Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Where would you buy a family home in Dublin for €550k?

Options

Comments

Madeoface wrote: »
    It's the other side of the road / down the road from clay farm you'd want to Google....

Irrelevant. The council housing estates in ballyogan are there for many years and are quiet.
    They don't impact in anyway the people living further up the road. (I'm not sure why you think they should anyway)

I would agree with others, the gallops is a nice estate, I lived in there for a few years. It's surburbian family estate, nice. Clay farm is too over developed imo. Does and will look horrible.
    Shankill, I lived and worked for ten years, it is a lovely place to live, but you will need a car for many activities. The park is nice and so is the beach. It is very far from Dublin city centre, if that is your thing, you may find you will stay more local anyway.

I'm not sure why you need to be close to sandyford if no one works there.
    Also, depending on where in the city you work might have a big impact on your commuting choices, I wouldn't like to work 9-5 and use public transport from Shankill, but that's personal.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,840 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

Orchids wrote: »
    Hiya

Have a look at Ballinteer, Dundrum, Churchtown & Balally areas
    luas goes close by
    close to m50
    Lots of schools, parks, shopping
    Have a look at the property price register for those areas to get an idea of prices
    I moved to Dundrum - Barton Road side over 20 years ago & thankfully never experienced any anti social behaviour.
    Good luck

Churchtown / dundrum are great... but when traffic returns to awful levels,... you can get a bus from dundrumnto citywest and luas to city centre from dundrum

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭Zaney

M_Murphy57 wrote: »
    If the OP wants to be a short commute to town , citywest and sandyford all the posts recommending the north side and Shankill seem mad, - 5especially far out places like donabate etc. Even Malahide isnt particularly an easy reach of town and the Southside.

Dundrum, churchtown, glencairn , kilmacud, stillorgan, milltown, cabinteely , sandyford itself etc are ideal.

The problem is 4 bedrooms, move in condition , a requirement not to be near any anti social behaviour and a budget of 550k mean it's going to be very difficult to get all those things in any of those areas.

I agree. And Traffic will get worse. Even now the M50 traffic levels are 80% of pre-Covid. Won’t take long for them to be back to the usual car park. And it’ll only get worse as the population grows and road space is given over to public transport and cyclists.

For example, whatever about Shankill traffic now, wait till woodbrook is built out. It ain’t going to get better. And that will be replicated all over the city.

Wherever you land OP, I’d make sure you have travel options other than a car would be my advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,618 ✭✭✭Ideo

Molina wrote: »
    Ideo wrote: »
    Have you considered perrystown?

I’ve seen a few houses within budget in Perrystown, but it’s an area I don’t know at all. Is it separate to Kimmage?

Yeah its separate from Kimmage. If you look at it on the map its a small enough area, but you get the benefit of the facilities in templeogue, terenure, kimmage (spawell, tennis clubs, cycle track in sundrive, running clubs etc.) Apart from your requirement to be near the sea it ticks a lot of boxes for you IMO. I think you'd be mad going somewhere like Malahide and having to commute across the M50 to citywest for work. I would try to find an area between both your work places that ticks your boxes and focus on that - this being one of them. Not sure if you want a semi d or a mid terrace but if you are ok with a mid terrace then you should get something under 500k

• Registered Users Posts: 5,552 ✭✭✭Slutmonkey57b

If the OP wants to be a short commute to town , citywest and sandyford all the posts recommending the north side and Shankill seem mad, - 5especially far out places like donabate etc. Even Malahide isnt particularly an easy reach of town and the Southside.

Dundrum, churchtown, glencairn , kilmacud, stillorgan, milltown, cabinteely , sandyford itself etc are ideal.

The problem is 4 bedrooms, move in condition , a requirement not to be near any anti social behaviour and a budget of 550k mean it's going to be very difficult to get all those things in any of those areas.

This all day long. If you want a 30 minute commute by public transport into the city then you need to be very close to the city (bike distance as buses will be full by the time they get to you) or on the luas green line. If you are interested in taking kids on public transport you want to stay away from any area that's on the red line due to asbo's.

The only areas that meet your definition are around rathgar/Rathmines and you can't afford that.

