Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Snooker season 2020/21

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

A bit tentative on certain shots, needed more power on the split there and another frame could have opened up. Still, with 4 weeks to world qualiiers, some definite signs of encouragement there i think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,472 ✭✭✭Arthur Daley

After so much back to back snooker since October, just thought there, for 120 players there is just the Worlds left now and other than that the season is done when they lose here.

Edit: I suppose there are champions league etc. but in terms of regular ranking events.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,547 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

robinwing wrote: »
    Aaron playing Jamie Clarke in the second round

It's at 9am and Shaun Murphy, Mark Allen and Anthony McGill are all playing on other tables at the same time. No chance Aaron will be on telly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,854 ✭✭✭zuutroy

After so much back to back snooker since October, just thought there, for 120 players there is just the Worlds left now and other than that the season is done when they lose here.

Edit: I suppose there are champions league etc. but in terms of regular ranking events.

The pro series is a ranker and the qualifiers for Sheffield are tiered again this year so there's some motivation to do well in it for a lot of players. Looking forward to a bit of a break now as the full week of qualifiers, then 17 days of Sheffield, then the Seniors was a long haul on the couch last summer!

Still a bit of a dogfight going on for top 16 crucible seeding so this and world series thing potentially quite significant. Lisowski, Perry, Thepchaiya, Zhou all battling for last spot. Bingham looks doomed to the qualifiers this year.

Disaster for aaron there. Had chances to put pink away with opponent needing snooker but left the chance there and clarke pretty much schooled him. Expensive lessons at this level.

Fair play to the young Ukrainian kid boiko. Had won a grand total of 6 frames all season, already eclipsed that over past 2 days. Giving allen a right rattle here.

Aaron claws one back with the help of a massive fluke to 2-3, life in it yet.

Looked like a fluke from allen on final black to win it. Boiko be kicking himself, had golden chance to win it.

• Advertisement

And thats it for aaron. Had a chance there as he had in nearly all the frames. Cue ball control something he has to work really hard on with 4 weeks to world qualifiers. Lot of his issues are flowing from that i think.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,903 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

Jimmy beats Bingham. I did not expect that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,477 ✭✭✭AllForIt

Rothko wrote: »

Both played poorly has to be said.

Wakelen one away from beating Selby. Hope he can pull it off.

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭robinwing

Mark Allen playing dreadfully badly , winning on a fluke ball , what a downturn in form . Jimmy White winning against Bingham and Anthony Hamilton having a good run . The old boys live to fight another day.

Wakelen gets an easy chance to finish it off. Selby out.

Rothko wrote: »

Just saw that. Quite amazed!

• Advertisement

zuutroy wrote: »
    Just saw that. Quite amazed!

It was an oddly entertaining match. Because both were playing to a poor standard and it became a match of who would be less annoyed with themselves who would get over the line.

A winnable match tomorrow morning for him too. Would be great to see him have a deep run somewhere, sometime!

Trump the only big hitter left in the competition now. Be a miracle if Milkins beat him in next round. Shaun Murphy and Mark Allen must be thinking " if only Trump was gone "

This week should really be an opportunity for the likes of lisowski or gilbert to finally get a trophy to their name. Both also need to lock in their crucible seeding so they don't lack for motivation. With selby gone, judd has nailed the 150k bonus bet victor series prize, so may relax now, giving milkins a chance. Never know with judd though!

And jimmy marches on to the last 16 to face selby conqueror Chris Wakelin. Some nervy stuff in the finish there! Just how far can jimmy go? A lot of fun finding out.

• Advertisement

Jimmy made a bit of a hash of the pink and black safety battle to go 2-2 instead of 3-1 up.

Well it's home James now.
    Still a decent little run for Jimmy to get to the last 16

The modest 4k jimmy earned this week, barely cover his average stake on the nags probably, is actually enough to push him into the places to retain his card on the one year money list. So a good week all told. Might yet not have to make that phone call to barry at the seasons end!

Judd V Jack show back by popular demand . Great if Mark Allen could nail Judd though , cant see it happening

Lisowski going about it the hard way if he wants to set up a final with Trump. Decider against Carrington he'll have played 14 frames already today.

