Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Disney’s Jungle Cruise

• 11-10-2019 11:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 60,270 ✭✭✭✭

Inspired by the famous Disneyland theme park ride, Disney’s JUNGLE CRUISE is an adventure-filled, Amazon-jungle expedition starring Dwayne Johnson as the charismatic riverboat captain and Emily Blunt as a determined explorer on a research mission. Also starring in the film are Edgar Ramirez, Jack Whitehall, with Jesse Plemons, and Paul Giamatti.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

Did.. did they dub over some of The Rocks lines? At one point it even looks like he says different words than what it looks like he's saying.

• Registered Users Posts: 84,788 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Indiana Jones meets The Mummy

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

That looks ... Not terrible. The Rock at least guarantees a certain degree of watchability and it couldn't be any worse than Disney's last post-Pirate theme park adaptation, the Haunted Mansion.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,557 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    Indiana Jones meets The Mummy
    Wasn't that just... The Mummy? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

Looks Ok. I like Blunt and I like Johnson.

I hope they're going to make a joke about the fact that there are no hippos in South America.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Another trailer popped up; the monsters give it a very Pirates of the Caribbean vibe, which is possibly intentional.

I pretty much like The Rock in anything, but I'm struggling with him in a child's captains hat wielding a ukulele.

But yes, Jumaji of the Caribbean.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

Improved trailer from the first.. what with the voice matching the lip movements! :)

It looks like it's fun and I've heard it's supposed to be full of nods to an actual ride at Disney so I'm guessing it'll be a hit with Disney Park fans.

Dades wrote: »
    I pretty much like The Rock in anything, but I'm struggling with him in a child's captains hat wielding a ukulele.

But yes, Jumaji of the Caribbean.

I could maybe buy into that outfit on someone else but The Rock just looks completely ridiculous, like a cartoon character. Aside from that it's looks like it might be fun.

Jungle Cruise in cinemas and Disney+ with premier access on Friday, July 30th

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,955 ✭✭✭✭bnt

Slydice wrote: »
    Did.. did they dub over some of The Rocks lines? At one point it even looks like he says different words than what it looks like he's saying.
    Old comment, I know, but it's fairly common for actors to have to re-do their own lines in the studio, using a process called ADR (automated dialogue replacement). Dialogue recorded on location can sometimes be too noisy to use.

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

Yet another trailer; no question it's looking like a cross between Indiana Jones & Pirates of the Caribbean. And like it might be fun, though there's a little too much CGI to maintain the sense of peril in some of those scenes. Still on track for cinemas & Disney+

• Registered Users Posts: 7,635 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

Looked terrible until Jesse Plemons showed up. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭flasher0030

Mr Crispy wrote: »
    Looked terrible until Jesse Plemons showed up. :pac:

I didn't recognise that name, so did a quick google. Turns out I was going to put up a post about him several weeks ago. There was a couple of weeks where every second movie I watched had him in it. And he was always some supporting role or small role in a film. I had recognised him as being the crazy guy from Breaking Bad.

Judas & the Black Messiah
    El Camino
    The Irishman
    Vice
    Game night

Anyway, great actor, especially at playing psychos doing crazy shlt, but just passing it off as a regular run-of-the-mill

I just can't take Johnson seriously in that hat.

It does look very similar to PotC, I actually thought "I wonder if they've brought back Cortez's gold from the first one?" There were some skeletal looking pirates and we know Disney likes a shared universe.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,461 ✭✭✭brevity

Looks like fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,170 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Don't get me wrong, it looks like fun and I'll give it a watch. But I watched the trailer yesterday with the Mrs and she instantly copped that it's basically The Mummy (1999) in the jungle.

- Duo of British siblings (brother and sister) go after a legend in a far away land. Emily Blunt is a doctor in this whilst Rachel Weiz was an Egyptologist. The brother, Jack Whitehall is not a fighter just like John Hannah in The Mummy.
    - They meet up with an American who'll agree to bring them to said place. Said American will be gung-ho and do all the fighting (Brendan Fraiser / The Rock)
    - They'll release something and all hell breaks loose and they got to stop it.

Sure enough didn't Rachel Weiz's character mistakenly hit Brendan Fraiser's and go "oh sorry" in the mummy too?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,783 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Will look forward to watching this with the family.

I really like both the leads, even though The Rock looks suspiciously like a ex-wrestler squeezed into a panto' captains uniform.

Hey, at least they avoided getting Hans Zimmer to do the score.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭santana75

Out this Friday......interesting to note that Omniplex aren't showing this at all. I wanted to book a few tickets for this weekend but it wasnt listed so I mailed Omniplex who got back to me saying the listing would be up In the next couple of hours. I checked again the next day and no listing so I mailed them once more only for them to reply saying they had decided not to run Jungle cruise. Something to do with it streaming on Disney+ aswell. Seems odd, I'm certain it's gonna be a massive hit and there's plenty of people who'd prefer to see it in theatres as opposed to at home.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31,810 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Reviews don't seem too bad...but not pulling me in.

I can see it doing kind of poorly tbh

Is this getting any kind of Disney+ release either premium access or straight to streaming? Or is it just theatrical?

• Registered Users Posts: 31,810 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

I think it's cinema and premium access on Disney plus

It'll be an interesting experiment to see whether The Rock really can sell any 'aul material. I'm immediately not down on this film, 'cos I am a sucker for anything that tries to channel adventuring in that era, but Pirates of the Caribbean really has been the exception to the (truly weird) rule of Disney Theme Park Rides translated to movies.

Post edited by pixelburp on

• Registered Users Posts: 3,040 ✭✭✭ThePott

I was messaging them as well and they didn't mention the Disney+ factor as a reason.

Seems odd though considering they're still showing Cruella, Black Widow and Raya and the Last Dragon despite them being Premiere Access as well. Maybe they just figured they wouldn't make much from this and might as well take a stand while they're at it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,170 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

It could also be code from Omni that "we expect the majority to just download it illegally anyways"

There was reports that Black Widow was the highest torrented movie of 2021 so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,708 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Meets the African Queen.... it's Charlie Allnut only ripped.

The Rock is pretty much box office gold so even in the current situation it will do well in the cinema and streaming imho

• Registered Users Posts: 60,270 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Not brilliant by any stretch however it was fun as you would expect from the Rock.

A bit of a mad shout after watching it Jack Whitehall would actually make a good replacement for Denholm Elliott's Brody in the Indy franchise if they are going to continue it after Indy 5.

Post edited by Agent Coulson on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,837 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

best thing was the Metallica music! otherwise it was like an old pot boiler matinee film and not sure where the $200m production budget went apart from the arse pockets of Blunt and the Rock?, could be a flop. Didn't like Plemons as the twirly mochasted baddie and Whitnell was annoying as the camp sidekick, doesnt feel like a must see cinema film

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

Advertisement