Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The "Today I did something to my bike" thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

Trying to rack a few sheckles together and see if I can swing this....I will have to fly up from Meath. What nights are people doing...Tuesday?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

I'm doing Tuesday, I need the beginners course i know only the very basics right now. Can't wait to learn a bit more about mechanics and engines etc in general!

Zascar wrote: »
    I'm doing Tuesday, I need the beginners course i know only the very basics right now. Can't wait to learn a bit more about mechanics and engines etc in general!

Yep...that would be ideal for me also. I will give ya a buzz in a short.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭batman_oh

Today I rang a guy in the UK and arranged buying his KTM 990SMR as soon as possible. Just have to sell my 950 now!:pac:

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

I think I can speak for everyone here when I say: I hate you...
    :pac:

Fair play man, wear well!

Zascar wrote: »

I think I can speak for everyone here when I say: I hate you...
    :pac:

Fair play man, wear well!

Hopefully it all works out anyway! Have a few people asking about the 950. Smr has full akra evo system fitted so that's a nice free extra!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 709 ✭✭✭tracker-man

thecivvie wrote: »
    Wish there was. Would love to do the basics myself but too scared to try

I'm the opposite, I'm willing to chance doing it myself! Hopped on a bike for the first time ever just over a month ago. Since then I've changed the oil, oil filter, air filter, spark plugs, engine coolant all myself.
    Youtube is great for that kind of thing. The old man used to be a car mechanic so he'd have an idea of how to fit spark plugs etc.

Would like to play around with gears, forks, valve clearances, etc. but I think I'll leave it to the pros.

Wouldnt have a clue how to do anything else though. I'd like to know much more!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,061 ✭✭✭thecivvie

Stuck the optimate on the Deauville and covered the K1100 :) hopefully tomorrow evening is not so cold as I have to head to Galway for work

Join Ireland Weather Network

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭BlackWizard

I changed my sprockets and chains this week.

How long do I have to drive around like a nun? I was told to take it easy for a while. How long is that?

My last chain was an O-ring and somehow it developed a tight spot really quickly and didn't last long. This is a gold X-ring so I'm hoping this will be better.

• Advertisement

How long do I have to drive around like a nun? I was told to take it easy for a while. How long is that?

My last chain was an O-ring and somehow it developed a tight spot really quickly and didn't last long. This is a gold X-ring so I'm hoping this will be better.

Just do what you normally do. Chains work right from the off. Sure they are constantly replaced on race bikes and never bed in

Yummy, how much for both and where you get them from Wiz?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 989 ✭✭✭rat_race

Wonda-Boy wrote: »

I replaced mine in July. Bought them from motorcycleshop.ie.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

Not today but I finally (after four and half years:rolleyes:) cut down the fly screen on the 1400. It always looked completely gammy and there was more than an inch of a gap between the lamp and the screen. I would always take it off when the weather improved.

I did lots of marking, measuring and re-drilling and took a template from side to side before cutting it down thinking it would all help. I'm so freakin' pleased with it. It fits like a factory part and there's even less turbulence now. I feel like a nob for waiting so long. I know I'm having a bit of a nerd-gasm but it was just one of those satisfying jobs:D

237746.JPG

Man alive that is alot of BOIKE, great job. Would not be mad on the colour but ones mans meat and all that.....

I skimped on the last set and went o-ring. Not doing that again. I bought a X-ring gold DID ring for 124 euro including delivery (god I love parcelmotel).

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/YAMAHA-FZS600-FAZER-97-03-NEW-DID-X-RING-HEAVY-DUTY-GOLD-CHAIN-SPROCKET-KIT-/200858908279?ssPageName=ADME:L:OU:GB:1123

Anyone know what gold means? Is it just for looks? Tbh it doesnt look as good as brushed metal.

• Advertisement

@cantdecide That bike is gorgeous. What model is that?

I have a GS500 that I'll be selling this year after my Dad does his test on it. I'm thinking of a bandit 600/1200. I love that look of bike and there is something about them which makes it fun to ride. I don't know if it's the steering rake angle or the length of the chasis, just seems much more fun around city center than the fazer 600.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

I forgot to take the disc lock off my bike and torn the bollox out of a carbon fiber mudguard.. There, now thats what I did to my bike today :mad:

I forgot to take the disc lock off my bike and torn the bollox out of a carbon fiber mudguard.. There, now thats what I did to my bike today :mad:

OHHHHHH :mad:

What about the disc, that is mad money to replace?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

I took some CF55 to my chain last night and gave it a bit of a clean and then a lube.

Also tried to clean the front sprocket cover but I think it needs to soak in something to get the gunk off

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,498 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

Thats what prevents me from getting one. I know I would be guaranteed to tear off at some point without taking it off.

My plan today is to adjust the chain and give a good clean and lube. Hopefully the neighbour will be back soon as the post man dropped my new stand at the neighbours. Old one is done for.