• Advertisement

This all day long. If you want a 30 minute commute by public transport into the city then you need to be very close to the city (bike distance as buses will be full by the time they get to you) or on the luas green line. If you are interested in taking kids on public transport you want to stay away from any area that's on the red line due to asbo's.

The only areas that meet your definition are around rathgar/Rathmines and you can't afford that.

Areas of the navan road and castleknock would meet the poster's requirements. No sea though, but you're never far away from the sea in Dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 31 Stevie S

Madeoface wrote: »
    It's the other side of the road / down the road from clay farm you'd want to Google....

I'm not going to put down any area but yeah, I did mention I liked the other direction... :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,500 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

We’d love Clontarf or Raheny (close to the sea), but I think we’re priced out of both. Any properties we’ve seen within budget require so much work that we can’t afford them.

You're not priced out of Raheny if you're willing to live with a few drafts and other issues for a few years.

https://www.myhome.ie/residential/brochure/63-maryville-road-raheny-dublin-5/4494990

This is below budget and you'll be neighbours with some of the nicest people you could meet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭Kalimah

I don’t know the area at all. What are good estates? How long would it take to get to town on public transport?

Woodstown is nice although big - they have a fantastic residents association. Orlagh is lovely too or Templeroan. Older estates like Idrone or Glenvara are good value too. The primary and secondary schools are excellent and there's a Gaelscoil also and an Educate Together in Firhouse.

It takes 40 odd minutes to get to town on public transport on an ok day - an hour if traffic is bad, but in the summer I have gotten in in 25 minutes!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,546 ✭✭✭dubrov

Have a look at Marino.
    One of you could walk to work and the other could get the red line luas to CityWest (maybe others can comment on what that is like).
    It is so close to town you would be fine with one car as well.

There are also some great schools in the area and town is walkable as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,552 ✭✭✭Slutmonkey57b

Stevie S wrote: »
    Some fair points and inaccurate ones on Shankill there I would say

Loads to do from a sporting and outdoor perspective.

The DART is never packed towards town when getting on. It's either the 2nd or 3rd stop so even at peak school time you'll get a seat. The station's proximity to the 145 is fairly irrelevant for most of Shankill and the 145 bus itself has the best bus corridor in the city

Traffic can be bad at rush hour to Bray. Avoid if possible

Eating out is a non event right enough outside of the pub which is very good. Needs to be Bray and should be lots of stuff popping up in Cherrywood

Not witnessed a lot of anti social behaviour but as mentioned near the DART doesn't have a great reputation

Some newer developments popping up but at early stages.

The stations lack of proximity to the majority of the population is, because it's a walk from the main street, and most housing estates add another 10-20 minutes on top again, which wouldn't be an issue if there was a local hopper bus but there isn't. The 145 has a great bus corridor, which doesn't start until after you leave Shankill, so you still have to a) get on a bus which will be packed before it leaves Bray and b) get through the single lane traffic out of Shankill.

Getting to citywest by car from Shankill is a minimum of 45 minutes I would say. I have no idea why someone is suggesting the likes of Howth or Malahide for a drive to citywest.

Getting to citywest by car from Shankill is a minimum of 45 minutes I would say. I have no idea why someone is suggesting the likes of Howth or Malahide for a drive to citywest.

Some of the places suggested, while nice, are completely unsuitable for commuting to CityWest and North City.

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭M_Murphy57

dubrov wrote: »
    Have a look at Marino.
    One of you could walk to work and the other could get the red line luas to CityWest (maybe others can comment on what that is like).

There are also some great schools in the e area and town is walkable as well.

The red line doesnt go to Marino, so bus into town then 45+ minute luas ride to city west. Youd be doing well to make it in 90 minutes door to door so 3 hour a day commute!

Some of the places suggested, while nice, are completely unsuitable for commuting to CityWest and North City.

