Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ruth Bader Ginsburg dies at 87

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,963 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Weaponizing sexual allegations is bottom of the barrel stuff.

Liberals of course only believing allegations when it suits them to.

Funny how you were against Kavanaugh being on the SCOTUS but I've never seen you arguing that Biden shouldn't be allowed run for office as a result of the allegations against him.

You're conflating a lifetime appointment to the Supreme Court with a 4 year term; the former is confirmed by the Senate, the later is elected by the voters. And I never said he should not have been allowed to be nominated or heard, I argued he should never have been confirmed and that the Supreme Court must remain trusted and unimpeachable and there are long lasting if not permanent ramifications if a sexual assaulter were to be confirmed to the court for life. Sexual assault allegations are not disqualifiers for running for President, the requirements to be President are constitutionally stipulated. Even Trump, who stands accused of raping dozens of women and refuses to hand over his DNA to prove his own innocence, can't do lasting damage, it takes 2 chambers of Congress to do anything lasting, with most orders and memorandums having no teeth if they do not follow the law and can be overturned by the next administration.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭MeMen2_MoRi_

Pretty much and why not. They didn't shy from sinking low:

https://twitter.com/SpeakerPelosi/status/1033850829126729728

My point versus your point...

No where to be found Pete.

This is the sad times in US politics, people in a two party system, they're not looking a middle ground.. McConnell, sought and won a middle ground no SCJ being appointed on the last term of a president, he at the first opportunity is seeking to reverse that president he and the senate GOP set in 15/16..

You, that tries to portray yourself an intelligent person in these discussions, you can't see these types tactics bemusing at times but overriding so fcuking sad as someone who proclaims democracy as a core value in your thinking. It is fcuking sad Pete, I was an Obama early on yet I quickly turned against what he stood for, because I learned, I didn't excuse or try to portray "this is what he meant" silliness you espouse for trump.

• Registered Users Posts: 681 ✭✭✭Pelezico

Faugheen wrote: »
    Thought so. You don’t actually know so you make a disingenuous attempt to engage in the topic.

Why are the Trumpets the ones who engage in bad faith?

Are you for real?

For their part it sounds like the Democrats are signaling they will expand the size of the court to 11 justices to restore balance after this railroading.

https://twitter.com/johnwdean/status/1307378047289442304?s=21

• Registered Users Posts: 13,448 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Overheal wrote: »
    Except we know it didn't happen and thus the precedent was set, with Republicans since affirming on the record that it should be the next President's nominee.

😊

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭Yellow_Fern

What was low about it? He gave some incredibly unconvincing answers to try and cover up his history of sexual deviancy

As the story emerged I sat on fence, giving her benefit of the doubt but as data become more available it has been confirmed major parts of her story are deliberate misrepresentations of her past like the whole second front door claim. Total fake.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,577 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

So politicians on both sides are saying pretty much the exact opposite of what they said in 2016.

Colour me shocked. I don't really get the surprise that OMG they said something different last time. There are no principles here.

The only issue might be with Lindsey Graham who really painted himself into a corner with his 2016 comments, but I'd expect that even he will manage to construct a difference between the 2016 and 2020 contexts somehow.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

You're conflating a lifetime appointment to the Supreme Court with a 4 year term ..

I didn't say they were the same. Lazy strawman. Just pointing out that the democrats have no shame when it comes to trying to get what they want. Kavanaugh was just another example of that. There are many.

I didn't say they were the same. Lazy strawman.

"Funny how you were against Kavanaugh being on the SCOTUS but I've never seen you arguing that Biden shouldn't be allowed run for office as a result of the allegations against him."

It came from your lazy argument so don't start that with me.

Yes and I stand by highlighting that as an example of your hypocrisy in this area given how paper thin claims from Ford were enough to have you supporting her but yet not Reade. Seems the politics of the accused are what really determine whether you "believe" them or not.

• Advertisement

Yes and I stand by highlighting that as an example of your hypocrisy in this area given how paper thin claims from Ford were enough to have you supporting her but yet not Reade. Seems the politics of the accused are what really determine whether you "believe" them or not.

This is what I don't understand from you Pete, you want the other side to hold themselves to standard, yet defend your side from the same standard you expect from the other..

It is hypocrisy, yet you can not see it..

This is the insanity you find yourself in.

