Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ruth Bader Ginsburg dies at 87

Options

Comments

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

Lindsey Graham is going back on what he said in 2016 and 2018.

https://twitter.com/lindseygrahamsc/status/1307382090703474690?s=21

What a bunch of hypocritical snakes the GOP are.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,188 ✭✭✭Billy Mays

Of course he is

You don't expect Republicans to stay true to their word do you?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,709 ✭✭✭Dillonb3

Doug Collins is getting hammered on twitter over these tweets. Absolute Cretin

https://twitter.com/CollinsforGA/status/1307129730961936386

https://twitter.com/CollinsforGA/status/1307429652491890688

He’s so pro-life that he’s celebrating death?

Pro-lifers (not all, but many) are thick as anything. They don’t see the irony in what they post

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭Mr. Karate

Faugheen wrote: »
    Lindsey Graham is going back on what he said in 2016 and 2018.

https://twitter.com/lindseygrahamsc/status/1307382090703474690?s=21

What a bunch of hypocritical snakes the GOP are.

If the Democrats had accepted the 2016 results graciously and weren't gearing to contest this year's results i would say that the GOP should return the favor, but the Democrats have been acting like spoiled children for the last 4 years, screaming "not my president" [and the usual celebrity circle jerk of "I'm leaving the country" but never actually leaving],go nowhere investigations and phony impeachments that did nothing but waste people's time and money, the disgraceful treatment of Brett Kavanaugh during his confirmation hearing [which again they have never apologized for. And nobody went to jail for those phony allegations]so you know they'll be trotting out these phony allegations that are conveniently past the statute of limitations and conveniently vague enough to avoid federal prosecution] and then there's the riots, looting and burning in recent months.

So No the GOP owe the Democrats anything. They don't owe them any civility and grace. You want to act like you want a civil then you lose the right to cry when the other side starts preparing for it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

He’s so pro-life that he’s celebrating death?

Being prolife is not about believing nothing and nobody should die ffs.

Sure that would mean someone who is prolife must be a pacifist.

It's like saying if someone is prochoice then they must believe in all choices.

The word life in prolife is contextual, just like the word choice is in prochoice.

This really shouldn't have to be said.

Being prolife is not about believing nothing and nobody should die ffs.

Sure that would mean someone who is prolife must be a pacifist.

It's like saying if someone is prochoice then they must believe in all choices.

The word life in prolife is contextual, just like the word choice is in prochoice.

This really shouldn't have to be said.

Either way, celebrating death is a scummy thing to do. Using death as a political tool to attack someone who can no longer defend themselves is a scummy thing to do.

That really shouldn’t be said, but yet here you are completely ignoring it.

Funny that it’s a man who literally will never have to experience what a woman has to go through going after a dead woman as well. Seems to be a pattern with conservative types.

Mr. Karate wrote: »
    If the Democrats had accepted the 2016 results graciously and weren't gearing to contest this year's results i would say that the GOP should return the favor, but the Democrats have been acting like spoiled children for the last 4 years, screaming "not my president" [and the usual celebrity circle jerk of "I'm leaving the country" but never actually leaving],go nowhere investigations and phony impeachments that did nothing but waste people's time and money, the disgraceful treatment of Brett Kavanaugh during his confirmation hearing [which again they have never apologized for. And nobody went to jail for those phony allegations]so you know they'll be trotting out these phony allegations that are conveniently past the statute of limitations and conveniently vague enough to avoid federal prosecution] and then there's the riots, looting and burning in recent months.

So No the GOP owe the Democrats anything. They don't owe them any civility and grace. You want to act like you want a civil then you lose the right to cry when the other side starts preparing for it.

The GOP don’t owe the Democrats anything, you’re right.

The GOP set the standard though. No SCJ nominee in an election year. That’s the standard. They are breaking that standard only 4 years later and only weeks out from an election.