It's probably because the OP mentioned sandyford, not sure why they need to be close to there though.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,517 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

If you go on to the property sites you can find 4 beds within this budget. But as others have already said you'd need to know really well the transport links of each area, what your commute will be, and how nice an area is. Because a lot at this budget are older houses and perhaps more modest areas.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 Stevie S

The stations lack of proximity to the majority of the population is, because it's a walk from the main street, and most housing estates add another 10-20 minutes on top again, which wouldn't be an issue if there was a local hopper bus but there isn't. The 145 has a great bus corridor, which doesn't start until after you leave Shankill, so you still have to a) get on a bus which will be packed before it leaves Bray and b) get through the single lane traffic out of Shankill.

Depends where you work in town and where you live in Shankill for sure. It's a reliable 40 minutes from Shankill station to Tara so up to the OP after that. A lot of the housing estates between Quinn's Road and Corbawn are 10 mins max walk.
    Citywest anything from 25 mins to an hour in a car, depends on your flexibility of start time

The majority of people contributing to this discussion know It's a pretty tough ask to tick all these boxes for 550k, not even sure it's possible with a bigger budget given the geographical places mentioned.
    For what it's worth anyway of the places I know I would go for Leopardstown or Shankill for 500k-550k

bubblypop wrote: »
    It's probably because the OP mentioned sandyford, not sure why they need to be close to there though.

They mentioned that though their spouse currently works in Citywest, there could be future employment prospects for him in Sandyford, as a lot of his industry is based there.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,264 ✭✭✭✭ted1

bubblypop wrote: »
    Bayview and brookdene are mad over priced for what they are.
    There isn't even a shop within walking distance to get a litre of.milk.
    Brookdene is straight across the road from traveller.accommodation, how could ya pay nearly half a million for that!
    Texaco is about 100m from Brookdene.

Centra, Applegreen, Lidl, Centra, Tesco express are all within 15 minutes walk of Bayview.

Its right beside the sea, Killiney hill, DART station ,etc.

Brookedene should be about 50k less than bayview.

I'd avoid Shankill, far to much development going to happen ove the next few years and traffic would be crazier.

Also try to stay inside the M50. or go coastal Malahide, Skerries, portmarnock, Killiney

I grew up in Terenure and Rathfarnham and live in Killiney now for 20 years. Lockdown made me realise who spoilt we are here.

The red line doesnt go to Marino, so bus into town then 45+ minute luas ride to city west. Youd be doing well to make it in 90 minutes door to door so 3 hour a day commute!

20 minutes walk to the Luas from Marino.

CityWest to North City is a long distance so the commute has to be divided up between them somehow. I think most couple would prefer that the commute was loaded onto one so that the other was more flexible in relation to school/creche droppoffs, emergencies etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Molina

Thanks everyone for the replies, lots to think about.

Husband works in Citywest & will drive even if he has public transport options. I’d be happy to drive or take public transport. We have two cars. Probably should have left out Sandyford, was including it for possible further job change that might never happen. There’s more movement in his industry than mine.

We don’t need to be by the sea, a nice park or playground would be enough. And four beds is a dream, three would do us. Most important is a safe area for the boys to grow up.

I’m not sure if I’m being too pessimistic about renovation costs, but many second hand houses I thought would need €100k to renovate. Is this reslustic, too little, too much?

See the house in Ballinteer for example (33 Ballinteer Crescent - sorry can’t link!)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭M_Murphy57

Husband works in Citywest & will drive even if he has public transport options. I’d be happy to drive or take public transport. We have two cars. Probably should have left out Sandyford, was including it for possible further job change that might never happen. There’s more movement in his industry than mine.

We don’t need to be by the sea, a nice park or playground would be enough. And four beds is a dream, three would do us. Most important is a safe area for the boys to grow up.

I’m not sure if I’m being too pessimistic about renovation costs, but many second hand houses I thought would need €100k to renovate. Is this reslustic, too little, too much?

See the house in Ballinteer for example (33 Ballinteer Crescent - sorry can’t link!)

If you dont extend you would get most work done in a 3 bed semi for 50k (eg insulation, wiring, plumbing, new bathroom, etc)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,184 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

Have a look at Marino.

There are also some great schools in the area and town is walkable as well.

What I will tell you about the Luas to CityWest is that in my year at CityWest, colleagues coming from Psencer Dock and Temple Bar would prioritise the bus to CityWest over the Luas.

