Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Chartered Engineer 2016

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭davyd07

camroc76 wrote: »
    Comments back already...CPD issues ! :rolleyes:

Sorry to hear that. What were the issues highlighted? Does that mean you will be deferred to next submission then?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 130 ✭✭camroc76

Comments came with receipt last Tuesday. The table needed a few amendments and the required hours question arose. Re-submitted the table as required, still lacking in the hours though.

Fingers crossed !

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Comments came with receipt last Tuesday. The table needed a few amendments and the required hours question arose. Re-submitted the table as required, still lacking in the hours though.

Fingers crossed !

Have you considered all forms of CPD? How many hours are you out?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 130 ✭✭camroc76

Yeah, shy 4 hours in total, considered the whole shooting gallery of options ! my current company are tight as hell on the monies and well CPD and training do not make the grade (or even discussed).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,871 ✭✭✭budhabob

Yeah, shy 4 hours in total, considered the whole shooting gallery of options ! my current company are tight as hell on the monies and well CPD and training do not make the grade (or even discussed).

Have you included the likes of site visits, mentoring etc in terms of CPD? or even giving presentations? It all counts towards CPD.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Doenst have to be paid for cpd. Look up the EI guide on what constitutes cpd.

If you are only 4 hours short include things like preparation of your CEng report and attendance at the interview. Thats worth at least 4 hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭J82

What was the minimum?

I had 75 hrs over past two years.. as far as I could see the there was no minimum hours set...just a statement of 'five days cpd over previous two years'.

So what is a 'day'? My working day is 7.5 hours.

J82 wrote: »
    What was the minimum?

I had 75 hrs over past two years.. as far as I could see the there was no minimum hours set...just a statement of 'five days cpd over previous two years'.

So what is a 'day'? My working day is 7.5 hours.

Your day is based on your normal working day. I usually work of 35 hours over the last 2 years

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,868 ✭✭✭Alkers

godtabh wrote: »
    Your day is based on your normal working day. I usually work of 35 hours over the last 2 years

The CPD guide you just posted mentions an 8 hour day!

it must have changed since the introduced the 2 year cpd before becoming chartered. It used to be your working day

• Advertisement

Got acknowledgement today. It just says that it will be processed prior to the next deadline if approved by the Board of Examiners, and they will get back to me in due course.

Strange how some people seem to be getting comments with acknowledgement and others dont.

davyd07 wrote: »
    Got acknowledgement today. It just says that it will be processed prior to the next deadline if approved by the Board of Examiners, and they will get back to me in due course.

Strange how some people seem to be getting comments with acknowledgement and others dont.

Based on what has been stated above i think this indicates that you have passed the first hurdle in terms of meeting the objectives. I got a similar response to you.

budhabob wrote: »
    Based on what has been stated above i think this indicates that you have passed the first hurdle in terms of meeting the objectives. I got a similar response to you.

Maybe that is the case. It seems like it will be a long wait this time around.

Its been reviewed by a panel and then needs to be rubber stamped by the Board of Examiners (is that the official term used? ) at which stage you will be invited for an interview.

Its been reviewed by a panel and then needs to be rubber stamped by the Board of Examiners (is that the official term used? ) at which stage you will be invited for an interview.

I hope you are correct. Do you have previous experience of this godtabh?

I did it a few years ago and have been in the building a few times for events while the review was going on. EI are very open about the process

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 371 ✭✭Catxscotch

I still havn't received an acknowledgement, Should I be worried? I posted the application on the Tuesday before the deadline,I didn't bother going registered post as I made sure to get it weighed and pay full postage required.

Catxscotch wrote: »
    I still havn't received an acknowledgement, Should I be worried? I posted the application on the Tuesday before the deadline,I didn't bother going registered post as I made sure to get it weighed and pay full postage required.

I'd ring them

Panic over, just received an e-mail similar to the one above, that it's under review and they will be in touch. Fingers crossed..

• Advertisement

Got an e-mail confirming I have progressed to interview stage..Yeah!!

Congratulations! When did you receive the email? Did you get a date for interview?

Same as that. No date for interview as of uet.

Received e-mail yesterday afternoon, no date as of yet:
    "Interview sessions will take place up until the next deadline. All our interviewers are volunteers and we run interviews in batches by discipline. Not all candidates in the same discipline/company will be called to the same round of interviews."

I presume this is due to high volume of applications this time around? That means we could be waiting until June..

"Interview sessions will take place up until the next deadline. All our interviewers are volunteers and we run interviews in batches by discipline. Not all candidates in the same discipline/company will be called to the same round of interviews."

I presume this is due to high volume of applications this time around? That means we could be waiting until June..

I'd say it will take a while to get through them all surely. What discipline are you in?

