Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where do you live - Reviews! (All Accommodation Qs go here!)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 747 ✭✭✭Aragneer

sup_dude wrote: »
    I think, and don't quote me on this, that you have to replace everything with the same stuff they proved, so random glasses from Stables won't cut it.

Oh yeah, I know that one is true! But I believe I have seen the glasses they have in our apartments in town so I'll check them out.

Possibly take a glass to side by side check :P hahaha

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,009 Mod ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

Yeah, it does have to be identical to the ones that were there originally or they'll just toss them out and charge you for new ones according to someone who's worked for them in the past.

And on the Stables thing, a note to anyone who might not have read the fine print when signing your lease, they'll charge you if you leave any glasses from Stables or Scholars in your apartment when moving out.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭jamo2oo9

wnolan1992 wrote: »
    Yeah, it does have to be identical to the ones that were there originally or they'll just toss them out and charge you for new ones according to someone who's worked for them in the past.

And on the Stables thing, a note to anyone who might not have read the fine print when signing your lease, they'll charge you if you leave any glasses from Stables or Scholars in your apartment when moving out.

Who'd leave them behind? I'd take them home with me if I took any bar glass...

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,009 Mod ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

jamo2oo9 wrote: »
    Who'd leave them behind? I'd take them home with me if I took any bar glass...

You'd be surprised. I'm usually the last to leave in May and I generally get to take a nice few with me. that aren't mine. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭onethreefive

Does anyone know if I can make my landlord buy a dehumidifier for my room? The damp in my room is ridiculous. I have the windows open for hours everyday trying to stop it but its far too cold to have them open so much. I've just spent ages cleaning horrible black damp off my wall behind the headboard of my bed. :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

There's "dehumidifers" in the Eurogiant in the Parkway for €1.50. Not sure how effective they are but they might be a good start.

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭Beargrylls01

You are going to face this problem for the duration of your college degree, and to make life easier, just put aside a tenner a year and buy some cheap ones, have em all going at the same time, save yourself the hassle of arguing with the landlord who won't do anything anyways.

Does the accommodation office only focus on on campus accommodation or could I go to them and ask for advice on a problem I'm having in off campus accommodation? One corner of my room has damp, peeling paint and green speckled dots which I think is mould and it wont come off the wall. I know that there's going to be an argument with the landlord over this at the next inspection but there's nothing I can do. I don't dry clothes on radiators, I have the window open more than I'd even like to have it open and I use the heating everyday. It's also right behind the headboard of my bed so I don't know what I've been breathing in for a couple of months :( Going to scrape the money together to live on campus next year to hopefully avoid all of this :confused: The bottom of the bedroom door has also been damp since September and I think its getting worse :( Am I going to have to pay for paint to fix the peeling paint? Ah I'm so annoyed by this :o

• Registered Users Posts: 12,091 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Does the accommodation office only focus on on campus accommodation or could I go to them and ask for advice on a problem I'm having in off campus accommodation? One corner of my room has damp, peeling paint and green speckled dots which I think is mould and it wont come off the wall. I know that there's going to be an argument with the landlord over this at the next inspection but there's nothing I can do. I don't dry clothes on radiators, I have the window open more than I'd even like to have it open and I use the heating everyday. It's also right behind the headboard of my bed so I don't know what I've been breathing in for a couple of months :( Going to scrape the money together to live on campus next year to hopefully avoid all of this :confused: The bottom of the bedroom door has also been damp since September and I think its getting worse :( Am I going to have to pay for paint to fix the peeling paint? Ah I'm so annoyed by this :o
    I would suggest you approach the Welfare Officer in the SU with that.

I'm sure the Accommodation Office would give you advice, even if they just tell you to contact the PRTB.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,548 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

Did you tell your landlord about it before? Have you this in writing? Have you photos of it? I think your best bet is just dealing with PRTB directly if your landlord is giving bother or laying undue blame but you need proof that you have tried to solve the problem and that the damp is definitely there.

I'm taking pictures of it now and going to the landlord tomorrow. It's a place that has reviews on the internet for being a bit damp. Wish I read those before September :( The heating only works if we have the immersion on so it's even worse having to keep it on a lot :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 747 ✭✭✭Aragneer

I'm living in Plassey right now, just off of the holidays and I know five of my housemates have moved out (they were internationals). We now have two cleaners in. They are cleaning two of the rooms upstairs but also the kitchen AND the hall spaces, etc.

Is this going to come out of our deposit or is it purely for the internationals? Anyone have any ideas because our house was NOT dirty in the slightest when we left!

Aragneer wrote: »
    I'm living in Plassey right now, just off of the holidays and I know five of my housemates have moved out (they were internationals). We now have two cleaners in. They are cleaning two of the rooms upstairs but also the kitchen AND the hall spaces, etc.

Is this going to come out of our deposit or is it purely for the internationals? Anyone have any ideas because our house was NOT dirty in the slightest when we left!

I'm pretty sure it's a standard thing that they do every year. I could be wrong though.

Aragneer wrote: »

Happened when I was living with internationals too. They won't charge you for it.

Also, a note to anyone living in Dromroe who hasn't been back yet, you'll need to get a new key from reception. Apparently they changed them all over Christmas.

Anyone know of any non-student-y accommodation for September? Preferrably somewhere fairly close to UL and nice and not freezing...

Anyone know of any non-student-y accommodation for September? Preferrably somewhere fairly close to UL and nice and not freezing...

College Court? I'm not sure what you mean by non-student-y? :confused:

Not Elm Park basically I'd say. :P

Oaklawns or Milford Grange would be my recommendations from what little experience I have with off-campus accommodation.

• Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭irelandjoe

PM me. Currently rent houses to some Non-Students in the area.

As in I will not be a student next semester and don't really want to live in a crappy house anymore. I've lived in college court and at the top. House was freezing, walls were paper thin, landlord was a prick... :p
    Not Elm Park basically I'd say. :P

Oaklawns or Milford Grange would be my recommendations from what little experience I have with off-campus accommodation.

I forgot about Oaklawns, it seems nice enough. I was in Milford Grange and, although we admitted got the most run down looking house in our street (but the most amazing landlady), it was bitter cold and the house was falling apart with mismatched furniture from about 80 years ago :P

• Advertisement

As in I will not be a student next semester and don't really want to live in a crappy house anymore. I've lived in college court and at the top. House was freezing, walls were paper thin, landlord was a prick... :p

I forgot about Oaklawns, it seems nice enough. I was in Milford Grange and, although we admitted got the most run down looking house in our street (but the most amazing landlady), it was bitter cold and the house was falling apart with mismatched furniture from about 80 years ago :P

One thing I will say about Oaklawns (and this seems to be a common complaint) is the walls are paper thin. So yeah, be prepared to hear... noises. :P

I was living there in the summer last year and it seemed like a really nice estate. A lot of families and older people from what I saw, which is exactly what I wanted.

One thing I will say about Oaklawns (and this seems to be a common complaint) is the walls are paper thin. So yeah, be prepared to hear... noises. :P

I was living there in the summer last year and it seemed like a really nice estate. A lot of families and older people from what I saw, which is exactly what I wanted.

I don't mind thin walls as long as it's fairly warm and the housemates don't throw houseparties every week. Speaking of housemates, what's the chances of getting all of them to be germophobes who keep the house spotless, are very quiet and are barely ever there? :D

Speaking of housemates, what's the chances of getting all of them to be germophobes who keep the house spotless, are very quiet and are barely ever there? :D

You'll only ever get 2/3 there. Best case scenario is a mute germaphobe who's there 24/7. :P

You'll only ever get 2/3 there. Best case scenario is a mute germaphobe who's there 24/7. :P

I'd settle for a mute homesick germophobe who has to go home every weekend :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Mell2222

Once you place your deposit on UL accommodation and put your 5 villages in order is it possible to change if made an error? I put down cappavilla instead of kilmurry and wondering if I should email/ring then to change my first pick?

Mell2222 wrote: »
    Once you place your deposit on UL accommodation and put your 5 villages in order is it possible to change if made an error? I put down cappavilla instead of kilmurry and wondering if I should email/ring then to change my first pick?

Give them a ring and I'm sure they'll sort you out. They're generally sound enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭burrenguy

Hopefully someone can give me a hand with this. I'm looking for accommodation with an eye to attending UL starting September 2015. I'll possibly be going for a place with two other people I know.
    I'm looking for somewhere that won't break the bank but is relatively comfortable. I'm not really into partying or drinking so I don't want to be stuck inside somewhere where there'll be lots of noise. Where would people recommend? Thanks...

• Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭iLaura

burrenguy wrote: »
    Hopefully someone can give me a hand with this. I'm looking for accommodation with an eye to attending UL starting September 2015. I'll possibly be going for a place with two other people I know.
    I'm looking for somewhere that won't break the bank but is relatively comfortable. I'm not really into partying or drinking so I don't want to be stuck inside somewhere where there'll be lots of noise. Where would people recommend? Thanks...

I'd say Troy/Groody/Courtyard/Brookfield would be the quietest places, and they're also not terribly expensive. Groody and Troy can be quite noisy and have a good few parties until 11-12 and then people go out. I havent any experience with being in Courtyard at night but I wouldnt say it'd be too noisy and have lots of parties. Could be wrong with that though

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭burrenguy

iLaura wrote: »
    I'd say Troy/Groody/Courtyard/Brookfield would be the quietest places, and they're also not terribly expensive. Groody and Troy can be quite noisy and have a good few parties until 11-12 and then people go out. I havent any experience with being in Courtyard at night but I wouldnt say it'd be too noisy and have lots of parties. Could be wrong with that though

Thanks! I was looking at Troy and Groody alright. Would you know anything about how the on campus accommodation would be?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭iLaura

burrenguy wrote: »
    Thanks! I was looking at Troy and Groody alright. Would you know anything about how the on campus accommodation would be?

In a word; expensive.
    You pay almost twice the amount for on campus than off campus, and a lot of the on campus villages can be very noisey, especially Plassey

Advertisement