chippy in an undertakers. e250 for five minutes work removing about 2 dozen spax screws, an average of two to three stiffs passing through a day, thats handy cash, and its recession proof. :).

You have a way with words. Have you ever thought about becoming a bereavement counsellor? :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

ejmaztec wrote: »
    You have a way with words. Have you ever thought about becoming a bereavement counsellor? :pac:
    Dublin Bus is just as bad, passenger count to this day is still referred to as "skulls". :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭mumhaabu

At a family funeral once I went to lift the coffin and caught the handle only for it to break right off, to make matters worse my cousin on the opposite end did the same with similar results, thus our great uncle got a bit of slam down as the coffin fell down about a foot back onto the stand and were it not for the immediate rush from the family it would have capsized leading to calamity. We then had to shoulder it which (weighed an absolute tonne) with two plasticy stubs where the handles were.

There should be real handles not that crap, I'd pay the €250 for it when my time comes. These handles are buried with the coffin all the as are the guard so Environmentalism goes straight out the window there.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

mumhaabu wrote: »
    I'd pay the 250 for it when my time comes.
    Em how would you plan on paying when yer dead

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭mumhaabu

seanybiker wrote: »
    Em how would you plan on paying when yer dead

I will have ensured it is looked after with my estate by my legal team. It will be one of my instructions. Hopefully I shall not have to worry and with a bit of luck I should have several decades before it happens. Who knows they might be using one of those Fr. Ted like coffins when my time swings around.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,123 ✭✭✭stepbar

biko wrote: »
    Everyone, I'll do it for a mere €150

Fcuk it I'd do it for 50 quid. Jeasus I could quit the job with all the folk dying these days :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,049 ✭✭✭gazzer

My family had experience of this coffin handle rip off last month when we were arranging my aunts cremation. On picking the coffin we liked we were told that because of the handles on the coffin there would be a charge to remove them prior to the cremation. When we asked that we get to keep the handles after removal (just so our mind was at ease that they were not used on another coffin) we were told that it wasnt possible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭Morlar

gazzer wrote: »
    My family had experience of this coffin handle rip off last month when we were arranging my aunts cremation. On picking the coffin we liked we were told that because of the handles on the coffin there would be a charge to remove them prior to the cremation. When we asked that we get to keep the handles after removal (just so our mind was at ease that they were not used on another coffin) we were told that it wasnt possible.

There is probably only one single set of coffin handles in all of Dublin & these guys just keep selling them twice, once to put on then once more to take off and so on with the next family.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,595 ✭✭✭bonerm

How do we know they are actually cremating the bodies?

Good question

backrower8 wrote: »
    The primary purpose of the €250 charge is to deter the use of metal and plastic handles on coffins for cremation for the environmental reasons outlined. Glasnevin Trust would prefer not to have to apply the charge but a small minority of people (less than 3% of cremations) still decide to use plastic or metal handles.
    The use of a deterrent charge has been a very successful measure resulting in less than 3% of cremations now using metal and plastic handles.

What right is it of yours to try to dictate what people use ?

Why not allow them to use what materials they prefer and then if they do need to be removed prior to cremation charge them a reasonable amount.
    A secondary reason for the charge is the contribution they make to the additional costs of disposing of the metal and plastic handles when they are used on coffins for cremation. These additional costs are mainly related to the disposal of the handles by outside contractors, as well as to Glasnevin Trust’s own internal resources in managing the process of readying the handles for responsible disposal.

Why not give the bereaved families the option of keeping the handles as a keepsake, or, let them dispose of them without the 'Trust's overhead for the internal resources in managing the process of readying the handles for responsible disposal' ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭MaybeLogic

latenia wrote: »
    Undertakers are shameless thieving scummers.

They're not all bad.
    Friend of mine is an undertaker.Lovely fella,always ready to give you a dig-out and he'd be the last man to put you down.

MaybeLogic wrote: »
    They're not all bad.
    Friend of mine is an undertaker.Lovely fella,always ready to give you a dig-out and he'd be the last man to put you down.

This whole thread reminds me of Donny's burial scene in The big lebowski

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,699 ✭✭✭ronaneire

Hello

I should have seen this conversation and addressed it last March but I did not.

No as you only joined today?

But why the outrageous cost of €250 to remove a few handles? Or is it to pay for the new equipment installed in 2000/2001?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 973 ✭✭✭Super Sidious

Still €250 is a shocking amount to charge for such a menial task... funerals are already hugely expensive, and its one of those times in life were you are not going to "haggle", you just put up the money! I suppose some things will never change, screwing people for as much as you can get out of them, at a very vunerable time.

I understand your there to make a living and a profit, but to use a large amount of money as a deterent to people selecting a coffin for their loved ones is still horrible!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

ejmaztec wrote: »
    They sell those in SuperValu - "Real food - real people" *

*Royalty free repeat.

Haha! I almost soylent myself laughing at that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,582 ✭✭✭✭TheZohanS

It's way too much to pay.

Anyone feels like talking abou it further can go here.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement