Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Disney’s Jungle Cruise

• 11-10-2019 11:21pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,881 ✭✭✭✭

Inspired by the famous Disneyland theme park ride, Disney’s JUNGLE CRUISE is an adventure-filled, Amazon-jungle expedition starring Dwayne Johnson as the charismatic riverboat captain and Emily Blunt as a determined explorer on a research mission. Also starring in the film are Edgar Ramirez, Jack Whitehall, with Jesse Plemons, and Paul Giamatti.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

Did.. did they dub over some of The Rocks lines? At one point it even looks like he says different words than what it looks like he's saying.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,495 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Indiana Jones meets The Mummy

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

That looks ... Not terrible. The Rock at least guarantees a certain degree of watchability and it couldn't be any worse than Disney's last post-Pirate theme park adaptation, the Haunted Mansion.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    Indiana Jones meets The Mummy
    Wasn't that just... The Mummy? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

Looks Ok. I like Blunt and I like Johnson.

I hope they're going to make a joke about the fact that there are no hippos in South America.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Another trailer popped up; the monsters give it a very Pirates of the Caribbean vibe, which is possibly intentional.

I pretty much like The Rock in anything, but I'm struggling with him in a child's captains hat wielding a ukulele.

But yes, Jumaji of the Caribbean.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

Improved trailer from the first.. what with the voice matching the lip movements! :)

It looks like it's fun and I've heard it's supposed to be full of nods to an actual ride at Disney so I'm guessing it'll be a hit with Disney Park fans.

Dades wrote: »
    I pretty much like The Rock in anything, but I'm struggling with him in a child's captains hat wielding a ukulele.

But yes, Jumaji of the Caribbean.

I could maybe buy into that outfit on someone else but The Rock just looks completely ridiculous, like a cartoon character. Aside from that it's looks like it might be fun.

Jungle Cruise in cinemas and Disney+ with premier access on Friday, July 30th

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,031 ✭✭✭✭bnt

Slydice wrote: »
    Did.. did they dub over some of The Rocks lines? At one point it even looks like he says different words than what it looks like he's saying.
    Old comment, I know, but it's fairly common for actors to have to re-do their own lines in the studio, using a process called ADR (automated dialogue replacement). Dialogue recorded on location can sometimes be too noisy to use.

Death has this much to be said for it:
    You don’t have to get out of bed for it.
    Wherever you happen to be
    They bring it to you—free.

— Kingsley Amis

Yet another trailer; no question it's looking like a cross between Indiana Jones & Pirates of the Caribbean. And like it might be fun, though there's a little too much CGI to maintain the sense of peril in some of those scenes. Still on track for cinemas & Disney+

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

Looked terrible until Jesse Plemons showed up. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭flasher0030

Mr Crispy wrote: »
    Looked terrible until Jesse Plemons showed up. :pac:

I didn't recognise that name, so did a quick google. Turns out I was going to put up a post about him several weeks ago. There was a couple of weeks where every second movie I watched had him in it. And he was always some supporting role or small role in a film. I had recognised him as being the crazy guy from Breaking Bad.

Judas & the Black Messiah
    El Camino
    The Irishman
    Vice
    Game night

Anyway, great actor, especially at playing psychos doing crazy shlt, but just passing it off as a regular run-of-the-mill

I just can't take Johnson seriously in that hat.

It does look very similar to PotC, I actually thought "I wonder if they've brought back Cortez's gold from the first one?" There were some skeletal looking pirates and we know Disney likes a shared universe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,586 ✭✭✭brevity

Looks like fun.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Don't get me wrong, it looks like fun and I'll give it a watch. But I watched the trailer yesterday with the Mrs and she instantly copped that it's basically The Mummy (1999) in the jungle.

- Duo of British siblings (brother and sister) go after a legend in a far away land. Emily Blunt is a doctor in this whilst Rachel Weiz was an Egyptologist. The brother, Jack Whitehall is not a fighter just like John Hannah in The Mummy.
    - They meet up with an American who'll agree to bring them to said place. Said American will be gung-ho and do all the fighting (Brendan Fraiser / The Rock)
    - They'll release something and all hell breaks loose and they got to stop it.

Sure enough didn't Rachel Weiz's character mistakenly hit Brendan Fraiser's and go "oh sorry" in the mummy too?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,284 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Will look forward to watching this with the family.