You're incorrect as I'm equally happen to have an open mind about Reade's allegations. I am not the subject here though am I. Kavanaugh said under oath he'd have to look at a chart to tell him how much was too much alcohol to drink.

And that was enough for you think he shouldn't be on the Supreme Court?

And that was enough for you think he shouldn't be on the Supreme Court?

There were many factors why he shouldn't have been confirmed IMHO, but again that's my opinion and I am not the subject here am I? There's thousands of posts about Kavanaugh's confirmation, if you want to re-read it it's still there, seems completely senseless to re-litigate the same material just to distract from the matter at hand: Ginsburg's death and the current vacancy.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,019 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

For their part it sounds like the Democrats are signaling they will expand the size of the court to 11 justices to restore balance after this railroading.

https://twitter.com/johnwdean/status/1307378047289442304?s=21

If they are serious about that, they need to introduce term limits across the board

Pete, can you fill me in on what your thoughts are with regards, McConnell's thoughts are now versus what he said in 15/16?

I believe this is the topic of RBG's death.. Donnie is in his last few months in office, and the dreaded death of the senate is looking to force through a new SCJ after saying a new SCJ should not be filled by an out going POTUS.

If they are serious about that, they need to introduce term limits across the board

Nah. The framers were abundantly clear about the lifetime appointment of Justices. Term limits only further politicize what is supposed to be the most apolitical branch of government.

Alexander Hamilton under the pseudonym, Publius:
    To the People of the State of New York:

WE PROCEED now to an examination of the judiciary department of the proposed government.

In unfolding the defects of the existing Confederation, the utility and necessity of a federal judicature have been clearly pointed out. It is the less necessary to recapitulate the considerations there urged, as the propriety of the institution in the abstract is not disputed; the only questions which have been raised being relative to the manner of constituting it, and to its extent. To these points, therefore, our observations shall be confined.

The manner of constituting it seems to embrace these several objects: 1st. The mode of appointing the judges. 2d. The tenure by which they are to hold their places. 3d. The partition of the judiciary authority between different courts, and their relations to each other.

First. As to the mode of appointing the judges; this is the same with that of appointing the officers of the Union in general, and has been so fully discussed in the two last numbers, that nothing can be said here which would not be useless repetition.

Second. As to the tenure by which the judges are to hold their places; this chiefly concerns their duration in office; the provisions for their support; the precautions for their responsibility.

According to the plan of the convention, all judges who may be appointed by the United States are to hold their offices DURING GOOD BEHAVIOR; which is conformable to the most approved of the State constitutions and among the rest, to that of this State. Its propriety having been drawn into question by the adversaries of that plan, is no light symptom of the rage for objection, which disorders their imaginations and judgments. The standard of good behavior for the continuance in office of the judicial magistracy, is certainly one of the most valuable of the modern improvements in the practice of government. In a monarchy it is an excellent barrier to the despotism of the prince; in a republic it is a no less excellent barrier to the encroachments and oppressions of the representative body. And it is the best expedient which can be devised in any government, to secure a steady, upright, and impartial administration of the laws.

Whoever attentively considers the different departments of power must perceive, that, in a government in which they are separated from each other, the judiciary, from the nature of its functions, will always be the least dangerous to the political rights of the Constitution; because it will be least in a capacity to annoy or injure them. The Executive not only dispenses the honors, but holds the sword of the community. The legislature not only commands the purse, but prescribes the rules by which the duties and rights of every citizen are to be regulated. The judiciary, on the contrary, has no influence over either the sword or the purse; no direction either of the strength or of the wealth of the society; and can take no active resolution whatever. It may truly be said to have neither FORCE nor WILL, but merely judgment; and must ultimately depend upon the aid of the executive arm even for the efficacy of its judgments.

This simple view of the matter suggests several important consequences. It proves incontestably, that the judiciary is beyond comparison the weakest of the three departments of power1; that it can never attack with success either of the other two; and that all possible care is requisite to enable it to defend itself against their attacks. It equally proves, that though individual oppression may now and then proceed from the courts of justice, the general liberty of the people can never be endangered from that quarter; I mean so long as the judiciary remains truly distinct from both the legislature and the Executive. For I agree, that "there is no liberty, if the power of judging be not separated from the legislative and executive powers.''2 And it proves, in the last place, that as liberty can have nothing to fear from the judiciary alone, but would have every thing to fear from its union with either of the other departments; that as all the effects of such a union must ensue from a dependence of the former on the latter, notwithstanding a nominal and apparent separation; that as, from the natural feebleness of the judiciary, it is in continual jeopardy of being overpowered, awed, or influenced by its co-ordinate branches; and that as nothing can contribute so much to its firmness and independence as permanency in office, this quality may therefore be justly regarded as an indispensable ingredient in its constitution, and, in a great measure, as the citadel of the public justice and the public security.