• Advertisement

kaimera wrote: »
    I took some CF55 to my chain last night and gave it a bit of a clean and then a lube. Also tried to clean the front sprocket cover but I think it needs to soak in something to get the gunk off

Ordinary de-greaser and persistence, IME.

Balls! Just walk away from it. You'll chill and come up with a plan. It'll be good as new in the end.
    @cantdecide That bike is gorgeous. What model is that?

If you're not familiar at all with them, it's a GSX1400 and it's a K2. All of the later 14s had the pointy modern Suzuki graphics with black wheels but this colour scheme with the white wheels was always the one I had to have. I think KTRIC has one too.

The disc is grand.. Tell you what happened, and it really boils my piss.

A mate parks his bike right up along side mine every time, every f*cking time, and I can't straighten mine up to take it off the side stand, so I've to pull/wheel it backwards away from his bike.

It pisses me right off every time, more so that I've said it to him a number of times.

Well last night in temper I had to pull my bike out AGAIN! and forgot about the disc lock.

His a f*cking clown.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭serious3

ah thats a sickener makikomi:( think of it this way though you now have an excuse to buy something nice to replace it!

i refitted the front wheel after having a new front tyre fitted

The disc is grand.. Tell you what happened, and it really boils my piss.

A mate parks his bike right up along side mine every time, every f*cking time, and I can't straighten mine up to take it off the side stand, so I've to pull/wheel it backwards away from his bike.

It pisses me right off every time, more so that I've said it to him a number of times.

Well last night in temper I had to pull my bike out AGAIN! and forgot about the disc lock.

His a f*cking clown.

FFS, surely as a biker he knows what you mean and after asking him he could not just leave you a bit more room ffs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,061 ✭✭✭thecivvie

Went to top up the brake fluid but all 4 screws are rusted and rounded, first time since I got the bike I have had to do it. Have to get some stainless screws and remove the existing ones somehow

And drove to Connemara in the pouring rain and about to head back to town now

Join Ireland Weather Network

today I:

cleaned the front sprocket cover. I don't think I'll ever get the **** off my hands, even with gloves on!

took the grabbar/rear fairing off - 4 bolts + 2 bolts/2 screws and off they come. Uncle does panel work so gonna get him to respray parts of the bike for me. Needed to know how easy stuff is to take on/off.

put my bellypan back on

fixed up with clutch lever a bit - it was sagging at a bit at the bars so stuck a washer under it to shove it up a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭designbydan

Today I :

Broke my bike :(. Well the chain at least. It's just snapped as I was pulling into my mates estate, thank jaysus it happened here tho and not on a dual carriageway !

Today I:

Cleaned the front sprocket cover after driving a week on my new chain. There was a ton of grinding paste right in there. From now on I'll be moving away from using sticky chain lube because this is the second time in 4 months it's collected this much.

Gave my chain it's first adjustment. It took a half of a turn. I'm hoping not to have to adjust it again for a few hundred miles.

My loobman chain oiler got cleaned and I removed the 10w40 from it. In this cold I found it was moving very slowly and it would gunk up around the plastic part which meets the sprocket. So I filled it with ATF fluid.

I cleaned my rear tyre. It had oil around the outside. I think this was just from working on the bike.

This all took a few hours. Got rained on but kept at it in the freezing cold.

Today I:

Cleaned the front sprocket cover after driving a week on my new chain. There was a ton of grinding paste right in there. From now on I'll be moving away from using sticky chain lube because this is the second time in 4 months it's collected this much.

Gave my chain it's first adjustment. It took a half of a turn. I'm hoping not to have to adjust it again for a few hundred miles.

My loobman chain oiler got cleaned and I removed the 10w40 from it. In this cold I found it was moving very slowly and it would gunk up around the plastic part which meets the sprocket. So I filled it with ATF fluid.

I cleaned my rear tyre. It had oil around the outside. I think this was just from working on the bike.

This all took a few hours. Got rained on but kept at it in the freezing cold.

Be careful wiz, I remember when I got my scottoiler 1st there was oil on the back wheel. Turned out I had the flow on too high and it was flicking onto the back tyre! Not a good idea :p

So just make sure it is from working on the boike and not from the auto luber!

Hopefully arranged a sale for the 950 next Saturday so if that works out I should be coming home from the UK with an SMR on 23rd February :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭Mr Sheen!

batman_oh wrote: »
    Hopefully arranged a sale for the 950 next Saturday so if that works out I should be coming home from the UK with an SMR on 23rd February :D

Seen yours up for sale. Gorgeous bike. Best of look with the new yoke. Make sure to put up some pictures.

leppla wrote: »
    Seen yours up for sale. Gorgeous bike. Best of look with the new yoke. Make sure to put up some pictures.

Cheers - the 950 has been great over the past two years. Just want that SMR too much though - the white and orange (and the fancy brakes, wheels and full akra!) sold it :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭JimmyCrackCorn

Today i cocked up. In style.

