Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

If you could change one thing about Ireland...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,344 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

scumbags

people who commit minor crimes should do community service in their areas which would involve picking up litter etc

• Registered Users Posts: 12,963 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

Change the constitution:(stolen from US Bill of Rights):

The Dail shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof.
    ---
    Gets rid of the pervasive stink that is the RCC and all its minions (looking at you, HSE). No more church influenced schools, hospitals, politicians, ...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭IAMAMORON

Nothing, It is what it is , and i love you.

We should be more grateful for what we have.

Ok, maybe dark chocolate Loop D Loops ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭Sonny noggs

i would make it summer all year round!

Won’t affect the rain if today is anything to go by.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭Marhay70

While it's all we have at the moment, democracy gives us some of the most inept leaders. Maybe introduce a system where people have to train and complete courses in leadership, do exams and go through serious interviews and screening to become a member of government.

Democracy doesn't give us inept leaders, stupid Irish people who can't see the wood for the trees give us inept leaders

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭Plopsu

After 5 convictions, any further convictions should carry the maximum tariff for the crime. Nobody will get life for stealing a bicycle but they will get the longest sentence they can. I believe the majority of crime is recidivist. If we made a serious effort to get those people off the streets, I'd imagine the crime rate would plummet.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,805 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Plopsu wrote:
    After 5 convictions, any further convictions should carry the maximum tariff for the crime. Nobody will get life for stealing a bicycle but they will get the longest sentence they can. I believe the majority of crime is recidivist. If we made a serious effort to get those people off the streets, I'd imagine the crime rate would plummet.

Would it really, or would it just cause an overall rise in the cost of running our judicial system?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭Sonny noggs

Plopsu wrote: »

Plus get rid of this concurrent sentencing lark, consecutive only please. And remission to be earned not automatic.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

It wouldnt be just one thing... .

Longer Jail sentences , after 10 convictions you get automatically 10 years
    Weather more sun
    false claims such as accusations of rape, or even claims for compensation are dealt with more sturdily with an eye to what would have been the implications for the accused or the plaintiff
    Better child care facilities for all, those earning more would contribute more
    Same or close to same maternity for fathers , allowance of the sharing of the maternity leave
    higher penalties for speeding drivers, linked to your income
    Fines etc handed out by the court are linked immediately to your payments wheather that be your salary or social welfare payments
    For council housing the offer of the free house can be anywhere on the island of Ireland, including northern Ireland , the welfare payment been taken care of by the jurisdiction from where you come. If the housing offered after the second offering is refused you are taken off the list.
    DNA testing for absent parents and rapid decisions on payments to be made to the parent in charge of the kids
    Fathers rights to their kids be automatically enshrined in law
    All education becomes non denominational unless the schooling is privately paid
    Phasing in of a 4 day week

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    Would it really, or would it just cause an overall rise in the cost of running our judicial system?

I'd imagine there would be a rise in cost if we were actually keeping career criminals in jail. I'd also say there would be savings elsewhere.

• Advertisement

Plopsu wrote:
    I'd imagine there would be a rise in cost if we were actually keeping career criminals in jail. I'd also say there would be savings elsewhere.

But would it actually help us resolve our problems with criminality, or just hide them further?

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    But would it actually help us resolve our problems with criminality, or just hide them further?

Well it would be great to do early intervention stuff too but it's too late for that when somebody is on multiple convictions (have we had this conversation before). We were asked for one thing to change. Otherwise, I'd have added that I'd like to see some sort of law treating adolescents differently from younger children but not as adults (amongst many other things).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭Electric Sheep

*Better child care facilities for all, those earning more would contribute more*
    I don't have kids. Should I be paying for your inability to keep your dick in your pants?

Plopsu wrote:
    Well it would be great to do early intervention stuff too but it's too late for that when somebody is on multiple convictions (have we had this conversation before). We were asked for one thing to change. Otherwise, I'd have added that I'd like to see some sort of law treating adolescents differently from younger children but not as adults (amongst many other things).

