Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Glass Onion (Knives Out 2) **Spoilers from post 84**

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭FileNotFound

Delighted really liked the first.

Missus loves a good murder

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,889 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Dave Bautista has also joined the cast.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,793 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

Good for Craig's bank account.

I really enjoyed the first one. It was just a good old-fashioned whodunnit, and you knew the cast were having a blast filming it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,862 ✭✭✭mikhail

I really enjoyed the first one. It was just a good old-fashioned whodunnit, and you knew the cast were having a blast filming it.
    Sort of. It sort of inverts the concept too. The setup is that we see her do it. We feel sorry for her. We're rooting against the detective, sort of. It's not just a well done whodunnit, but a little cleverer than that. It's a small thing, but it freshened the format up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Delighted really liked the first.

Missus loves a good murder

Did you notice her taking notes?

Realistically, when would this be expected to be released, considering it's not exactly a huge effects movie or anything?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭FileNotFound

CastorTroy wrote: »
    Did you notice her taking notes?

Realistically, when would this be expected to be released, considering it's not exactly a huge effects movie or anything?

She's often mentioned the ways she'd finish me off when I reach max life assurance :D:D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,518 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Kathryn Hahn is the latest to join

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,003 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

JP Liz V1 wrote: »

Awesome.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 127 ✭✭JackTC

She's everywhere at the moment. Anything comedy, especially dark comedy you can expect her to make an appearance.

• Advertisement

Good for Craig's bank account.

Is he also producer?

Kate Hudson has also joined

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,793 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

Is he also producer?

Kate Hudson has also joined

According to various sources but him and Johnson are getting a paycheck of around 100 million. Not bad.

Jessica Henwick added. Says she rounds out the cast so guess she's the last to join.

https://deadline.com/2021/06/knives-out-2-matrix-4s-jessica-henwick-1234774810/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,614 ✭✭✭WrenBoy

Dave Bautista has also joined the cast.

He's in everything :pac:
    The Rock would be sweating if he wasn't a one man media empire at this stage.

Jada Pinkett Smith has joined

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,003 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

It hasn't been officially announced, but there's talk that Ethan Hawke has joined too.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,730 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

This has an official title: ‘Glass Onion: A Knives Out Mystery’.

Glass Onion is a perfect combination of words IMO 😂

Johnson has a bit of a spiel about it here:

“When I made Knives Out, that’s what excited me about the prospect of making more mysteries with Daniel as Benoit Blanc - to emulate Christie and have every film be like a whole new book, with its own tone, ambition, reason for being… and (ta dah) title.”

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

Very excited about this, I imagine we'll get a proper trailer soon.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

As the old meme goes, my body is ready

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭sprucemoose

get her name out of your mouth

im in two minds, loved the first one but i have the fear that theyll be dragging the arse out of the concept by doing a sequel

• Advertisement

Netflix paid $469m for the two films.

The budget for this one is $30m - $50m according to wikipedia so if you say the same kind of budget for the 3rd one that brings it in at around the $100m mark.

Is the other $369m that Netflix paud going on the wages of the all star cast and the director?

No wonder Netflix share price is taking big hits.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,730 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

The deal was only for the rights AFAIK, likely wouldn’t include the actual budget for the films - although Johnson and Craig and Johnson’s producer Bergman all likely got a very nice payday out of it, and their money therefore may not be included in the actual production budget as a result.

It was an absolutely insane deal that made no financial sense for Netflix other than to secure some guaranteed prestige sequels to an acclaimed film. Couldn’t be happier for Johnson and co though - they made out like bandits, and rarely has a director so earned their success.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,797 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

Netflix have made some horrible deals in the past, and this will prove to be another.

Reminder that the new, $100m movie from Top Gun Maverick's director, starring one of its stars (Miles Teller) and Thor himself (Chris Hemsworth) is released on Friday and nobody has any idea it exists.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

$370 million for rights is insane. This can't end well for Netflix as this stage, they can't keep throwing around crazy money like this and expect it all to come up roses. At some point somebody's gonna want returns on these numbers.

December 23rd Netflix

It's the closing screening of London Film Festival on October 16th with 'simultaneous preview screenings' across the UK.

Last time that happened was for The Irishman and that included Irish screenings alongside the UK ones, so hopefully that'll be the case this time around too.

I can see Netflix going to cinemas a lot more now with big budget films to try and get some extra money in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,107 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

Certainly looks a lot more lavish and extravagant than the first film; hopefully it's not one of those sequels where "more" of everything results in a less satisfying whole.

Still remains an obscene, insane amount of money paid by Netflix - just for streaming rights. Seems a shame it won't be available for viewing in the cinema.

• Advertisement

Reviews coming out of the Toronto Film Festival are positive

Drops on Netflix December 23th

In cinemas from November 23th.

Ryan has confirmed Benoit is gay, not that it matters in a murder mystery

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,178 ✭✭✭Brief_Lives

who is Ryan? and there had to be a reason he was able to resist Ana de Armas...

Ryan Johnson, the director. JP is apparently on first-name terms lol.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,178 ✭✭✭Brief_Lives

😁 like it..!