I really like both the leads, even though The Rock looks suspiciously like a ex-wrestler squeezed into a panto' captains uniform.

Hey, at least they avoided getting Hans Zimmer to do the score.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭santana75

Out this Friday......interesting to note that Omniplex aren't showing this at all. I wanted to book a few tickets for this weekend but it wasnt listed so I mailed Omniplex who got back to me saying the listing would be up In the next couple of hours. I checked again the next day and no listing so I mailed them once more only for them to reply saying they had decided not to run Jungle cruise. Something to do with it streaming on Disney+ aswell. Seems odd, I'm certain it's gonna be a massive hit and there's plenty of people who'd prefer to see it in theatres as opposed to at home.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,305 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Reviews don't seem too bad...but not pulling me in.

I can see it doing kind of poorly tbh

Is this getting any kind of Disney+ release either premium access or straight to streaming? Or is it just theatrical?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,305 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

I think it's cinema and premium access on Disney plus

It'll be an interesting experiment to see whether The Rock really can sell any 'aul material. I'm immediately not down on this film, 'cos I am a sucker for anything that tries to channel adventuring in that era, but Pirates of the Caribbean really has been the exception to the (truly weird) rule of Disney Theme Park Rides translated to movies.

Post edited by pixelburp on

• Registered Users Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭ThePott

I was messaging them as well and they didn't mention the Disney+ factor as a reason.

Seems odd though considering they're still showing Cruella, Black Widow and Raya and the Last Dragon despite them being Premiere Access as well. Maybe they just figured they wouldn't make much from this and might as well take a stand while they're at it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

It could also be code from Omni that "we expect the majority to just download it illegally anyways"

There was reports that Black Widow was the highest torrented movie of 2021 so far.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,515 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Meets the African Queen.... it's Charlie Allnut only ripped.

The Rock is pretty much box office gold so even in the current situation it will do well in the cinema and streaming imho

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,881 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Not brilliant by any stretch however it was fun as you would expect from the Rock.

A bit of a mad shout after watching it Jack Whitehall would actually make a good replacement for Denholm Elliott's Brody in the Indy franchise if they are going to continue it after Indy 5.

Post edited by Agent Coulson on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,668 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

best thing was the Metallica music! otherwise it was like an old pot boiler matinee film and not sure where the $200m production budget went apart from the arse pockets of Blunt and the Rock?, could be a flop. Didn't like Plemons as the twirly mochasted baddie and Whitnell was annoying as the camp sidekick, doesnt feel like a must see cinema film

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭santana75

I loved it! Saw it earlier in the theatre and the audience seemed to really like it. It's very much ripping Indy and Pirates of the Caribbean off but its got enough charm to just about get away with it. It's a fun film and one of those rare ones you can bring the whole family to see without any fear. The lovely Emily blunt is charming, she has this quality where she'll lend any film she's in a heart and sincerity. Margot robbie has the same quality only EB has it x100. The only gripe I have about the whole thing is the fact that DJ is just too physically big to convince as a romantic lead. He's very good here, don't get me wrong, but I just couldn't buy any kind of romance between his character and emily blunt's. Think Ryan Gosling would've been perfect for this.

Anyway that aside it's a lot of fun and it's clear everyone had an absolute ball making this, it shows up on the screen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,552 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Liked that they had all the puns in this, same as the ride.

Had a look, kiddie panto but with cgi.

Johnson and Blunt did a lot of the heavy lifting here through sheer chemistry and charisma alone, while the film wore its influences pretty brazenly on its sleeve; Indiana Jones being the obvious one (especially during that first set-piece in the museum), but also 1999's The Mummy, with Blunt & Jack Whitehall's characters broadly similar to that older movie's own - Rachel Weiz and Jon Hannah's characters specifically. So despite the now standard excessive runtime for a blockbuster, and some pretty terrible green-screen compositing, I'd be lying if I didn't enjoy myself and the ride, simply because of that easy charisma & shamelessness. And bonus points for its period London not being that generic wash of grays and browns, but vibrant colour.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,478 ✭✭✭✭DvB

Went to see this with the family on Friday & we all enjoyed it thoroughly, it was a real popcorn flick with nods to Jumanji, The Mummy, Indy & a few others, didn't take itself too seriously & was good fun to watch.