Civil-Potable water treatment and supply

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭J82

"Interview sessions will take place up until the next deadline. All our interviewers are volunteers and we run interviews in batches by discipline. Not all candidates in the same discipline/company will be called to the same round of interviews.".

Yep, I got the same email! No dates yet but last year there was a round of interviews towards middle and end of May. The volume this year could affect that I guess.

My interview was in May after a January submission. Had to reschedule a couple of times due to exams and holidays.

My interview last year was around the 24th of April I think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 474 ✭✭The Megaphone

Two years ago now - submission went in at the end of January - Interview on the 23th of March!!!!

In general what sort of notice do you get prior to interview?

• Advertisement

budhabob wrote: »
    In general what sort of notice do you get prior to interview?

Enough that you can rearrange if the date doesnt suit

A week or two I seem to remember

Got mine today too. Difficult to predict how long it will take to arrange the interviews. Time to begin the preparation anyway I suppose!

Anybody have any notes on the standard type of generic questions that may arise at interview stage then?

Anybody have any notes on the standard type of generic questions that may arise at interview stage then?

its not that type of interview

its not that type of interview

My understanding is that the interview consists of a 10 minute presentation on your report followed by a question and answer session based on your presentation, report and experience for the most part, but that there are always general questions relating to the profession / industry /recent developments towards the end of the interview. It is those questions to which I refer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 474 ✭✭The Megaphone

My understanding is that the interview consists of a 10 minute presentation on your report followed by a question and answer session based on your presentation, report and experience for the most part, but that there are always general questions relating to the profession / industry /recent developments towards the end of the interview. It is those questions to which I refer.

Not sure what your background is, but if civils (roads), here's a few points:

1. Be aware of the Safety, Health, and Welfare at Work (Construction) Regulations 2013.
    2. Contract Administration whether in a role as a RE or Project Manager - one of the most important things is Claims - so responding to RFI's in a timely fashion and record keeping is important.
    3. If you have stated that you have any design experience - know what standards are current, i.e, NRA TD 19/09 - Safety Barriers.
    4. If you have worked abroad - have a few points on notable differences between working in Ireland and wherever.
    5. Be prepared for the 'where do you see yourself in 5 years question'.
    6. THE MOST IMPORTANT POINT - if you don't know the answer to a question, then tell them you don't know - do not try and bluff it or you are finished.

Also in relation to the presentation - bring handouts with loads of pics. You'll find they will spend more time looking at the pictures than at you, which helps ease things.

Yes but there arent generic questions to be asked. Its a competence based interview so I suggest that you google the format of this type of question.

Also with your 10 min presentation prepare something based on the competences. Leave an open ended statement that is likely to lead to questions. You can then prepare answers to the anticipated questions.

Also in relation to the presentation - bring handouts with loads of pics. You'll find they will spend more time looking at the pictures than at you, which helps ease things.

Be careful with this. Double check the regs but you are not allowed to bring anything than an A4 and previously you werent able to introduce anything that wasnt already submitted with your report. Some people can be sticklers for this.

I bound A3 drawings/photos/etc and folded them in to my report A4 size. One of the interviews call me a smart arse for doing this but showed innovation

A3 visual aids are permitted according the the regulations....I believe (on phone).

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Retiro

They are always very interested in the level of responsibility you have within your organisation.
    For each role or task you perform, let them know if any people report to you or are dependent on you in any way.

• Advertisement

Thank you for the responses.

I have a feeling that the Building Control (Amendment) Regulations 2014 may be a topical item for discussion also.

I think bluffing is a no go. If I don't know, I would be inclined to say so.

A3 copies are allowed as per the Guidelines, unless something has changed.

Regarding the presentation, are you standing or seated? I presume it is seated across a table?

I think bluffing is a no go. If I don't know, I would be inclined to say so.

That's exactly what they are looking for. Explain why you can't answer the question and suggest alternative response

I presume the radio silence is due to nobody getting a date for their interview yet?

No word yet. Anybody hear of any movement?

I haven't heard anything as of yet.

Nothing yet, still waiting for the all clear for the review stage!

Earlier question, I was seated across a table last year.

Dónal wrote: »
    Nothing yet, still waiting for the all clear for the review stage!

Earlier question, I was seated across a table last year.

I received confirmation my report got through the review stage alright. Apparently there were over 600 applications so I imagine responses are very staggered.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 goldy locks

I would suggest that you check your junk mail/ spam mail folder if you haven't heard back yet. My acknowledgement went there and I missed it for about two weeks. Otherwise perhaps phone EI and enquire.

The interviews have started, I had mine last week!

I already phoned them a week ago, and was told they hadn't reviewed mine yet.

How'd your interview go?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22 goldy locks

Ah, at least your still in the running.

The interview was tough (But fair), and TBH I'll be pleasantly surprised if I gain accreditation base on the interview.

Advertisement