Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where do you live - Reviews! (All Accommodation Qs go here!)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭FlyingIrishMan

Brookfield is very nice, and quiet. Only problem is it's distance from UL. It's a 20min walk. There's a free shuttle bus that runs back and forth every 20mins or so, but it can be pretty unreliable. If you have a bike it's not too bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭jamo2oo9

iLaura wrote: »
    In a word; expensive.
    You pay almost twice the amount for on campus than off campus, and a lot of the on campus villages can be very noisey, especially Plassey

If you want something nice, Plassey isn't the place to go to as the buildings are rather bad and it's also very noisy.

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭VanishingActs

I'm in Troy this semester for the first time. It's not perfect but I really like it so far and haven't really experienced much noise yet. Maybe an hour or so of music on Tues/Thurs but nothing crazy. There is also a free bus in and out to college. There's only three in the house which is great and two of the rooms have en-suites. I think I'll probably stay in Troy next year too, I will definitely never go back to Plassey and can't afford the other on-campus options.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,009 Mod ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

iLaura wrote: »
    In a word; expensive.
    You pay almost twice the amount for on campus than off campus, and a lot of the on campus villages can be very noisey, especially Plassey

For Dromroe, it's about €120 a week. I think Thomond and Capp are roughly the same and Plassey and Kilmurry are cheaper (don't have figures to hand).

To be fair, all bills are included, and 24 hour security, so it's not exactly an apples to apples comparison with off-campus houses that can be €50-€70 a week for example, but your are definitely paying a massive premium for convenience and comfort.

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭Midkemia

If you live in troy once you've paid everything off, is that it? There's no extra bills?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭pa limerick

Where the best village to stay if I'm going to be an incoming first year

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,009 Mod ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

Where the best village to stay if I'm going to be an incoming first year

General consensus:
    Plassey or Kilmurry for parties.
    Dromroe and Thomond for a mix of parties and actually being able to sleep the odd night.

TBH, I think they're all good for first years. You'll more than likely be living with all first years, so it's a great way of making friends quickly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 747 ✭✭✭Aragneer

So last semester I lived with internationals and they just messaged me back to say they got an extra 30e on top of their full deposit that they got back.

Does anybody know why this happened? Of course, we're ecstatic but just wanna know the reason :P

Aragneer wrote: »
    So last semester I lived with internationals and they just messaged me back to say they got an extra 30e on top of their full deposit that they got back.

Does anybody know why this happened? Of course, we're ecstatic but just wanna know the reason :P

If you're under the electricity charge that's built into your rent, they refund you the difference.

S'only happened me once. All other times it's been them taking money from me...

• Registered Users Posts: 18 darraghq52

Im hoping to be attending UL in September 2015 in first year, id be very outgoing and enjoy my fair share of parties ;) was wondering would you recommend staying on or off campus? and where would be the best place to stay

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,353 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Plassey or Kilmurry would be your best bet. Plassey would be best for parties based on 2014-15 year anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭Chris Martin

Agree with above two for on campus.
    Off campus, if you're going up with friends or know people up there, might advise Briarfield, Elm Park or College Court.
    All 3 areas are pretty student heavy although they are all residential areas so parties will be tolerated only to such an extent. Also landlords can be potluck. Can get a sound one or an out and out bast**d who'll try and get money out of you any way possible.
    You tend to get away with a lot more off campus though, depending what you want to do at your 'parties.'
    You'll be sh!t sick of them after a few months I'd say and when on a students budget, usually your choice of ale takes a hit as well, which may turn you off notion of parties all the more..
    I stayed in a built up area of Briarfield in a very cheap room for my second year and regretted it come R&G week..
    Depends what you can live with ultimately.. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭Anonymagician

So the accommodation applications for incoming students have closed before I got the chance to complete mine (had registered but not completed).

My question is, how likely do you think I am to get Kilmurry now? And what's the best course of action? Do I wait until August or chance giving them a ring on Monday? Cheers!

