Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2020 French Open

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

Very enjoyable contest.

Nole was very impressive.

The king of clay Rafa will be have his hands full if they meet.

Vamos Nadal.

Carreno Busta alongside young Sinner has a bright future.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,854 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

seligehgit wrote: »
    Very enjoyable contest.

Vamos Nadal.

I must have been watching a different match to you. Thought he struggled throughout against a fairly limited PCB. First set was shocking, Djokovic definitely raised his level afterwards but seems to be a physical issue there.

ND was not exactly fully right but CB wasn't exactly a world-beater tonight so he (ND) could get through.

Depends on how the bicep thing (left) gets sorted / sorts itself out.

I must have been watching a different match to you. Thought he struggled throughout against a fairly limited PCB. First set was shocking, Djokovic definitely raised his level afterwards but seems to be a physical issue there.

Apologies

He was poor in the first set.

The neck/arm injury seemed to impede him in that first set.

I thought Carreno Busta played well but failed to capitalise on his opportunities.

This only my opinion.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,005 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

seligehgit wrote: »
    Very enjoyable contest.

Vamos Nadal.

Carreno is 29 which in tennis terms is somewhat old.:p

He is what he is, a limited version of Ferrer, nothing wrong with that, got to the US open semi final last month. I don't expect him to clear up whatsoever but he can vulture some events once the oldies slow down .

Sinner though is obviously the real deal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,637 ✭✭✭✭josip

Did Busta say/imply after the match that Djokovic's supposed injury was just gamesmanship?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,832 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

josip wrote: »
    Did Busta say/imply after the match that Djokovic's supposed injury was just gamesmanship?

Thats what it looked like to me, anyway.

https://tennishead.net/djokovic-accused-of-feigning-injury-by-carreno-busta-he-has-been-doing-it-for-years/
    “He didn’t surprise me [that he asked for a physio],” Carreno Busta told the press of Djokovic.

“It’s a good thing. It’s a sign that he is losing and that I was playing well, because he always does that.

“It’s something that he has been doing for years. When he is down, he asks for the trainer.”

Djokovic will now face Stefanos Tsitsipas on Friday for a place in the final – his first top ten opponent since the Australian Open in January.

Well Djokovic didn't seem to be moving that well to me until into the second set - he didn't even move to go for some shots.

He said

https://tennishead.net/i-had-some-pain-but-i-dont-want-to-reveal-too-much-says-novak-djokovic-after-quarterfinal-win/
    “I had some neck issues and some shoulders issues, I don’t want to reveal too much as I am still in the tournament,” Novak Djokovic explained. “Pain faded away as the match went on and I warmed up.

“I don’t want to sound like I’m complaining and obviously he was a better player for a set and a half. I was hitting myself, which I don’t recommend.

“I definitely didn’t feel great on the court for an hour, hour and a half. I definitely didn’t feel great coming into the court today.

“A few things happened in the warmup. I had to deal with those physical issues coming onto the court.

“As the pain went on, I felt much better. I didn’t feel as much pain.

“But, you know, I don’t want to take away anything from his good performance. Especially for a set and a half he was the better player, dictating the play.

“I was very neutral. I didn’t have much of energy really happening in my legs or movement or game itself. It took me about a set and a half to get comfortable and start really playing the way I should.

Djokovic's new tactic to vent his frustration seems to be to hit himself with the racket.

Fair enough considering he gave away a certain Grand Slam in New York.

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭lostcat

josip wrote: »

He did more than imply it.

funny kind of gamesmanship to give up the first set.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,854 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

It's fairly obvious that there's a genuine physical issue. He was shocking for the first set and a half. Improved after that but still wasn't firing on all cylinders. Adrenaline and/or painkillers kicked in and got him through the match but will be interesting Vs. Tsitsipas tomorrow if he's still carrying a knock.

• Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,283 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

Kvitova :(

• Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

100 goes pre tournament and i still don't think anybody would have come up with a Swiatek-Kenin final. Swiatek hasnt dropped a set singles or doubles and is in line to win both, seriously impressive. Think she'll have too much for kenin.

looking forward to the mens semis today, for all the talk of possible upsets in both matches, Nadal isn't going to serve a poorly as he did in Rome and he probably won't drop a set.

An upset is more likely in the other match, but if Djokovic is fit, it I can't see Tsitsipas redlining for 3 sets.

Unlike a few on here, I actually want to see a Nadal Djokovic Final. There aren't going to be many more chances to see these two contest a slam final, and with Nadal going for 20 and Djokovic going for the 2nd career slam, it would be an epic.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,533 ✭✭✭Floppybits

Schwartzman struggling on the serve and not taking his chances when he gets a break point. If he keeps this up it will be over sooner than he thinks.

In saying that Nadal is playing well.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,637 ✭✭✭✭josip

Tsitsipas pushed Djokovic hard all the way to hold his serve in the first game and then gave up his own service game in a couple of minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,005 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

FFS Thiem ,,he should have beat Diego the other night.

Would have been a much more interesting semi than we got, Diego was game but with that serve over 5 sets near impossible to beat Rafa on clay.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,306 Mod ✭✭✭✭mzungu

I expected Schwartzman to put up a better fight, but there you go.

I doubt Tsitsipas will trouble Djokovic too much.

First set taken down (after 3 very profligate points from 40 up by Djokovic in his service game then a lucky net-cord on duece).

You'd have to think that it will be a 4-setter max

Some amount of drop-shots in the colder conditions.

Obvious gamesmanship here from Djokovic, pretending not to be injured...

• Advertisement

Tsitsipas finally waking up, was too passive for too long

There is a special breed of gobshyte that you'll only find in a French crowd!

Game on now

Federer is probably at home slurping a Greek yogurt.

That break didn't last long

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,832 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

glasso wrote: »
    There is a special breed of gobshyte that you'll only find in a French crowd!

Game on now

Federer is probably at home slurping a Greek yogurt.

What was going on with the 'crowd', i missed it?

Just tuning in now.

We've got a match on our hands!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,653 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Just far too many unforced errors.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

whiterebel wrote: »

What was going on with the 'crowd', i missed it?

Some muppet was shouting at Djokovic three times in the one game to put him off.

Might have been thrown out. Not sure.

When Tsipsipas broke in the 2nd game of the 4th set.

So it's a fiverr after all.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,306 Mod ✭✭✭✭mzungu

Tsitsipas hanging in there.

Going 5!

• Advertisement

He levels it up.

Good man Tsitsipas.

Advertisement