Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Daniel Bryan Thread

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,013 Mod ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

DM-ICE wrote: »
    How things have changed.

The difference is incredible. I assume Bryan intentionally had this start-from-scratch approach (clean shaven, messed his words etc) to show how much he's improved (even his ROH promos were far better) but I had no idea he was as charismatic as he is right now! Blown away by it.

Wow, some justice really is done - Bryan's the hottest face in all of wrestling, main eventing with Cena for the WWE title, and The Miz is hosting SummerSlam. A great time to be a wrestling fan, where talent prevails.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

I got the impression he wasn't actually aware of what Miz was going to say so it was uncomfortable for him to literally be thrown in at the deep end, Miz knew his role, Bryan had to come up with his stuff on the spot (I might be wrong!).

Bryan did some really good stuff on NXT itself with Cole and his promo the week after elimination (in the summerslam thread), the difference was it looked like he knew what was planned ahead of time so had a chance to think about what he would say.

I have read they did a lot of things on NXT specifically to catch the NXT rookies off guard and its why it was a car crash. The Pros would have known the plans (In a later series there is a great bit where Bryan was Batemans pro they asked the pros and rookies a question to see if they came up with the same answer, it was obvious Bryan let Batman in on the nights plans and had come up with matching answers).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Looking back at some old threads and the opinions on Daniel Bryan/Brian Danielson are funny. Some didn't think he was up to anything at all, others were just delighted to see that he was being given a crack in WWE. Doubt many felt he would get to where he is today.

I know I said (cannot find the post, I'm sure some smart arse will oblige ;)) that I would eat a piece of clothing if he ever made it to world/wwe champion. This despite the fact that I have been an all round mark for the guy since I first saw him almost 10 years ago. I always felt he would be the company workhorse, but would never get that high on the card.

I can still say I am sonewhat shocked at how well he has done. Not due to his talent, I just felt WWE would not get behind him to the level that they have.

Though I will point out that I posted in 2009 that I think he could main event at WM 30. Opponent might be wrong, but main eventing that PPV may be spot on.

CM Punk is using the "Best In The World" moniker at the moment, but that's Dragons mantle , good and all as Punk is.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭MitchKoobski

gimmick wrote: »
    I know I said (cannot find the post, I'm sure some smart arse will oblige ;)) that I would eat a piece of clothing if he ever made it to world/wwe champion. This despite the fact that I have been an all round mark for the guy since I first saw him almost 10 years ago.
    We'll take that on a nice plate with a video as proof thanks!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

LpnRFhZ.png

Ah!

WWE was a completely different place 5 years ago with a locker room culture, administration and to be honest more stars to push who had a more conventional marketable look. WWE is the party that went through the most growth not Bryan.

When WWE signed Bryan I just thought his personality wouldn't translate to large venues. The acclaimed acoustic artist who wouldn't make the main stage of the festival.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36,103 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

the Kane deal also did him wonders.

he crossed over to a younger, more mainstream audience over that time as people engaged with an entertaining, funny, almost cartoon-like character. that has now been refined and he's now a serious performer whose brought those fans along with him, while still keeping the "smart" fans.

without anger management, the beard and "Yes", who knows if he'd ever have translated to the main stage. but my God has he managed to build himself some momentum with whatever he was given.

staggering.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,342 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

his booking for the most part since summerslam 2012 has been genius, he was always going to attract the hardcore smark followers but the hell no stuff opened him up to the kids and casuals

kids love this kind of stuff

• Closed Accounts Posts: 829 ✭✭✭smellmepower

The Yes/No stuff really was lightning in a bottle for him,doubt he'd have come as far as he has if he hadn't stole it off that MMA lad.Not a knock on his ability,but the normal WWE audience weren't that into him before it.

The beard and the Kane skits really put his character over the top and established him too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

My prediction

Flat out statement that he'd be a World Champ. Gis the lotto numbers plz Liz.

This'll be a long one so be warned. Daniel Bryan's success is hands down my favourite ever thing in wrestling. There genuinely isn't anybody who I could think of who deserved his shot in the WWE as much as he did. The indies are less interesting without him. One man. Says a lot.

Say what you will about Punk breaking the glass ceiling for indy guys and Rey breaking it for small guys but Punk didn't get the silly name change and Rey had been around for years at that stage. For me Daniel Bryan did a diving headbutt to that glass ceiling. He got the name change, was thrown in with a bunch of nobodies on NXT and was mentored by the Miz. To just overcome that is something, nevermind win a World title or make the YES! thing as much a part of the WWE as it is now.