Over the weekend i took a shortcut and shortened a piece of fuel hose to get rid of a frayed section. I was rushing and should have replaced the hose....

Left it a little too short and it pulled off the pump enough that it wiggled loose on the way to work. Must have pulled it fitting the tank as it should have been longer and more secure....

Lucky me it was lashing rain and i didnt end up in a ball of flames, utterly stupid on my part.....

Thats what prevents me from getting one. I know I would be guaranteed to tear off at some point without taking it off.

My plan today is to adjust the chain and give a good clean and lube. Hopefully the neighbour will be back soon as the post man dropped my new stand at the neighbours. Old one is done for.

I'm pretty sure the neighbour gas stolen the stand. Lol.
    Postman dropped it 20 houses away from my house. Never seen them out of the house before. I called around the past 4 nights, she finally answered, drunk at 5 pm on a tuesday. Hallway covered in old papers and empty bottles. Denied getting the package.

I can see this being a load of effort.

Today I tested my ABS on Bolton St ~ They work and I'm here to tell the tell :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,476 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

I'm pretty sure the neighbour gas stolen the stand. Lol.
    Postman dropped it 20 houses away from my house. Never seen them out of the house before. I called around the past 4 nights, she finally answered, drunk at 5 pm on a tuesday. Hallway covered in old papers and empty bottles. Denied getting the package.

I can see this being a load of effort.

Not your problem and not your problem to follow up with the 'delivery' company either. It's the seller's responsibility. If they don't cooperate then do a chargeback.

Scrap the cap!

The other day I sent the 950 out to get a new chain and sprockets in NDM. today I received a pic of what should be my new bike once everything works out with the sale! Roll on February 23rd :D

990SMR2_zpsb0faa02d.jpg

tonight I:

Fit my givi rack back on the bike to bring a cake into work tomorrow.

Grr, easier to take off the damn yoke!

• Advertisement

ninja900 wrote: »
    Not your problem and not your problem to follow up with the 'delivery' company either. It's the seller's responsibility. If they don't cooperate then do a chargeback.

Turns out the courier just wrote the wrong address on the note.
    The other neighbour dropped over the package. \o/

Angry. I can't get the rear axel nut loose. The mechanic was the last person to have the rear wheel off and must have tightened the **** out of it.

I put a pipe on the end of the wrench too but no joy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

I just cleaned the fook out of the area in and around the front sprocket.

Cleaned and lubed the chain and sprockets

Swapped out the stripped master cylinder screws (took fooking ages).

Yet the bike is still manky... anyone wanna clean her for me? :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 896 ✭✭✭blu3r0ri0n

Washed and polished the fz6, cleaned, oiled and adjusted the chain. Rode the ****e out of her for a few hours and now she's durty again :D

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭Mr Sheen!

blu3r0ri0n wrote: »
    Washed and polished the fz6, cleaned, oiled and adjusted the chain. Rode the ****e out of her for a few hours and now she's durty again :D

Good man blu get the bucket out again:pac::pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,575 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

today, I put my new tax disc on the bike..........

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭KamiKazi

Almost ready to start getting her race ready...

blade_zpsa8d011b5.jpg

Makikomi were you out and about today in Trim? We were having a scram and could have swore ou roared by......

Oh and I picked myself up a cracking little bike trailer for £250 :)

trailer_zpse7fa36c8.jpg

I wrote off my bike on Friday evening. It was more my fault than theirs. Exhausted going home I thought I seen a green light to go but it was another set of lights. Pulled out while the left side traffic had an amber/red. Smack.

I'm physically okay (so so lucky to be walking). In few weeks Ill be mended. But my bike is gone forever. I really loved that Fazer. It protected be in it's last dying moments by apparently high siding me out of the accident. I don't remember any of it but a guy who seen it explained what happened.

I'll now have a claim and 0 no claims discount. People keep telling me things could be worse but I still feel like sh1t.

I wrote off my bike on Friday evening. It was more my fault than theirs. Exhausted going home I thought I seen a green light to go but it was another set of lights. Pulled out while the left side traffic had an amber/red. Smack.

I'm physically okay (so so lucky to be walking). In few weeks Ill be mended. But my bike is gone forever. I really loved that Fazer. It protected be in it's last dying moments by apparently high siding me out of the accident. I don't remember any of it but a guy who seen it explained what happened.

I'll now have a claim and 0 no claims discount. People keep telling me things could be worse but I still feel like sh1t.

Sorry to hear about that man.

Chin up, it's not the end of the world. Bikes can be replaced.

In 6 months when you're out for a spin on a nice summers day on your new bike you won't give a fvck about this accident, so don't worry too much about it now!

Oh and you're a true biker when you crash and immediately care more about the damage to your bike than the damage to yourself :pac:

• Advertisement
Advertisement