The complete independence of the courts of justice is peculiarly essential in a limited Constitution. By a limited Constitution, I understand one which contains certain specified exceptions to the legislative authority; such, for instance, as that it shall pass no bills of attainder, no ex-post-facto laws, and the like. Limitations of this kind can be preserved in practice no other way than through the medium of courts of justice, whose duty it must be to declare all acts contrary to the manifest tenor of the Constitution void. Without this, all the reservations of particular rights or privileges would amount to nothing.

Some perplexity respecting the rights of the courts to pronounce legislative acts void, because contrary to the Constitution, has arisen from an imagination that the doctrine would imply a superiority of the judiciary to the legislative power. It is urged that the authority which can declare the acts of another void, must necessarily be superior to the one whose acts may be declared void. As this doctrine is of great importance in all the American constitutions, a brief discussion of the ground on which it rests cannot be unacceptable.

There is no position which depends on clearer principles, than that every act of a delegated authority, contrary to the tenor of the commission under which it is exercised, is void. No legislative act, therefore, contrary to the Constitution, can be valid. To deny this, would be to affirm, that the deputy is greater than his principal; that the servant is above his master; that the representatives of the people are superior to the people themselves; that men acting by virtue of powers, may do not only what their powers do not authorize, but what they forbid.

If it be said that the legislative body are themselves the constitutional judges of their own powers, and that the construction they put upon them is conclusive upon the other departments, it may be answered, that this cannot be the natural presumption, where it is not to be collected from any particular provisions in the Constitution. It is not otherwise to be supposed, that the Constitution could intend to enable the representatives of the people to substitute their WILL to that of their constituents. It is far more rational to suppose, that the courts were designed to be an intermediate body between the people and the legislature, in order, among other things, to keep the latter within the limits assigned to their authority. The interpretation of the laws is the proper and peculiar province of the courts. A constitution is, in fact, and must be regarded by the judges, as a fundamental law. It therefore belongs to them to ascertain its meaning, as well as the meaning of any particular act proceeding from the legislative body. If there should happen to be an irreconcilable variance between the two, that which has the superior obligation and validity ought, of course, to be preferred; or, in other words, the Constitution ought to be preferred to the statute, the intention of the people to the intention of their agents.

Nor does this conclusion by any means suppose a superiority of the judicial to the legislative power. It only supposes that the power of the people is superior to both; and that where the will of the legislature, declared in its statutes, stands in opposition to that of the people, declared in the Constitution, the judges ought to be governed by the latter rather than the former. They ought to regulate their decisions by the fundamental laws, rather than by those which are not fundamental.

This exercise of judicial discretion, in determining between two contradictory laws, is exemplified in a familiar instance. It not uncommonly happens, that there are two statutes existing at one time, clashing in whole or in part with each other, and neither of them containing any repealing clause or expression. In such a case, it is the province of the courts to liquidate and fix their meaning and operation. So far as they can, by any fair construction, be reconciled to each other, reason and law conspire to dictate that this should be done; where this is impracticable, it becomes a matter of necessity to give effect to one, in exclusion of the other. The rule which has obtained in the courts for determining their relative validity is, that the last in order of time shall be preferred to the first. But this is a mere rule of construction, not derived from any positive law, but from the nature and reason of the thing. It is a rule not enjoined upon the courts by legislative provision, but adopted by themselves, as consonant to truth and propriety, for the direction of their conduct as interpreters of the law. They thought it reasonable, that between the interfering acts of an EQUAL authority, that which was the last indication of its will should have the preference.

But in regard to the interfering acts of a superior and subordinate authority, of an original and derivative power, the nature and reason of the thing indicate the converse of that rule as proper to be followed. They teach us that the prior act of a superior ought to be preferred to the subsequent act of an inferior and subordinate authority; and that accordingly, whenever a particular statute contravenes the Constitution, it will be the duty of the judicial tribunals to adhere to the latter and disregard the former.