The novelty of seeing Bryan Danielson on Sky Sports for NXT was brilliant. His release was more talked about than anything else to do with the Nexus angle, and that says a lot. His return at Summerslam was amazing and I remember marking out on here like a little child at the time. It was a real predecessor for the shoot stuff they've squeezed in these days.

Everybody who hadn't seen how good he was before saw it with his Miz and Ziggler feuds. It was the start of everybody getting on the Ziggler bandwagon too.

Even when he won MITB he was definitely going to be the first guy to lose cashing in. Everybody was convinced. And then he won it and he turned heel. Even when WWE tried to bury him it only made him bigger. He did a great little promo after the post-Mania RAW. The anger management stuff was the best thing Kane was involved with in years.

And here we are. He's in a feud with the McMahon's for ****sake. I'm really liking the way WWE are doing things these days and they've done a far better job with the Shield than anybody would've expected. They know in the back of their minds that they can't kill his buzz. He isn't a Ryder. No matter what happens he's the most likable guy in the company, the fans love him, he seems to have his head screwed on and has little to no heat ever and he can make anybody look good. He could wrestle gimmick's undigested (as of 21/08/2013) tie to a great match.

I was delighted just to see him win the US Title and look at what he's done in less than 5 years. To see where his is now from watching his ROH World Title run is enough to keep you watching wrestling. Couldn't have happened to a nicer guy.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

He's just a guy that engages with everyone.

The kids(and adults) love his antics, the Yes chants are just brilliant(can't wait for my next live event so I can take part) and the hardcore fans love what a brilliant worker he is. He has good matches every week and he's developed his character so much since first coming to the WWE and indeed since he started out in a school gym.

Really did remind of Austin vs McMahon on Monday. He draws the same kind of reaction and is as universally loved as Austin(notwithstanding Austin's behavior away from the ring but this isn't the place for that) .

Literally every match since he's come to the WWE that i've enjoyed has involved him. Speaks volumes.

• Advertisement

As i thought - some smart arse :D

Good post, and I agree with everything you say on the matter. Was delighted when I saw him win at SS. Oddly, despite feeling a bit gutted, was more delighted to see him lose it so fast in the manner he did.

Career wise, it will be looked back as a defining night. He had a near perfect match with the injured franchise player of the WWE in which we went over, clean without using his traditional finisher. Not many have had that honour. Had a tangle with the self proclaimed franchise player and has been catapulted into a money angle which will be top of the card possibly until Wrestlemania. The crowd absolutely love him, he has a brooding charisma about him and he is shagging a Bella.

its all come up Milhouse for American Dragon.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

• Registered Users Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Jester252

Bryan has the biggest fan base currently in the WWE. Cena is only really over with the kids and hated by the smarks. Punk and Ortan loved by smarks not so much by kids. Bryan can going from rapping on the JBL and Cole show to cutting great promos. He is over with smark/ adults and children.

I agree with Jester252 we should start the Daniel Bryan backlash.

Jester252 wrote: »
    Bryan has the biggest fan base currently in the WWE. Cena is only really over with the kids and hated by the smarks. Punk and Ortan loved by smarks not so much by kids. Bryan can going from rapping on the JBL and Cole show to cutting great promos. He is over with smark/ adults and children.

Orton is over with no one tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Jester252

gimmick wrote: »
    Orton is over with no one tbh.

He's over with Vinny Mac

• Registered Users Posts: 45,535 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

The Yes/No stuff really was lightning in a bottle for him,doubt he'd have come as far as he has if he hadn't stole it off that MMA lad.Not a knock on his ability,but the normal WWE audience weren't that into him before it.

The beard and the Kane skits really put his character over the top and established him too.

I agree with you on the Yes thing. I think this is what has got him where he is. It's been going on over a year now and fans are still doing it. I find it very entertaining myself and I don't think it will get old as the 'What' stuff did, but others might disagree on that.

I think the fact that Hunter appears to have quite a bit more influence on Vince could also be a factor in wrestlers getting more credit, though maybe that's just wishful thinking on my part.

I never would have thought he'd make it this far and I'm glad he proved me wrong on that score. I think the gimmick, though, has been a huge factor. In order to make it in WWE you need that 'E' element and I can't actually recall an entertaining promo he did in WWE besides the back and forth one with Michael Cole which I think was on NXT. The stuff with AJ when he had the belt didn't get him over, either. It was that Wrestlemania response before his 18 second match with Sheamus that made Vince sit up and take notice imo. That and the night after and all the fans doing the chanting.

