Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Racing season 21

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭okane1

I see Tour of the North is moving to Zwift for this year. Only benefit there is I'm unlikely to crash out this year so might be able to finish it :D

You might feel better to crash then complete the last stage!!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,668 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

My take is that there may be some events in May but will be small mayby club races/club sportifs and TT's.
    From June onwards i'd expect a reasonably normal season though I think there may be local restrictions for a week or so here and there.
    There is a divergence between Public heath/Virologists/Infectious disease who want the virus to go as low as possible before opening despite vaccination and politics who will push for reopening when risks of death and hospitalisation have dropped to very low levels.
    Suspect the politics will win and will be driven by public opinion too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 290 ✭✭JimmiesRustled

okane1 wrote: »
    You might feel better to crash then complete the last stage!!

There's no time cut so happy days.
    RobFowl wrote: »
    My take is that there may be some events in May but will be small mayby club races/club sportifs and TT's.
    From June onwards i'd expect a reasonably normal season though I think there may be local restrictions for a week or so here and there.

I'd hope that is the case but it seems like some jump to go from 5km limit, training by yourself for 3 months to open racing in 2 months time. We'll wait and see what happens. I'd say it'll be sketchy enough for the first few races while we all try and remember what the brakes are for.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,488 ✭✭✭Macy0161

I think the issue may be while events may end up being allowed in May or June, realistically organising clubs are probably starting to make the calls on those now (as we're seeing with the larger sportives).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,828 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Macy0161 wrote: »
    I think the issue may be while events may end up being allowed in May or June, realistically organising clubs are probably starting to make the calls on those now (as we're seeing with the larger sportives).

I can't see larger sportives going ahead this year as organisers will not want to be at the forefront of criticsm like the GAA were if cases explode.

Club leagues within county will the first dip in the ocean for the sport this year with my hope being May as a start date.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 880 ✭✭✭mamax

We will be cancelling our race in May by next week I'd say, unless it's very clear for the 8 weeks leading up to the race on how restrictions will go clubs won't take the risk this year.
    There is a lot of work to run a race, trying to book ambulance cover has been next to impossible so we are going to focus on a club league this year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭wav1

We will reschedule as many of our early season events as possible together what we have already in the calendar for later on subject to realistic working conditions and availability of help including medical which may be a harder one than previous but we can but try

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 222 ✭✭royrogers

Whats the chances of seeing the bigger stage races or the Ras i wonder, later in the year even maybe??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,426 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

royrogers wrote: »
    Whats the chances of seeing the bigger stage races or the Ras i wonder, later in the year even maybe??

Highly doubt there will be any multi stage racing this year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭wav1

Stage races bring a whole new range of issues as opposed to single day events..

Looks like Banbridge are going ahead with the Annaclone GP at the weekend up North. Great to see some racing return this year on the road.

Being completely honest about it though, I'm very jealous.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,112 ✭✭✭Bambaata

Yeah good to see some movement on that front. Hopefully with racing returning in the north it might help push for it to recommence down here. I dont expect anything before July though!

Club league racing in June with CI racing in July is what i think but secrectly hoping for June racing.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,184 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Quite lucky our club league is pretty huge and had multiple clubs so its the equivalent of open racing. Done a CX TT league on strava this weekend and I am well of race pace so it will be good to have something to aim for.

I think it could be county travel that may be the initial issue with open racing. Club open race in June still on my, and the clubs, calendar as things stand!

• Advertisement

CramCycle wrote: »
    Quite lucky our club league is pretty huge and had multiple clubs so its the equivalent of open racing. Done a CX TT league on strava this weekend and I am well of race pace so it will be good to have something to aim for.

In terms of race pace it would be great to be able to get a few fast paced group spins in before any level of racing. I miss those as much as racing myself.

dahat wrote: »
    In terms of race pace it would be great to be able to get a few fast paced group spins in before any level of racing. I miss those as much as racing myself.
    Great to get used to being in a group again, regardless of pace!

They've had a couple of weeks of being allowed group spins in the North haven't they? It's inevitable that racing will follow training by a couple of weeks in this State too, but I'd be pretty sure I'd need it before a race (club or open) for head as much as legs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 313 ✭✭strmin

There might be a lot of nervous riders in a bunch. I'm eager to go back to racing, but my last group spin was 14 months ago. I'm not sure that's such a good idea just to jump in. I really hope club spins allowed long before racing.

strmin wrote: »
    There might be a lot of nervous riders in a bunch. I'm eager to go back to racing, but my last group spin was 14 months ago. I'm not sure that's such a good idea just to jump in. I really hope club spins allowed long before racing.
    I wasn't too bad back in a group last summer, and then again in the autumn, but obviously a bit more civilised compared to even club racing!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,426 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

No sure where I saw it but think that a club promotion (all races in a day) is restricted to max 100. This includes all event organisers, all Marshall's, all medical personnel plus the riders.

