Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sunrise Running

Options
15678911»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

Happy to see you running again! Did you meet your coach in Banna?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Happy to see you running again! Did you meet your coach in Banna?

Thanks. No, hopefully sometime over the summer

• Registered Users Posts: 6,621 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

Jesus I wouldn’t do 560 push-ups in a year :(

Saw your Strava run/swim alright :)

Take it handy on the come back

TbL

Jesus I wouldn’t do 560 push-ups in a year :(

Saw your Strava run/swim alright :)

Take it handy on the come back

TbL

I must be a sucker for punishment. Physio, Vaccine and Dentist lined up over the next 3 days :eek: Dunno how I managed that situation :confused::rolleyes:

Recovery Week 5 Transition back to running continues
    Life really got it the way this week but that happens. Overall 22 miles running is progress but still working on the knee :(

Mon: Easy 3.29m @7:52 & 32min S&C
    Tue: Easy 25min Row. Missed my only window to run :(
    Wed: Easy 3.71m @7:45 & Physio
    Thu: Easy 3.23m @8:10 & 22min S&C before the vaccine jab
    Fri: Easy to steady 5.17m @7:46 (progression) and a day off push ups
    Sat: Rest
    Sun: Steasy 6.41m including 5min LT @6:10

Niggles: The hip has been ok. No trouble running. The knee is on/off. Sitting for long periods or having my leg curled under me for a while, its sore. Last run of the week it started sore for the first mile, then eased off. Ok during the LT section but sore afterwards, before easing off again by the time I got home. Thinking about getting a massage gun on the Amazon Prime deals. Anyone use one?

Physio: He tested my leg strength off a 9 inch box again. 4 weeks ago I couldn't do a single rep on my left leg. This time I did 23, surpassing my target of 10 reps. He was pleased with the progress and has challenged me to do a pistol squat for the next session (One leg full squat to the floor keeping your heel on the ground). The knee complained for the first few reps but once I got gong it was fine. He said its a tendon issue and when the tendon is taking the load it strains. As soon as the glute is activated and works the knee calms down. Lots more work to do.

Running: Coach had me doing short easy runs with just 5 mins LT at the tail end of the week. I honestly struggled to maintain 6:10 pace for 5 minutes and my heart rate hit 93%, way over LT. It was depressing. Not unlike that first hard run you attempt after a too long xmas lay off :rolleyes: Felt completely laboured. It didn't help that I am 6kg heavier than the 10k I did a month ago. I'm sure it will come back. Just need to be sensible and patient about it!

1,142/2,600 miles (1,838/4,200 km)
    4,823/10k press ups | 800/2k pull ups
    147/172 days active | 137 Run | 24 Row | 37 S&C | 25 Yoga/Pilates

• Advertisement

It'll come back quicker than you realise. You have the right temperament for this type of stuff so I wouldn't worry too much.
    Get that diet in order though - makes it all the harder with added kg's!

You are probably right. The rowing and S&C keeping me going. Diet was more work stress related lately. Not moving enough during the day, late nights etc.. My problem is just being mindful about what and how I eat and to eat more intuitively.

Perseverance :)
    ?url=http%3A%2F%2Fewscripps-brightspot.s3.amazonaws.com%2Fcb%2F81%2F4439964a496288b7b05016bc8784%2Fkeni-harrison.jfif

Determination :)
    ?url=https%3A%2F%2Fcalifornia-times-brightspot.s3.amazonaws.com%2F64%2F66%2F7b3d58e76faaa6e822c1f8c3dc65%2F48b42cca3e0e4db5b4866f3462856564

Last recovery week?
    Overall just 21 miles but still, 21 miles of running :) Some around here do that on a Sunday but comparison is the thief of joy.

