Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Explain the dislike towards Ryanair?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭NickNickleby

Their "hidden charges" that are flagged up on every page of their website could be considered an idiot tax.

Idiots are annoyed at having to pay idiot tax.

Ryanair and Aer Lingus do that. Headline price looks great, then all the 'extras' start popping up. Sure , as you say, just read what's in front of you, folks.

On that note, I think if you claim a refund, you only get the headline price refunded. Don't know where I heard that but I remember someone going nuts over it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭PhilOssophy

bear1 wrote: »
    No I'm forced into paying it.
    If I'm on a 5 hour flight and it's a holiday with my partner why would I want to start it by being seperate?
    They create a situation where you need to pay for the want to be next to someone you're flying with.
    I remember very well how much it cost to fly 20 years ago but it still doesn't mean that cause it costs x euro to go somewhere that I should need to pay more x euro cause its still x amount less than 2 decades ago.

No you are saying you are choosing to pay it.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,505 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

How much was a flight to London with Aer Lingus before Ryanair was established?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭BarryD2

Bag restrictions have become a bit ridiculous, on recent flight I'd reckon 2/3rds at least had 'priority' booking so they could take a bigger bag on board - you'd wonder what's in the cargo hold. But they do mostly what they say, few flights I've been on have erred more on late side but whether that's Ryanair problem I don't know. Fair dues to chief exec for living in the country and paying his taxes here, I'd respect him for that alone, unlike some of our more famous plastic paddys, who make out to be Irish but contribute little.

But the days of cheap international flights will surely grind to a halt soon enough, between fuel prices and carbon guilt.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

CEO is that rare thing in Ireland, an unapologetic capitalist, hence the media hate him, I spend a bit extra on emergency row seats and faster boarding, I'm good to go then and it's still cheap

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,562 ✭✭✭Allinall

If I'm on a 5 hour flight and it's a holiday with my partner why would I want to start it by being seperate?
    They create a situation where you need to pay for the want to be next to someone you're flying with.
    I remember very well how much it cost to fly 20 years ago but it still doesn't mean that cause it costs x euro to go somewhere that I should need to pay more x euro cause its still x amount less than 2 decades ago.

Where do Ryanair go to that’s a 5 hour flight?

My biggest peeve with them is the number of announcements they make. On a recent early AM flight from Malaga to Dublin they were on the intercom a total of 14 times in almost 3 hrs, while everyone is trying to get a bit of shuteye. Impossible to catch some Z's when they're banging on about perfume and scratch cards every 12 minutes (on average).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭imitation

Ryanair fine when you know the rules, and they have saved my ass when I was in a situation where I had to travel back and forth to the UK without being bankrupted by air fares.

However the second the **** hits the fan they do go straight to the gouge button. One time I got screwed over by there websites auto complete that had both my GFs name and Mine. For some reason it mixed up my first name and her second name. I didn't spot it as the email they sent out conveniently forgets your first name, so I missed out on the 24 hour window and got stung for 100 quid. I reckon that might be a nice litte earner for them.

I was pissed but ultimately its the price of dealing with Ryanair, if you mess up, you pay, if you are taking up there time, you pay. Considering historically airlines used to bend over backwards for people and accommodate these things, I can see how people will start bitching, but those days are going and you can find your self in the same boat dealing with Aer Lingus (although they did let me get away with an extra luggage once, but I imagine thats down to the attendant), and still pay a handsome premium for the ticket.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭amcalester

Forced into paying for an optional extra because you want to sit with your partner. It's not really forced then is it?

I remember paying something like £220 return - thats' POUNDS. Horrifying when you think of it. (actually, my employer paid - but still....)

• Advertisement

I remember paying £145 in the late 90s

Edit: Converting both my and Nick's prices into euros we get €185-€280 in today's money

• Registered Users Posts: 12,812 ✭✭✭✭bear1

Allinall wrote: »
    Where do Ryanair go to that’s a 5 hour flight?

Warsaw to tenerife.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,342 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

£200-300 would be average.

I remember the Eurolines buses being full and that was like 10 hour trip (3 ferry/7 bus) and cost about £40-50

• Registered Users Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

The website is better now but it used to be a minefield, where the least slip would cost you money. These days they're not much different from other airlines with all the extras to wade through

Dislike them all you want, they are one of the only low-cost carriers who have survived. Norwegian, Wow, etc.

Edit: Converting both my and Nick's prices into euros we get €185-€280 in today's money

In today's money that would be about 600-700 quid.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,541 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

I remember going over on a Tesco promotion in 1998. You had to collect a bunch of tokens - something like a grand's worth - and then you got the flight on Aer Lingus for £50.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

Many people who simply expect to get more than what they pay for. It's endemic, people go cheap and wonder why they get crap.

Flown with the dozens of times and they're grand. Pay bus money, expect bus service.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,429 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

No, you're really not, you choose to pay to sit next to your partner, in the grand scheme of things 5 hours apart in the same aeroplane isn't the end of the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭wally79

My only issue is the way they’ve changed priority recently

By all means charge for a cabin bag but there’s no need to ruin priority doing it

I can only think they have some sort of priority plus coming soon

• Advertisement

I remember going over on a Tesco promotion in 1998. You had to collect a bunch of tokens - something like a grand's worth - and then you got the flight on Aer Lingus for £50.

oh my God, memories. WE got something like that from Tesco, but you didn't get to choose your destination We got Frankfurt. FRANKFURT. THe only good thing about Frankfurt is the train to Heidelberg. I'd forgotten all about that until now.

Edit : when I originally wrote this it was on a gut instinct response, based on a weekend there about 25 years ago. Unfair of me to characterise a whole city based on my own limited experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

Being left in an airport for 36 hours, with a 6 month old - with no hotel or arrangements made for any passengers - as they refused to cancel a flight until 6 hours after the expected departure and 2 hours after the last airline had

Being lied to by their staff who were less informed than the passengers

Being lied to by the airline about the reason for the delay that was in direct opposition to what we were told by the pilot.

Being given a phone number that didnt exist by call centre staff

They are fine when things go well. I have found them by far the worst airline when things go wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭Bob Harris

wally79 wrote: »
    My only issue is the way they’ve changed priority recently

By all means charge for a cabin bag but there’s no need to ruin priority doing it

I can only think they have some sort of priority plus coming soon

It's become a bit of a misnomer when the 15 people with non-priority are watching 90 people in the priorty queue dragging on their bags.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn II

Come on. Plenty of times years ago there wouldn’t be seats together guaranteed. You can fly without your partner beside you. I’d be happy to.

I don’t like the tiny size of the standard baggage allowance but I get if I am going on a day or weekend trip it would be grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,562 ✭✭✭Allinall

oh my God, memories. WE got something like that from Tesco, but you didn't get to choose your destination We got Frankfurt. FRANKFURT. THe only good thing about Frankfurt is the train to Heidelberg. I'd forgotten all about that until now.

I know a bloke who works at the cutting edge in financial services in Frankfurt, and he says it’s great.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭facehugger99

Nope, more like €270 - €405, allowing for inflation over the last 20 years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn II

Relative to wages nicks £220 is about 800€

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

I think the issue is that people expect a regular airline when they are actually booking with budget airline.

Like, if I buy a prepacked lasagna, I know it's not going to taste like Giuseppe's Magical Perfecto Lasagna made in the leaning tower of Pisa.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,295 ✭✭✭✭branie2

Because people don't read the terms and conditions

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭Bogwoppit

Rome a few weeks ago with Aer Lingus, €380.
    Pisa earlier this month with with Ryanair €108 with a bag.

Advertisement