Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Last cut of the year?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,115 ✭✭✭monkeynuz

Effects wrote: »
    How come?

Because it rarely gets cold enough here.

Last winter it was 13ish degrees on Christmas day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,818 ✭✭✭podge018

[PHP][/PHP]
    Not necessarily, but you'd want it to be fairly dry and mild for a few days before and mild after.

sewed it that day (22 October) and nothing bursting through yet. It's getting enough water anyway....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,703 ✭✭✭corks finest

I find the mower cleans up all the leaves chops them and there is a little bit of grass clippings in the mix. It makes great mulch/leaf mold

Do the same,I also pull the boundary grass etc ,chick all into the mower path instead of strumming

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,984 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

The outlook for grass cutting is pretty poor. :( Hard to see when we'll get two dry days back to back.

It has rained for about 36hrs constantly with me. To add to already soaking grass from near daily rain for so long.

And with the sharp downturn in temps, I might have done the last cut of the winter.

NIMAN wrote:
    It has rained for about 36hrs constantly with me. To add to already soaking grass from near daily rain for so long.

Final cut yesterday in Cork ,crisp morning,bit soggy but gathering all the leaves mowed them aswell ,,,,,,guess what more shagging leaves again this morning

My trees are on the last of their leaves, another few days of wind and they will be done.

NIMAN wrote:
    My trees are on the last of their leaves, another few days of wind and they will be done.

Hopefully,I haven't any in the front but my bloody neighbours ones fly into my garden constantly,but she's v nice etc so wouldn't dream of upsetting her -annoying though

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,145 ✭✭✭✭beertons

Topped my lawn there, and gathered up alot of leaves. Won't be the last of it, still plenty more to fall in the estate and blow into my front garden.

Had a few customers ask for a December cut. Will do them as long as I dont feel I will wreck the place leaving tracks. A slow down in the amount of leaves to be gathered and the trees are almost bare.

I dont think it will be as mild this winter. This year, returning to some gardens in March after the last cut in November, some lawns had 9 inches of grass easily on them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

our done last.saturday. beautiful dry day. grass was shortish so its looking well now. shud do us to march.

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭Curly head

Last cut yesterday. Looks good now. Ride on washed n cleaned n ready for its annual service.

Curly head wrote: »
    Last cut yesterday. Looks good now. Ride on washed n cleaned n ready for its annual service.

I'll be cutting grass in 2 hours and 33 minutes, and later this week, mower service in December and then continue cutting up to christmas.

Your surely organised:)

Curly head wrote: »
    Your surely organised:)

I try to be :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,047 ✭✭✭Truckermal

Is it not bad for the grass when the weather is so cold cutting it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭thekooman

Truckermal wrote: »
    twill be grand. i cut ours yesterday. might even need another cut

Truckermal wrote: »

Not at all, much colder and I would at least wait for the frost to thaw in the afternoon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,047 ✭✭✭Truckermal

monkeynuz wrote: »
    Not at all, much colder and I would at least wait for the frost to thaw in the afternoon.

Cheers folks have the whole lot done in just over 2 hour's!

https://tse2.mm.bing.net/th?id=OGC.9808ef8a1edfe2929600029d370f127a&pid=Api&rurl=https%3a%2f%2fmedia.giphy.com%2fmedia%2fsQ6PsXCPL8tGg%2fgiphy.gif&ehk=mRO%2bKlGzXkhsgs9S0YwHYzIoDd8CMtpMioy1aGayNBk%3d ride on cleaned fo season after what I thought was the last cut last week but the bloody stuff is still growing ����

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 786 ✭✭✭aw

I can say with some certainty that I have done my last cut of 2019. Ran around with the mower set fairly high yesterday to tidy it up and take off some lingering leaves.
    Some soft parts, but in decent condition after the year.
    Now to get the mower serviced in January and get ready for the next season!

Anyone still cutting?

• Advertisement

aw wrote: »
    I can say with some certainty that I have done my last cut of 2019. Ran around with the mower set fairly high yesterday to tidy it up and take off some lingering leaves.
    Some soft parts, but in decent condition after the year.
    Now to get the mower serviced in January and get ready for the next season!

Anyone still cutting?

Yes, and will be on the 18th and 23rd.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 786 ✭✭✭aw

Have you much growth in the grass still?

Na

aw wrote: »
    Have you much growth in the grass still?

A little, but mainly to keep it tidy and striped for Christmas.

Normally cut my own grass again middle of January especially if we have a mild december like last year.

Na

?

Out cutting a lawn for a holiday home right now, striped and ready to welcome them back for christmas :)

Haven't had the need for the last 4 weeks or more.....seems to have stopped growing.

Looks like its time to pack the mower away for the winter.

NIMAN wrote: »
    Haven't had the need for the last 4 weeks or more.....seems to have stopped growing.

Looks like its time to pack the mower away for the winter.

Nearly finished my customers lawn, just have to go round the edges with the shears and it'll look perfect. I then just have to do mine on monday.