Mon: 30min Row & 25min S&C
    Tue: Easy 4.44 @7:59
    Wed: Rest
    Thu: 6.31m inc 25min Tempo @6:55
    Fri: Recovery 4.1m @8:36
    Sun: 6.66m inc 5min hard at 6:05

A splash of intensity this week. It all felt awful. No surprising. The humidity, the extra weight but thankfully no excuses. Just did what I was told :)

The niggles are not fully gone. The knee complains for the first mile then mellow out. I though I felt it mellowing out just a fraction earlier this week. Anyway, next week its onto some varying intensities to see how the knee responds. Apart from that, I have a longing for a swim and I need to keep up the S&C. Dance like nobody is watching, train like DCM is going ahead.. :rolleyes:

1,163/2,600 miles (1,871/4,200 km)
    5,190/10k press ups | 820/2k pull ups
    152/179 days active | 141 Run | 25 Row | 38 S&C | 25 Yoga/Pilates

Nearly there, then not there..
    Some varying intensities to see how knee responds

Mon: 36min 8k easy Row
    Tue: 6.24m easy inc 5x20s strides
    Wed: 5.17m easy @7:50
    Thu: 7.73m inc 3x15s strides & 2x (3,2,1min)
    Fri: 4.34m recovery @8:34
    Sun: 6.35m inc 10min @6:53

Total 29.8 miles & 8,000m rowing

Happy to get through 5 runs this week and a small bump in volume. On Tuesday I blasted the strides with good form on my toes at 3:57-4:03 pace, feeling awesome :D On Thursday I ran short reps at decreasing 6:10-5:58 pace but it felt completely laboured. My wisdom tooth giving me grief and just lacked energy. By Friday my knee was not happy after 4 days running. Total meh recovery plod. On Sunday I did 10 mins steady @6:53 and felt pretty good.

Overall the wisdom tooth just kept getting worse. Constant pain killers just to sleep. Seeing the Dentist in the morning because I'm sick of my entire face hurting :( Running, niggle wise the knee felt better this week but annoyingly the left hip issue resurfaced :mad: Talk about feeling old :rolleyes::( My own fault for not doing any S&C, although I did the warm up routine before every run. Just no winning since that damn 10k :cool:

This week more of the same volume but a small step up in volume of intensity.

1,193/2,600 miles (1,920/4,200 km)
    5,400/10k press ups | 880/2k pull ups
    158/186 days active | 146 Run | 26 Row | 38 S&C | 25 Yoga/Pilates

Transition back to running week X/Y

Mon: I ran easy

Tue: I didn't run and I wanted to

Wed: I didn't run and I didn't want to

Thurs: I didn't run and I didn't want to

Fri: I ran 2x(3',3',2') hard

Sat: I didn't run but played some basketball

Sun: I ran 15' tempo

I also did a pile of pushups and pull ups

• Advertisement

I originally stated this log would be my last one and it remains so. I'll try to resurrect it on this awful new platform and post when I can. I deleted another app to keep some balance. Unfortunately the content will be mostly non running related for a while but one of my simple missions is to get back to some sort of running, if not for events but just the joy of it. My only running related swag from Santa was a 🏃‍♂️ 🐕 lead!

My reason for being awol for the last 6 months was less about injury and more to do with time. I don't just blog here, I follow others too and try to engage the forum once in a while. Between a busy job, college, a new dog, kids activities 7-10x weekly something had to give. Netflix bit the bullet too.

My reason for returning is I just miss the banter and the characters around here! With all the academic reading this might be a good breakaway.

So running, what's up? It's a knee problem. Did the usual physio and S&C but there is something more sinister than just a running strain as it annoys me sleeping and I feel ancient getting up after sitting cross legged for time. However, it's perfectly fine on the rower or stepping up and down a box! Bottom line is physio recommended an ultrasound which I've put on the long finger. I'll make it happen in the coming weeks. Meanwhile, since moving feels better than not, I'll try a run this week and report back 🙂 In the back of my mind, I'd dearly love to run sub3 again.