Would be a bit cruel for jack to reach his third final of the season and be denied by judd again. You'd think over this format, with the extra motivation to win his first ever title, that this should be his best ever chance to beat judd. Of course, can just sit back first and hope judd isn't in the final at all!

Judd just selbied selt there. The flippin gibraltar open and he's still fighting like a demon.

Poor selty didnt get much run on his birthday. But cant be reaching sfs and expecting better chances than he got today. Never looked like he fancied that yellow with the rest and barely made the postcode with his attempt. Judd v jack for the encore it shall be.

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭eric hoone

Lisowski has a fighting chance in a race to 4

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭eric hoone

eric hoone wrote: »
    Lisowski has a fighting chance in a race to 4

Maybe not

• Advertisement

I thought this might be a chance for jack too, he'd want it that much more than judd. But how ruthless is judd? 13-2 for his last 15 ranking finals. Silly of me to expect any sort of let up, even for his best mate in the game!

Not going to happen for Lisowski now after that pink.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,903 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

Yeah, I think that miss on the pink has sealed it for Trump.

It's as if he thought he had the frame as good as won and lost concentration. Same as Selt did earlier by butchering an easy positional shot for the yellow after doing all the hard work.

That £150k BetVictor bonus is a nice little tickle.

Feel a bit for jack. When Yan Bingtao got to the final in riga a couple of years back, he only had to beat mark joyce to win his first title. Winning a title could make such a difference for jack but he gets a not far off A game judd tonight. As usual comes across really well in his interview but you wonder does he have that ruthless mean streak in him all the top guys have.

Reanne and On Yee given 2 year tour cards. Mixed response on Twitter but I think it's a good idea.

Nothing against Reanne, don't know much about the other player. Women have always been a big market for snooker. At the end of the day, the results will do the talking.

I suspect there are a few extra places to fill for next season so this makes sense. There are only 29 players on 2 year cards this season, compared to 35 last year, so even with an extra four being allocated to the one year list rankings, that still leaves 2 to play around with - hence maybe the decision to award them via the women's rankings. Anything that can help promote the game among young women is definitely ok by me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,187 ✭✭✭waynescales1

Reanne Evans and Mark Allen have a child together, I did not know that.

Evans has actually been quite competitive in her recent WC qualifiers. Took 8 frames off Ken one year, 7 off Dale another.

This announcement has me thinking about why men and women don't compete against eachother in sport. The obvious reason in most sports being the difference in strength, muscle and athleticism. However, this doesn't really apply to snooker, but there's still a very obvious gap in standard. I wonder what could account for this.

Participation and history. In the UK in the 70s and 80s it was game played primarily by working class men and not an atmosphere that women would have felt comfortable in, or probably even been welcome in. Reanne is the best of a tiny tiny player pool comparatively. If there was increased participation by women then after a couple of generations there's no reason that I can think of why some wouldn't be competitive with the best male players.

Not a darts follower but maybe that sport is ahead in terms of women playing and making some breakthroughs. Absolutely no reason they can't compete beyond societal. Rachel Blackmore has made it in horse racing, a sport only a few years ago the consensus had it they'd never be strong enough to match the males. Not so, just give them the encouragement and opportunity and all they need is time.

Reanne was on tour for a year before and didn't win a match. I dont know how either of them will fare this time, but point about the next gen is spot on. You have to nurture it.

Mink got a 147 , she is a teenager still , thought she would get prominence in last 2 years , but no. She didn't get 1 shot in the shootout won by Ryan Day this year . She broke off and sat out the 10 minutes !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,508 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Problem is that kids tend to be good at multiple sports before concentrating on one, and as long as snooker (and darts) insist that women need to compete with men in order to win the real money, then they'd be mad to choose those sports.

Like if your teenage daughter can knock in 50 breaks at snooker, beat every girl in her county at tennis, run 100M in 13 seconds and shoot sub 85s on a golf course, then there's a solid case for you to stump up a few grand to get proper coaching and see where it leads. Which sport would you choose - surely the ones where she can potentially make a lucrative career competing against just other women?

So the whole 'we are open to everyone, our sport aren't sexist' line that Matchroom pull is a bit flawed as by definition it acts as a barrier to that nextgen idea.