It can be of no weight to say that the courts, on the pretense of a repugnancy, may substitute their own pleasure to the constitutional intentions of the legislature. This might as well happen in the case of two contradictory statutes; or it might as well happen in every adjudication upon any single statute. The courts must declare the sense of the law; and if they should be disposed to exercise WILL instead of JUDGMENT, the consequence would equally be the substitution of their pleasure to that of the legislative body. The observation, if it prove any thing, would prove that there ought to be no judges distinct from that body.

If, then, the courts of justice are to be considered as the bulwarks of a limited Constitution against legislative encroachments, this consideration will afford a strong argument for the permanent tenure of judicial offices, since nothing will contribute so much as this to that independent spirit in the judges which must be essential to the faithful performance of so arduous a duty.

This independence of the judges is equally requisite to guard the Constitution and the rights of individuals from the effects of those ill humors, which the arts of designing men, or the influence of particular conjunctures, sometimes disseminate among the people themselves, and which, though they speedily give place to better information, and more deliberate reflection, have a tendency, in the meantime, to occasion dangerous innovations in the government, and serious oppressions of the minor party in the community. Though I trust the friends of the proposed Constitution will never concur with its enemies,3 in questioning that fundamental principle of republican government, which admits the right of the people to alter or abolish the established Constitution, whenever they find it inconsistent with their happiness, yet it is not to be inferred from this principle, that the representatives of the people, whenever a momentary inclination happens to lay hold of a majority of their constituents, incompatible with the provisions in the existing Constitution, would, on that account, be justifiable in a violation of those provisions; or that the courts would be under a greater obligation to connive at infractions in this shape, than when they had proceeded wholly from the cabals of the representative body. Until the people have, by some solemn and authoritative act, annulled or changed the established form, it is binding upon themselves collectively, as well as individually; and no presumption, or even knowledge, of their sentiments, can warrant their representatives in a departure from it, prior to such an act. But it is easy to see, that it would require an uncommon portion of fortitude in the judges to do their duty as faithful guardians of the Constitution, where legislative invasions of it had been instigated by the major voice of the community.

But it is not with a view to infractions of the Constitution only, that the independence of the judges may be an essential safeguard against the effects of occasional ill humors in the society. These sometimes extend no farther than to the injury of the private rights of particular classes of citizens, by unjust and partial laws. Here also the firmness of the judicial magistracy is of vast importance in mitigating the severity and confining the operation of such laws. It not only serves to moderate the immediate mischiefs of those which may have been passed, but it operates as a check upon the legislative body in passing them; who, perceiving that obstacles to the success of iniquitous intention are to be expected from the scruples of the courts, are in a manner compelled, by the very motives of the injustice they meditate, to qualify their attempts. This is a circumstance calculated to have more influence upon the character of our governments, than but few may be aware of. The benefits of the integrity and moderation of the judiciary have already been felt in more States than one; and though they may have displeased those whose sinister expectations they may have disappointed, they must have commanded the esteem and applause of all the virtuous and disinterested. Considerate men, of every description, ought to prize whatever will tend to beget or fortify that temper in the courts: as no man can be sure that he may not be to-morrow the victim of a spirit of injustice, by which he may be a gainer to-day. And every man must now feel, that the inevitable tendency of such a spirit is to sap the foundations of public and private confidence, and to introduce in its stead universal distrust and distress.

That inflexible and uniform adherence to the rights of the Constitution, and of individuals, which we perceive to be indispensable in the courts of justice, can certainly not be expected from judges who hold their offices by a temporary commission. Periodical appointments, however regulated, or by whomsoever made, would, in some way or other, be fatal to their necessary independence. If the power of making them was committed either to the Executive or legislature, there would be danger of an improper complaisance to the branch which possessed it; if to both, there would be an unwillingness to hazard the displeasure of either; if to the people, or to persons chosen by them for the special purpose, there would be too great a disposition to consult popularity, to justify a reliance that nothing would be consulted but the Constitution and the laws.