FTR was great to be finally back in a cinema... it had been far too long.

"I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Advertisement

Fun fact: The real life Prince Joachim was briefly considered as a replacement monarch for Ireland by the 1916 Rising organisers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

I was pretty bored with it, a poor man's POTC. Hopefully it doesn't turn into a franchise

It was predictable and not funny. A heap of tropes from other, far better movies thrown together. Turned it off about halfway through.

Dwane is better in buddy type films, you want him riffing off Statham , Wahlberg or similar and the film looked like it was filmed in a theme park

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

This is another Disney+ film, after Black Widow, whose FX have looked suspiciously ropey in many places. I wonder because of the rejigging of release has there been a tightening of time allowed on the FX. The spell of the film, especially the various waxing lyrical of the jungle's beauty, was frequently broken by some ugly compositing.

Maybe it's as the "Pitch Meeting" series on YouTube snarked, and the lack of location shooting was simply due to the real Amazon being on fire ATM 😥

• Advertisement

It was a fun movie. My kids enjoyed it anyway.

Good chemistry between The Rock and EB... until it started to get "romantic".

He's just too stuffed into his costume to take seriously as what he is supposed to be in the movie (no spoilers).

Agree a non-mountain sized actor would have made this more believable (if that's a word I can even use here!)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,718 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

A lot of these films look shite regardless (haven’t seen this one), but in my experience SFX heavy films tend to look worse on TVs anyway. They’re properly graded and designed to look good when projected, but that’s all out the window with the glossy, anything goes HD of a home display. Taken away from the big screen, a lot of films’ visual shortcomings and effects limitations become all too apparent.

Yes, thank you. I'm glad I wasn't the only one who felt it exceedingly bizarre watching Johnson play a romantic co-lead; the chemistry really worked until that pivot, at which point my brain couldn't deal with the idea. Everything else fanciful in the movie? Oh yeah sure, Emily Blunt sold it as best she could, but just don't look me in the eye and suggest The Rock works as a romantic target 😃

Hmmm that's a fair observation. I was frequently very surprised just how poor the backdrops looked in otherwise innocuous moments. It was especially strange given there was a moment where Blunt's character, while using a hand-crank film camera, observed how inauthentic film could look, compared with the beauty of the real jungle. Uhhh...

the long shots of London and the cars, was that CGI or real , it looked good but just too crisp almost?

Knowing how most of Hollywood works, I'd say maybe one or two cars in the foreground were real, the rest CGI. Even items just across the road seemed greenscreen, such as when Emily Blunts character landed from her fall off the ladder.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,680 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

I struggle to even call this dumb fun. And after the half-way twist re: a certain character it lost me completely. I'd rather re-watch all the films this is desperately riffing on than watch it again.

As for Johnson, I agree he's no Michael Douglas in the romantic lead department but I think the far bigger problem here is the twist that he's actually an immortal 400-year-old conquistador and the inexplicable change of personality that happens when this is revealed.

$81 million worldwide after its first week, off of a $200 million budget. CoVid and Disney+ as always a factor; smells like a flop though without knowing how Disney+ swings things ... Black Widow still managed ~$300 million with an identical release approach, even if it's a stronger, existing franchise.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,680 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Suicide Squad 2 doing poorly as well. R-rated but even so, presumedly everyone is just torrenting it instead. None of this bodes well for Dune, which may have the added disadvantage of being released during another spate of lockdowns.

Yeah, very hard to know though on the lockdown front; the EU's vaccination rate is starting to hit herd immunity levels AFAIK (we're at 70% start of August; go us), so lockdowns might only be localised. To the US, who the F knows, given the right has politicised even taking the damn vaccine in the first place that uptake has plateaued. China, I wouldn't have any knowledge of there- though IIRC they've had some Delta lockdowns I think?

Suicide Squad 2 flopping is not wholly surprising; whilst I've been enthused enough for the picture, coming so close on the heels of the infamously bad first film - while also giving it a functionally identical title - has felt like a poor marketing decision. Agree about Dune as well, though hopefully given it already has a greenlit TV series there's a longterm intention at play beyond mega-success at the box office.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

It was worth the price of entry for the joke about the cross eyed girlfriend alone.

• Advertisement
Advertisement