• Advertisement

I've seen about the numbers, but not the restrictions for the day. Last summer the numbers were capped, but I know my own club did the A4's in the morning and the A3's in the afternoon (or vica versa) with no overlap at the same number cap for each race. There was enough between that people could race one, and marshal the other.

Sure jump off the front and up the road means no need for bunch skills!!!

Also the steps brought in last year for racing like pre entry, no gathering after etc will likely be kept for the foreseeable to ensure racing continues for the year.

Sure jump off the front and up the road means no need for bunch skills!!!

Also the steps brought in last year for racing like pre entry, no gathering after etc will likely be kept for the foreseeable to ensure racing continues for the year.

This is my plan of attack, solo attack, get caught and as soon as I can breathe, do it again, rinse repeat until the fitness returns. Really looking forward to the club league.

CramCycle wrote: »
    This is my plan of attack, solo attack, get caught and as soon as I can breathe, do it again, rinse repeat until the fitness returns. Really looking forward to the club league.

That always looks a well run & attended club league every year. I’d love the same locally but unfortunately club scene is pretty dead down south .

That always looks a well run & attended club league every year. I’d love the same locally but unfortunately club scene is pretty dead down south .

It's really well run because it's run by Cram :D.

Speaking for myself, I'll definitely need a few club races before getting back into open races. Only raced once since crashing back at the end of 2019.

Speaking for myself, I'll definitely need a few club races before getting back into open races. Only raced once since crashing back at the end of 2019.

People only think I run it because I get to shout at people at the start of the season to make me feel important but there are reps from each club who contribute, I just don't ever mention that they help in public :pac:

On a side note, I don't think I've ever been so excited at the prospect of a TT, let alone a club race

People only think I run it because I get to shout at people at the start of the season to make me feel important but there are reps from each club who contribute, I just don't ever mention that they help in public :pac:

On a side note, I don't think I've ever been so excited at the prospect of a TT, let alone a club race

Race license renewed in hope of something happening.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,218 ✭✭✭Junior

Race license renewed in hope of something happening.

It's anticipation that kills ya.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,569 ✭✭✭harringtonp

I think it could be county travel that may be the initial issue with open racing. Club open race in June still on my, and the clubs, calendar as things stand!

I wish CI (if you're a CI official hope you are listening) and organisers would take the view that it's not their business to police the county travel restriction.

From an ethical perspective 13 months into the pandemic it is now blatantly obvious that outdoor activity contributes little to cases. People know this and while unofficial activities are flourishing anything official suffers badly.

As a country we are back in the 1950s nanny state mentality.

• Advertisement

Actually, you are wrong there, to be seen to blatantly flout the rules needs consequences. Government could not let that slide unpunished and you would see funding and support from everywhere dry up. Sponsors would quite rightly pull the plug without any risk of comeback.

I don't disagree with the mentality of your post and the likes of Mondello set an example for a well run event last year but give out to government not CI.

Make a compelling case, no facilities, no indoor gathering pre or post race. Sign on via online confirmation, turn up in gear, race, go home, very simples but if they were seen to flaunt those rules, they'd be ruined and their board would have to resign for lack of due diligence.

This said, I imagine the appetite is enough at this point, even with restrictions you'd fill a race locally.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,668 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

I'm looking forward to proper group spins more than anything. Racing a bonus and sportifs too. The powers that be not giving cycling any breaks whatsoever :(

I wish CI (if you're a CI official hope you are listening) and organisers would take the view that it's not their business to police the county travel restriction.
    CI, a club or an event organiser could be seen to ignore the restrictions. Whatever about the rights and wrongs of the restrictions, it would be bringing the sport into disrepute given the media backlash. Look at the GAA teams.

Anyway, it already happened in the autumn. The Lakelander automatically blocked first anyone from counties under stay in your county restrictions, and then subsequently anyone from the 26 counties when it was extended across the state.

But CI will do as Sport Ireland say, as they'd be irresponsible in terms of the future of the sport if they didn't.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,855 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

I completely lost motivation to train this year-
    I haven't started training for this year yet :|
    Just couldn't fathom the motivation at all after I stopped racing at the end of last season.
    No harm in taking a year off I suppose, might start training for next year :pac:

Really really looking forward to group spins and track training again, I've never been a road cycling fan, especially not solo!
    Roll on 2022.

eeeee wrote: »
    Really really looking forward to group spins and track training again, I've never been a road cycling fan, especially not solo!
    Roll on 2022.