'It is better to walk alone in the right direction than follow the herd walking in the wrong direction.'

A clip from 2008 about Bryan Danielson's WWE tryout with two respected columnists Wade Keller and Bruce Mitchell:

The ROH promo they briefly reference:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,915 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

I've never seen that retina-promo, and I have to say, it is extremely compelling stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,972 ✭✭✭cena

I have never been a fan of brain.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,915 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

cena wrote: »
    I have never been a fan of brain.

Bobby Heenan don't give a sh*t.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,054 ✭✭✭D.Q

let me preface this by saying that I am so happy that Bryan is in his current position, he's the most exciting performer in years, is so over and its absolutely incredible to see him getting everything he deserves.

however, a serious problem I see developing is that he just isn't imposing physically. I mean the babyface getting his revenge story is all well and good, and worked so well with Austin, becuase he was such a brawler you could believe that he could take out numerous guys.

I just dont buy that with Bryan, in a structured match, absolutely, I can 100% get behind him, but for these brawl segments, of which im sure there will be a few more, he just doesnt seem to cut it. Even steph towered over him.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

I wouldnt get too excited just yet. His title reign lasted only a couple of minutes at the end of the day. Also the little fact that WWE tried to bury him and he ended up forcing them to put him in the main event instead. Had Cena not been injured, would they have given Bryan the win? A fit Cena would go against Orton and co. An injured Cena however, needs someone else in the role.

The fact that he got over by himself is what worries me more than the fact that I think he's only getting the current storyline due to Cena being injured. Vince has never been fond of letting people be the star unless he decided they would be well in advance. I wont be convinced until he has a real title reign.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,342 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

gnfnrhead wrote: »

The fact that he got over by himself is what worries me more than the fact that I think he's only getting the current storyline due to Cena being injured. Vince has never been fond of letting people be the star unless he decided they would be well in advance. I wont be convinced until he has a real title reign.

alot of bryan getting over has had to do with wwe booking since last year, they were the ones that focused on the yes stuff like bringing a t-shirt out within days of mania 28, they were the ones that had bryan all over tv between mania and summerslam last year including 35 minutes in the ring interacting with punk/rock/vince at raw 1000, team hell no were all over tv and the tag belts were the number 2 title in wwe at that time (something that was unheard of in the years previous when those belts were treated poorly)

you can say bryan got over himself (which he did to a point) but compare bryans push and ryders a few years ago, you can only go so far without wwes backing, bryans single push since mania 29 is something ryder could only dream about

• Registered Users Posts: 9,820 ✭✭✭grames_bond

rossie1977 wrote: »
    you can say bryan got over himself (which he did to a point) but compare bryans push and ryders a few years ago, you can only go so far without wwes backing, bryans single push since mania 29 is something ryder could only dream about

well at the same time, there is a difference between these two.....Bryan can actually wrestle!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 829 ✭✭✭smellmepower

And he's not an annoying mark for himself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,543 ✭✭✭Mick Murdock

If wrestling was legit, I still don't see why it's so implausible that small gifted technical wrestler couldn't kick the sh*t out of a large muscle head. His size is irrelevant. It's a show.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,677 ✭✭✭2nd Row Donkey

D.Q wrote: »
    l

however, a serious problem I see developing is that he just isn't imposing physically. I mean the babyface getting his revenge story is all well and good, and worked so well with Austin, becuase he was such a brawler you could believe that he could take out numerous guys.

I just dont buy that with Bryan, in a structured match, absolutely, I can 100% get behind him, but for these brawl segments, of which im sure there will be a few more, he just doesnt seem to cut it. Even steph towered over him.

Interesting point. I feel the same but just didn't know it until I read your post.

Perhaps he could utilise a move something along the lines of a stunner or the RKO (but not the actual stunner/RKO) to add that threat to his character, some to neutralize an opponent from out of nowhere - no matter how big or strong.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,858 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

They should play to his technical ability for that. The commentators frequently talk about his repertoire of submissions, but if he added a little bit of jujitsu he could dodge, duck, dip, dive and dodge his way around long enough to clear the ring.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

I was saying for a while he should use the knee trembler Regal had, his move on Cena was perfect for him in my opinion as it can have a long set up like sweet chin music or more sudden.

Advertisement