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭pa limerick

I'm the same I really wanted plassey, how likely is it that I will get a place there now?

• Registered Users Posts: 18 darraghq52

really the same as the two above,was wondering what my chances are now getting oncampus accommodation since iv missed the deadline?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,548 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

UL was a surprise choice for me all those years ago when I got my offer. I rang first thing on the day of the offers and got Kilmurry. I wasn't looking for any accommodation in particular though, which may have had an effect.

I was, and am, the most laid back person ever...
    Sadly it means I seldom get my first preferences.
    The pro of being laid back though is you're often completely indifferent.
    I few weeks after getting my offer, I applied for Plassey.
    Paid deposit and a few weeks later was told it was filled but there were places at Cappa. At the time I wasn't defecating bullions so I gave it a miss.
    I secured my accommodation the weekend before by first week.

The following year, I secured accommodation a week into the first semester, clearly not a person to learn by experience. Next year however I booked Groody miles in advance, kinda because I had to, which removed some of the excitement but what can you do.. :P

Reading above posts again, the deadline for on campus accommodation is in February?
    I'm sure for 1st years it's later than that though...
    I applied in August!
    How can you put money down for a course you don't know you've got yet?!

• Registered Users Posts: 10 username 2212

What is Troy like to stay in for an first year?? :)

Groody or Brookfield for a 1st year?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭onethreefive

I like Groody, there's a cycle lane the entire way to college thats off the road so its perfect. I was never in Brookfield so can't really say anything about it other than they are on the same road as groody so have the same bicycle lane into college.

I like Groody, there's a cycle lane the entire way to college thats off the road so its perfect. I was never in Brookfield so can't really say anything about it other than they are on the same road as groody so have the same bicycle lane into college.

is brookfield much further away than groody?

is brookfield much further away than groody?

3-4 mins further down the road. Not sure what the price differences are in Groody vs Brookfield. But I've been in both and I found Brookfield to be the nicer of the two.
    There's a free bus for Brookfield that runs every 25mins or so, but I'd still recommend having a bike.

Was offered a place in College Court by a friend but he's clueless to how the rent works. Do we pay the rent for the house during college days or do we have to pay rent for the 5 weeks off for Christmas and 1 week for Easter too?

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭Midkemia

Is it possible to get a house with just a 4 month lease?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭onethreefive

jamo2oo9 wrote: »
    Was offered a place in College Court by a friend but he's clueless to how the rent works. Do we pay the rent for the house during college days or do we have to pay rent for the 5 weeks off for Christmas and 1 week for Easter too?

My sister lived in a house there and as far as I know you pay for the entire college year including weeks off.

You'll have to pay for the full two semesters, regardless of whether you're in the house or not.
    Midkemia wrote: »
    Is it possible to get a house with just a 4 month lease?

Depends on the landlord really. If you can't get anyone that'll do a four month lease, you can always just go for Groody/Brookfield for one semester.

You'll have to pay for the full two semesters, regardless of whether you're in the house or not.

Depends on the landlord really. If you can't get anyone that'll do a four month lease, you can always just go for Groody/Brookfield for one semester.

Could I not get a 8-9 month lease then?

Could I not get a 8-9 month lease then?

8 - 9 months is the length of two semesters. Basically you'll have to pay rent weekly from the time you move in, until you move out, regardless of whether you're gone home for holidays.

Some landlords might do short leases for people only staying for one semester, but other than that it'll be a 9 month lease generally.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭bredacq

Did you find out whether Groody or Brookfield is a better choice for first years? Groody seems to be closer. Brookfield has Sky Sports ( I presume in each apparent but I'm not sure) but Brookfield isn't linked in the UL accommodation page whereas the others are. This makes me wonder if Brookfield isn't geared towards too many first years?
    Also Brookfield require a smaller deposit and administration fee than the others.

Advertisement