There is yet a further and a weightier reason for the permanency of the judicial offices, which is deducible from the nature of the qualifications they require. It has been frequently remarked, with great propriety, that a voluminous code of laws is one of the inconveniences necessarily connected with the advantages of a free government. To avoid an arbitrary discretion in the courts, it is indispensable that they should be bound down by strict rules and precedents, which serve to define and point out their duty in every particular case that comes before them; and it will readily be conceived from the variety of controversies which grow out of the folly and wickedness of mankind, that the records of those precedents must unavoidably swell to a very considerable bulk, and must demand long and laborious study to acquire a competent knowledge of them. Hence it is, that there can be but few men in the society who will have sufficient skill in the laws to qualify them for the stations of judges. And making the proper deductions for the ordinary depravity of human nature, the number must be still smaller of those who unite the requisite integrity with the requisite knowledge. These considerations apprise us, that the government can have no great option between fit character; and that a temporary duration in office, which would naturally discourage such characters from quitting a lucrative line of practice to accept a seat on the bench, would have a tendency to throw the administration of justice into hands less able, and less well qualified, to conduct it with utility and dignity. In the present circumstances of this country, and in those in which it is likely to be for a long time to come, the disadvantages on this score would be greater than they may at first sight appear; but it must be confessed, that they are far inferior to those which present themselves under the other aspects of the subject.

Upon the whole, there can be no room to doubt that the convention acted wisely in copying from the models of those constitutions which have established GOOD BEHAVIOR as the tenure of their judicial offices, in point of duration; and that so far from being blamable on this account, their plan would have been inexcusably defective, if it had wanted this important feature of good government. The experience of Great Britain affords an illustrious comment on the excellence of the institution.

PUBLIUS.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,019 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

Nah. The framers were abundantly clear about the lifetime appointment of Justices. Term limits only further politicize what is supposed to be the most apolitical branch of government.

Alexander Hamilton under the pseudonym, Publius:

That stands in opposition to the opinions of many prominent figures in the legal profession.

https://www.brookings.edu/policy2020/votervital/should-we-restructure-the-supreme-court/

Lays out some of the proposed options to reform the court. I'd be in favor of either term limits, or a rotating pool of judges to call upon.

There were many factors why he shouldn't have been confirmed IMHO, but again that's my opinion and I am not the subject here am I?

I am merely pointing out why I feel the Republicans shouldn't give two hoots about being fair to the democrats or be concerned about making the appointment political. What they did to Kavanaugh, or tried to, is one of the reasons why I feel that way and you supported these people in what they tried to do but yet here you are acting as if Trump and the Senate Republicans should be considerate of what they promised / decided they would do in the future and I'm sorry but I think that is absurd given how things have played out for the last three years.

Now, had you supported Reade in the same manner you supported Ford, or even close to it, then I would at least think fair enough, he has a philosophical view on such things and at least he is consistent but you didn't and so I have no choice but to see your support of Ford as politically motivated, and your lack of it for Reade similarly. All of which has me seeing your calls for this latest nomination to take place after the election as quite rich tbh, because we both know that were this the democrats in the position republicans currently are, you'd be all behind them doing what the hell they liked.

My point versus your point...

No where to be found Pete.

This is the sad times in US politics, people in a two party system, they're not looking a middle ground.. McConnell, sought and won a middle ground no SCJ being appointed on the last term of a president, he at the first opportunity is seeking to reverse that president he and the senate GOP set in 15/16..

Snipped what you said about Trump given it wasn't really related to this issue but suffice to say I disagree with your assessment.

As to the above point, so what? Again, after how the democrats have behaved, trying to frame members of the Trump administration, including Trump himself, hide testimonies which were exculpatory, paint him as everything from a Racist to a Russian asset, when they knew he was neither, then why should anyone give a crap about the democrats and what they want or even what's fair to them? They made their bed. About time they lay in it.

• Advertisement

I am merely pointing out why I feel the Republicans shouldn't give two hoots about being fair to the democrats or be concerned about making the appointment political. What they did to Kavanaugh, or tried to, is one of the reasons why I feel that way and you supported these people in what they tried to do but yet here you are acting as if Trump and the Senate Republicans should be considerate of what they promised / decided they would do in the future and I'm sorry but I think that is absurd given how things have played out for the last three years.

Now, had you supported Reade in the same manner you supported Ford, or even close to it, then I would at least think fair enough, he has a philosophical view on such things and at least he is consistent but you didn't and so I have no choice but to see your support of Ford as politically motivated, and your lack of it for Reade similarly. All of which has me seeing your calls for this latest nomination to take place after the election as quite rich tbh, because we both know that were this the democrats in the position republicans currently are, you'd be all behind them doing what the hell they liked.