I cut the front there before the drizzle - had grown a good bit since October.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

Got mine done yesterday - just a shave to tidy it up a bit. Decent growth since the last cut early November all the same. Ridiculously warm out for the time of year. Wasn't long ditching the fleece when I got going.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Might do mine this weekend, I'd like to see the sun and wind get some time on it beforehand.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,145 ✭✭✭✭beertons

Thought I'd get out to mine today, alas too late home from work. Off tomorrow though, will get the crossed lines back on it soon.

Just cut mine yesterday, fierce growth in it, can i ask also is there anything i can do for the lawn in terms of preparing over the winter for the spring, should i be adding some feed? ,Thanks.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

Just cut mine yesterday, fierce growth in it, can i ask also is there anything i can do for the lawn in terms of preparing over the winter for the spring, should i be adding some feed? ,Thanks.

Bit late for that now. Autumn is the time for autumn feed when the side-shoots and roots are growing more than the vertical shoots. Hold off til the spring at this stage - scarify it in April and then feed it with a spring/summer weed/feed. When the temps get up in may then treat any moss with either Iron (cheap, needs raking when dead) or Mo-Bacter (expensive, eats the moss so leaves nothing behind).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,441 ✭✭✭blackbox

I cut some of mine yesterday - technically the FIRST cut of the year!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭un5byh7sqpd2x0

Is it too early to cut the grass?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

Have a care would you go cutting.manys the big frost we got in February and we still in January.youl be long enough cutting the fcuker all summer.
    The only thing to do with a lawn in January and February is stay off it according to the old timers.

Have a care would you go cutting.manys the big frost we got in February and we still in January.youl be long enough cutting the fcuker all summer.
    The only thing to do with a lawn in January and February is stay off it according to the old timers.

I drove by a house one new years day and there was a woman cutting her front garden.
    I'm looking forward to getting the mower out but I know I'll be sick of it soon enough :D

If it needs cutting then cut it

• Advertisement

Load of rubbish, if someone wants to tidy their grass then let them do it, with the mild winters we're having grass is growing more than it used to November - March.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Not at all. My grandfather and uncle were old time professional gardeners and they cut if dry in Winter. As Gerry Daly say: Grass in Ireland never really stops growing, it only slows down. If the ground is dry, cut when needed. Just keep winter cuts high.

Wish I could get o mine but it's much too wet to do so.

Not at all. My grandfather and uncle were old time professional gardeners and they cut if dry in Winter. As Gerry Daly say: Grass in Ireland never really stops growing, it only slows down. If the ground is dry, cut when needed. Just keep winter cuts high.

Wish I could get o mine but it's much too wet to do so.

Surely depends on soil types and site locations though.a place below in Wexford might want cutting while a place above in the likes of belmullet and a blackbird would be leaving tracks with it logged with water.
    I’d never cut until Patrick’s week in March and I’d finish up late September early October.ive enough to be doing without being a slave to a lawn aswell.
    Lawnmower gets stripped and power washed end of season here and deck etc are painted in winter.
    No harm leaving a bit of length on it for the winter in my books.
    If it was bad enough come spring and you could turn in a lock of geese or a few light ewes.they wouldn’t be long with trimming it

Surely depends on soil types and site locations though.a place below in Wexford might want cutting while a place above in the likes of belmullet and a blackbird would be leaving tracks with it logged with water.
    I’d never cut until Patrick’s week in March and I’d finish up late September early October.ive enough to be doing without being a slave to a lawn aswell.
    Lawnmower gets stripped and power washed end of season here and deck etc are painted in winter.
    If it was bad enough come spring and you could turn in a lock of geese or a few light ewes.they wouldn’t be long with trimming it

About as southwest as you can get here and I cut up 23rd december and have already cut mine again I'll be cutting again in February unless we get a very cold snap.

About as southwest as you can get here and I cut up 23rd december and have already cut mine again I'll be cutting again in February unless we get a very cold snap.

I’m in Galway and manys the bad frost and snow we had in February here.ill stick to Patrick’s week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

I specifically said if the ground is dry.
    And a very high cut.

• Advertisement

They’re after promising snow for Tuesday

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,866 ✭✭✭standardg60

They’re after promising snow for Tuesday

God you remind me of JM Synge!

I’m in Galway and manys the bad frost and snow we had in February here.ill stick to Patrick’s week.

It would have to be a very hard frost to cause any trouble, I cut some grass in december that was hard with frost as I cut it, it has already grown 1"

I specifically said if the ground is dry.
    And a very high cut.

It can still be cut pretty short in the winter, I'll perhaps raise it 1 notch on the walk behind to allow for soft ground.

It can still be cut pretty short in the winter, I'll perhaps raise it 1 notch on the walk behind to allow for soft ground.

What’s the need thought to cut it short in winter?whats the advantages compared to leaving the ground rest and having no traffic on it during winter.
    Youl have nothing but moss after time I reckon and compacted soils.

• Advertisement
Advertisement