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭delboy85

I'm looking forward to this. I loved the first one. It was great fun.

Reviews seem to be extremely positive. It has very strong numbers on Rotten Tomatoes and Metacritic.

It still seems like a crazy amount of money for Netflix to fork out though.

Was lucky enough to catch one of the many preview screenings in the UK over the weekend. It’s a delight. It’s a ‘bigger’ sequel - everything has been heightened and exaggerated. But - in a break from tradition - that actually works. It takes a while to get there, though - the first half hour or so is a lot less elegant and focused than Knives Out’s equivalent, as it takes a long time to get to the meat of things. There are a bunch of cameos and nods to real world events too, not all of which work. But, to Johnson’s credit, a lot of the scene-setting does have purpose, and when it finally gets into the reveals and twists it’s just as entertaining, funny and wild as the original. Johnson has so much fun overloading the film with red herrings and misdirects, before gleefully revealing his true intentions. He has also spent that extra Netflix budget well - one or two slightly dodgy CG shots aside, the extravagant island setting acts as a much more intriguing and dynamic setting for the whodunnit than the manor of the first film.

It basically sticks to the same broad formula, although drawing on some notably different inspirations from the mystery genre. However, it has some great structural ideas up its sleeve and some killer rug pulls / reveals that often had the audience in stitches. The cast are a lot of fun, although to even mention who has the meatiest material (beyond Craig, of course) would spoil some of the surprises :)

It’s more Knives Out, ultimately: bigger, sillier, and just as fun despite some added messiness before getting to the really good stuff. If you have the opportunity to see it in a cinema, definitely do as it’s a great communal experience with a crowd - it’s only fitting that it is getting the biggest release of any Netflix film yet. But otherwise it’ll make for a fantastic watch with family or friends over Christmas.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,762 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

“.. every film be like a whole new book, with its own tone, ambition, reason for being… ”

So this one will be less 'woke' than the original, with it's not so subtle digs at the right, and themes of privilege and immigration?

Maybe not.

• Advertisement

A new trailer has arrived.

That trailer does a pretty good job cutting around all the surprises and reveals, so I wouldn't worry too much about spoilers.

What I would recommend before watching is checking out The Last of Sheila if you can. It's a rock-solid 70s mystery written by Anthony Perkins (yes, that one) and Stephen Sondheim (yes, also that one!) that's clearly Johnson's most obvious point of reference for Glass Onion. Unfortunately, it's annoyingly unavailable on any of the main platforms in Ireland, but it has had various releases over the years so it is out there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,310 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

It seems a bit mad that netflix are only putting it in the cinema for a week here...definitely want to check it out!

Netflix seem to want to go REALLY big on it as their Christmas movie, so maybe that's why they're trying to limit it? Going by Kermode & Mayo, media isn't even allowed to run any interviews with Johnson and the cast until it's about to hit Netflix.

There have been times in the past where Netflix have given something a 'limited' run in cinemas only for it to stick around indefinitely when it has clearly been a success (see: The Irishman). Hard to say whether that'll happen here, but they are pushing the 'one week only' thing and screenings do seem to be getting cut off from this day next week.

Interesting tactic to basically prevent any media promotion 'til it came on Netflix; pretty aggressive tactic all round, and obviously a desire to maximise the eyeballs on the film when it appears on the service.

One thing's for certain, I believe it was said Johnson would make 100 million from this Netflix deal? He has absolutely made away like a bandit on this - couldn't be happier for him after the bullshít he endured in the wake of the Last Jedi "fan" backlash.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,567 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

So it looks like it might be decent then. There's a cinema nearby but there are barely any showings for it. I'm a bit wrecked but tempted to see it tonight.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭SimonTemplar

I just saw it. The first one had a small scale elegant focused structure which the sequel is lacking. But it is still enormous and outrageous fun and it is clear Daniel Craig is having a blast. A few other cast members are afforded very meaty roles too, and are quite captivating, but to say who would be close to spoiler territory.

My only nit pick is that things go a bit haywire in the final 10 minutes or so which didn't entirely work for me but that is just a minor criticism especially when the journey up to that point was outstanding by everyone in front of and behind the camera.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

It's excellent, I might actually prefer it to Knives Out. The cast is great and they're clearly having so much fun. Some lovely little surprises in there too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,310 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Very fun sequel, it really upped the scale and ambition of the original and it is worth seeing on the big screen....but it wasnt quite as good story wise imo. The first one is so tight and well cast.

Craig is excellent, love Hahn in everything and Kate Hudson was surprisingly good as well.

They might have cost Miles Bron a lot of money (possible financial ruin) but he has basically got away with double murder? Or will they testify against him?

I did guess a few of the twists but it was still a lot of fun.

Terrific cameos as well, Hugh Grant and Craig make a nice couple ha.

Will definitely watch another sequel.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭santana75

Saw this last night and its an absolute hoot. I love a good murder mystery and this delivers in spades, its very clever. Some nice little in jokes too, such as the Tom cruise in Magnolia outfit, which I dont know why it was thrown in there, but it was a funny moment all the same. Cant wait for the next one

• Advertisement
Advertisement