Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Which degree is the most useless?

Comments

Batchelor of Circus Arts at the National Institute of Circus Arts, Australia (NICA), accredited by Swinburne University of Technology.
    Academic Integrity

Throughout the Bachelor Degree, student assessment is continuous and includes academic units such as circus history, music and theatre technology, arts business management and anatomy. Students participate in two speciality apparatus activities, a group act and strength, fitness and conditioning classes, developing professionalism and safe performance practice. The aim is a viable and sustainable career future in the performing arts.

My specialty apparatus would be the clown car.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

A PhD in many STEM fields doesn't get you more pay than a Masters

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,202 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

Candie wrote: »
    Batchelor of Circus Arts at the National Institute of Circus Arts, Australia (NICA), accredited by Swinburne University of Technology.

THAT IS THE BEST DEGREE IN THE HISTORY OF THE WORLD!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,123 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Arts. You can’t do anything with it until you do some sort of postgraduate study

THAT IS THE BEST DEGREE IN THE HISTORY OF THE WORLD!

No need to shout. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,202 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

No need to shout. :)

*whispers*

I'm sorry. I just got really excited. :o

The degree not used. I only used mine for two years in work and then for work permits in Asia since, which any degree is ok for. That is more useless than anyone's who led them to decent long-term employment either directly or through a Masters.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

The PPE program at Oxford (Politics, Philosophy and Economics - and it's the history of economics at that, not the mathematical orientated stuff) if boards is to be believed, is among the most useless degrees; yet, it churns out the most influential people in business, politics, diplomacy, banking year after year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭Dr Strange

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭LirW

Jokes on you, that industry is quite significant. Cirque du Soleil has the biggest casting department in the world in the entertainment industry.
    Other entertainment franchises are constantly on the look out for amazing and well-trained performers, entertainer and athletes.
    Know a guy who went to circus school. Animal of a man who now has a permanent theatre gig in Germany.

It's usually quite difficult to get into circus and performance courses in the first place and it's really physically demanding. You spend years to put together a handful of performances. Most graduates are nothing short of athletes and some working in that field have previously been athletes on national level.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,886 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Yurt! wrote:
    The PPE program at Oxford (Politics, Philosophy and Economics - and it's the history of economics at that, not the mathematical orientated stuff) if boards is to be believed, is among the most useless degrees; yet, it churns out the most influential people in business, politics, diplomacy, banking year after year.

Sounds like something I'd be into, but the thoughts of college again gives me shivers

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭vriesmays

Gael23 wrote: »
    Arts. You can’t do anything with it until you do some sort of postgraduate study
    An arts degree in maths and philosophy is very useful for the finance corporations.

Gael23 wrote: »

I, among several others in my cohort, got into a high-caliber graduate program off the back of an arts degree. Never looked back.

Film studies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,707 ✭✭✭Bobblehats

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭roroliam

I should have a degree in After Hours

• Closed Accounts Posts: 818 ✭✭✭Hal3000

Sounds like you couldn't hack college!

Agree, sounds like someone dropped out and is now trying to justify how worthless they think degrees are in order to feel a bit better about dropping out. Degrees in any subject can help get people jobs as they show a level of dedication and application in an interview candidate. It's better to have one then to not have one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,482 ✭✭✭Gimme A Pound

Whenever I do the totally pointless thing of "what should I have done differently", I always end up being glad I did arts. English and geography. I did a couple of certs too, which definitely had more practical value but so many companies expect a degree.

What I think is more useless is a masters in arts, but a bachelor's - definitely worth having.

Hal3000 wrote: »
    Agree, sounds like someone dropped out and is now trying to justify how worthless they think degrees are in order to feel a bit better about dropping out. Degrees in any subject can help get people jobs as they show a level of dedication and application in an interview candidate. It's better to have one then to not have one.

The problem with degrees like sociology is you need to attend a good university not some 3rd-rate one.

vriesmays wrote: »
    The problem with degrees like sociology is you need to attend a good university not some 3rd-rate one.

Unless you attend Stanford or Oxford, where you will be taught by genuinely world-class lecturers, most universities are much of a muchness - it's mostly self directed learning and the curricula will be fairly uniform across institutions. Despite half-hearted attempts at snobbery, all Irish universities are of more or less the same quality, not too good, not too bad. Some places excell in certain subject areas, but nothing particularly world-beating.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Has trump uni been mentioned yet?

Fat Studies. Its really a thing.

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    Has trump uni been mentioned yet?

I'd say you would get a job out of that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

Most degrees themselves are useful, if there is a demand. But its the amount of ****e courses and departments hoovering up public funds, for sinecures for niche "experts" to churn out bullshît papers/research.

Public funding should follow labour demand.
    Or else fund your hobby degree in pre Christian intersectionalist mime yourself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭NSAman

Arts degrees are an incredible waste of time for anyone not looking to become a teacher or someone who’s retired.

Funny thing about an Arts degree, I have one, yes got the HDip also. It is a great stepping stone to other things. With other degrees, I have found them all to be useful in some way.

As the first kid to go to university in my family (fully funded by myself) education is something I have found to be the most useful thing to open doors. Be it in gaining visa’s for different countries etc. Having experience plus a degree gives you far more options in life than not having a degree.

I'd say you would get a job out of that

The best job in the world, I'd imagine

• Closed Accounts Posts: 772 ✭✭✭the dark phantom

YFlyer wrote: »
    Back in the day in UL it was Public Administration and European Studies.

European Studies is still going and just as useless as ever.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,482 ✭✭✭Gimme A Pound

Ah whatever about European Studies, public admin would be a good number to get into the civil/public service.

There is a course in retail management. Now that's ridiculous.

Advertisement