Crime is a complicated one, it ll always exist, but we know a lot more about it than ever before, a gigantic overhaul is required, but that probably won't occur, so on we role

couple of midfielders with a bit of flair be nice

• Registered Users Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭It wasnt me123

Where shall I start?

- All teachers/doctors/nurses have to work in the system for 2 years before getting their papers so they can't flit off to usa/dubai/australia as soon as they qualify - we'd never run out of doctors/nurses/teachers then.

- Retired teachers cannot work as relief teachers/exam hall checkers (?) etc - leave the jobs for the young, new teachers. They can do grinds.

- Public service employees should not get extra paid benefits that every other employee in the country public/private doesn't get like sick pay, paid maternity leave, 5 year "need to find myself breaks" etc. They have a job for life - that should be enough - they shouldn't get more benefits.

- Tell travellers once and for all that they aren't a special ethnic group - they are a bunch of useless, lazy, thieving, uneducated people. I'm sick of funding their lifestyle.

- All social welfare recipients must do a reading/writing/maths test to ensure that you are capable of getting a job. Being illiterate in this day and age is unacceptable and should not be tolerated. You want welfare, go to classes. There will always be some people with learning difficulties, I'm not talking about them - I'm talking about the average person who left school early, can't fill in a form and now moans that the government won't give them everything.

- Unemployed youth/people who have never had a job need to learn from the bottom up - so yes, you get a trainee wage, not a fully experienced way - stop pretending the world owes you a living - we all had to learn our craft - you are not being exploited - you are being taught a profession/trade/skill. Suck it up, learn the job and then you will get an experienced person's wage.

- Bring back national service - the young people today cannot take instruction, cannot dress appropriately, cannot speak properly and can't function without a phone in their hands (my own daughter included). Learn a skill, take instruction, learn how to work in a team, get fit (no drugs or drink), no anxiety (too tired to be anxious), learn to speak to your peers, not via text, how respect for others and earn respect for yourself.

- Three strikes and you're out - no more 35 convictions, sob story etc, the fe*kers have the elderly living in fear in their houses - no means no and throw them in jail - I'd rather pay them to stay in jail than pay them social welfare, pay for their probation officers and probation reports, pay for their substance abuse counselling, give them a medical card etc. Lets not make being a thieving druggy a profession, cut them off at the legs, so to speak.

couple of midfielders with a bit of flair be nice

And a striker who doesn't require GPS.

Blah..blah..blah..blah..

One. 1. A haon.

Singular.

FFS. Since I decided the church should keep the schools, my new singular thing I'd change about Ireland would be to tag idiots with a tattoo on their foreheads which would give everyone who's not branded with the mark-of-the-moron the legal right to kick stupid ufckers squarely between the legs, any time they want.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭Hamsterchops

Two words...

Car Insurance.

For many decades, since at least the 1980s, car insurance has been exorbitant in Ireland (ROI), and it's still exorbitant, and shows no sign or coming down. That's something I'd really like to see changed.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,421 ✭✭✭ToddyDoody

A certain proportion of the tax take goes directly into my bank account, for the common good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,196 ✭✭✭MrVestek

Yer Ma.

She hasn't called me in weeks and I'm gagging for more.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,884 ✭✭✭DuckSlice

Get rid of VRT

• Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

The weather.

Nothing else matters when the weathers good.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,271 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

*Better child care facilities for all, those earning more would contribute more*
    I don't have kids. Should I be paying for your inability to keep your dick in your pants?

No women ever want to have children? It's just lads with their dicks hanging out impregnating against a woman's will!?

Interesting world view

• Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭TuringBot47

A united Ireland first and foremost.

However, even that wouldn't fix the weather.

God no.
    The North is a liability.
    It would raise taxes and we wouldn't get cheap booze in Newry or cheaper postage shipping from the UK via parcel motel.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,564 ✭✭✭atilladehun

What a thread, all of After Hours summed up in one thread.

Sometimes threads like these make me wonder about people.

Prison time has been proven not to reduce crime. Jail sentences make good headlines, long or short. Stop paying attention to sensationalist headlines.