You can tell me all you want about Brett Kavanaugh and throw your toys out of the pram but fact of the matter is if you set a standard and then refuse to uphold that standard for your own gain then you are a snake. And anyone who defends this are snakes as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,951 ✭✭✭Sudden Valley

Is it inevitable that Roe vs Wade will be repealed if the Republicans get a new judge in before tthe election? I mean they have had a majority for a while now already. I think opinion polls across the states have supported at least limited forms of abortion so it would be destructive for society if the Supreme Court banned it outright.

The GOP set the standard though. No SCJ nominee in an election year. That’s the standard. They are breaking that standard only 4 years later and only weeks out from an election.

You can tell me all you want about Brett Kavanaugh and throw your toys out of the pram but fact of the matter is if you set a standard and then refuse to uphold that standard for your own gain then you are a snake. And anyone who defends this are snakes as well.

Can you tell me with a straight face that Chuck Schumer would have left the seat open in 2016 if he was Senate Majority Leader? Do you really think he would have went "We should let the next President decide?" Hell No he wouldn't. He would have tried to have Merrick Garland installed as fast as humanly possible. So all they're whinging is about "doing the right thing" its crying that they're once again not in a position to get their own way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,282 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

Is it inevitable that Roe vs Wade will be repealed if the Republicans get a new judge in before tthe election? I mean they have had a majority for a while now already. I think opinion polls across the states have supported at least limited forms of abortion so it would be destructive for society if the Supreme Court banned it outright.

No, i think its the liberal bogeyman nightmare and evangelical christian **** fantasy that it would be, most SC justices don’t want to touch that with a 10 foot pole, there will be GOP nominees in elections who will say they want it back on the table to get votes, but in reality I dont think we’ll ever see it repealed. I think most accept its place.

I do however think that the government funding planned parenthood May dry up , which I wouldnt oppose, wealthy donors will keep it going

Can you tell me with a straight face that Chuck Schumer would have left the seat open in 2016 if he was Senate Majority Leader? Do you really think he would have went "We should let the next President decide?" Hell No he wouldn't. He would have tried to have Merrick Garland installed as fast as humanly possible. So all they're whinging is about "doing the right thing" its crying that they're once again not in a position to get their own way.

The Democrats to fill the seat in 2016, which was the first time in 80 years that this situation arose.

The GOP said no. The GOP blocked it, because it was an election year.

That’s the standard the GOP set. Now, they’re going back on their own standard.

Are you actually paying any attention or you engaging in bad faith? It’s a stupid question because I know the answer.

Bunch of f*cking children around here who are just putting fingers in their ears going ‘la la la’.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

No SCJ nominee in an election year. That’s the standard.

I think "the standard" has well and truly gone out the window with this presidency and the reaction to it. All bets and gloves are off.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,429 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

I think "the standard" has well and truly gone out the window with this presidency and the reaction to it. All bets and gloves are off.

Hopefully Biden wins, Dems take full control of all three centres of power and absolutely decimate the Republicans.

Trump in jail would be the golden goal for me.

Hopefully Biden wins, Dems take full control of all three centres of power and absolutely decimate the Republicans.

One Party. One Volk. Ein Reich.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,446 ✭✭✭weisses

Indeed .. Republicans in 2016 when trump got elected ... house Senate and president

• Registered Users Posts: 26,282 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

I think the chances of all of that are pretty low, and then you have a 2024 issue, biden won’t be able for a second term, there would be so much room for a more conservative candidate to rise on the coat tails of donny and be an even more right wing president than donald ever could be,

Its in the democrats interest for biden to lose this one, deal with the devil they know and promote harris etc.. for an 8 year run through 2024.

I think we both know the chances of hillary or donald ending up in prison are the same - slim to none.

weisses wrote: »
    Indeed .. Republicans in 2016 when trump got elected ... house Senate and president

But the Dems are morally superior so wouldnt do that

• Registered Users Posts: 9,446 ✭✭✭weisses

Do what ?

Yep. And he's on the side that claims to be Anti-Fascist.

• Advertisement

That's some serious drugs you're taking to be that delusional.

Yep. And he's on the side that claims to be Anti-Fascist.

I'm not on any "side", I just believe that Trump has been one of the worse things to happen to the US and in particular US politics in a very long time.