Not sure i get that argument tbh. We know snooker is always going to struggle compared to other sports, it has some inherently inbuilt disadvantages. But that surely doesnt mean you dont try everything you can to promote it and encourage it to as wide a cross section as possible. I have my doubts whether anyone here will see a top ranked female player within their lifetimes, but it's still the correct thing to do imo.

I'm not sure about here but i know in amateur snooker across the uk women are still barred from some competitions and there are still men only snooker clubs. I dont think that should be happening in 2021.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,508 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Not sure i get that argument tbh. We know snooker is always going to struggle compared to other sports, it has some inherently inbuilt disadvantages. But that surely doesnt mean you dont try everything you can to promote it and encourage it to as wide a cross section as possible. I have my doubts whether anyone here will see a top ranked female player within their lifetimes, but it's still the correct thing to do imo.

I'm not sure about here but i know in amateur snooker across the uk women are still barred from some competitions and there are still men only snooker clubs. I dont think that should be happening in 2021.

I didn't know that there were still men only clubs/tournaments in the UK - that's obviously terrible.

My point (badly made) was probably better directed at waynescales post about why women aren't better at snooker and there being no real physical bar to them being able to match men.

My reply would be that as long as snooker has no separate tour for women then is no real incentive for them to ever choose it as a sport to take seriously as a potential career. Saying 'they can compete against men and if they are good enough they win the big bucks, so get practising girls' seems on the face a fair and logical approach.
    But as long as other sports don't share this viewpoint then it doesn't work.

A huge percentage of sportspeople tend to be good at multiple sports and at some stage of their lives they have to make a decision. For a woman, concentrating on snooker would be a terrible bad decision when there's far easier money to made in segregated women's cricket, soccer, rugby etc.

This was brought home to me today reading about the female volleyball player in dispute about pregnancy leave in Italy. Now volleyball wouldn't be a sport on my radar at all, so I was surprised to read that €50K is a common enough women's contract in various Euro Leagues, much more for elite players.

Even in snooker we had say Alison Fisher who could have spent a few decades hanging around the 80 mark in the rankings continually fighting for her card. Instead she earned $6M on the Women's Pool Tour in USA and Asia. I'd be surprised if Mink doesn't end up going the same route (notwithstanding that pool isn't in a great situation currently worldwide).

Obviously Barry is never going to go for a women's snooker circuit with 10 x £250K events, so the situation isn't going to suddenly change.

Anyway, sorry for the long rambling post. Off to drag the nieces off their 6x3 table and see if they are any good at volleyball.

No worries AJ, i think actually i misread your earlier post so the fault really lies with me. I see the point you are making and it is a fair one. Thing is, though, there is a separate womens federation and a womens tour with around 8 ranking events and Reanne and Ng On Yee joining main tour wont change that. Decision to give womens federation the cards is basically a one off thing, not an annual arrangement. I'm sure they'll do it again but it's not a fixed thing like q school or challenge tour. If anything positive did come out of it, then i think it would benefit the womens tour as well and it does need all the help it can get.

I take the point about talented kids choosing routes that might offer potentially better financial rewards. Thats true but it's same for mens game too and always will be. If Aaron Hill hadnt been rejected by Cork City, for example, he'd probably never have got into snooker at all. Ronnie once had a trial with spurs, who knows where he'd have gone had that worked out differently? Personally, and with my own kids, i've always encouraged them to play as many sports as possible and, if they have obvious talent, then make a choice that suits them. Sure, many will go for the money, but i think plenty too will go for their passion, however much gold lines the road ahead.

First step is to get people exposed to the sport, though. I think that is snookers biggest challenge.

As regards mens only clubs, Rebecca Kenna is the top amateur in the uk and has been fairly outspoken about her experiences in being refused to play in competitions because they were taking place in certain clubs.

https://wst.tv/qualifying-rounds-extended-by-two-days/

Confirmation that world qualifiers will have same format as last year - 2 rounds of bo11 and final round of bo19. And to be extended by 2 days so more matches can be televised. 16 days left to qualifier draw.

Some performance by Ronnie yesterday in the Pro Series. Didn't see much of it, but he basically didn't play a safety all day, attempted a 2-cushion thin glance break-off and played his next shot one handed against Tom Ford. In the next frame he let out a massive fart and had a fit of the giggles while continuing his break. Needless to say, he finished last in his group!

• Advertisement
Advertisement