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭Zaney

You’d need to get proper renovation quotes. Depends on works. There’s huge price inflation at the moment, being blamed on building regulations, Brexit and shortages of tradesmen from what I can make out.

My sister is about to start renovating a 1970’s modest 3 bed
    Semi, no extension, €120,000 - a big chunk is windows, new kitchen, heating and downstairs toilet. She got loads of quotes, nothing was under €100,000. Some said they’d start work in summer 2022.

Plenty of posts about renovations elsewhere on boards, suggest you ask there too as some might have different experiences.

Seeing as you will be on public transport OP, and your husband will drive no matter what, you should probably try to suit your commute.
    Shortest, best journey to wherever it is you're going.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,461 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

If you dont extend you would get most work done in a 3 bed semi for 50k (eg insulation, wiring, plumbing, new bathroom, etc)

You'd be doing very well to get that for 50k. Talk to some builders, they won't look at jobs for less than 100k these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Mr Mister

We were in a similar boat a few years ago....came back from Australia and I got a job in Citywest. We were looking at Dundrum/Ballinteer area, as well as Raheny. Tried out the commute from both and was 20-25 mins quicker from Dundrum each way. That was enough to sway it for me. I ended up getting a job out in Sandyford then, so worked out really well. No way I would commute Northside to Sandyford daily, unless perhaps by bike.

Both areas have a lot going for them, with big parks close by and good schools, sports clubs etc. Raheny has the coast which is great and Dundrum/Ballinteer has the mountains. Couldn’t really go wrong with either area.

In terms of renovation costs, it was 5 years ago but we paid the best part of 75k for windows, electricity, plumbing, insulation, kitchen and bathrooms and I’d say you’re looking at 100k+ now, given building costs have gone crazy again

This area has been mentioned a few times on thread, but this just goes to show, that there is no area of Dublin completely free of anti-social behaviour, no matter where it is, or how much you spend.

Call for curfew to tackle anti-social behaviour in Malahide...

• Registered Users Posts: 23,264 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Zaney wrote: »
    You’d need to get proper renovation quotes. Depends on works. There’s huge price inflation at the moment, being blamed on building regulations, Brexit and shortages of tradesmen from what I can make out.

My sister is about to start renovating a 1970’s modest 3 bed
    Semi, no extension, €120,000 - a big chunk is windows, new kitchen, heating and downstairs toilet. She got loads of quotes, nothing was under €100,000. Some said they’d start work in summer 2022.

Plenty of posts about renovations elsewhere on boards, suggest you ask there too as some might have different experiences.

I’m sure others could have got it down for half that price. Lots going for external insulation which costs 25k and has a payback period of 40 years.

Budget 500 to replace each rad, 2,500 for a boiler.
    900 per window. ( low U value double glazing )
    2k for a door.
    8k per bathroom
    Kitchen 5k+ Some people go crazy but realistically in 3 bed semi. A 45k kitchen doesn’t look any difference than a 5k.

It’s worth remembering that about 95% of people dint feel the need to renovate. A new kitchen. , bit of paint and new floors does wonders

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Molina

Mr Mister wrote: »
    We were in a similar boat a few years ago....came back from Australia and I got a job in Citywest. We were looking at Dundrum/Ballinteer area, as well as Raheny. Tried out the commute from both and was 20-25 mins quicker from Dundrum each way. That was enough to sway it for me. I ended up getting a job out in Sandyford then, so worked out really well. No way I would commute Northside to Sandyford daily, unless perhaps by bike.

Both areas have a lot going for them, with big parks close by and good schools, sports clubs etc. Raheny has the coast which is great and Dundrum/Ballinteer has the mountains. Couldn’t really go wrong with either area.

In terms of renovation costs, it was 5 years ago but we paid the best part of 75k for windows, electricity, plumbing, insulation, kitchen and bathrooms and I’d say you’re looking at 100k+ now, given building costs have gone crazy again

Thanks, that’s really helpful.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

I would consider Drumcondra / Marino for this.
    You'd be in walking / cycling distance for the north city centre then M50 for City West.
    I'd reckon you'd get better value than an equivalent southside area also.
    Near great schools and also colleges when kids older (DCU and town for TCD / TUI or transport to UCD.

Advertisement