I have supported both Republican and Democrat presidents over the years due to their stances on foreign policy, domestic policy and the impact they have/had on the world.

You see sides, you see left or right, you see republican or Democrat, You see USA

I see the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

I'm going off my own recollection of your posts, you've said you've condemned him, I've asked for proof.. your lack of links I'll take that as you talking bull? Very much like Donnie.

As this is off-topic, I'll reply to you here.
    This is what I don't understand from you Pete, you want the other side to hold themselves to standard, yet defend your side from the same standard you expect from the other.

Wrong. I treat ALL sexual assault allegations the same. Have you seen me say Biden shouldn't be running for office as I believe Tara Reade? Nope, the only time I mention her is to highlight the ibelieveher philosophy liberals switch on and off whenever it suits them too. The users who say Trump is a rapist but not a peep out of them when a democrat is accused of similar crimes. I however am consistent on such matters and believe in due process, not right-on hashtags, and do so regardless of the accused's politics.

As does Donald Trump by the way who could have easily got the boot into Biden when Reade accused him. But Trump didn't. Instead he empathized with him given that he knows what it's like for people to speak about you as if you're guilty on the back of a mere allegation, and not just with regards to himself, but he also of course witnessed the affect such allegations have an accused's family too, with regards to his own and Kavanaugh's. Hopefully in what's left of the run up to this election we won't see any more of these clearly orchestrated allegations being made but one never knows I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,466 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

It's all being used as a political play, the GOP is using gerrymandering and election restrictions to stay in power as it's unlikely they'll have the popular vote for a while (unless they start moving left as a party), but they won't be able to cry foul IF the dems get all three parts of government, and reform it in their own image, the GOP are masters of going after the short term gain.

What will be interesting, IF Trump loses, how quickly the GOP will abandon him, I'd give him a week past January, and then they'll try and scrub him from history. (Ivanka might go the Palin/TeaParty route to keep the money flowing).

• Registered Users Posts: 16,328 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Strange system where judges don't retire around 70, its ridiculous someone of that age could be still a judge in the highest court in the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,857 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Strange system where judges don't retire around 70, its ridiculous someone of that age could be still a judge in the highest court in the country.

She wasn't even the oldest Justice, though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,573 ✭✭✭Infini

In all honesty though by basically turning around and saying well appoint a Judge of our choosing during an election cycle after blocking Garland because it was during an election cycle it's black and white hypocrisy of the absolute highest order and basically makes clear they're outright Kleptocracts who will do whatever suit's them at that moment.

It will backfire in the long term spectacularly as it's that short term whatabboutery which will push the Democracts to basically say all bets are off and if they were to gain a Majority of the Senate and Whitehouse there's nothing to stop them re-balancing the court in their favour by appointing 4 more Justices. As the old saying goes, if you engage in illegitimate tactics you only serve to legitimize them.

The only good thing that could come in the long term is that it might force some rethinking on their supreme court to have term limits and maybe some judicial independence but sadly this is just another example of the broken ideological and emotional driven carryon from the republican side who are losing long term and are resorting to gerrymandering and disinformation campaigns to forestall how increasingly irrelevant they are outside of major population centers.

Our baby boom came later! Lol

Why you bothering lol, look at the join date.

Infini wrote: »

It will backfire in the long term spectacularly as it's that short term whatabboutery which will push the Democracts to basically say all bets are off and if they were to gain a Majority of the Senate and Whitehouse there's nothing to stop them re-balancing the court in their favour by appointing 4 more Justices.

Yeah, because they weren't already saying that. :rolleyes: They were already talking about stacking the courts and the Supreme Court even before RBG passed away. Let's stop pretending that the Democrats have been above ground this whole time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,857 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Excellent tracker on WaPo for GOP Senator positions on the vacancy along with whether they are in a close election race or they opposed the nomination and confirmation hearings for Merrick Garland

https://www.washingtonpost.com/graphics/2020/politics/whip-count-ginsburg-supreme-court-vacancy/?itid=hp-top-table-main

Advertisement