The thing with Reade is the same thing with Trump: they're both accused and they're both running and we have a 2 party system. So you can hopefully imagine how much weight either series of allegations functionally have on my vote. Kavanaugh wasn't running against anyone and there is no drought of other potential nominees to select.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,282 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

Ill be amazed if the new nominee isn't accused of sexual assault. It seems to be the go to now.

Ill be amazed if the new nominee isn't accused of sexual assault. It seems to be the go to now.

I doubt a woman will have committed sexual assault. If this professor they've put forward is accused of it I will certainly give it the pinch of salt due.

Not on that subject, but given the GOP wants a candidate who publicly states Roe was decided wrongly, they seem predisposed to a nuclear nomination (ie. directly on party lines, 50-50, maybe even with Pence using his pocket vote)

I doubt a woman will have committed sexual assault. If this professor they've put forward is accused of it I will certainly give it the pinch of salt due.

That a bit sexist but sure here we are now...
    who have they put forward, genuine question, I havent heard a proposition.

That a bit sexist but sure here we are now...
    who have they put forward, genuine question, I havent heard a proposition.

I mean you're probably right I am judging the matter based on gender and the relative scarcity of female sexual abusers.

I have a name for you hang on Amy Coney Barrett has surfaced as the most likely candidate

https://www.mediaite.com/politics/report-amy-coney-barrett-frontrunner-as-trump-pick-to-fill-ruth-bader-ginsburgs-seat/

I mean you're probably right I am judging the matter based on gender and the relative scarcity of female sexual abusers.

I have a name for you hang on

Cheers.

Reported female sexual abusers, anyone who ever worked as a lounge boy could tell you stories about drunk older women that would have you screaming were it the other way round.

Edit : she actually seems a decent pick, my biggest issue with a conservative nomination would always be this christian **** fantasy (and liberal nightmare) that roe v wade would be overturned , but shes firmly in belief that thats above board.

Cheers.

Reported female sexual abusers, anyone who ever worked as a lounge boy could tell you stories about drunk older women that would have you screaming were it the other way round.

Ah now you're just giving me reasons to #BelieveTheMen :o but you're right there are some right awl aggressive females in the world. Now that you mention it while doing some installation estimates for a trade business I worked for in my teens there was a particular client that gave me the sense she'd eat me alive if I let my guard down (that's not me flattering myself or anything, she was just way out of my comfort zone for harmless flirting her her decor screamed unusual things about her as a person).

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,264 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

I have a name for you hang on Amy Coney Barrett has surfaced as the most likely candidate

https://www.mediaite.com/politics/report-amy-coney-barrett-frontrunner-as-trump-pick-to-fill-ruth-bader-ginsburgs-seat/

My money is on Barbara Lagoa. When she was put onto the 11th Circuit last year, it was a bipartisan vote of approval. She’d been on the Florida Supreme Court before that, and Florida appeals court before that. By all accounts, very well regarded.

Further, she’s Hispanic, and from a battleground state. If they announce her before the election, but hold off on voting until after the election, it could be a very interesting backgrouns for folks to vote one way or the other. How badly do Democrats want to oppose a Hispanic female Supreme Court judge? Then they can either continue with the nomination, and it seems they will get a qualified person in at worst, or withdraw it and put any other person they want.

My money is on Barbara Lagoa. When she was put onto the 11th Circuit last year, it was a bipartisan vote of approval. She’d been on the Florida Supreme Court before that, and Florida appeals court before that. By all accounts, very well regarded.

Further, she’s Hispanic, and from a battleground state. If they announce her before the election, but hold off on voting until after the election, it could be a very interesting backgrouns for folks to vote one way or the other. How badly do Democrats want to oppose a Hispanic female Supreme Court judge? Then they can either continue with the nomination, and it seems they will get a qualified person in at worst, or withdraw it and put any other person they want.

But when has Trump done something that made sense to centrists? ;)

Guess we will see this week, which is when he announced he will announce the nominee. Then again he’s promised a lot of things on a lot of timelines that never materialized

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭schmoo2k

igCorcaigh wrote: »
    I've never known much about her, but will do my research.

RIP.

I also don't know much about the American political system, but isn't the judiciary supposed to be apolitical?

Correct - and to be fair for the most part it is (even Brett Kavanaugh appears to be making apolitical rulings).

There are areas where folks are clearly biased though (abortion for example) and the court will always be stacked one way or the other. And even then its a grey line and not black and white (9 month abortion bad? Morning after pill ok? Its drawing the line in the middle which will never satisfy everyone)

Advertisement