I gather Dublin may be a different case but the "de facto" situation in some more rural areas is that small group spins have been running for several weeks.

Listening to the wirelss this morning & they were talking about inter conty travel from June 7th will be in the latest roadmap. If this is the case then racing via CI or club leagues will be happening in June for sure.

I gather Dublin may be a different case but the "de facto" situation in some more rural areas is that small group spins have been running for several weeks.
    De facto happening in Dublin, and with inter county travel, from what I witness in my locale to be honest.

Listening to the wirelss this morning & they were talking about inter conty travel from June 7th will be in the latest roadmap. If this is the case then racing via CI or club leagues will be happening in June for sure.

Wouldn't get your hopes up before Thursdays announcement. It seems to depend on where you look. I've seen a few places report that sport could return but that was in relation to gyms/pools etc with the caveat that only 2-3 households could meet up and that timeline was straight through until July.

It's all just speculation and if the last year is anything to go by I'm sure the government aren't even 100% sure what they'll announce on Thursday. One things for sure anyway, it'll be clear as mud.

• Advertisement

Well I think it's always been fairly clear myself - just people looking for contradictions/ looking at n=1 circumstances/ not liking them so picking holes but that's beside the point.

We won't know for sure on Thursday, as it will have to go through Sport Ireland and onto Cycling Ireland before we have final clarity as Sports Ireland are essentially the deciding body on interpreting the restrictions..

Personally, I think cycling did alright out of the interpretations regarding training and getting group spins going myself the previous easing of restrictions. Compared to how my children's team sports are organised, where it's the same pod/ group every session, regardless of how many turn up.

Well I think it's always been fairly clear myself - just people looking for contradictions/ looking at n=1 circumstances/ not liking them so picking holes but that's beside the point.

We won't know for sure on Thursday, as it will have to go through Sport Ireland and onto Cycling Ireland before we have final clarity as Sports Ireland are essentially the deciding body on interpreting the restrictions..

Personally, I think cycling did alright out of the interpretations regarding training and getting group spins going myself the previous easing of restrictions. Compared to how my children's team sports are organised, where it's the same pod/ group every session, regardless of how many turn up.

I'll agree to disagree on the idea that the restrictions and lifting of said restrictions has been in any way, shape or form clear and I'll leave it there as don't want to derail the thread anymore than I already have.

No, we won't know for sure on Thursday but we should know if its a definitive no I guess is what I was trying to get at. As in, if the "roadmap" has a line in it that relates somewhat to sport essentially saying "outdoor gatherings of no more than 10" or something like that.

The leaks have sports matches back from June 7th no spectators which is pretty much the same as last racing season so fingers crossed cycling comes under the sport’s allowed.

I took the leaks as inter county go where you want from the 10th, with most of the rest of the rules staying in place. We'd have sports that suit us back in place by June. Until then you can take part in the numerous strava TT leagues that have popped up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,455 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

im assuming club spins back on the 10th may

im assuming club spins back on the 10th may
    I assume so too.

There was mention of matches in early June, but that's a fairly capped number compared to a race?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,112 ✭✭✭Bambaata

Yeah it seems racing might be back sooner than i as expecting which im not too pleased about now as ive just lost a weeks training due to me versus car incident last week. Loss training is likely to become another week so August would have been just fine to be in some sort of shape:o

I'm trying to remember where racing came back in. I think it was "sporting events", but I'm not sure where that tied in with "matches". It was certainly lower general restrictions than is even being talked about in June for open racing (level 3?). Perhaps club racing with "matches" is a more realistic expectation.

Bambaata wrote: »
    Yeah it seems racing might be back sooner than i as expecting which im not too pleased about now as ive just lost a weeks training due to me versus car incident last week. Loss training is likely to become another week so August would have been just fine to be in some sort of shape:o

The bike? :D

I'm trying to remember where racing came back in. I think it was "sporting events", but I'm not sure where that tied in with "matches". It was certainly lower general restrictions than is even being talked about in June for open racing (level 3?). Perhaps club racing with "matches" is a more realistic expectation.

A well known race promoter on Twitter seems confident pending government letters that open racing will be back after June 7th.

The definition of matches and events in terms of sports will be crucial.

A well known race promoter on Twitter seems confident pending government letters that open racing will be back after June 7th.

The definition of matches and events in terms of sports will be crucial.

So that's the date to aim for regarding those extra kilos. No problem with training or miles, its the sweet stuff that has been a killer

• Advertisement
Advertisement