Good to see you back here man. If anyone can make it back, someone with your discipline can.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,427 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Welcome back. What are you studying, and how are you finding it?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,181 ✭✭✭healy1835

Nice to see this log back. I've no doubt sub 3 and beyond is within your wheelhouse if the body plays ball 💪

Thanks Lads 👍

Murph, it's a 2yr online Masters of Science. About 10-15hrs a week. The main thing is the time management. Then it's switching off from work and switching on to academics, challenging, enjoyable but tiring. Balance with family is the main reason I cut off most apps and TV. Can't even get through the Sunday Paper. Finally it's screens. Office job, WFH, and online course. Print more articles than necessary but my eyes get so tired. Another reason for limiting social apps while I do this. Its temporary. 25% done 🙂

The only running this week has been some short sprints with the kids and dog. Generally OK but I'll try a lap of the block (2k) this week.

Enjoying the switch off the last few days. Piled on a few kg but know now just how to lose it over Jan-Mar. 1k TT at a capped rate on the rower today followed by 50min easy. 9,000 push ups and 2,000 pull ups this year help the rowing but I don't exactly look like a marathon runner!

Early this week I did a 11x45 sec max session (and nearly puked) and a 30r20 (30 min rating 20spm) on the rower. Apart from that, eating, the dog, the kids I've almost finished a non academic read, built the LEGO Titanic and Watched Season 2 of the Mandalorian again before the Book of Boba Fett started last night. Finally know what happened after the Sarlacc Pit!

Happy New Year Folks!

Firstly, thank you for the nomination and votes on the Awards Forum. Really surprised to be part of it but Murph deserves that gong.

After 12 weeks, or 3 months, of "conservative treatment", aka no running I headed out for what would have felt like a short easy run today. 4.27 miles and a lovely mild breezy day to start fresh. Just ran as I felt, focused on running tall. The knee is not better but for the second mile, downtown, wind behind me, beats in my ear, I almost forgot about it. Simply loved and appreciated running. A small lap of the bridges, thronged with New Years walkers, dogs and pesky electric scooters, and I was still glad to be running. The last mile uptown into the wind was a little breathless and the knee complained. I walked for 5 mins before joining the kids in the garden for some football.

Soon afterwards I did the bones of 10k gradual easy progression on the rower, stretched and then iced the knee. No difference but it won't be another 95 days before I run again. Back to the strength training again until I get an app with my doc to refer me for a proper check up.

Goals for 2022

75kg. Last year I got down to 75kg for the 10k and felt great. I also had a good hold of nutrition and drank enough water. Its the main number I'll target as I need to balance many things. Its more about feeling fit and healthy than being fit for a certain event. I'll incorporate drinking more water, Intermittent Fasting and replacing any snacks with fruit, nuts or yoghurt (plain).

Next I intend to row a marathon. It's just been on the long finger too long. It will happen this spring. My brother rowed a 2:59 just before Christmas... 😏

Finally from a running POV, I would love to be healthy enough to run a marathon. Realistically that's a 12 month effort, to build a base and execute a plan. Perhaps a 3 month volume build and a 4 month plan will do it. That would give me a window of end of March to sort the knee for any chance of an Autumn or Winter marathon. That's all getting way ahead though. To run a Parkrun injury free in March would be wonderful!

Best of luck and health to everyone setting out on new or extended journeys this year!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Annie get your Run

Some lunatic in my CrossFit gym rowed a marathon apparently 😄 it does seem like a logical goal given the amount of work you put in on the rower, best of luck with it and with the injury woes!

Thanks AGYR 😊 I'll join that asylum by end of Feb.

40min easy row today, the bones of 10k again. Tomorrow is a 6k TT and dare I say it, a wee jog?! I trotted beside the dog for a couple of minutes and knee no worse. Feels ok today actually.

81.6kg on the scales. Not good but not the worst January starting point. 6.6kg to go, just a stone and a bit 🙄

I also set out to do Yoga with Adrienne 30 days of January and I'm already 2 days behind 😒

• Registered Users Posts: 4,292 ✭✭✭ariana`

You are some man to even contemplate a marathon on the rower, the thoughts of it 🤢

But it's great to have goals, we all need them, hard to stay going without them.

Best of luck for 2022. You surely have a lot on your plate but I'm sure you will do it all with the same energy and drive we are used to seeing from you around here.