Parents of private schools pay higher tax and that money does not go to their childrens school. They then pay directly to the school. If this system is abolished their school will get more tax money and those parents will donate to their school.

All these hardline ideas that aren't carried out because they're proven not to work.

I agree with the accountability calls, better systems where actions can help more people without gaving to know soneone who knows soneone etc.

The calls for better politicians, which is responded to with we get the ones we vite for. Threads like these make me think if this this the scope of what normal people have to say then maybe our politicians are our best people. We're just a limited bunch.

My one thing to change is from a piece I heard on the radio a few years ago. There was a Phd in trinity based on early childhood parenting. They took volunteers who were pregnant and met them at regular intervals over something close to a decade. Each time they would give parenting advice that was age and issue appropriate. Anecdotal reports at the time were tremendous and in cases where they could compare the child to a sibling the younger child was smarter, happier & slimmer than their older sibling. In one case the older child was over weight and dropped out of school at 15. The younger child was top of the class and performing well at sports. This was in a poorer area.

My one thing would be quality parenting support for 2-3 generations that would fix many of our social issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

Where shall I start?

- All teachers/doctors/nurses have to work in the system for 2 years before getting their papers so they can't flit off to usa/dubai/australia as soon as they qualify - we'd never run out of doctors/nurses/teachers then.

- Retired teachers cannot work as relief teachers/exam hall checkers (?) etc - leave the jobs for the young, new teachers. They can do grinds.

- Public service employees should not get extra paid benefits that every other employee in the country public/private doesn't get like sick pay, paid maternity leave, 5 year "need to find myself breaks" etc. They have a job for life - that should be enough - they shouldn't get more benefits.

- Tell travellers once and for all that they aren't a special ethnic group - they are a bunch of useless, lazy, thieving, uneducated people. I'm sick of funding their lifestyle.

- All social welfare recipients must do a reading/writing/maths test to ensure that you are capable of getting a job. Being illiterate in this day and age is unacceptable and should not be tolerated. You want welfare, go to classes. There will always be some people with learning difficulties, I'm not talking about them - I'm talking about the average person who left school early, can't fill in a form and now moans that the government won't give them everything.

- Unemployed youth/people who have never had a job need to learn from the bottom up - so yes, you get a trainee wage, not a fully experienced way - stop pretending the world owes you a living - we all had to learn our craft - you are not being exploited - you are being taught a profession/trade/skill. Suck it up, learn the job and then you will get an experienced person's wage.

- Bring back national service - the young people today cannot take instruction, cannot dress appropriately, cannot speak properly and can't function without a phone in their hands (my own daughter included). Learn a skill, take instruction, learn how to work in a team, get fit (no drugs or drink), no anxiety (too tired to be anxious), learn to speak to your peers, not via text, how respect for others and earn respect for yourself.

- Three strikes and you're out - no more 35 convictions, sob story etc, the fe*kers have the elderly living in fear in their houses - no means no and throw them in jail - I'd rather pay them to stay in jail than pay them social welfare, pay for their probation officers and probation reports, pay for their substance abuse counselling, give them a medical card etc. Lets not make being a thieving druggy a profession, cut them off at the legs, so to speak.

Mandatory de-radicalization classes for middle-aged right wing men.

Activities will include yoga, mindfulness and confronting the difficult relationship they had with their judgemental father. Those refusing to cooperate with the programme will have their Sky Sports subscription taken away and their golf clubs confiscated.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,684 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

The social welfare system.
    Too many cnuts happily sitting on their holes week in, week out.
    Get up ta fcuk and get a job.

Make payments to long term unemployed and unemployed lone parents, dependent on recipients attending parenting/lifestyle classes. These classes to have onsite free childcare. Classes in literacy, personal care, cooking etc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,421 ✭✭✭ToddyDoody

Panthro wrote: »
    The social welfare system.
    Too many cnuts happily sitting on their holes week in, week out.
    Get up ta fcuk and get a job.

or better still, start their own business.

Advertisement