2022 Week 1 Update

Monday: Row 15,018m in an hour including a 6k TT in 21:55, avg 1:49.7/500m. I set out to hit 22 minutes so I should be happy with that. No! I took a few quick breathers so was actually rowing harder, too hard. Didnt help that the puppy was wondering around and under the rower. My lower back felt stiff. The culprit was me, being an eejit, lifting both my sons together (around 100kg) the previous day. Lesson learned.

Tuesday: woke up with my lower back in a jock. Could barely stand, let alone walk 😡Gentle movement better than being stationery. Later in the evening I managed 30 minutes of slow stretchy yoga.

Wednesday: Row 20 minutes super super light. Back still very stiff.

Thursday: Yoga with Adrienne 'Move' Day 2, 34 minutes. Back loosening, yoga helping.

Friday: A Run 😃 4 miles @8:03. 8:30, 8:00, 7:30 then a mile easy. Miserable cold morning but I've always loved getting a run done first thing. My calves tightened up so I rolled them out afterwards. I also incorporated a couple of minutes walking at the end, to cool down, gradually lower my heart rate, breathe easy and lengthen the hamstrings. Later a 40 minute Row as 20' progression and 20' easy. My heart rate was much higher than it ought to be so I quit the progression half way through. The bones of 10k done.

Saturday: 1 hour Row at 20spm and 2:00/500m. 14,936m done. Normally 15k in an hour would be mid zone but the cardiac drift hit 92% for this and I finished feeling ragged. Later 24 minutes Yoga as, YWA 'Move' Day 3 with Mrs Shotgun.

Sunday: 20 minutes S&C as 10 rounds of (5 pull ups, 10 push ups, 15 squats) every 2mins. Struggled and I'll know about it tomorrow. Did 10 minutes rowing either side as warm up/cool down for 5,300m total. 5' of the warm up was at 1:47/500m and felt good.

Later a 4 mile Run @8:46 keeping it very easy for a wet noisy Sunday evening around town, my least favourite time of the week to train. The legs were feeling the 150 squats earlier but happy to bank a second run this week. Again walked a few mins at the end, stretched and rolled out tight calves. The walk also to suss out how the knee feels after some miles.

Overall 6+ hours volume with 2x Run, 3x Yoga, 4x Row, 1x S&C. Weighed in at 81.0kg a drop of 0.6kg. Weened off the Christmas crap but kiddie rocky road birthday cake put a dent in otherwise better nutrition discipline. Given the lower back issue at the start of the week it was varied and fun and my body held up! Back to work, kids activities and College this week though so let's see if next week is as positive 🤔

• Advertisement

2022 Week 2

3x Run (17 miles), 5x Row (57 km), 2x S&C/Yoga. 7+ hours total.

Monday: Row 40' easy. DOMS!! Legs, chest, arms in bits so easy low rate effort to try to loosen up. Back to sitting at a desk most of the day which did not help. I have a stand up desk on order and took one meeting walking the dog. Will do all I can to not be as static this year during working hours.

Tuesday: 6 miles easy across town and back on a sunny chilly morning. Despite legs still feeling stiff I enjoyed this. Wore the Boston 8s which I guess are the last version of the old Boston. I don't have 9s or 10s for comparison but the 8s are just as good as the 7s. Straight after the run I did a 30' Row at 20spm steady which felt strong. Loads of positivd energy 😁

Wednesday: Row 60' Steady feeling pretty good. Cardiac drift poor though so need more volume at base intensity. 30' Yoga afterwards.

Thursday: 6 miles with a little Tempo. 7:50, 7:32, 6:48, 7:28, 7:45, 7:50. Wore the Fuelcell TC for this. A shoe I want to like but a blister on the inside of my right big toe again. Perhaps not enough room in the toe box. I just wanted to push the pace a little and in truth it was pointless. I struggled and was breathing so heavily at what was my average last marathon pace. I need to banish any notions and just run easy until it feels better and fitness slowly returns.

Friday: Row 5k x2 off 1:30 easy low rate technique focus. Energy not great. The week catching up with me. First full week back to work, college group assignment, switching the brain back to reading academics, kids activities starting back. I started eating rubbish and didn't let up for the weekend 😒

Saturday: 5 miles easy @8:50 keeping heart rate capped. It felt like almost walking on some hills. My knee complained a bit and the Garmin shut off after 3 miles. Wet and cold dark evening with loud traffic. Generally not much fun and feeling generally meh. Must ring the doc again and see if I can get an app for a referral. I'm happy to be running every second day but I'd love to run more. 28' Yoga afterwards, day 5 of "Move".

Sunday: Row 60' very easy. A day out with the family scupperd a plan to do a half marathon. Another week will do no harm. It was half hearted and quite reluctant. My Garmin HRM stopped working this weekend too. Went onto the forums, tried it all. Cleaning the contacts, changing battery, drying it out etc but typically ouf of warranty it fails. My 3rd HRM Run. So, I'll rely on dodgy optical HR for running and I have a cheap CooSpo HRM for rowing.

Did not weigh in this week. No point, I just wasn't disciplined. 7 hours of activities on top of everything else was as least consistent but I need to find a rhythm. If I break the Yoga into smaller more frequent chunks, I should plug in at least 1 strength session. This week I'll continue to run every second day but since it starts Monday, I should get 4 runs done. A good week would also involve a sub 90 rowing half marathon, a HIIT type session and better nutrition! Thanks for reading 😀

2022 Week 3

Run, Row, Run, Row, Run, Row. 6hrs total, 20 miles running, 55k rowing

Monday: 6 miles easy @8:35. Nice Run around the bridges but knee complained a little

Tuesday: Row 16,395m Inc 10k progression. The original intention was a low rate hour but after 25 mins of the dog licking my shins, ducking under the rower, getting stuck behind me etc, I put him out the door and did another 10k progression from steady to 90% effort. Tough but felt good.

Wednesday: 6 miles easy @8:26. Identical Run to Monday but early ish morning and more controlled under heart rate zone 2 cap. Reading up on the knee and found another way to tape it than the physio did.

Thursday: Row 18,013m easy. Felt good and just sat around marathon pace for 75 mins. Felt as though I could keep going but need to consider how my butt will hold up and hands are too soft still. First time actually visualising a marathon Row.

Friday: 7 miles easy @8:09. Out and back the condel path on a pleasant chilly morning. Taped the knee and it felt marginally better. I'm using Rock Tape which I'll need to replace as it softens up after a Row stretching over the knee and showers. I should be accompanying it with S&C and will do it this week, no excuses.

Saturday: Plan incomplete due to kiddie playdate. It was just too late and I had college work to do by the time a window opened. Figured no harm in a day off.

Sunday: Row 21,097m in 1:23:53. After a day off the tank was full for this. Sub 84, woop 😁 I kept if easy for 30', then pushed on by 1 second per split. Pushed another second at 60' and pushed to progressive LT effort from 70'. Finished at 89% HRR and just 13 secs off my all time best. How I'd love to be in that sort of Run shape. Good benchmark for z sub 3 marathon but I need a few more of these, much ore comfortable, under my belt before I have a go.

So last week I aimed for 4 runs, a HM Row, a HIIT session and better nutrition. Finished a bit off that but grateful to get through 20 miles running unscathed. Work, college and life sucked the time and energy from me. I did what I could. Aiming to be more realistic this week. Tape and exercise the knee, complete 4 runs and unfortunately spend a bit less time on boards and more time on studies 😬

2022 Week 4

A write off. For the second time in a month, I pulled my lower back this time doing DIY. Walking the dog needed ibuprofen and stretching. Won't force it. Ease back as it loosens up. Sigh... better to update something than go AWOL I guess 😏

• Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭Wubble Wubble

Sorry to hear that M. Nice and easy with the recovery.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Annie get your Run

Fingers crossed it's a quick recovery.

Thanks WW and AGYR! Movement helps so easy back. Yoga tomorrow and a little running after the dog today was grand. Trying to convince myself that a little is a lot sometimes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭ReeReeG

Ah no, how annoying. Hope its not too painful

Advertisement